PDA

View Full Version : Please Read Remedy Developers! :/

DarkShadowZ
05-29-2010, 05:42 AM
My name is Nathan Beard and I finished Alan Wake. I would like to share something with you from an avid gamer's prospective. Before I tell you what I'm upset about first let me thank you guys for all the hard long long long work you guys put into this game. It had amazing gameplay, tons of suspense, sick graphics, great storyline, and it is one of my favorite games I have ever played. With this said.... I was sooooo upset with the ending! I played through hours and hours of darkness, attempting to rescue my wife, killing crazy people, getting scared out of my mind, and all I wanted was to hold my wife in the end, and being able to relax in the light (with my wife). Instead I'm trapped underwater or in a (underworld) still typing and my wife comes out of the water being alone with no sight of ALAN. :cry: So can you please tell me anything that I might not be seeing? or please tell me you are making an alternate ending!? I just want closure and comfort in the end of a very awesome but dark game. if that is not to much to ask for.

Thanks SO much for the game!

-Nathan Beard aka Dark ShadowZ

djshauny1
05-29-2010, 05:44 AM
I doubt you will get the answer you are looking for dude

Nightingale
05-29-2010, 05:52 AM
You can't always get what you want.
I thought it ended just the right way myself.

WakeLestat360
05-29-2010, 06:05 AM
Hey man...

There are some people that haven't played the game... and well, i'm one. My LCE is right close to me, but my X360 has died (not 3 red lights)...

So please, you can use SPOILER TAG? Or maybe, you can post this on "Gameplay Discussion"...

For my good mentality sake, i haven't read what you wrote. I stop when you say "ending"... so, thank god i haven't read.

But, here, how to use spoiler tags :

[ spoiler ] write what you want know [ / spoiler ]

But, without any space between characters "[ spoiler ]"

MikkiRMD
05-29-2010, 08:16 AM
If it helps any, perhaps you could look at it like this: clearly, Wake makes a great sacrifice at the end to free Alice. Her survival and life are more important to him than his own well-being. Isn't that a fairly pure expression of love, all things considered?

DarkShadowZ
05-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Ok he free's her, but he could have easily writen himself and her into the ending, but im confused with her being alone and him having darkness all around him at the end when he destroyed the darkness with the clicker.

nmgamer
05-29-2010, 08:55 AM
I felt ripped off at the end of the game, felt like it was just a setup for Alan Wake 2, which I know I won't be buying. I had highhopes and with an ending like that, I was really mad! It felt unfinished, like it was just left off for a sequel. But have to say..Alan Wake was cool looking..great cowboy boots.

MikkiRMD
05-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Ok he free's her, but he could have easily writen himself and her into the ending, but im confused with her being alone and him having darkness all around him at the end when he destroyed the darkness with the clicker.

Well, Wake can't just write anything that pops into his head. It doesn't work like that. It's a difficult process -- he can't just type "Wake turns into Superman and beats up the bad things!" It needs to be consistent and it needs to follow certain rules, and he can't leave in unintended loopholes or imply things he doesn't mean to imply. Like acts of creation in general, it's a ritual of sorts, really, and if he does it wrong, it doesn't work, or worse, it comes out wrong. We touch on this topic several times during the game.

Also: I think you're confusing the dark place with the dark presence. Not the same thing. =)

hb02
05-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh i see how it is, Mikki! ;) Shed him some light but leave me in the dark :lol:

DarkShadowZ: I personally view AW as just a part of the whole story. AW showed you why Alan Wake is writing, and the obvious story plot is getting his wife back. But there are still many many things that need to be explained, which i'm going to assume is coming with the DLC and Alan Wake 2 (fingers crossed). So the plot of AW, was resolved, it was a mission to save his wife and we did that. But underneath that we have the running story of the dark presence, and all those questions of what, why, how, where. I hope this helped, cause i have no problem with the story or the way it ended. I think its great.

Its not a traditional story, Alice's role was just the Dark Presences way to get Alan to start writing. Alan Wake's whole story doesn't revolve around Alice, that was just the catalyst for him to get thrown into this whole mess.

This is how i view it at least. Everyone has different ideas, have fun trying to figure them out :) Who knows, this whole thing could be just about Alice. :eek2:

Killie Lad
05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
"I felt ripped off at the end of the game, felt like it was just a setup for Alan Wake 2"

its your loss if you decide not to buy it but thats like complaining that you wont watch LOST because it ends on a cliffhanger making you wonder wtf is going on... the ending was a much better ending than alan and alice lived happily ever after, the end IMO. And remedy have to set themselves up for a sequel. If there isnt an alan wake 2 then i will be pretty pissed at the ending because there is waaaay too much to come to your own conclusions but considering there probably will be AW2, great ending :D

Danzaiver
05-29-2010, 04:06 PM
The Darkness is too powerful, it won't let the writer free form it's power that easy.

