Alan Wake: American Nightmare Theories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alan Wake: American Nightmare Theories

We obviously do not know the intentions of Thomas Zane in leaving Mr Scratch in Alan's place at this time, however it could be suggested that for the story to be balanced, there must be perils and thrills and in order for Alan to escape with Alice alive, he must allow Mr Scratch to take his place and then at a later point in the story swap back over with Scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by tomwhitaker View Post
      We obviously do not know the intentions of Thomas Zane in leaving Mr Scratch in Alan's place at this time, however it could be suggested that for the story to be balanced, there must be perils and thrills and in order for Alan to escape with Alice alive, he must allow Mr Scratch to take his place and then at a later point in the story swap back over with Scratch.
      I agree. In the writer dlc Zane doesnt actually say he created mr. scratch. So the origin of Mr. Scratch is still unexplained. But from what I see from AW and the trailers for AWAN is that there is going to be a war between light and the darkness.

Comment

The Dark Presence is definitely 'branching out' as it were. I think Alan Wake is the biggest fish Emil Hartman caught in terms of creative prowess as well as being the most 'international'. I mean, we are physically shown his New York life - apartment, television interview, hangover - and then shown the absolute contrast of Bright Falls. The Dark Presence as Alan states: "It's not a lake. It's an ocean." So you might infer from this that as an entity, it was thinking along the lines of: "We've got a talented, international writer as a face... let's go make trouble." In the words of Mr. Scratch: "This is just for kicks."

Comment

After dealing with barbara jagger, freeing alice and thomas zane, alan is ultimately left alone in the dark place with nobody to free him and nobody left to fight. This splits his personality into two, creating mr. scratch (Alan's dark side) and the player (Alan's good side).

The dark place is now basically a war zone for alan to fight his own evils. Hopefully when alan defeats scratch he frees himself from the dark place and he has already fought his dark half so now his personality can not split like it did to create mr scratch

Comment

Didn't Mr. Scratch appear before Alan went to the Dark Place though?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexEnteprises1 View Post
              After dealing with barbara jagger, freeing alice and thomas zane, alan is ultimately left alone in the dark place with nobody to free him and nobody left to fight. This splits his personality into two, creating mr. scratch (Alan's dark side) and the player (Alan's good side).

The dark place is now basically a war zone for alan to fight his own evils. Hopefully when alan defeats scratch he frees himself from the dark place and he has already fought his dark half so now his personality can not split like it did to create mr scratch
              I believe Wake didn't free Zane. Nice theory nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
                Yes, it is.
                That kinda confuses me a little. Since Night Springs is a fictional place within the world of Alan Wake, this has got to be happening either in the dark place or inside Alan's own head. It can't be really happening. But fiction tend to become real in Alan's world and since Alan wrote a episode of night springs, he has kind of written the town of night springs itself into existence in the real world.
                Speculation is fun, isn't it?

Comment

Well, that's something we get into in the game itself. =)
                  Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Moridin View Post
                    Alan called him a caricature of himself. This might mean that Scratch is Alan's negative qualities, his anger, his ego (going by Scratch saying he likes to be the center of attention.)
                    I think the same. My opinion is that Alan is still fighting his other side within his own head. Coming to end of The Writer he was in this room on top of the mountain where Alan saw himself talking to Dr. Hartigan (oh, now I read it was Hartman!) and where he realised that it was him still kept in the dark place but also (or is his mind "the dark place" as a result?) realised that it was his fight "seeing the light again" as i like to call it metaphorically. So I think after the fight against Barry he still fights againts his bad side. And the TVs and Radios are kind of connection to the real world in which Mr. Scratch is the kind of person the people see of Alan but he is eighter locally far to Alice or he is with Alice but in the radio plays Alice appels to the good sides of Alan and that she hadn´t seen him for two years cause he had changed that much (again(!), as the drug and party life is undeniably real as far as I´m not wrong).

