Danzaiver
01-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I downloaded the Windows 7 Beta (32 bits version) Its really great actually
But no Aero this time :eek:

I have an old PC

Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
512 MB RAM
128 MB Nvidia Graphics

Windows 7 seems more fast than Vista, more stable. Maybe this is going to be the next XP :)

Try it and tell me what you think.

Exoskeletor
01-31-2009, 06:54 PM
windows 7 has aero. download graphic drivers and run the windows experience index score again. then aero should appear

I downloaded the Windows 7 Beta (32 bits version) Its really great actually
But no Aero this time :eek:

I have an old PC

Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
512 MB RAM
128 MB Nvidia Graphics

Windows 7 seems more fast than Vista, more stable. Maybe this is going to be the next XP :)

Try it and tell me what you think.

Onjoo
04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
MS finally released the official date for Windows7 RC !

The Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) will be made available to MSDN and Technet subscribers on April 30, 2009.

The public release of the Windows 7 RC will begin May 5.
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/04/24/windows-7-release-candidate-update.aspx

DarkSynopsis
04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Sweet :)

Looks like Windows 7 is turning out to be what Vista should have been! I'm still not moving from XP till like SP1 hits on Windows 7 though.

EnixLHQ
04-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Faster than Vista at beta? Faster than Vista at fresh install? Or faster than Vista after all your apps are installed?

Keep in mind that Vista was much faster than XP at beta. You're not really comparing real-world stats just yet.

However, W7 is taking a page from Apple's book that those with upgrade issues should like: Windows 7 to have XP built in. (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/04/windows-7-will-feature-xp-mode.ars)

RTsa
05-03-2009, 10:44 AM
TheINQ says it's a scam of sorts. I was pretty hyped and I still hope it's what they say it is, but I have my doubts.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/975/1051975/xp-mode-windows-scam

Darkness62
05-03-2009, 11:19 AM
XPM Is virtual XP like running in a VM it's for legacy software used for business. I hope you didn't think you would be running games in it? lol Guess we will find out for sure Tuesday, May 5th if XP is included. I won't be installing it as it's a waste of space and I don't need it, but I will check if the option is there. Well provided the public release is Business level or above. I hope it is Ultimate again. XD

Just dual booted Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Beta on my laptop the other day (So much easier now that XP is gone, no more dancing around it's inability to see other OS's installed or losing itself once another is installed). Love Windows 7 even more outside of a VM. Playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky and Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason Demo on it. Here's some pics: :love:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z245/The_Darkness62/Windows%207%20Beta/Windows7_A.jpghttp://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z245/The_Darkness62/Windows%207%20Beta/Windows7_B.jpghttp://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z245/The_Darkness62/Windows%207%20Beta/Windows7_C.jpghttp://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z245/The_Darkness62/Windows%207%20Beta/Windows7_E.jpg

Talryyn
05-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Well for me Win7 is booting and shutting down loads faster than before with Vista. This is on an x64 and x86 machines.

Loving the new Media Center, but the wife is not liking it yet. I can finally use my laptop as an extender which is really nice.

As far as faster with programs, about the same. I know it feels faster, but they are fooling us a bit there. But same programs running in both, Windows 7 hands down will boot up quicker. Well it is actually booting faster vs the other Win7 beta I am dual booting with.

Stable yes, on the Media machine just like Vista you can leave it running for months without worrying. Loved Vista for that, it just ran and ran.

Darkness why is your build 7000, you did grab 7100 right?

Exoskeletor
06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
A review by me http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=25284

Zhinarkos
09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I have watched some preview videos from Microsofts own site and it seems that windows 7 really has some handy tools. The ability to search anything through the taskbar is really intriguing

Ruuttu
09-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I switched from Windows XP to Windows 7 and have been very positive about it...

...until I found out Windows 7 doesn't support hardware accelerated sound (as directX 11 doesn't have DirectSound3D or something). This means that FL Studio, Crysis, anything more sound-intensive than Windows Media Player lags and stutters as shit. This is a serious issue and it seems that there won't be a fix for it - ever. I've been thinking about bying a soundcard (I'm on onboard now) but it seems like even that wouldn't help - the soundcard would be hanging there doing nothing for the most of the time. Brilliant.

MarkusRMD
09-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Ruuttu, neither did Vista. Crysis was made for Vista, so I'm not convinced the OS is your reason for stuttering.

Ruuttu
09-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Ruuttu, neither did Vista. Crysis was made for Vista, so I'm not convinced the OS is your reason for stuttering.

Well, all the sound problems started after I switched to Windows 7 and I have all the latest drivers from Realtek installed. Games that use OpenAL and not DirectSound 3D sound great, Mirror's Edge for example. No audio sturrering of any kind (which is pretty well for 1,8 Ghz processor and an onboard soundchip).

All I know is this totally sucks. I'm buying a new motherboard and a CPU pretty soon-ish and I really don't like the idea that those gigz I've payed a high price for are being "wasted" on messing around with soundwaves... Grr...

Hamish
09-19-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm running Crysis on Windows 7.
No problems and I actually get better performance. Onboard sound too.

Ruuttu
09-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm running Crysis on Windows 7.
No problems and I actually get better performance. Onboard sound too.

That's funny. Maybe my processor just isn't enough. I mean, of course it isn't, but on XP I could at least hear the music, no matter how un-enjoyable the rest of the experience was. Don't know. I should probably download the drivers directly from Acer's website but unfortunately they don't have drivers for Windows 7 yet so I have to use the Realtek reference drivers. Maybe if I'd just download the vista drivers from acer, then...

EDIT: Installed the Acer drivers which means that it should now have the exact drivers for the exact same soundchip I have in my motherboard. After the installation I restarted the computer and Windows 7 started to automatically install drivers for my soundchip. Apparently the Vista drivers didn't get recognized or didn't work. Brilliant.

Zhinarkos
09-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Well that is good news. I was a bit scared there for awhile, because I have soundblaster X-Fi gamer version, or something like that. A gamer sound card anyways, so it would have been a bit disappointing to have a lousy sound quality..

Ruuttu
09-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Well that is good news. I was a bit scared there for awhile, because I have soundblaster X-Fi gamer version, or something like that. A gamer sound card anyways, so it would have been a bit disappointing to have a lousy sound quality..

Hmm, so neither the official Realtek drivers or the Acer's own drivers don't work, and that's good news? Maybe I didn't make myself clear... again... :lol:

Anyways, yeah, You should have no problems; even if DirectSound3D games wouldn't work Creative has a software to convert the DirectSound3D API calls to OpenAL ones or something of that kind. So that everything works even if the game uses a sound engine that doesn't support hardware acceleration.

Talryyn
09-29-2009, 03:55 PM
The only issues I have hit so far with Win7 are that my M-Audio sound card will quit randomly. Pressing mute a few hundred times seems to clear it up oddly.. And I had some issues with the new Wacom Bamboo Touch, but customer service cleared that up rather quickly.

Other than that I am really happy with it, but what scares me now, is sadly I started to use Win7 early on, so now it is my main OS. I need to check but I think upgrading is going to be a pain, as far as I have heard it will not be like the current beta installs that just updated everything. Has anyone heard different?

joukoRMD
09-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Other than that I am really happy with it, but what scares me now, is sadly I started to use Win7 early on, so now it is my main OS. I need to check but I think upgrading is going to be a pain, as far as I have heard it will not be like the current beta installs that just updated everything. Has anyone heard different?

Don't know what version you're upgrading from, but there are some gotchas:
- You (officially) cannot upgrade from RC/beta to RTM version of Windows 7. The only supported path is to do a clean reinstall. The installer refuses to upgrade, but that can be circumvented with proper googling and registry tweaking. Anyhow, that's not recommended (by MS nor me).
- AFAIK Vista can be upgraded, but the upgrade consists practically of packing old settings, user profiles, files and application installations using File and Settings Transfer Wizard, doing a clean install and restoring the settings & stuff. The installer does this pretty much automagix.
- XP cannot be upgraded directly, but you can do the abovementioned migration process by hand.

Standard dislaimers apply, I have never upgraded Win7 myself, but I've seen people struggling with odd problems after hacking the RC->RTM upgrade.

- J

Talryyn
09-30-2009, 06:33 PM
I am still on 7100, but I am thinking now that I am going to install the OS to an SSD, and then just reinstall all the other programs to the next fastest drive.

I have a drive that has Windows ME, wonder what the upgrade path for that is.... ;)

yogibbear
10-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I have watched some preview videos from Microsofts own site and it seems that windows 7 really has some handy tools. The ability to search anything through the taskbar is really intriguing

??? i might be misinterpretting you, but this feature was added in vista...

petergomes
11-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Windows 7 is best.Because it has better features then the other.And Windows 7 is a vast improvement from Vista as it takes up much less ram and has other optimizations such as fast booting times. I recommend Windows 7, and if you really don't want vista and don't want to wait for the final version of Windows 7, you can download a copy of the Release Candidate from the Microsoft website for free and use it up till June of 2010. I am working with the Release Candidate right now and so far I have absolutely no complaints, considering Im a heavy computer use with advanced software.

Hamish
11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Windows 7 is best.Because it has better features then the other.And Windows 7 is a vast improvement from Vista as it takes up much less ram and has other optimizations such as fast booting times. I recommend Windows 7, and if you really don't want vista and don't want to wait for the final version of Windows 7, you can download a copy of the Release Candidate from the Microsoft website for free and use it up till June of 2010. I am working with the Release Candidate right now and so far I have absolutely no complaints, considering Im a heavy computer use with advanced software.

Are you some kind of Microsoft public relations guy?

I tried the Windows 7 beta. I uninstalled it after a couple of days because I realised that it was exactly the same as Vista.

RAM usage with an operating system is practically insignificant. The argument that Vista uses all of your RAM is moot, because that's just caching the stuff that you use a lot and will be freed when you need it.

yogibbear
11-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Are you some kind of Microsoft public relations guy?

I tried the Windows 7 beta. I uninstalled it after a couple of days because I realised that it was exactly the same as Vista.

RAM usage with an operating system is practically insignificant. The argument that Vista uses all of your RAM is moot, because that's just caching the stuff that you use a lot and will be freed when you need it.

Considering he's had 3 posts and just joined the other day... yes he is. :sherlock:

/end conspiracy theory...

Other posts seem pretty normal so i'd say just an overly eager Windows 7 lover. Consumerism and all it's baggage is hilarious.