PDA

View Full Version : Not enough info, please help me

kyle939
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Heya people

I was reading the FAQ about the game, Alan Wake. Well I was reading, I need help on my computer, because I dunno if the game would work in my pc, and I wanna play this game soo bad, 'without' lag.

My rig:

P4 3.60Ghz (Hyper Threaded)
Geforce 7950GX2 1G RAM (work it work on the 7900GX2?)
Serial ATA
3G RAM DDR2
2TB harddrive space
Sound Blaster Live Audigy

That is my rig, and I was wondering, if the game will work on that, 'without' any lag, or shall I wait for the Quad Core graphics cards, coming out in June?. This is the only game that I have been waiting for this long, and I hope so much, that I can play on this computer, without lag, and have god graphics.

Thanks in advanced.
kyle939

grahamsmith
11-01-2006, 07:38 PM
just a thought , i try not to play games on the pc anymore for that very reason. i have an xbox360 now,so there won't any lag .

kyle939
11-01-2006, 07:46 PM
just a thought , i try not to play games on the pc anymore for that very reason. i have an xbox360 now,so there won't any lag .

I don't have a 360, that's why I made this thread.

sidetwo
11-01-2006, 08:33 PM
It's too early to tell about system specs at the moment, when it's closer to release Remedy will be able to release some system specs that would be needed to run it. Even they don't know what is needed at the moment.

Dark River
11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Well for one your video card is a fricken beast. So I don't think you'll have any problems putting all your settings on high, but the CPU might be a problem, however they did mention if you have hyperthreading CPU than you should be fine. Don't bother upgrading just for AW, I mean your GPU is sweet for the next two years.

kyle939
11-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Well for one your video card is a fricken beast. So I don't think you'll have any problems putting all your settings on high, but the CPU might be a problem, however they did mention if you have hyperthreading CPU than you should be fine. Don't bother upgrading just for AW, I mean your GPU is sweet for the next two years.

Thanks. PCI EXPRESS is the best at the moment, but we got the Quad Core's coming out soon, and the 8000 series, so I might get the first 8000 Graphics card, if it is better than mine. lol

Dark River
11-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah I'm upgrading to PCI express, but I'll just get a Athlon Dual Core 5000 or something.

Superbus Von Underduck
11-03-2006, 12:06 AM
I have a 64bit dual core 4400+, 2 gig of RAM and a Geforce 7900GTX; Neverwinter Nights 2 isn't running flawlessly on full detail. I'm not happy.

Dark River
11-03-2006, 02:27 AM
what's the problem, framerate?

Superbus Von Underduck
11-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Yeah I'm getting around 15 FPS, I'm not sure whether or not it's just because there's a lot happening in the first area, but it's quite frustrating because I literally only upgraded a couple of months ago.

kyle939
11-03-2006, 10:00 AM
What about an X1950XT-X PCI EXPRESS graphics card?, would that work ok with this game. I ask this question because, my brother has that card, and he want's to play the game too.

Dark River
11-03-2006, 10:52 PM
What about an X1950XT-X PCI EXPRESS graphics card?

Holy crap yes.

Dark River
11-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah I'm getting around 15 FPS, I'm not sure whether or not it's just because there's a lot happening in the first area, but it's quite frustrating because I literally only upgraded a couple of months ago.

What screen resolution?

I'm assuming you've got all the details on Max however I see no reason why your getting such an awful frame rate. You should definitely be getting no less than 60 on that hardware. (comparing at tomshardware.com)

However checking out a review for the game they did run into a few bugs. But nothing to do with frame rate.

Morry
11-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Ah, this takes me back to the days before Oblivion came out. Many a fan would post on the board with their ridiculously awesome specs, wondering if the game would run well. And there I was with my P4 2.6ghz, 9600xt only caring if the game actually started. In the end, I enjoyed playing Oblivion at a decent graphical level through various tweaking and I'm sure my experience of the game would have been just the same as someone with a top of the line system.

kyle939
11-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Holy crap yes.

Ohh ok, Thank you for all your help. I think, if you have a good graphics card, you should'nt have any problem playing the game, as I have a good graphics card, I should hopefully play the game. Also, I was thinking of getting a Dual Core processor, which the best one I could find runs at 2.44, when mine runs at 3.60, that means I have a better CPU, and I know someone who had that processor and you could see the difference, so I can only hope the game works.

Let's all pray together, lol.

kyle939

Superbus Von Underduck
11-04-2006, 11:36 AM
The clock speed isn't the only thing that determines how well the CPU handles it's tasks, IPC and local cache also play an important role, among other things. It's not advisable to take the clock speed and assume that one processor is a better than another because it has a higher number in the title.

@DarkRiver

I'm running Neverwinter Nights 2 at a resolution of 1280x960, all of the other options are on max; it's a little better now that I'm out of the first village, but I have a feeling that when I get into the game and spells start flying out of my ass, the light sourcing is going to reek havoc with my machine. It could just be Balmora Syndrome (bloated code).

Anyone else having FPS issues?

kyle939
11-04-2006, 12:45 PM
The clock speed isn't the only thing that determines how well the CPU handles it's tasks, IPC and local cache also play an important role, among other things. It's not advisable to take the clock speed and assume that one processor is a better than another because it has a higher number in the title.

@DarkRiver

I'm running Neverwinter Nights 2 at a resolution of 1280x960, all of the other options are on max; it's a little better now that I'm out of the first village, but I have a feeling that when I get into the game and spells start flying out of my ass, the light sourcing is going to reek havoc with my machine. It could just be Balmora Syndrome (bloated code).

Anyone else having FPS issues?

Ohhh, ok. Well in my DXDiag, it show's I have 4mb Cache, and my dad also said I did, because he is a computer technician (owns his own shop/ office), so he know's quiet abit about computers.

Dark River
11-05-2006, 09:15 PM
It also is important to remember that it depends more on how many operations a CPU can do per clock cycle, this is the reason why AMD CPU's have less clock cycles, they were more efficient than Intel's CPUs. And I say 'were' as in a year ago, Intel's just ahead right now.

Kaylel
11-11-2006, 07:42 AM
The video card won't be the issue guys, it's the CPU. It's a 5 threaded game and a hyperthreaded CPU is only 2 threads. Get a dual-core, dual-core HT, or quad-core and you'll be fine. I wouldn't even dream of playing this game on an HT single-core, and that's what I have. But I have an Xbox360 so I don't care anymore, gave up on the PC.