Alan Wake: American Nightmare Theories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Wake: American Nightmare Theories

It appears it is once again time to start theorizing.

It would appear that Alan is going full on into the war, and that Scratch is the new face of the Darkness, at least, going by the mention of the Light vs. Dark war.

It seems to me that the nature of Scratch seems to be a bit more obvious now, if not how he came to be. Alan called him a caricature of himself. This might mean that Scratch is Alan's negative qualities, his anger, his ego (going by Scratch saying he likes to be the center of attention.)

That's all I have for now.
    I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Re: Alan Wake: American Nightmare Theories

Wake is the new Barbara.
    http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/pyramidhead/

Comment

Originally posted by Pyramid head View Post
      Wake is the new Barbara.
      What are you suggesting here, that Alan has been possessed by the Dark Prescence, cause i dont think that would work if he's the good guy.
      I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

Isn't Night Springs a fictional place in Alan Wake as well? If so, then it could be that Alan or someone wrote the whole story into existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirror Peak View Post
          Isn't Night Springs a fictional place in Alan Wake as well?
          Yes, it is.
          Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Ok, here are two points that came to my mind:

Either Wake needs to remove Scratch from the real world, because both can't exist there, and since every story has to be coherent he writes it so that the dark presence took scratch as a new vessel.

Or Wake tries to get rid of the 'touch' of the darkness, by placing all the darkness into scratch, Transferring it to a Night Spring setting, were he can have it so, that Scratch is a twin that split off from him, taking all the 'darkness' with him.

Comment

To me, it doesn't sound like Wake is even leaving the lake in this.... If night springs is something made up, then he's still probably fumbling around his mind, ala The Signal and The Writer.

I know he wrote an episode for Night Springs early in his career, but.... this has to take place after AW because of the mention of Mr Scrach.

I'm at a loss.

Comment

In Alan Wake, Tom said Mr. Scratch was going to be meeting Alan's friends. In the trailer, it seems that Mr. Scratch is with someone who has a bag over their head. Maybe Mr. Scratch kidnapped someone Alan knows for whatever reason, and the game is about Alan getting them back. Or Mr. Scratch, posing as Alan in the real world, is trying to frame Alan for murder and Alan has to get out of the Dark Place in time to stop him. I was going to implicate Tom in here somewhere but I was afraid I was going to get a bloody nose just thinking about it.

Comment

Thank You Remedy!

After several weeks of hype and anticipation, the VGA's turned out to be awful, trailers that barely lasted 5 seconds after mega amounts of "Grand" and "exclusive" reveals!

Alan Wake was the only one with a REAL proper trailer, so well done.

I like what Remedy are doing with AWAN, It's a spin-off, not a sequel, too many games nowadays release sequels, Fully numbered sequels and it's EXACTLY the same as the previous entry, with a few minor additions (*cough* Gears Of War, *Cough* Call Of Duty)

Where as Games like Unreal Tournament, Half Life and Battlefeld to name a few, they only release SEQUELS when it's a next-gen platform or there is truly a real difference in gameplay and mechanics after several years, till then they release spin offs.

The word sequel is overused nowadayas, Spin-Off should be used more often, and I'm glad American Nightmare isn't a sequel, maybe in terms of narrative it is, but it technical and engineering terms, it isn't
                  Reformed Max Payne 3 basher
                  Loving Max Payne 3 since Edge's Cover 2011

Comment

MOUNT something OBSERVATORY - classic wake.

Comment

Originally posted by youcannotsee View Post
                      MOUNT something OBSERVATORY - classic wake.
                      Mount Redtooth National Observatory.
                      Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Another theory: what if Alan is trying to leave the Dark Place, but to do so he must trade places with Mr. Scratch like Mr. Scratch did with him when he first entered the Dark Place, and Mr. Scratch doesn't want to?

Comment

Originally posted by Mirror Peak View Post
                          Another theory: what if Alan is trying to leave the Dark Place, but to do so he must trade places with Mr. Scratch like Mr. Scratch did with him when he first entered the Dark Place, and Mr. Scratch doesn't want to?
                          Well, we don't know for certain that Alan and Scratch traded places. To me it seems to more strongly hint that Alan traded places with Alice.

Comment

I allways thought that Scratch was a good guy lol
                            Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

And i thought that scratch was an entity that lived in the dark place and wanted to steal alan's identity. course, well...my idea could still work....-ponders-

Comment

Working...
                              X