Not even Zane who has a lot of light powers couldn't free from it's power.

Like Mikki said Alan can't just write "And Alice and I got free from the darkness and live happy for ever after" because the darkness won't accept that kind of writting.

It's weird but hey I preffer more Alan Wake than just one game :)

CherokeeInferno
05-30-2010, 04:10 AM
To understand the story better I think that it would help to have sequences in AW2 where the player plays as Zane in the 70's.

Iosonos
05-30-2010, 09:27 PM
I look at Alan Wake similar to the way the Matrix's storyline was played out. If you watched only the first movie, you have a complete story. If you watch the trilogy, you have an understanding of the entire arc, but if you want to see every aspect of the story, you needed to watch the three movies, Animatrix, and play the games. AW is playing out somewhat similarly, but in a less linear (storywise) fashion.

If you watch the prequel, Bright Falls, you will know that there are possibly two Wakes. Going by the ending, Zane does introduce you to a second you, which he calls Mr. Scratch, saying that your friends will meet him when you're gone. His reference to "You must fill its heart with light" could be a inferred to mean that this second Wake may not necessarily be evil. Going back to Bright Falls, Episode 5, Wake goes back to the Shrink's house, and during the conversation he is burned when the doc aims the flashlight in his eyes. Also at the end of Epi 6 he just vanishes from the car. These could be lead-ins that will tie together the "backstory" of Mr. Scratch with the rest of the upcoming story.

This is pretty much an example of how the story will tie in with the upcoming (hopefully) sequels as well as the DLCs. Each of the Bright Falls episodes are also given an episodic number, eg: BF episode 1 is called Vol 1, Ep. 18, and BF5 is Ep 27 which I think are references to where they will eventually fit in the full storyline. At this point, AW's story is still only starting to unfold. Like others mentioned this game is meant to be a complete play experience with no background knowledge required, and because of this, there is only so much that can be answered.

Will Wake find his way out of the darkness? Will he still exist in the world? Tune in next time to find out, same Wake time, same Wake channel.

MikkiRMD
05-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Episode 5, Wake goes back to the Shrink's house, and during the conversation he is burned when the doc aims the flashlight in his eyes. Also at the end of Epi 6 he just vanishes from the car. These could be lead-ins that will tie together the "backstory" of Mr. Scratch with the rest of the upcoming story.

...you do realize that Jake Fischer and Alan Wake are not the same character, right? =)

Iosonos
05-30-2010, 09:47 PM
The Darkness is too powerful, it won't let the writer free form it's power that easy.

Not even Zane who has a lot of light powers couldn't free from it's power.

It's not so much that the Darkness won't let him free-form the story, but due to the fact that the Darkness will take advantage of any plot-holes or openings in the story to try and get free.

Quote from the Manuscript, Episode 5 MS 5 ...Again and again the story let (the darkness) get frustratingly close to the writer without letting it capture him. It was bound by the events depicted in the manuscript. But it could pursue the writer indirectly, put others on the task, and stop those who would help him.

The Darkness will use whatever is not directly set out in the story as an advantage to be used against Alan Wake. Alan also needed to create a story where the Darkness has the ability to get free, in order to give him the opportunity to free himself and his wife. At the end Wake mentions that the story must always have a balance. Zane tried to only create, when he brought his wife back to life. This was balanced by the Darkness, who used her body as a vessel. When Alice was brought back, Alan knew that the story needed to have a balance. By giving up his opportunity to escape and create the happy ending, he assured her escape and forced the Darkness to stay imprisoned.

Remember that the story can not end, the Darkness will be set free when it does. Maybe the Darkness can be dissolved, but for now it still remains, if only without its "heart."

Iosonos
05-30-2010, 09:59 PM
...you do realize that Jake Fischer and Alan Wake are not the same character, right? =)

You're right. I'm bad with names, I was under the impression that they were the same person. Oh well, I already have another theory about that :P

Delta OUT
06-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I refuse to read this and discover the end without play...

DimsumX
06-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Well, Wake can't just write anything that pops into his head. It doesn't work like that. It's a difficult process -- he can't just type "Wake turns into Superman and beats up the bad things!" It needs to be consistent and it needs to follow certain rules, and he can't leave in unintended loopholes or imply things he doesn't mean to imply. Like acts of creation in general, it's a ritual of sorts, really, and if he does it wrong, it doesn't work, or worse, it comes out wrong. We touch on this topic several times during the game.

