PDA

View Full Version : So has anybody.....

PotentialTERROR
08-08-2010, 08:43 AM
So has anybody actually got all the achievements without using a guide at all?

I've gone through the main game 3 times now on all difficulties and only have about 3 manuscript pages to find and i've got 92/100 coffee thermoses

I really want to get everything found without a guide as i feel it would take away the challenge of beating the game - I'm not knocking anyone thats used a guide to get the achievements btw ;)

For me i love the suspense and tension knowing that even though it's pitch black, the areas full of Taken, and i'm low on ammo i have to convince myself that i should go into and double check that cave/house/woods because there might just be that thermos or manuscript page i'm missing

What's your views?

MetzoPaino
08-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I would be proud after finding all of the manuscript pages without a guide, however I would just be relieved to have done the same with coffee thermoses because they are so pointless.

PotentialTERROR
08-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I would be proud after finding all of the manuscript pages without a guide, however I would just be relieved to have
done the same with coffee thermoses because they are so pointless.

Cool thank's for your input :)

I find alan wake so satisfying, more so than any other game i've played and i don't know why lol

hellsing
08-08-2010, 10:54 AM
yep, i dont use guides for games just because they always manage to spoil something.
I played through like 3 times for my last thermos and it was on the farm level where the road has two run down tractors with one next to both and given they were so close together i always skipped past checking so close to where i just found one.
Side from that they were all pretty easy, but then i enjoy exploring every nook and cranny of a game anyway to find the secrets.

Now that i think about it its probably max payne that got me into doing that.

Celeste
08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I use guides, but never on my first playthrough. That way nothing gets spoiled, but the second time around I don't feel like I'm just running in circles and missing stuff.

I also tend to look in every corner and look at every object, every part of the environment, etc., but AW makes it harder to do that. For a lot of games I don't use them at all, but for something like AW where it's so extremely dark and practically everywhere you go you get attacked, I pretty much need one. I mean, I even used a guide and I'm still missing three thermoses somehow.

PotentialTERROR
08-09-2010, 05:18 AM
I did my 4th run last night to try and gain all the coffee thermoses and a couple of chests that i'm missing. I found quite a few things that i missed before hand so, so far so good. I'm just getting to the mines so hopefully i haven't missed anything yet

The only achievement that's causing slight difficulty is the Dont restart or die during the Signal DLC, I got all the way through to the warehouse at the end of the episode and bloody died last night lol ! - Gonna retry tonight after work

hellsing
08-09-2010, 05:36 AM
I whent for the boss timed one at the same time, saved my flare gun ammo for it and just shot my way right through in seconds. made the fight incredibly easy and so i didn't die from the taken in the fight because they have no chance to even start spawning.

PotentialTERROR
08-09-2010, 06:06 AM
I whent for the boss timed one at the same time, saved my flare gun ammo for it and just shot my way right through in seconds. made the fight incredibly easy and so i didn't die from the taken in the fight because they have no chance to even start spawning.

I only had 1 flare gun shot left lol and i used it to get through the door after you speak with Zane.

I died when i jumped down to bolt it to the boss, i got axed by a Taken. I've got the timed achievement already thankfully and i've got all the other achievements associated with The Signal bar the not dont restart or die one

Tonight i will redo it and hopefully get it