PDA

View Full Version : Gta IV

jared14
03-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Rockstar games announced a partnership with the award-winning developer of 3D animation technology based on Dynamic Motion Synthesis (DMS). This means we should see these kinds of physics in gta 4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkCzs79r7Ks

This is exciting news, but so is this. Rockstar has started a countdown for gta 4's first trailer.
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

wakefan
03-02-2007, 03:53 AM
When you go to the official site of Grand Theft Auto 4, Their is a timer of when the first trailer game will come out. It is believe that the 1st trailer will be released march 29. The timer is counting down, so see now!

AlianAnt
03-02-2007, 05:42 AM
OMFG ONE MONTH!

And the DMS stuff.... gawd dayum. I can't freakin' wait now. I wonder when/where GTA4 will be set.

Morry
03-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Ah, good ol' Euphoria. An excellent concept of blending model scripting and physics. This is where games should be heading rather than simply increasing polygon counts.

jared14
03-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Im not expecting to see real ingame footage in the first trailer, but i do hope that it will help reveal the setting, protagonist, or time period.

Ranger_
03-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Im not expecting to see real ingame footage in the first trailer, but i do hope that it will help reveal the setting, protagonist, or time period.

Rockstar has never used CGI at all in the games or in the trailers so I doubt they will break tradition.

jared14
03-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Rockstar has never used CGI at all in the games or in the trailers so I doubt they will break tradition.

I didnt mean that it would probably be cgi, i just meant that there wont be any ingame gameplay footage. Maybe cutscenes that are running on the engine, though.

Ranger_
03-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Oh I see. Yeah, most of their trailers are set up like theatrical trailers.

jared14
03-24-2007, 09:13 PM
As many of you have probably heard, an email was sent out by R* reconfirming that the trailer would debu on march 29 6pm EST with "Things will be different" at the end. Looks like there will be some innovation in ways not expected. Possibly an MMO multiplayer option.... atleast this trailer in 5 days will definitely suprise us.

Coak
03-25-2007, 10:00 AM
MMO would be too much IMO. Some kind of multiplayer freeroam would be cool (dreaming of a roadtrip with my friends around the whole state of San Andreas, singing), but not thousands of players with everyone shooting and cars exploding all around you.
"Things will be different" may just refer to the change of engine or setting. The GTA3 trilogy used up the three cities from the original GTA, so I could kinda expect GTA IV to be set in the huge gloomy future metropolis that was featured in GTA II or at least somewhere similar. Something between that and Carcer City would be good too :heh:
But hey, time will tell, just 4 days left.

AlianAnt
03-26-2007, 12:37 AM
I get the feeling it'ill be set in Europe. No offence to you Europeans, that would be SO not cool. I was looking forward to a futuristic setting.

Onjoo
03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Judging by the the state of this morning’s tea leaves GTA 4 will take place in New York ;)

3 days left :hyper:

guaps
03-26-2007, 01:16 PM
I've read alot of rumors about GTA4 set in New York City, however I would still want to have a large rural area to explore like in GTASA.

Mayby a New England setting between NYC, Boston and Toronto/Montreal would work nicely.

AlianAnt
03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Well, theres no New York in GTA. The world is fictional. We've been to GTA's New York before. I think either they'ill do one GIGANTIC city, or an entire country, wich would be an extreme undertaking.

Coak
03-26-2007, 07:39 PM
They could make an island in the shape of Great Britain with their version of London and maybe even some american cities too on there :heh:

jared14
03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
MMO would be too much IMO. Some kind of multiplayer freeroam would be cool (dreaming of a roadtrip with my friends around the whole state of San Andreas, singing), but not thousands of players with everyone shooting and cars exploding all around you.
"Things will be different" may just refer to the change of engine or setting. The GTA3 trilogy used up the three cities from the original GTA, so I could kinda expect GTA IV to be set in the huge gloomy future metropolis that was featured in GTA II or at least somewhere similar. Something between that and Carcer City would be good too :heh:
But hey, time will tell, just 4 days left.

Well Sam Houser said that they need to take the "third leap" to really make an impact, just like the 2nd leap from gta 2 to gta 3.... and he clued it to be involved with online playability. The "things will be different" most likely has to do with a change that is not obvious or will suprise people. Everyone knows that there will be a different graphics and physics engine...that is obvious. It may be refering to the setting, or time period. Who knows, maybe it will be in 1st person.(hopes not:( )

guaps
03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
We've been to GTA's New York before.
Hmm...it must be one of those PSP games then, 'cause I've never played in GTA's New York before.

I've only played the pre-3d GTA's and the GTA III trilogy, which is based on Seattle (GTA III), Miami (GTAVC) and San Francisco, Las Vegas, LA (GTASA)

Maddieman
03-27-2007, 03:45 PM
I think Liberty City is generally considered to be based on NY - Staunton Island is especially obvious with it's version of central park and times square.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_City_%28Grand_Theft_Auto%29

However, it seems that after Sept 11th, some changes were made to things like the paint scheme on the police cars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:GTAIII_LCPD_copcar_change.jpg

As for GTA4, I can't see them directly using real life locations as they've already demonstrated that basing a fictional world around a real location works just as well, and gives them more creative freedom & flexibility. But we shall see soon enough. :)

Coak
03-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I could expect the new big innovation to be something like "taking the concept of a living, breathing game world to the next level by utilising episodic content", which would mean you can buy a new building or a car to add to the game every week or so :/

Maddieman
03-27-2007, 09:46 PM
^Wouldn't surprise me either, and not all that far from what they're doing already with the 'stories' games. The main benefit (besides exploring a connected GTA 'world') is that the engine would remain the same, or constantly update as new chapters, cities, & features are added -- so stuff like drowning in the water, or riding bikes, etc wouldn't be unique to some games and not others. Not really that innovative for gameplay, though.

If they're going to make evolutionary improvements, refining the on-foot interactivity, level of detail, and gun-combat seems like a logical step. San Andreas took some major steps in that field, but was still limited -- e.g. you could go into a bar and play pool with an npc, but you couldn't buy a drink or talk to anyone. The combat is fun, but more about luck, reactions and preparation than skill.

Adding combat rolls, aiming, stealth, and novelty weapons were a great addition to GTA: SA, but personally, I'd say Max Payne is the benchmark here -- a lot of GTA clones tried to do both (Max Payne combat/interactivity & GTA scope), and only proved how difficult it is to make a game that is actually three games in one (exploring, shooting, driving) and do all of them exceptionally well. There's a lot of constraints, and significant changes only make the game exponentially bigger. That said, some of the stuff proposed for San Andreas sounded improbable at the time, compared to the previous games.

If they go for the revolutionary 'leap' in gameplay, I think multiplayer would be the most effective and likely introduction. It's been a long time coming, almost everyone wants it, and it would breathe new life into the existing gameplay. San Andrea's co-op mode, though limited, is incredibly fun and frantic when you get the right players together. There's nothing like the frantic moments when you trash your car and have to find a new one while trying to hold off the police. Also, that multiplayer mod for Vice City showed that there's a whole scope for gangs and 'cops and robbers' type of games.

MMO style would be interesting (the guys who made Crackdown are doing just this -- not surprising that some of them worked on the original GTA games), because of the potential for gang culture and job structures -- e.g. you could choose to join a gang, become a police officer, or just be a civillian. That said, without proper organisation, it would probably break down into a large scale deathmatch, much like the riot and crazy civillian cheats in GTA3.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of traditional multiplayer modes like deathmatch, capture the flag, street racing, etc, in games like this. They work well, but a game like GTA has much better potential for more imaginative games. Games that would probably work well might be:

Vigilante mode (cops and robbers, basically) -- works well in sp, but has tons of multiplayer potential.

Riot/Warriors mode -- gangs of players 'get it on' in massive melee brawl, or it could be last man standing.

Hitman -- 1-4 players are contract killers (as a team, or rivals), the other players are targets, or bodyguards. It's a race to find and eliminate the target, or neutralise the threat. This would work well IMO -- lots of different ways it could play out, and having rival hitmen adds a competitive element to it.

A Co-op and counter-op versions of the regular singleplayer game and missions would work well also.

Well, there's tons of things that could be done, and if they're going to do proper multiplayer, now's the best time for it. :)

Morry
03-27-2007, 10:13 PM
NPC schedules could be another thing that is implemented. Though with the size of the gameworld, it would be a challenge. Doesn't mean every character has to be individual, you could have gang behaviour classed as a single entity that moves around the game world.

Onjoo
03-28-2007, 12:02 PM
This just in...

GTA IV Xbox 360 exclusive? (http://www.xboxic.com/news/2655)

sidetwo
03-28-2007, 01:24 PM
That would be interesting if it's true :D

I'd be fine since I have a 360 but I can imagine the outrage from PS3 owners if that was true.

Maddieman
03-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Sounds like it's reading between the lines, but if it were true I guess that could really hurt the PS3. I'm more interested in what it says underneath about Take 2 being in financial trouble -- kind of implies that MS might take them over. Sounds extremely unlikely, but interesting all the same.

I guess there's a lot riding on tomorrow's trailer. ;)

guaps
03-28-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm more interested in what it says underneath about Take 2 being in financial trouble -- kind of implies that MS might take them over. Sounds extremely unlikely, but interesting all the same.

A Microsoft takeover of Take Two rumor has been going on for quite some time now. Many people expect it to be true, especially since Take Two has postponed its annual meeting scheduled for March 23, 2007 until March 29, 2007 - the same day the GTA IV trailer is revealed.

AlianAnt
03-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Hmmm... going to GTA4.com right now (an hour after the trailer's release) shows a 404 error. I think the server crashed.

guaps
03-29-2007, 09:26 PM
You're too early, there still half an hour until the trailer is released.

-JLN-
03-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Can't believe the frickin site is down :(

guaps
03-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I've been having the page open for the last 40 minutes, and now nothing ...