Wow, when you wrote that out it just hit me that there's just a hint of Myst and the writing art that the D'Ni had in there. Was there any influence from that game there?

MikkiRMD
06-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Wow, when you wrote that out it just hit me that there's just a hint of Myst and the writing art that the D'Ni had in there. Was there any influence from that game there?

Not directly, but I hasten to add that I have a lot of affection for Myst. The concept of artists and creators shaping reality has been explored quite a bit in various works; it's not a new concept as such.

In general, I think ideas and concepts are very rarely new and unique. Ideas are cheap and easy to come by, really. The challenge always lies in the execution.

Pauloselhombre
06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Not directly, but I hasten to add that I have a lot of affection for Myst. The concept of artists and creators shaping reality has been explored quite a bit in various works; it's not a new concept as such.

In general, I think ideas and concepts are very rarely new and unique. Ideas are cheap and easy to come by, really. The challenge always lies in the execution.

True that :) If that weren't true Avatar would have flopped massively :D Some of the best stories are based on archetypes. I have yet to find a hero's quest storyline that I haven't enjoyed.

Hmm, hold on a gosh darned...

Right, I'm off to dig out my copy of Joseph Campbell's 'The Hero With a Thousand Faces' in order to analyse Alan Wake through that particular 'literary lens' :) I may be a while :D

Injured
06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
If it helps any, perhaps you could look at it like this: clearly, Wake makes a great sacrifice at the end to free Alice. Her survival and life are more important to him than his own well-being. Isn't that a fairly pure expression of love, all things considered?

Alan Wake Files says Alice is still missing.

Dun dun duuun....

MikkiRMD
06-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Alan Wake Files says Alice is still missing.

Dun dun duuun....

I don't think it does, actually. =)

Cecilia Wake
06-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I if anyone remembers correctly Alan is introduced to Mr.Scratch by Zane....I have a feeling he will have a big oart in the second game because Zane says "don't worry about him your friends will meet him while your gone" which I think Alan will be able to write and finish the story from inside the cabin and Mr.Scratch aka Fake Alan will be controlled by what Alan writes. Anyone agree? Thoughts?

Brinkman
06-04-2010, 11:37 PM
*Ahem* Actually, Zane says, "When you're gone," implying that alan might not come back.

kozsg
06-09-2010, 12:09 PM
The voice of Zane and Max Payne are from the same actor.

Morry
06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
The voice of Zane and Max Payne are from the same actor.
Zane and Alex Casey you mean...;)

Hukka55
06-10-2010, 01:11 PM

It is, it is. But I reckon you have grown soft over age, like myself, and Alan and Alice will be returned together when the time (in-game) is right. :)

Pauloselhombre
06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
It is, it is. But I reckon you have grown soft over age, like myself, and Alan and Alice will be returned together when the time (in-game) is right. :)

Amen brother (or sister) :) That said, if the story goes a bit more lovecraftian in later seasons then a happy ending really has no place. Otherwise, bring it on, I'm a sucker for a happy ending. That said, the ending of In The Mouth of Madness was freaking awesome :)

MikkiRMD
06-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Possibly, but that doesn't really make it any less of a sacrifice -- unless Wake knew in advance how it would all turn out, of course.

Do you think he did? =)

Hukka55
06-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Possibly, but that doesn't really make it any less of a sacrifice -- unless Wake knew in advance how it would all turn out, of course.

Do you think he did? =)

Oh, of course it does not, the sacrifice is still very love-filled, I felt the pang of it when Alice surfaced and Alan was not there. Thats when I realized the scales-analogy. Damn-near had tears.

But about Alan knowing.. I don't know. He is a very smart man, much like myself ( :lol: ). So yeah, he might have had an idea, an ace up his sleeve.
Could be wrong, stories are much like the ocean, one might think he sees all the waves and then - out of nowhere comes a big one.
But if indeed he had an ace up his sleeve, he is out of his own playground partially. He would realize that his plan might not work, that he'd be prisoner forever. But freeing Alice is worth the risk. So either way, his sacrifice is huge. :)

*Good lord I've become soft*

MikkiRMD
06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
*Good lord I've become soft*

Pfft. That's not being soft, that's just having an emotional response. Not the same thing. =)

Hukka55
06-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Pfft. That's not being soft, that's just having an emotional response. Not the same thing. =)

Yeah, I guess so. Although I used to be able to accept a story without a happy ending without pretty much even blinking.
Here it would be almost unbearably sad. More sad than the end of the Pirates of the Caribbean-trilogy.

But here I have a strange foresight that Alan will be ok and re-united with Alice. It has something to do with either my mental acuity or these three letters = DLC. :lol: