Alan Wake's American Nightmare: So, What Happened

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Wake's American Nightmare: So, What Happened

Since American Nightmare was getting close to release, traffic for a video I made a year ago which detailed and explained the plot and backstory of Alan Wake increased in traffic quite a bit, and since American Nightmare released I've been getting a lot of comments, other than the ones saying I look like Alan Wake himself asking about the story of American Nightmare, and in paticular, Mr. Scratch.

So, I submit to all of you Alan Wake's American Nightmare: So What Happened?

I talk about the game's plot and backstory and intercut it as seamlessly as I can with footage from the game. Hopefully if you have any questions about the game this helps you out. Enjoy!

http://gamexcess.net/2012/03/13/alan...what-happened/

Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare: So, What Happened

Hey Maniac,

I'm absolutely loving this stuff. You're really meticulous about this, and I think you have a really good grasp of certain basic concepts that we deal with -- which I mention because it's not as common as you might think!

As you know, I don't really want to confirm theories, so I won't comment on any of the conjecture -- but I want to say that I love how you think about this stuff and try to make things fit the big picture. I think you deserve credit for something that a lot of people kind of stumble on -- you have a good understanding of what kind of things should be taken literally, and which have a more of a symbolic quality. For example, I've seen a lot of people on various online conversations get stuck on the "he's my dark half" bit about Mr. Scratch and immediately drawing the conclusion that Wake has been split in two, even though there's plenty of material in the game that suggests that Mr. Scratch is something else -- stuff that you had obviously had no trouble taking in context. By the same token, I really like that you make it clear which parts are something that the game confirms and which parts are your own theories.

I really enjoyed this, and I recommend that everybody who's interested in what's going on in Alan Wake's American Nightmare check this out (as well as your previous installment, which was also great!). I'm not saying that you interpret everything exactly right (obviously, there's a lot of things we leave open on purpose), but it's a really good synopsis and insightful analysis of what happens in the game.

Great job, man. I am not exaggerating at all when I say that people like you are very much in our minds when we work on this stuff -- you know, we throw in a tiny detail and think, "nobody's gonna get that" and then we go, "no, there's always somebody who's gonna pay attention and start thinking about it." You're that guy, and we love you for it. =)
    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

The video is lengthy but you explained things very professionally.

I would also recommend anyone to watch if they're still confused or just want to check if they missed out on some details.

Comment

Wow, that's quite an endorsement from Mikki. =)
        "Following a typical nightmare pattern, I was late, desperately trying to reach my destination – a lighthouse – for some urgent reason I couldn’t remember."

Comment

Maniac, there's sub's?
          Chelsea Football Club - CFC' GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsh View Post
            Wow, that's quite an endorsement from Mikki. =)
            I guess! Well-deserved, though. It's great that he makes the effort, and this isn't the first time, either. =)
            Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Wow. I am just overwhelmed by the response. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by WakeLestat360 View Post
                Maniac, there's sub's?
                Of course. You can subscribe to my videos in two ways. One, directly off my YouTube Channel

Or, you can go to my website and either subscribe to my site if you have a Wordpress account or put your email address in the subscribe section in the site's sidebar (lower right). I do more than produce videos, I also post up articles, editorials and news, so you'll be notified about more than just my videos if you do that.

Comment

I think he might have meant subtitles. =)

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
                    I think he might have meant subtitles. =)
                    Wow I got that wrong.
                    Last edited by Maniac; 03-14-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Just need to look for that subtext.
                      I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                        Wow I got that wrong.
                        Yeah, i was saying subtitles... I'm not a pro yet on english, and i can understand a lot of what you say, but sometimes i kinda of loss myself. But thank you, i will subscribe on your videos and site! IT's a nice one, indeed!
                        Chelsea Football Club - CFC' GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                          Since American Nightmare was getting close to release, traffic for a video I made a year ago which detailed and explained the plot and backstory of Alan Wake increased in traffic quite a bit, and since American Nightmare released I've been getting a lot of comments, other than the ones saying I look like Alan Wake himself asking about the story of American Nightmare, and in paticular, Mr. Scratch.

So, I submit to all of you Alan Wake's American Nightmare: So What Happened?

I talk about the game's plot and backstory and intercut it as seamlessly as I can with footage from the game. Hopefully if you have any questions about the game this helps you out. Enjoy!

http://gamexcess.net/2012/03/13/alan...what-happened/
                          Would you by any chance have analised the synopsis of AW1 as well? I can't seem to find it, couuld u link it for us? I loved the american nightmare explenation a lot. Thanks!
                          *Spread the Teddycult!*

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ninjat...22685397758086

Comment

Originally posted by MestV View Post
                            Would you by any chance have analised the synopsis of AW1 as well? I can't seem to find it, couuld u link it for us? I loved the american nightmare explenation a lot. Thanks!
                            Enjoy my friend.

http://gamexcess.net/2011/01/18/alan...what-happened/

Comment

Good job Maniac.

Comment

Working...
                              X