AlianAnt
03-29-2007, 10:09 PM
I was right. The internet would imploded the second the GTA4 trailer is finished.

guaps
03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Actually the internet implode before the GTAIV trailer started

AlianAnt
03-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, I suppose I'll go back to bed. Perhaps when I wake up it will be possible to access.

guaps
03-29-2007, 10:21 PM
After 20 minutes, I've now submitted my birthday on the trailer site .. mayby within the next 20 minutes I'll be able to see the trailer.

AlianAnt
03-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Well, maby you'll start downloading the trailer. But it'ill probably be going at 2kb/s and then crash a few times.

-JLN-
03-29-2007, 10:23 PM
If I hear the words "We didn't anticipate such a high demand" from Rockstar I'm going to eat puppy.

AlianAnt
03-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Undoubtedly they will. See you better go buy a puppy now.

guaps
03-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Now I'm on the trailer site - but nothings happened so far, so I'm still waiting ...

guaps
03-29-2007, 10:42 PM
It's New York City :)

AlianAnt
03-29-2007, 10:43 PM
....what?

guaps
03-29-2007, 10:46 PM
yes, New York City - the whole city by the looks of it.

Coak
03-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Heh, they should have expected something like this, it's like a DDoS attack - a huge amount of computers making requests to the server at the same time :D

There's already something about this on Wikipedia: The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto IV was released on March 29, 2007 at 22:00 UTC. At the time the trailer was released, it was available for about a minute before being completely overloaded. This trailer shows that GTA IV is set in Liberty City (New York City) and the main character is an immigrant with an Eastern European accent, who says, "Life is complicated. - I killed people, smuggled people, sold people. Perhaps here, things will be different." It shows Times Square as well as many other familiar landmarks. All of the cars and buildings seem to indicate a present-day setting. The trailer parodied Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi as it used Philip Glass's original music from the film as well as emluated time-lapsed filming.

guaps
03-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Its fantastic .. I'm hyped about this game

AlianAnt
03-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, I'm currently downloading at 17kb/s from gametrailers. One hour to go! Wooooooo!

guaps
03-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Here ... right-click and save

http://media10.xboxyde.com/df49f4bc74a67f54ff563524341f45f3/gta4_trailer_lq.wmv

Maddieman
03-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Opps, I knew there was something I was meant to remember today - completely forgot about it. :doh:

Now loading the trailer... :hyper:

EDIT: Seen it -- looks impressive! :)

AlianAnt
03-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Low quality? :(

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep downloading the 720p version, while I watch the low quality one.

guaps
03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah, sorry about the lq version, but my computer isn't fast enough to play 720p trailers :(

Coak
03-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the link, guaps :)

20 more minutes of download for me. I need a better internet connection :(

AlianAnt
03-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Holy crap! That definately puts the whole "GTA games can't look that good because theres so much crap comming in through the pipe" deal to rest. I could have done with more... ya know... explotions.

Ugh.... I have a friend telling me that it doesn't look as good as Saint's Row.......

||G||
03-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Trailer looks awesome! Looks like it's based on and older New York but I couldn't see the Twin Towers anywhere so maybe not? I'm already pretty certain you can fly planes, since in all GTAs you can plus all the detail on rooves is a good sign.:) CANT WAIT!

-JLN-
03-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Those graphics are insane, for any kind of game, never mind a GTA. Nice to get an idea of where it's set, but I wish it'd have given a little taste of when it's set, and what new stuff this one is going to bring to the table.

Guess we'll have to wait and see for the whole gameplay side of things though :(

Maddieman
03-30-2007, 05:01 AM
The plot thickens...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158369

AlianAnt
03-30-2007, 05:30 AM
Sheesh, I thought take-two was a little in the tank, but five quarters of losses even though they have the best selling console game series (by far, the Halo games have sold about half as much)? I'd oust them too.

guaps
03-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm looking forward to playing Borat in GTA IV ;)

jared14
03-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Here is a good shot by shot breakdown of any clues left behind from this trailer. http://planetgrandtheftauto.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=90&comment_page=2

Notice that there is a sign that says "Visit Vice City 300$." For all we know, there could be multiple cities in Gta 4, and I wouldnt put it past R* to do so. Also there is a gaseous substance coming out of some air conditioner device in one pic which could indicate that it is cold, and that there may be seasons.

Maddieman
03-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Seasons? Not sure, but the colour of the trees in some shots seem to suggest it's autumn/fall.

endo
04-01-2007, 05:29 PM
yup its definately shaping up to be awesome, i love the lighting effects, and the cars are brilliant

remade
04-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Wow! Look awesome!
Definitely want to play it! :hyper: :hyper:

I hope story will be better this time.
I don't really like stories of previously gta's.Too negligible.
Of course,gameplay is always been fantastic.

RTsa
04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Except, it hasn't. The fighting was terrible in GTAIII and Vice City. San Andreas had it better, but if I remember correctly there's still some ways to go with it.

jared14
04-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Except, it hasn't. The fighting was terrible in GTAIII and Vice City. San Andreas had it better, but if I remember correctly there's still some ways to go with it.

Yea gta 4 has room to improve in so many ways... thats why Im looking forward to future gen. gta titles since I loved them so much last gen. and yet they were lacking so much in certain areas.

Kahr
04-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Goddamn, GTA IV looks nice!

EXCITED!

guaps
04-10-2007, 09:08 PM
The May issue of Game Informer has been released, and here are the details about GTA IV:

- Niko Bellic is the main character.

- Multi-player will be included.

- Liberty City is the only location in the game, so don't expect any planes.

- You have a lot of choice over what you want to do. You still have to take orders from people during missions, but you can also choose how you want to spend your time, e.g "I want to hang out with him, or her... I want to go see this guy 'cause he always has something to do..."

- The story unfolds in a number of different ways. R* is giving people more freedom, more choice and more sense of control over their destiny - the structure of the storyline is quite different to previous games.

- The Xbox 360 version was the version shown to the magazine editors.

Also the "things will be different" also applies to the gameplay. So we shouldn't expect the same kind of GTA we're used to.

jared14
04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=273801
Scans of GI for gta 4. Also you can find all the text that the preview has to offer here. "All of the screenshots in this article were taken on an Xbox 360 debug unit, but are not representative of the final quality of the graphics. In the coming months, the game will only look better" - Sam Houser (Game Informer)

Like Bellic, Grand Theft Auto is traveling to a place where many people have gone to find the so-called "American Dream." Some people call it the Capital of the World. Others have learned that it is the City That Never Sleeps. No matter what you call it, New York City is a place where anything can happen. It is the biggest stage in the world, and the perfect place to usher in the next step for the series.
This new enty marks a number of dramatic changes for the sries, but it isn't Grand Theft Auto merging with the real world. New York City doesn't exsist in this universe, and it likely never will. The Big Apple is simply being used as an inspiration bluepoint for the re-cretaion of Liberty City, a place some gamers have gotten to know better than their hometowns. While the original Liberty City took many visual cues from New York City, this dramatic reinvention of the fictional metropolis seeks to capture the feel of the world's greatest city like never before.
Despite its incredibly large stature, the next installment in the sries has remained one of the best kept secrets in the world. Rumours have swirled and speculation has been raised, but nothing that you've heard or read is even close to the truth. Some people thought Grand Theft Auto IV was going to become a massively multi-player experience; others were certain the game would take place across the entire world. A few misinformed souls even thought the next iteration would be set in space. The truth of the matter, however, is that it's going back to the city that made this series a phenomenon.
The new Liberty City is a bustling metropolis that is dense on the streets and intimidating vertically. Many of New York City's iconic sights find new homes here, and may look strikingly similar, but are twisted to fit into the Grand Theft Auto world. The MetLife building now bears the name Getalife, the Stature of Liberty is now the Stature of Happiness, and DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) is called BOABO (Beneath the Offramp of the Algonquin Bridge Overpass).
"We live here," notes the game's vice president of creative Dan Houser, "We've been here for a number of years. Even the guys in Scotland spend lots of time here with us. It was an enviroment we felt had never been done to the level we were envisioning it in a video game. From looking at all of the locations, this was the one that really stood out to us, and really had that impact. It has all of these iconic things that you couldn't put into a game before."
Within Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar North has recreated four of the five boroughs that make up New York City, as well as a section of New Jersey. It's a smaller geographical mass than San Andreas, but not an inch of this world is wasted or dedicated to vast streches of country or desert. It's a tightly packed metropolis that captures the eye with its decades of world-class architecture, sun-blocking towers, and extraordinary walks of life. In the GTA universe, Brooklyn has been transformed to Broker, Manhatten has mutated into Algonquin,Queens is now Dukes, The Bronx is Bohan, and New Jersey has become Alderney.
"It's not the full city", injects Houser, "It's an approximation thereof. We make a city that feels like the real thing, but is perfectly tuned for gameplay in the broadest sense. The world is not designed to be a video game. We are trying to make a video game that feels like the world, but still plays like a video game."
The design of the city and the missions that unfold within it are designed hand-in-hand and complement each other perfectly. Everything in this world is here for a reason, where it is directly tied to gameplay or simply there to create atmmosphere.
"We are trying to give the city next-generation life. Trying to give it the feeling of being there. The feeling of - which to us is always a big part of a GTA game - walking the streets or driving them slowly, watching the life go by, trying to make that a lot more engaging," says Houser.
"We are trying to make this something that is more fun, more believeable, more alive than it has ever been. That is something we've done a huge amount of work on. To give lots of varied behaviors to the pedestrians, more context sensitive, more dependant on the environment.
Something that we've done bits of in the past, and really blow that out. When you see the streets, and see that this person's smoking, another person is on the phone, and this other person is sitting on a bench, it looks amazing. It feels a lot more real than just a lot of people walking down the street."

This city is brought to life with an amazing level of realism. Sunlight glistens beautifully off of glasswork, illuminates the intricate detailing of century old brick, and even reveals how realistic an ordinary bag of trash can look. As the sun begins to set the city takes on a whole different appearance. Buildings that were once eye popping attractions slowly become ominous obelisks. As any New Yorker will tell you, there is a big difference between New York during the day and New York at night. Liberty City will perfectly capture this quality.

Even the texturing of the Algonquin streets, which are filled with crater-like potholes and occasional glimpses of the brick used in a world gone by, are greatly varied in design and something you can't tear your eye from. The visual makeup of the city "was something we could capture real well and really understand the minute aspects of its personality," adds Houser. "Trying to put that into a videogame is something that we think is unique to the video game medium. It was a way that we could capture some aspects of the experience of living there that you couldn't put into a film, you couldn't put into a TV show, and you couldn't put into a book - because you are actually wandering about and meeting some of the freaks that you meet on the streets here. And that's what it is all about - meeting the same kind of the freaks that you meet on the streets, the angry yuppies you'd met there. A big part of New York life is walking around the streets and meeting lunatics. That's something that we definitely tried to put into the game. We are trying to give it that life and difference between the neighborhoods and the difference between the kinds of people. We are tying to capture that Capital of the World aspect of New York. There are lots of non-American characters in the game."

One of these foreigners is Niko Bellic. His home is in Eastern Europe, and he likely may never have traveled to Liberty City if it wasn't for his cousin Roman. With life not working out in the homeland, "Bellic turns up in Liberty City because he has been receiving emails from his cousin Roman, that read like: 'I love this amazing life, it's the American Dream come true. I have two women. I have 4 hot tubs. I have fifteen sports cars,'"

jared14
04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
The demo we were fortunate enough to see, running on an XBOX 360, begins with Bellic standing inside of the taxi depot that Roman runs of the borough of Broker in a converted industrial garage. The game's newfound graphical muscle dances across the screen. Roman's desk is cluttered with garbage and paperwork, the walls desperately need a new coat of paint, and the windows of the depot appear to never have been cleaned. The sun is shining brightly outside, but you wouldn't know it from the light that is passing through the windows, a dirty, yellowish hue that barely gives off enough illumination for operations to be conducted. The only life that this office has is a radio belting out music in ear-piercing mono, and Bellic, standing tall, confident, and ready for action.

While Bellic could do his cousin a favor by tidying up the place, he has other buisness to take care of. As he leaves the office, you feel the weight behind each step he makes. Variations in the terrain are met with realistic changes in the walking animation. As Bellic turns and maneuvers his body in different ways on the walk, you can see that his movements are fueled by an incredible physics engine.

"The physics are going to be pretty amazing," Houser interjects. "We are trying, like all things with the game, to push the physics forward. Physics is an area where games can get much better. If you are into third-person action games, physics need to be amazing. The feeling of controlling your character needs to be amazing. The feeling of running around that environment, climbing over things, needs to be a lot more than it has been. The animationsn can't feel canned and predictable. One of our biggest goals early in development is that it should feel different than any other game. It shouldn't be 'Oh here's a really good looking, but stiff character'"

Bellic is anything but stiff and it would appear that he isn't the most sensitive or honest lad around, either. His walk concludes at a brown-stone. Despite the two people - friends, possibly neighbors - having a conversation on the stoop next door, Bellic pushes the door open - again a motion fueled by the sense of weight and a realistic accompanying animation. It becomes obvious that this isn't Bellic's house, as he quickly clings too a wall and pulls out a pistol.

One quick look around the corner reveals that the living room, furnished in '70s browns and greens, is not occupied. Bellic slowly slides into the room with his pistol drawn high and pointed to a well-lit kitchen. With one leg stepping over the other in a strafing motion, he then sees that the kitchen is clear as well. There's nobody in this small house. The urgency in his steps intensifies, and he pushes his way through the back door.
Once on the street, he makes a beeline for a parked car - a beautifully detailed and finely polished red four-door that appears to be the primary mode of transportation for one of the brokers successful families. Instead of trying the handle to see if the car is unlocked, Bellic smashes the window with his elbow. The glass tumbles on the street and seat as Bellic unlocks the door from the inside. A master of hotwiring, he has the car roaring in a second flat. As he drives to his next destination, Houser points out that all the vehicles in the game also feature new physics. The camera angle behind the car is noticeably closer than it has been in any other Grand Theft Auto. Not only does this bring out better detail in the vehicles, it allows players to see more of the verticality of the city.
After fussing with the radio stations and finding a calming melody for his drive, Bellic cautiously navigates a section of the BOABO arriving at a dockside area with an amazing view of downtown Liberty and it's skyline. At the dock, the squawks of pigeons and the rustling of waves drown out the horns and chatter of the city's residents and you can almost sense that Bellic is calmed by the change in scenery. After walking directly over to the water, which looks completely lifelike, he puts a leg up onto a broken concrete wall and pulls out his cell phone onto the HUD. The options presented on the phones LCD are Phonebook, Messages, Organizer and Camera. After selecting Phonebook, Bellic is faced with another set of options: City Contact, Docks Friend and Cab Contact. We're not sure who Bellic ends up calling, but after a brief conversation, he informs the man on the other end of the line to meet him at the docks. A New Level Of Freedom.

"In all the previous GTA games you might have felt like a slave," opinions Houser. "You are ordered by people to do things. Now, there's still going to be an element of that because you are an underlying that people tell what to do for large parts of the game, but you can also choose how you want to spend your time. I want to hang out with him and her. I want to go and see this guy because he always has fun things to do. Call him up and maybe you can hang with him. Maybe he'll answer. That's a fun way of navigating the story and navigating the world and your time in it. You have a lot of choice over what you want to do."
Storytelling is a huge focus in this next installment, and it will be reflected through the various ways you can interact with the city and its denizens. According to Houser, Rockstar North is giving people more freedom, more choice and more sense of control over the destiny. The game still follows and narrative path, but it's quite different in it's structure. "The story is told in a number of different ways," adds Houser. "But we've tried to replicate as many ways possible that you engage with people. There's talking [in person], cell phones and a bunch of other way of giving the player information. We are trying to use that kind of stuff to give you back a front story, or to explain character motivation."
"You still meet people, get missions by them, do the missions, and if you do well they will help you. Or they may stab you in the back. We tried to provide more diversity in the missions. We tried to provide certain choices about the missions. We've tried to give branches that maybe give you a critical choice, new ways of interacting with characters, and new ways of interacting with the world. It's a different kind of experience." In previous GTA titles, the goal was always very clear cut. You start out small and work your way up to the top. Bellic's story isn't a rag-to-riches tale, nor is it rags-to-rags. It's rags to somewhere in between - leaving a word of imagination as to where his actions will bring him - especially with Rockstar hinting heavily at the idea of players plotting there own destiny. When asked about this, Houser points out that "you are just one fish in the big pond of the other fish. New York motivation isn't just about turning up here and becoming king. That's an impossible goal"
Over the last console generation, GTA has become a series of period pieces. Vice city was set in the '80s, and San Andreas took place in the '90s. Not since GTA III, a game also featuring Liberty City, has Rockstar North approached a contemporary piece. In GTA I, we are stepping into Liberty city as seen in 2007. It's a bigger city, and a different age. These are both things that could have a huge effect on the way that you approach your criminal activities.
"From conversations we had with a lot of crime experts and a lot of ex-policemen, we learned that it's very hard to be a criminal nowadays," Houser says with a smile. "The glory days of stuff are over. That was something we definitely tried to capture in the story and the experience of the game. People are constantly getting arrested. The police are a heavy presence."

In terms of scale, this GTA experience shouldn't be much different than San Andreas.' The only noticeable difference is that players won't be able to pilot airplanes. "There are no planes because it's just a city," adds Houser. "Apart from the fact that [the vehicles] are similar. We want it to feel realistic and gritty. [Bellic] is not going to be riding a unicycle or rollerblading. We are giving choice and variety that feels right for that character. We're not suddenly saying there are no motorbikes. We are keeping all of that stuff. It's the same range and diversity that we had but to fit the character."
Speaking of elements of the game that bring out the realism of the character, Houser admits that Rockstar North is approaching the recruitment of voice actors in a different way. Reading between the lines, this likely means less familiar voices, and more voices that fit the desired attitude of the characters. Bellic's deep Eastern European accent fits his gritty exterior, and the chatter heard in streets just screams New York.
The same thought process is being applied to the soundtrack and radio stations. "we've raided the past heavily," Houser admits. "We are going to get some great music that works with the 2007 Liberty City. We've set the benchmark for game soundtracks in the past, and I don't think we've been surpassed in that; I think we've done some really amazing stuff. I think we are going to do something wicked this time. We're pretty confident on that. It's a great way of giving you, the player, a part of the experience in a way no other medium can. You can have songs that fit your mood. I want this music to be hardcore because I am in a hardcore mood. Going out for a date with a girl, so I need something more romantic, We pick tracks that fit the tempo of the game. It's not a pedal-to-the-metal racing game. It's an urban cruising gangster game. We pick music that we think works with that kind of experience. It's got to be a certain temp or certain feel no mater what genre it's in. The debate that goes into every single track you would not believe. There are a large number of music fans that pick this stuff."

jared14
04-11-2007, 08:44 PM
With more realistic tones accompanying the visuals, it's easy to think this GTA experience will abandon the series' trademark humor for more serious content. It will certainly feel like more of a realistic experience, but the humor will still be fully intact. Whether you are listening to advertisements on the radio, hear someone mumble something on the street or read a billboard, Liberty City will still be a wild place. The same team with the same sense of humor, is bringing this game to life.
This is something that even now Houser finds amazing. "Some people talk about it like it's a franchise. I think of it as a series of games made by the same people. Since GTA III, we still have exactly the same people. We've added some great people on top of that, but it's the same two lead programmers, the same physics guy, same producer, same, executive producer, same writer, sane audio guys, same designers. They are all in place. No one's left. "That's what is so exciting. And what's been such a great experience for everyone involved in working on these games is that we managed to develop it as a core group together we haven't lost any of the key talent. They've added great people in there. That kind of consistency has given everyone confidence in working with each other, and an understanding of what we are trying to do, and an ambition that I don't think is matched anywhere else. Where people come and people go. and the franchise lives on. The franchise is he people who make this game - it's the core group of people. I think that's something that sets us apart from a lost of places."
It's that and the fact that the team is trying things that no one has ever done with video games. GTA brought a new definition to the Action genre, and showed us that not every decision that the player makes has to be linear and tide to a path. WIth GTA IV, the team is finding new ways to approach storytelling, movement and the level of interaction the player has within the world. This tight-knit team continues to improve with each new product it touches. Some of the content is amusing, like being able to call a woman for a date, And some of it's achievements simply blow your mind, such as load times. After an initial loading sequence, the game will never load again - even when you transition between interior and exterior locations.
Rather than outsourcing technology that Rockstar North utilizes, Rockstar as a whole has step up a studio of programmers in San Diego that does nothing but work on the companies proprietary technologies. The engine of note is called R.A.G.E (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine). You already got a bried taste of it with Table Tennis, and will get a much larger does when GTA IV hits the streets on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 on October 16.
Both versions of the game will likely be identical, but Rockstar has confirmed downloadable content will be exclusive to the Xbox 360 version. This content is said to be sizable, and when asked about whether or not we would see this impressive new take on Liberty City living on past one game Houser grins and says one thing: "episodic content." Like all of the GTAs that have come before this one, the experience is largely for the single player. The game will have multiplayer however. "Yes, there will be some," House comments. "It's not going to be a MMOG. But we are trying to make something that is interesting, fun and progressive and goes nicely alongside the single player game."
It's been in development for over three years and Houser isn't shy about admitting that this has been a lengthy experience already. "We knew to do something at this scale would take a very long time. Just to make graphics like that is very time consuming. The assets are big and heavy."
Whether it changes the face of gaming again like it did in the previous generation remains to be seen, but Rockstar North knows exactly where this series needs to go next, and is running that extra mile to get it there and make it a new experience yet again.
Houser equates the leap that this installment is making to that which the series made between the first GTA and GTa III.
This is a huge step to make - something that we haven't witnessed yet on the next-generation machines.
"Everyone always says, "Books tell you something, movies show you something and games let you do something.' [That is why games] were more interesting," says Houser. "And that was why games were going to take over. Games let you be somewhere. That's an amazing quality. That is something you just can't get from any other medium. The chance to exist in this fantasy world be it Liberty City, be it Mars, or wherever, I think is a really interesting side of what gamers are going to offer as an artistic medium and as an entertainment medium. What we tried to do this time was massively enhance the experience of being there. Completely transform it so that the way the story unfolds, the way you deal with characters, the way the world behaves, the things you can do all them give you this reason why you might want to be there and this, sensation of living in this world.

Sorry for triple posting but that was alot of information to fit in one post.

Maddieman
06-12-2007, 02:36 PM
So once again we wait for another trailer, this time the date is: 28th June

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/trailer_splash.html

I don't know when the screenshots were released, but they look pretty good too.

Maddieman
07-05-2007, 03:52 PM
So... what does everyone make of trailer 2 then? It came out last week.

AlianAnt
07-05-2007, 07:30 PM
At first all I could notice was the noticeably lower texture resolution, and lower lighting quality. But after watching it a few times, I think it looks just as good as before, if not better.

Maddieman
07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
At first all I could notice was the noticeably lower texture resolution, and lower lighting quality.

Actually, that struck me too. I'm going to download the HD version, see if it's better.

I guess the main thing that stood out for me (besides the strong new york look and feel, and dialogue), are the scenes with him hanging off the back of a truck and helecopter as they're moving -- that could be fun. What would be even better is if you could do that while riding a skateboard -- like in Back To The Future. :)

AlianAnt
07-06-2007, 04:19 AM
Well, the cool thing about those sequences, is the animations are probably driven using the euphoria engine. That thing alone will probably shake things up.

wakefan
07-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Hey i was just wondering if the cops in gta 4 will shoot you once you get 1 star just like in gta san andreas, or is it they pull you over give you a warning or put you to jail? does anyone know?

Onjoo
07-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Hey i was just wondering if the cops in gta 4 will shoot you once you get 1 star just like in gta san andreas, or is it they pull you over give you a warning or put you to jail? does anyone know?

No idea what so ever.. but hopefully that won't work like in Oblivion , where the guards can see through walls and arrest you just after you have done something wrong.

In GTA you can shoot the good guys and get more stars :hyper:
or run away..

M.O.T.H.
07-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Looks like last gen. player models in a new generation world...they really need to work on the people. They still have blocks for hands...eww.

Kahr
07-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Looks promising to me.

guaps
07-15-2007, 03:29 PM
It like to see some gameplay soon

Maddieman
07-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Short e3 preview from Shacknews:

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=428

wakefan
08-03-2007, 06:37 AM
The Game Has Been Delayed!!!!!!!!!!!! Why Did R* Have To Delay It. Now I Am Hella Pissed Off! This Was The Only Game I Was Going To Get This Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Morry
08-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Ah, the release date demon strikes again, Wakefan. One day you will learn to control your patience. Until then, just keep waiting until they announce gold status before getting too excited.
Myself, I am waiting on HL2 Ep 2, but knowing Valve's history, I am already expecting a delay of a month on top of the Oct 19 date.

AlianAnt
08-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I knew it was too good to be true, but this isn't a slight delay. This is a huge delay. I'm so disappointed :(

Maddieman
08-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Bummer. Although based on the e3 previews and demonstrations, an October release seemed ambitious.

Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter says Take-Two management has "stumbled badly for the first time" with the delay of GTA IV, and said that he believes difficulties porting the game to the PlayStation 3 are to blame and that the company's new green light policy appears to be a failure.

"We think it is likely," said Pachter, "that the Rockstar team had difficulty in building an exceptionally complicated game for the PS3, and failed to recognize how far away from completion the game truly was until recently."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14971

Morry
08-03-2007, 04:57 PM
I can't help but feel this event directly tarnishes the reputation of the PS3 to be a decent next generation console. Without trying to complain too much, it just seems that the PS3 has had problems from the start - with developers speaking out about development difficulties, expensive licensing, expensive components etc.
For the PS3 to directly delay a game that was scheduled to be released simultaneously on PS3 and 360, can only further damaged Sony's reputation. I hope for THQ's sake that they can talk their way out of this one.

AlianAnt
08-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Since when has this been a PS3 issue? Did I miss something?

Maddieman
08-04-2007, 04:01 PM
AlianAnt, did you read my previous post?

and said that he believes difficulties porting the game to the PlayStation 3 are to blame

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14971

and

Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick pegged the delay on its multi-platform release, saying, "Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14958

AlianAnt
08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Yes, I read your first post. But I'm currently not aware of the 360 being GTA4's main platform, and that they're actually just going to finish the 360 verison, and port it over to PS3.

The first link there is from a guy at Wedbush Morgan, which is an investment firm, saying that he thinks its due to the PS3; and the second link is just a general statement from Take-Two, but not actually pinning it on PS3.

Am I an idiot? Am I still missing something? Is Wedbush Morgan directly related to Take-Two?

Morry
08-05-2007, 02:02 AM
It's a well known fact that the Cell processor is difficult to program, many developers have had problems with developing their games upon the system. I know Valve has certainly announced their dislike of developing for the PS3 due to changes in the programming style.
Wedbush Morgan has clearly taken this in to account when creating their statement.

AlianAnt
08-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Hmmm, well. Why the hell do I have to wait because the PS3 isn't developer friendly?

Morry
08-06-2007, 12:55 AM
That was exactly my point (top of the page post).
We shouldn't have to wait due to difficulties with one platform, but they most likely have some deal to ensure that both versions are released at the same time.

-JLN-
08-08-2007, 02:35 AM
Wow, people like to point the finger at Sony, despite having nothing more than what some guy thinks might be the case to go on.
Also, this stuff about not wanting to wait for another consoles development problems seems silly.

Surely you don't believe that R* are going to have working, fully finished, ready to go gold copies of the X360 version of the game on October 16th, just waiting for the PS3 version to catch up do you? No, they'll be developing content for both right up until just before release. It's not as if you'd get the game on the promised release date if they suddenly decided tomorrow that they were going to cancel the PS3 version.

Also, just to note, I'm no fanboy, I'll be buying it for the 360 myself :D

afs
09-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I'm a 360 owner (or will be again, once I get it back from the shop) and would call myself an Xbot, but I don't think it's fair to blame Sony or the PS3. You have to take into account that R* has worked with the 360 before (Table Tennis), so they would already be familiar with building a game for it, where as this would be their first outing on the PS3, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

While I would try to pin world hunger on Sony, if I could, I can't in good conscience say the fault lies with them.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm also not blaming R*. This was just an unavoidable circumstance. Well, maybe it was avoidable, but there's very little that can be done about it now. Apart from complaining, which I'll be doing in spades. Who's with me?

mm87
12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Hello guys...
http://videogames.yahoo.com/xbox360/grand-theft-auto-iv/preview-1173418

Trailer countdown starts over!:hyper:

RTsa
12-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Just a few days to go...

When's the release date nowadays? Any word on the PC release?

mm87
12-03-2007, 08:03 PM
there isn't a confirmed definite date yet.All we know for now is that the game will be released somewhen between march-april 2008 and this is what R* have told us in a financial quarter report.Still fans are speculating that the release date might be sooner: most likely in Feb.Also speculated in GTA forums is that the exact release date might be made public at the end of the coming trailer.
As for the PC release,unfortunately there has been no official news on this though in a related poll in GTA forums (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=284113&st=1180),people have voted an estimate of 83% that a PC version is very likely to come out.I'm also looking forward for any probable news affirming possibility of a PC release,as i won't be playing the game on any console(the same with Alan Wake).