I hope that someone can understand what I mean cause interpreting is one of the things which fascinate me the most about Alan Wake.
                    Last edited by EndTHEjourney; 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM. Reason: first cause the quote was wrong, second that I read Hartman´s name in another post

Comment

My interpretation was Alan, now that he understood his powers more, wrote night springs into the real world.
                      This happened to be in Arizona.
                      You see the cabin at the start of each loop sink back down.
                      Alan says he was just using the episode of night springs as a tool to help manifest this reality. He knows almost immediately that by creating this a rift has been created at the oil well.
                      Mr scratch is in the real world but can't fully do his thing for the darkness until Alan is totally list to the darkness, they are still linked. he mentions letting Alice see him a few times which of course she dismisses.
                      U can look at the man strangled which could be nightingales partner but perhaps that is a stretch.
                      Scratch creates the loop to keep Alan locked away as he knows Alan was becoming himself more powerful.
                      I could go on for ages but will take ages on my phone but there are many references through out the game that you are in real world Arizona.
                      It is all in there through manuscripts, tv, radio etc. It has also been two years but Alan is learning more and more, before he mentions he couldn't escape the darkness but could communicate through mediums such as radio waves. Even if it is in the real world he didn't actually escape as he was followed.
                      However as the whole story is based around time/space/darkness/re shaping reality it could be anything remedy want it to be, kind of what the end sequence alludes to.
                      I would prefer this to be shown as real after the interesting characters like the scientist, it also has more impact to the overall impact.
                      If it is just another layer than it is just Alan debating with himself and by the submission of the fact Alan was treating them as real would show he is as lost in his mind as ever.

Sorry for the jumbled rant, just was typing as ideas came back to me from when I played it, no structure to my theories.
                      Last edited by revan8; 03-08-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Wow, only two theories posted post game release. No one else got any interesting theories to share?

Comment

Originally posted by N0T PENNYS B0AT View Post
                          One question I think we have to ask, though this previous post confuses me as to whether or not it's even relevant, is "Did Tom know Mr. Scratch's intentions? If he knew he was evil or whatever, why did he seem fine when telling Alan that Scratch would be taking his place?"
                          That's one of the things I really want to know too. The fact that Thomas couldn't sense that Scratch was evil in the first place. I think it was the Dark Presence that actually created him. Scratch mentions he wants to spread the Darkness, so maybe with Alan trapped and continuing to create the story, you'd have Scratch out there spreading the words like a new novel (I know GunGrave TZA mentioned that theory and I like that) and the novel is somehow contagious?

Thomas even says that Scratch is going to replace him while in the Dark Place, so with Jagger defeated, did he think Scratch was good now? So then, maybe Scratch was corrupted by jealousy and therefore went dark?

I'm also curious about how time works in the Dark Place. Two years went by in our time, but how long was it for Alan? How do you eat? Sleep? In a place like that for so long? And prior with Alan being in there for a week without sleep? It couldn't have been that long for him there.

So many questions.
                          "And I was in the Darkness.
                          So Darkness I became."
                          Alan Wake Fanlisting

Comment

See my idea always was about this was that Alan was trapped in the dark place and is trying to find a way out so he then tries to write a new story 'Return' in which he escapes from the dark place. He uses a story of Night Springs as his story and a location, Arizona, as a sort of anchor or a doorway into the world. However, in the story of Night Springs there was one about a man and his evil doppelganger and as Alan is now in this story this becomes him and Mr Scratch. (If you remember from the first game one of the Night Springs shows has a man that killed someone that apparently was himself, I think it was something like 'The Man in the Mirror' or something, so I think that's what story it is). So Alan then has to write a conflict between the two to make it believable and to fight his way out of the dark place which he has put the doorway into Arizona. Or that's the way I saw it anyway

Comment

Oh also just to add that maybe the darkness is taking over Alan and as he's going insane it could just be a personified version of his schizophrenia

Comment

Ok here is my theory, lol here we go...
                                when Alan went to the dark place at the end of the first game he wrote a sequel to Depature called Return. I think he wrote another episode of night springs while in the dark place to help him get out, because the Darkness responds to works of art with the Night springs episode being that. I think he intentionally had Mr. Scratch reset the events in the game because everything u create in the dark place has to balance itself out and each time he would write something else in that would help him, for instance the film that Alice had made which i think rewrote reality itself because on the film behind mr. scratch as he is being burnt away u can clearly see mr scratch being shown on the film. After he burns away Mr scratch is replaced with alan meaning he is back in the real world. Other things further my point like at the end of the credits it says the title of the episode is "return" (the title to the sequel of depature) and in one of the bonus movies it shows barry wake up in the motel and he thinks he heres alan, meaning he either escaped and kind of sent out a signal to barry when he returned or he's at least very close to escaping. And u can tell in that bonus video Barry is not the manager of the Old Gods of Asgard maybe meaning with Alan's escape from the dark place, maybe that rewrote reality.
                                Mr. Sir Quacker to the rescue..

Comment

Working...
                                X