Onjoo
12-06-2007, 08:15 PM
It's here :

Official Site :
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/?play=trailer3

Gametrailers.com :
Standard Definition http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28634.html
High Definition http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28633.html

-JLN-
12-06-2007, 11:41 PM
On a scale of 1-10, that looks frickin awesome tbh.

Cannot wait. Still hoping for more info about the gameplay and multiplayer though :(

Zolleks
12-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Looks alright, but there seems to be some sort of weird gloss/glow on the graphicle quality for some reason, not really digging that.

ALoNE
12-09-2007, 07:18 PM
http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoL77Oyqys

Ost from 3 trailer is russian) King ring. Why RG choose that idiot music?

Maddieman
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Looks alright, but there seems to be some sort of weird gloss/glow on the graphicle quality for some reason, not really digging that.

Yeah I noticed that too; I'm still loving those daylight shots though. :)

Also, I can't help thinking that the main character looks uncannily like Gordon Frohman (http://www.hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2005-05-02). :D
(sorry if I just ruined the game for everyone :lol:)

Kahr
12-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Haha. Good one. :lol:

X360Ghost
01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Finally the 'spring 2008' gets a more accurate date, Rockstar ha announced the official release date for GTA IV: April 29 worldwide:dancing:

Maddieman
02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Rockstar have now launched the GTA4 site properly now:

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

guaps
03-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Not long until release now... can't wait to see some gameplay videos. If been reading about this game for far too long and need to see it in action soon!!

godot
04-26-2008, 03:27 PM
GTA IV rated 10/10 by IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p1.html
Apparently, this is the first perfect score out of IGN in ~9 years.

Dark River
04-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Only two days left, for us Ozzies/Kiwis

AlianAnt
04-27-2008, 02:48 AM
If this thing doesn't ship to me from Gamefly on Monday, I'm gonna pop a blood vessel. I don't have the money to buy it, and if I'm not one of the first people to get it from Gamefly, then it'll be a LONG time until I do.

AlianAnt
04-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Since I can't edit my above post, sorry for the double.

Welp, reviews are surfacing, so if anyone would like to know the scores GTAIV is getting:

OXM (Official Xbox Magazine) = 10/10
If I'm not mistaken, that's the first 10/10 they've ever given. But the last issue I got was get Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory review issue, so that could have changed by now. But still...

PSM (Official Playstation Magazine) = 10/10

IGN = 10/10
The first 10/10 IGN has given in almost a decade. The last 10/10 they gave was to Soul Calibur in 1999.

EuroGamer = 10/10

TeamXbox = 10/10

Computer And Video Games = 9.5/10

1up = A+ (or 10/10)

XBox 360 World UK = 98%
That's the highest 360 World UK has ever given.

So far, it's been getting the best reviews of all time. When a 9.5 is your lowest score, that's saying something.

afs
04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
OXM has given at least one 10/10 before, that I know of (Mass Effect). But it's not a "perfect," as OXM has an 11/10 for that, which they claim will never happen (I thought it was stupid, as well).

RTsa
04-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Gametrailers 9.8 (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33326.html)

Indeed, it's getting great reviews. I wonder when it's coming out for the PC.. :D

sidetwo
04-28-2008, 03:53 PM
In about 10 hours I'll have it :D Well hopefully, I didn't preorder it but I'm sure it'll be ok. I'm hoping to get it from the place I have a voucher for so I don't have to pay heh.

I'll go pick it up on the morning before my uni class starts.

RTsa
04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh lucky you!

I don't have a console and I'd *really* like to play it. :/

sidetwo
04-29-2008, 06:18 AM
I'm playing it now ;) It's awesome, just running around the city at the moment.

mm87
04-29-2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=284113&view=findpost&p=1057961558

GTA IV 4 PC (http://www.gta4pc.co.nr/)

Everybody,every true PC gamer come on now! *shouts*
Let's show our disappointment with regards to R*'s evil attitude towards PC gamers.

godot
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
One of the most difficult concepts for some people to grasp is that Rockstar does not make games for the public.
Like nearly every other developer, Rockstar makes games for publishers - in their case, TakeTwo Interactive.

Quiz time...

How many copies of GTA IV is Rockstar likely to sell?
a.) a billion
b.) 5 - 10 million
c.) 1 - 5 million
d.) 2 or 3

If you answered 2 or 3 then you've demonstrated a rare grasp of the difficult concept described above. Rockstar has already sold a PS3 version and an Xbox version to their publisher for a LOT of money. If TakeTwo eventually wants to buy a PC version then that will be the third copy of GTA IV that Rockstar sells.

Bottom line: It is NOT up to Rockstar if/when TakeTwo decides to buy a PC version.

sidetwo
04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Well Rockstar IS Take 2 so of course it's up to them ;)

Also I don't think it's an evil attitude at all, it will most likely eventually come out for PC but it's at first and foremost a console game and that's what R* targeted during development.

For a massive game like that I'm sure they want things on the console front to settle before targeting the PC platform as well.

mm87
04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
It started on PC and until GTA vice city it didn't change,if I'm correct.

And this same manner in which R* has held off the PC versions of GTA in the past is evil IMO.That might be the case this time around or perhaps not;They may even refrain from releasing it for PC altogether.

Look at the games that R* has developed or are still in development .100% of them are console-exclusive.This IS also evil IMO.

R* gets a shitload of cash paid by MS to make some exclusive downloadable content for Xbox.They get pay-off from MS and Sony to delay the PC version for the sake of the consoles market,for cashing in on bucks in the PC gamer's pocket...This IS evil IMO.
To learn more about evilness of R* relative to the PC gaming community, visit the aforementioned link to the GTA forums.

By the way, I really admire Remedy for not being R*-ish with regards to PC gamers.
At the end of the day,Remedy is European and R* is American;there's a difference.

Dark River
04-29-2008, 10:14 PM
GTAIV....simply rules, I'm playing it on PS3 right now and I have to say this is the GTA game you've always wanted to play. Everything about this game is impressive. But I think the storyline grabs you in more than any other GTA game. I'm not a hardcore fan by any means, but this game is seriously worth picking up.

mm87
04-30-2008, 07:55 AM
For the record:

The aforementioned address that we're gonna rank it up is now changed to http://gtaivpc.medianewsonline.com/

And the new keyword is 'GTA IV'.
So we have :GTA IV (http://gtaivpc.medianewsonline.com/)

If you're gonna help us out ,link to that website exactly like that.Thanks.

afs
04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
It started on PC and until GTA vice city it didn't change,if I'm correct.

And this same manner in which R* has held off the PC versions of GTA in the past is evil IMO.That might be the case this time around or perhaps not;They may even refrain from releasing it for PC altogether.

Look at the games that R* has developed or are still in development .100% of them are console-exclusive.This IS also evil IMO.

R* gets a shitload of cash paid by MS to make some exclusive downloadable content for Xbox.They get pay-off from MS and Sony to delay the PC version for the sake of the consoles market,for cashing in on bucks in the PC gamer's pocket...This IS evil IMO.
To learn more about evilness of R* relative to the PC gaming community, visit the aforementioned link to the GTA forums.

By the way, I really admire Remedy for not being R*-ish with regards to PC gamers.
At the end of the day,Remedy is European and R* is American;there's a difference.

Am I the only one who sees this as kind of a sick attitude? Since when is smart business "evil?" God forbid they try to make more money on a product that they certainly put a lot of money into.

How about, "**** you, we won't release the game at all." Would that have been better?

That is very selfish and immature, to compare a video game not coming to PC (yet) to "evil"- you know, the ultimate badness.

The holocaust was evil. Satan was evil. This is a minor inconvenience that won't be remembered in two years. Get over it, people.

We Americans are stereotyped as ignorant. But there does seem to be a whole lot of that goin' 'round.

godot
04-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Well Rockstar IS Take 2 so of course it's up to them ;)
If it were the other way around, if TakeTwo were a subsidiary of Rockstar then it would be up to Rockstar.

GTAIV....simply rules, I'm playing it on PS3 right now and I have to say this is the GTA game you've always wanted to play. Everything about this game is impressive. But I think the storyline grabs you in more than any other GTA game. I'm not a hardcore fan by any means, but this game is seriously worth picking up.
I've just read that Rockstar spent ~$100 million and had over 1000 people working on it. TakeTwo will no doubt recover a lot of their investment from increased PS3 and Xbox sales. Follow up PC sales have become the new bargain bin.

Am I the only one who sees this as kind of a sick attitude?
No.

Since when is smart business "evil?"
Show me someone who describes the delay of a videogame's PC version as evil and I'll show you someone who never reads newspapers.

afs
04-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Or a history book. Or... any book. Like Dune.

I hate how people blow these minor trivialities into problems of world-reachingly epic proportions.

"GTAIV isn't coming to PC yet? RockStar must be too busy slaughtering goats and reading the Necronomicon to port it- which of course is the single greatest travesty ever bestowed upon mankind. May their skin and the skin of their children be striped from their bones for such evil-doing. This will not be taken in a mature or understanding way! We must fight back against such appalling behavior! How dare they do with their intellectual property what they want! Also, in this statement, for some reason, I'm going to gratuitously slam the Americas. LET THE REVOLUTION BEGIN!"

mm87
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Oxford dictionary- definition of the word 'evil':

sense (1)...

Sense (2) :extremely unpleasant

*sigh*

So R*'s attitude towards PC gamers has turned out to be more evil since 2005(when SA released.).

And no it's not smart business; Or if it is then Remedy are stupid I'm afraid to release AW for PC!

afs
04-30-2008, 11:20 PM
And no it's not smart business;

You might be right. Increasing profits is usually considered bad business, isn't it?

Or if it is then Remedy are stupid I'm afraid to release AW for PC!

That... or they know that Alan Wake isn't going to be the consol/comercial draw that GTAIV is. Everybody and thier mothers are going to by GTA... and, with nothing to do with quality, not that many people are going to buy AW. Microsoft knows this. Sony knows this. So, if you have to buy an Xbox 360 or a PS3 to play GTAIV, you might just do that. The chances of that many people buying one to play AW is a little slimmer, seeing as how AW ISN'T one of THE MOST ANTICIPATED GAMES in recent years (don't get me wrong; I can't wait for it myself, but most casual gamers aren't quite as hyped for it as they would be for GTAIV).

How about this: Until we've made millions of dollars releasing and distributing video games, let's leave it to the profesionals, and try not to say too many things that obviously err on logic. Sound good?

godot
05-01-2008, 02:26 AM
Oxford dictionary- definition of the word 'evil':

sense (1)...

Sense (2) :extremely unpleasant

*sigh*

So R*'s attitude towards PC gamers has turned out to be more evil since 2005(when SA released.).

Perhaps we should also consider the part of the definition that you chose to exclude:
evil adj. 1. deeply immoral and malevolent. 2. embodying or associated with the devil. 3. extremely unpleasant: an evil smell.
As long as you're describing a company's attitude rather than its odour I believe you'll find that most people will rightly misunderstand your usage of the word evil. I'm certainly relieved that you do not consider Rockstar's attitude to be deeply immoral and malevolent, but why raise so much stink over something that's merely unpleasant, like a foul odour?

*lol*

Morry
05-01-2008, 05:26 AM
I doubt Rockstar will not port the game to PC. The PC release for San Andreas seemed to go down fairly well and was an improved version of the game with better textures, models, draw distance, sound etc.
I know there are quite a few PC gamers patiently waiting for the slightly improved GTA4 to be released on PC.

sidetwo
05-01-2008, 06:54 AM
They said they wouldn't port it to the PC when asked last week sometime. But so did the guys who made Gears of War and Mass Effect and all that.

Morry
05-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Personally I thought that "interview" looked pretty dodgy, I would be putting it in the "fake" category.

mm87
05-01-2008, 09:39 AM
@afs : yeah I see what you're saying.But still i don't get why releasing GTA IV on PC at the same time as consoles decreases R*'s profit; Unless you mean if R* don't comply with MS and Sony's 'vows' ,they won't get big paid-off and what not by those console manufacturers to hold off the PC version and help boost consoles sales.

And no it's not only because of GTA IV that R* are turning into console whores.All of their games since GTA:SA have been console-exclusive and the upcoming titles are no exception.
So they are effectively upturning console sales figures in general.

I'm pretty sure if Remedy or Eidos were behind the GTA series development,PC gamers wouldn't have to wait like 6-7 freaking months just to see IF the game appears on PC.

Oddly enough, despite R* being the publishers of Max Payne 2, it was due to Remedy that PC gamers got the chance to play the game on their computers; otherwise and if it was up to R*, presumably we couldn't play MP2 on our PCs at present.

I have to bring this fact into your attention that GTA was born and progressed on PC.Until Sony got into the scene it was being co-developed for PC and consoles.But as of GTA VC everything changed suddenly including R*'s strategy to focus on consoles market.
Read that made-up interview i linked to on the last page.

But yeah, I agree that we should leave it to business professionals to take it on theirselves to develop games;Then again, i would rather those developers like Remedy,Eidos or hell even EA take control of things.

Assuming IV won't be released on PC, my feelings towards R* and their game are the same as a PS3 gamer might have relative to Rem... erm logically MS.

@godot: Sorry though for misinterpreting or...whatever.lol

P.S I for one am attached to AW more than IV because 1- I believe it will be an epic PC game and all. 2-GTA IV and GTA series on the whole is getting kind of boring if you know what I mean.
Nonetheless ,I would certainly like to play IV on my PC; but rather when the hype isn't over yet (now).

godot
05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Personally I thought that "interview" looked pretty dodgy, I would be putting it in the "fake" category.
Not only is the interview fake, it's evil - you know - like an evil smell. ;)

"...as money is our main focus, we don't mind stripping vast amounts of content and quality from our games."

That's when I stopped reading.

@godot: Sorry though for misinterpreting or...whatever. lol
No problem, mate. I kind of assumed that English is not your native language. lol

mm87
05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Not only is the interview fake, it's evil - you know - like an evil smell. ;)

"...as money is our main focus, we don't mind stripping vast amounts of content and quality from our games."

That's when I stopped reading.

No problem, mate. I kind of assumed that English is not your native language. lol

You assumed right.:lol:

And that interview is exaggerated on purpose; to show how R* have dropped developing games for PC ,the up-to date platform by which they could create a 'better GTA IV' and other games in general.

afs
05-02-2008, 12:05 AM
What must be remembered, of course, is that the video game industry is just that: an industry. Yes, R* wants to make good games. Yes, R* wants people to enjoy thier games. But given the choice of people simply liking it, and people buying it...? It's not a choice. GTAIV was made with the intention to make as much money as fast as possible for a bunch of people who want to make games. We all give them money, they keep making games, we get to play those games- by giving them more money, which they use to live; thier lives being used to make games... which we can buy.

They make more money by not releasing to the PC right away? OK. Most gamers today probably own a PS3 or 360 anyway. And most casual gamers (which makes up a huge percent of GTAIV's target audience) are probably more likely to buy the game on the PS3 or 360 as apposed to PC. So it's good business. Smart business. Hardly "evil," in either the satanic or stinky way.

But, for those people who only own a PC... yeah, it sucks. Can't please everybody. And I'm sure the attitude from R* is, "**** 'em, they'll get it soon enough." Still not evil. Just business.

And if you honestly think that it's not headed for PC... come on. Take a look at history.

mm87
05-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Fair enough.
It's business; and an industry like that cares merely about money.It doesn't give a damn if consoles are outdated(and keeps developers from moving along with the technology) as long as there are people who pay for them and make the consoles market an interesting target for such companies as R*.

Nonetheless, I like the marketing strategy of Remedy-for instance- better.You know,they won't see it sensible to water down their quality games just to cater to the consoles industry and make arguably more profit.We'll see this assumption comes into effect when AW is released and the PC version is -more or less- bigger than the 360 one.

The history of GTA series,as i said before, is known for screwing PC gamers over as of Vice City or perhaps even of GTA 3, since the PC versions of those games were released with a 6-7 or more period of delays after the initial console version launch.

But this time ,it seems as though that R* are sinking more and more into the consoles moneymaking swamp so to say, with all of their latest releases being console-exclusive.So it's quite possible that R* dismisses a PC version of GTA IV all in all.
But there's a chance as well that PC gamers get GTA IV on their PCs after a pretty long delay ,as was the pace with the previous GTAs.

Thing is,nobody can say for sure that the game would appear on PC or not.

MentalSentinel
05-02-2008, 08:41 PM
I think it's a bit strange that you accuse game developers of being money-grubbers when you're the one who's too much of a cheapskate to just buy a console. ;)

afs
05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Again...

"How dare they try to use thier skills to feed thier families and pay thier bills."

You keep mentioning Remedy and Alan Wake in comparison to Rockstar and GTA. I thought that we had established that Remedy & AW is not the consle/comercial draw that R* and GTA is; therefor, even if they did go "exclusive" on consoles, they wouldn't make the same money- The strategy doesn't hold over.

And since when is the PC version of AW going to be "bigger"? Do you mean "better"? As in, graphics? Asuuming you do: Yeah, if you have a higher end PC, which would cost far more than a 360. If you don't, explain, please.

Dark River
05-03-2008, 01:13 AM
I think developing for at least two different companies consoles is good enough in my books. Remedy are at least developing it for Vista, which is borderline acceptable in my books but I hardly think both of the companies can be considered evil.

mm87
05-03-2008, 07:17 AM
@MentalSentinel : I personally would save my money for upgrading my PC that helps me out in various aspects rather than paying for just a gaming toy!

@afs: I dunno but there are more companies than just Remedy that aren't as console whore as R* is.
If R* thinks that makes more profit by continuing to release console-exclusive games,alright let them do that.But **** that I won't buy their game anymore.I don't feel like waiting for such a long time just to play a game that apparently is not my cup of tea anymore.(by reading GTA IV reviews at the GTA forums...)
There are/will be plenty of alternatives and more mature games on the market.

And yeah I meant AW on PC would look better graphically.
By the way,I recently traded in my old PC case and its essential parts(MB,CPU....) with basically a Athlon X2 5400+, 1 GB of Ram, Gigabyte Radeon 2600 256 MB for a difference of approx 300$.(Bear in mind that Ram is very cheap these days and i can double my PC's Ram with ease.)

Tell me then how it isn't advantageous to shell out for a fairly up-to-date PC instead of a crappy console?

@Dark River: No it is not evil.I used 'evil' in the wrong context, alright then.Drop it already mates!

Maddieman
05-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Arggh, I'm not getting into this debate. :)

I have two simple questions for anyone who has GTAIV:

-Is it really that different from the previous games?
-Is it worth spending over €220/$340 to play it?

sawn_off
05-03-2008, 08:27 AM
That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. It sounds to me like the same kind of hype train from when Vice City came out, and everyone said it was a million times better than GTA3, or it was the best game ever made, or that it was art, but all it had were ridiculous weapons, extremely easy to steal helicopters and a few more cars.

The biggest thing I'm hearing about is detail. Go into the hospital and you'll see a waiting room full of people coughing, attack someone and a good samaritan will fight you, you can get mugged, things like that.

mm87
05-03-2008, 10:52 AM
@Maddieman
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=339018&st=140&#entry1058007178

I'd suggest you read that thread if you want to get a grip of how GTA IV is and whatnot.

Maddieman
05-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Cheers for that.

Interesting to read that they've stripped out a lot of the crazy stuff from the previous games (flying planes, jet packs, body building, being chased by the army, etc). I could be way of the mark (haven't had time to follow it closely), but I get the impression that it's a more mature GTA, if that's even possible.

mm87
05-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Arguably it's a mature GTA yeah.But then Assassin's creed and all those open-world GTA clones-so to say- are there for 'mature' audience,no?

Although I haven't played IV because still no PC version,I can tell for sure that this won't be a 'GTA' for me,judging by the reviews on that thread.

I'm a fun>realism type of guy tbh.Realism kind of implies Hitman,Max Payne etc gameplay ,you know those story-oriented games.Not that I don't like those type of gameplay.In fact I'm fond of Hitman and the like games.But GTA -a game made for fun ,to help people to get away the real life and give them the chance to live in a fantasy world, is now apparently turning into a rather rough and cold type of game with the new installment i.e IV.

I'm no longer interested in this game as much as before.Reading those reviews on GTA forums made me certain that this game won't be my cup of tea.I might just give it a try if/when it comes out for PC,but that's all.

Alan Wake and all of its open spaces FTW!

afs
05-04-2008, 09:37 PM
But **** that I won't buy their game anymore.

I'm sure this will bring tears to thier eyes- good thing they have the millions of dollars it's making on consoles right now to dry thier eyes.

I bought GAIV two days ago. It's a really good game. The shooting has been improved infinitely, but I dont like the driving as much. That seems to be just me, though. It feels like one of these more "realistic" driving sims, and that's just not really my scene. Not a serious problem, I'm still having fun driving around.

Is it worth buying a 360 (or PS3) to play it? Maybe, depends on how much money you've got, and how interested in other exclusives you are. If you're interested in playing Halo3 or are waiting for MGS4, I'd say go ahead and pick it up now. If not... might be worth waiting for the- I'm going to say- "inevitable" PC release.

Either way, great game. Puts Saints Row to shame.

Dark River
05-04-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm the opposite, I loooove the driving simulation. It allows for more chaos. Driving to a missions house I sped round' the corner and handbreaked, but I had so much momentum I went right off the cliff. It was epic.

mm87
05-05-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm sure this will bring tears to thier eyes- good thing they have the millions of dollars it's making on consoles right now to dry thier eyes.

Yeah they don't give a damn if someone downloads their game,neither YOU should do.But what of it anyway? It's not like I'm doing this to make them cry DOH!I just feel freaking better this way.
And no more I give two shits If they don't release it for PC at all Period

might be worth waiting for the- I'm going to say- "inevitable" PC release.

Oh really? Please elaborate on how it is inevitable? I'm curious to know.

Morry
05-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Oh really? Please elaborate on how it is inevitable? I'm curious to know.
1. Every major GTA game has been released on PC
2. The PC has even more processing power to realise the full potential of the game - less loading, higher textures, higher resolutions
3. Rockstar ports all of their "popular" games to PC

mm87
05-05-2008, 08:34 AM
1. Every major GTA game has been released on PC
2. The PC has even more processing power to realise the full potential of the game - less loading, higher textures, higher resolutions
3. Rockstar ports all of their "popular" games to PC

1-True.The last one was SA back in 2005(?).But now,MS is a major part of the business rather than Sony.As afs pointed out,more people seem to be buying it for consoles as a result of R* holding the PC version off ,thus Sony and MS would be more happier with this approach.

2-So true.But It seems as though R* simply don't count on this factor...they didn't improve the PC ports of the previous GTAs as much.They were for the most part buggy to put it mildly.

3-As said earlier, SA was their last PC game;And since then,there has been absolutely no words from R* as for a planned PC game.

At that time,R* was still developing games for PC albeit only one or two titles.One of which was Manhunt and the other GTA:SA i think.
Now,Manhunt 2 is out and it is console-exclusive and all of the R*'s games have been Console-exclusive with no exception since 2005.

Face it,R* are now more into the console gaming market.argh!

I would say though that in case of GTA IV,the odds of a PC version is 40.
60% it won't appear on PC.

Morry
05-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Improvements made to the PC version of San Andreas:

# The visibility (draw) distance will be improved to take advantage of the more competitive hardware.
# The game world will feel more solid with higher quality textures and a higher level of polygons. The game textures were originally compressed for the PS2 version, so with the new versions the game will look as it was meant to look.
# Real-time shadows and reflections will be added to the game.
# An additional radio station will be present in the game, allowing you to import your own MP3 songs for in-game listening. You will even be able to set your songs to be played in a radio-station mode, meaning there will be DJ commentary, San Andreas advertisements and weather bulletins inbetween songs.
# The quality of the in-game sound will be improved, and will support Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.
# A "replay" mode will allow you to relive the past 30 seconds of your gameplay action with cinematic camera effects. You will also be able to save these replay files in a convenient format and watch them later or share them with friends.
# You will once again be able to play GTA in a widescreen mode.
Not to mention the mouse-look for driving, helped a lot. The only bugs I encountered were for sound cutting out during rain, but this was because I did not have the recommended sound card.

I would say that the great popularity of the GTA series provides enough incentive for Rockstar to release it on all major platforms including PC. The ability for multiplayer GTA is also a feature not properly available since the days of GTA2.

mm87
05-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, fair enough.
Yet I find it quite annoying to port a GTA into PC from consoles as if the game wasn't programmed and developed on PC to begin with!
I suppose if they ,instead of porting, had co-produced the PC version of SA at the same time as consoles versions ,the final game would be much more pleasant in terms of graphics and all.

Anyways,we'll see by the end of this month, if they mind to port GTA IV to PC ;cause as far as i know R* did the same with the former GTAs and announced the PC versions of each installment around one month after the initial release.

AlianAnt
05-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I got the game last Tuesday. So far I've put in 33 hours. I can say, without a drop of a doubt, that Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best, if not THE best game I have ever played in my 12 years of gaming.

But, lets start with my first reaction to the game "....I don't like this." Thats exactly the words that went through my mind as I attempted to walk over to a nearby car to drive the first character to where he lived. It felt clunky, unpolished, and complicated. Things only got worse when I stepped into the car and began to, again, attempt to drive to the blip on my radar. The camera didn't swing around fast enough, and again I felt like the controls were unresponsive. I was smashing into street lights and other cars as I tried to grasp the new physics.

If I hadn't been so stupidly hyped for the game, I may have stopped playing right there and sent it back to GameFly to get another game. But, hey, this was GTAIV; my heart had skipped a beat when I saw it in my mailbox minutes before. So I kept playing. Slowly, the game introduced me to new concepts. Slowly it brought in more characters, thought me melee combat, how to switch to and use different weapons, how to take cover, how to do drive-bys, and how to call and hang out with friends.

When I looked up I realized it was dark out, I saw how late it was and had to get to bed because it was a school night. I dreamt of GTAIV. When I woke, in my dazed and confused state I thought about how I was going to get up and drive around Liberty City in my car, getting jobs and hanging out with friends. Finally my alarm went off which snapped me back into reality: I had to go to school and there'd be no GTAIV until I got home seven hours later. All day at school, I thought of GTAIV. Those last 15 minutes of the day were the longest 15 minutes I've ever experienced. I looked up at the clock, kept talking to some friends and jammed on my guitar, I looked back up and I said "THREE ****ING MINUTES?! ITS BEEN THREE MINUTES?!" at which people sitting around me gave me a funny look.

I arrived home and stepped into my room. For three days all I did was come home, play GTAIV, sleep, go to school, repeat. 15 hours into the game, it was still throwing new stuff at me. I've never been sidetracked so much in a game. I'd be heading to do a mission when a friend will call and ask me to go bowling. I'd comply, and then I'd go on some sort of freakish hanging out binge with everyone I could on my contact list on the phone until I realized that it'd been two real life hours, and I'd yet to do that mission. Driving past an internet cafe in the game automatically makes me stop whatever it is that I'm doing to check my email.

Everything in this game has rewards for the player. For instance: the hanging out with friends thing I've been mentioning. As you progress through the game, your in-game cell phone will begin filling up with all sorts of contacts. Business, friends, and even girlfriends. Calling a friend will give you a list of things to do from playing darts, to bowling, to boating, to taking helicopter tours. If you hang out with friends enough, you'll get their 'special ability' which can be anything from free taxi rides, to arms dealing at discounted prices.

Speaking of arms dealing: theres no more Amunation. Shame, I know, I loved it. But with IV, theres been a shift to a more realistic representation of a modern day life of crime. Now to get guns, you must either get one of the friend's special arms dealing ability (which is stupidly more convenient and cheap; he will drive to a location near you and sell you stuff at a lower price, as I've mentioned, but he doesn't have all the super high end stuff like the combat pistol or rocket launchers), or you must drive to a black market dealer. Usually, these are located in alleyways, and you enter into the back where some biker lookin' guy has an array of weapons.

Once you buy the weapons, you can, of course, shoot people. Combat has been almost entirely redesigned from SA. It, along with everything else, takes some getting used to. I played it on 360, so the controls are for that. Left trigger aims, pressing the trigger half way gives you free-aim, while pulling it all the way locks onto targets. When free aiming, you use the right stick to aim. When locked on, using the right stick will slightly adjust your aim, allowing you to get headshots, or to pop guys in the kneecaps and watch them stumble around. Right trigger shoots. B reloads. Left and right on the d-pad switches weapons. Most importantly, though, is the right bumper which allows you to take cover. Once you've got all that down pat, you'll find combat much more satisfying than in the previous games.

But the real star of this game isn't the awesome new Euphoria physics, the driving, the combat, the voice acting, or even the insane amount of fun things to do. No, the real star is Liberty City herself. Liberty is easily the most detailed city in any game, ever. Each area feels distinct. The Brooklyn-esque area had graffiti all over every wall, empty boxes line the streets, and at night prostitutes can be seen on almost every street corner.

On the other side of the city, though, are the suburbs of Liberty. Fancy houses with luxury cars and green lawns are what you will find, and instead of hoes, finely dressed police officers are ready and waiting for you to jack a car.

All of this wouldn't be possible without the fantastic graphics that are showcased throughout the experience. Slick lighting, awesome explosions, and a cleverly hidden LOD system using depth of field is used so that you can see clear across to the other end of the city. All of this is exemplified at night when all the lights come on, and you can see car lights darting about on all the roads. Flying a helicopter at night is truly a sight to behold.

So, whats this all mean for Grand Theft Auto? San Andreas was definitely a fantastic game. But it always lacked that little bit here, and that little bit there. GTAIV makes up for that in spades. Every little detail has been improved upon, and things that weren't so great (like the combat) has seen some heavy redesign.

And after 33+ hours, I'm still not done with the main story line. If you can stick with it for just a few hours and get used to all the new stuff, you will find a true masterpiece. One that will make you look at every other game in existence and ask "Why didn't they have that?" Combat is better than a shooter, the driving is better than in a racing game, theres more story and more side quests than in an RPG, the social aspect is more fleshed out than in a Sim's game.

Grand Theft Auto IV is more than I could have ever hoped for. If there will never be a perfect game, then Grand Theft Auto IV is as close as any game will ever get. And I haven't even scratched multiplayer.

Arggh, I'm not getting into this debate.

I have two simple questions for anyone who has GTAIV:

-Is it really that different from the previous games?
-Is it worth spending over €220/$340 to play it?

Is not that different, but its a lot more believable.
It's worth selling your first born child to play.

afs
05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
mm87, you seem discouraged, not to mention petty. You raise an argument, someone debates it, you say "Fair enough, but I still don't like it for this other list of reasons..." Don't get me wrong, if you don't want to play it, don't. If you don't want to like R* for "going for the gold" (more literal), don't. But the only constant argument you seem to have is that the game, and other games, weren't out for PC on thier release. I'll grant that PC games have a potential to be much better, in terms of graphics, size, and the whatnot, but the fact of the matter is Rockstar will make more money holding off on the PC release, and they will make even more WHEN they do release it on PC. They are not doing this to spite you or any other PC gamer, and I doubt any amount of bitching will change a thing (unless you could get the millions of casual gamers now purchasing the game to stop, but me thinks that would be quite the challenge).

I didn't like those first few minute either. Kind of scared me. Most people seem to enjoy the driving more than in the previous games. I'm a lone figure in that, I guess. Even so, I'm not going to bitch about it, because I don't think it drags the game down. Still great. Thumbs up.

afs
05-05-2008, 11:15 PM
And no more I give two shits If they don't release it for PC at all Period

Sorry to double post, but this is what I meant by "petty." Just, I'm sure it was going to come up, thought I'd answer now. Sorry again. Forgive me, oh great forum Gods.

Morry
05-06-2008, 01:07 AM
From what I recall, each PC version has been released around October following a March release of the console versions, so that gives plenty of time for people to explore the game, find interesting things, faqs and guides before a PC version is released.
In San Andreas specifically, I remember the developers saying that the PS2 version started off with the higher resolution textures used in the PC version, but were compressed down for PS2 hardware. I don't think it will be the same situation this time around, but I do believe that PC users will be able to push the game even further with higher draw distances, resolutions and best of all - modding.

-JLN-
05-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Went and got it at midnight release. The geek in me had booked off the entire week for GTA. I ended up playing it until around 6am every night that week, finished it on Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon I think.

I think if any game was going to knock Ocarina of Time from its well deserved no.1 spot on gamerankings, I'm glad it's this one.

godot
05-08-2008, 02:38 AM
I didn't like those first few minute either. Kind of scared me. Most people seem to enjoy the driving more than in the previous games. I'm a lone figure in that, I guess.
Doesn't the player character's driving skill begin at low level as it did in San Andreas?

Kahr
05-08-2008, 04:34 AM
I've been playing this game on my friend's XBox 360. He left it here earlier in the week when he came to town to visit, and he isn't got time to use it for another week or so... So what do you know? I'm stuck with GTAIV. And I'm SOOOOO not complaining! Gooddamn what an awesome game!

sidetwo
05-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Doesn't the player character's driving skill begin at low level as it did in San Andreas?
There's no skill system or anything like SA. That's all been stripped.

I'm 30% through the game now and I've only been doing main missions.. supposedly 60% of the game is main missions so half way through.

Dark River
05-08-2008, 08:19 AM
The mini games are also better this time round. Bowling and playing pool is actually fun and the comedy shows are actually funny!

Best things about GTA4

-The plot/characters
-Gun system/Cover system
-Driving Realism/Car Crashes
-Mini games
-City actually feels alive.
-Taxis!
-Radio Stations, Nitzer Ebb/Sister's of Mercy so good
-Extras Internet, Comedy/Cabaret Club,

Negatives

-Game missions remain similar to previous installments, however, quite varied and enjoyable to play through.

afs
05-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Taxis are ****ing great, aren't they?

The phisics in general are breathtaking. I jumped this fence and fell 20- or so feet, and just the way Nicco hit the curb (still on his feet) and fell back on his ass... I would have believed that it was pre-scripted. It can't be called "rag-doll," because it isn't. The avatar still looks to have control. Honestly, you'd have to see it to believe it. I've had hours of fun just crashing motercycles and flying through the air. Or when you can eject Nick through the windshield of a car out into the bay- or better yet, oncoming traffic. It's great. Jumping in front of moving cars is good, too. Or jumping off of rooftops and just watching the way he bounces off the pavement.

And no one here has mentioned death yet. When the screen goes black and white, and backs out, and you can do those super-zooms to see who killed you. Brilliant.

Watching TV's cool, too. I haven't been able to go to the comedy clubs yet- is it just the two acts you can see on the tube?

"[Stephen Hawking's] not a genious. He's pretentious. Born in England, speaks with an American accent."

AlianAnt
05-08-2008, 08:11 PM
So far I've gone to the comedy club five times, each with a different act. But I think the black guy (Kat Williams?) is a whole shitload more funny than the British guy, whom I don't find funny in the slightest.

Dark River
05-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Ricky Gervais has a unusual sense of humor, if your not into the British version of The Office you probably won't get into him.

Katt Williams - "I didn't used to be this tall you know!?"
:D

I believe that each comedian has a few different acts, like maybe two or three.

Maddieman
05-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Ricky Gervais is in GTAIV?

sidetwo
05-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Ricky Gervais is in GTAIV?
Yeah he performs "live" in the comedy club there.

afs
05-09-2008, 07:17 PM
I found Ricky Gervais' stuff to be funny as hell- just the bit on TV, about war- haven't seen the rest. And I'm not into the "British version of The Office." I do like British humo(u)r, though. Red Dwarf, man. 'S'all you gots ta say.

Maddieman
05-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I just saw a clip of his act in gta4 -- pretty cool, it looks just like him.

EnixLHQ
05-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Confirmed: Grand Theft Auto IV Breaks Guinness World RecordsTM With Biggest Entertainment Release Of All-Time (http://news.curse.com/details/9720/)

-JLN-
05-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Holy shizzle, regardless of what anyone thinks of the game that's a pretty amazing achievement.

You had the urge to go out and buy it yet btw Maddie? :D

Maddieman
05-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Really tempted, but it's going to have to wait till I get a job.

(Unless I start a life crime to pay my way -- now that would be ironic: "Gamer turns to a life of crime, drugs, and violence after not playing GTA" ;))

afs
05-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I'll tell Jack Thompson to warm up his Pointing Finger. Who's he going to blame this time? Your guess is as good as his.

Dark River
05-15-2008, 08:04 AM
I'll bet Jack Thompson would enjoy video games if he actually tried them. My dad used to like flying planes in San Andreas, but he didn't know anything else about the game(He's Christian and I feared to tell him). Just goes to show that the only critics of these games are from people who haven't played them yet.

afs
05-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, finding all the Unique Stunt Jumps in GTAIV seems right up Jack's alley.

I always thought he might enjoy Call of Juarez. You know, 'cause you get to preach while you kill. Nothing conservative Americans like more than spouting scripture while laying waste to enemies. Whoever those enemies may be.

remade
05-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm not getting interested in any of the new video games lately.I'm just still waiting for Alan Wake...
But,after i saw to gamespot video review of Gta IV...it's just awesome.
I started to want it so much! :hyper: :hyper:
I'm becoming a child again,you see!:hyper:
This new RAGE engine with the Euphoria animation physic look so great!

I definitely gonna get this, although i don't still know,should i spending my money for Xbox 360 or new PC? :(
Gta IV coming to also PC someday,right?

afs
05-27-2008, 01:20 AM
That's the question.

My answer is eventually, but what the hell do I know.

If you just want GTAIV- and you want it now, instead of later- you got to go with a 360.

On another note, I was rethinking the GTAIV story today. I think maybe it kind of sucked. Most of the characters just dropped out of sight after ten or so missions with them. The main antagonist doesn't show up at all in the whole second act and most of the third act, save for a few phone calls (and the same can be said for Roman).

Yeah, it might just be me, but I liked SA's story more, with the gangs and the building of a criminal empire. Most of the GTA games are about building a syndicate, or working your way up one. This game doesn't really feel like there's an ultimate goal (except for finding the American dream (big titties)).

What do you all think?

AlianAnt
05-27-2008, 02:51 AM
I think the story isn't done yet. It seems like theres a lot more to tell about Niko, which will probably be this Episodic Content stuff. I think we're done with Part 1 just now.

godot
07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I just ran into this (http://kotaku.com/5026952/rumor-prank-results-in-half+assed-confirmation-of-gta-iv-for-pc) from a few days back. As a prank, some guys pestered TakeTwo's tech support about GTA4 for PC supposedly made available online until tech support finally responded with:

"The PC version of GTA IV has not even been announced for release and is still in development so is not about to be released on a website."

Good for a laugh, but far from confirmation and no great surprise if true.