X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: No PC version of Alan Wake! Thread V3

Originally posted by PC Gamer View Post
    -snip-
    Actually none of those games haven't been successfully pirated. The only thing those protections do is make the resale value of your game $0.00 while upsetting paying customers that have issues with GfWL in their country or if they have minimal/no internet connection etc. (e.g. deployed military). Plus GfWL is really buggy and typically causes save game corruptions and annoying disconnects. Securom also seems to have a habit of annoying crashes with certain video cards for no explainable reason.

MS and Sony would never do that to console gamers as they'd go literally nuts. But they do allow day zero DLC codes such as was the case with Alan Wake 1. i.e. someone that buys a used copy has to pay for the first DLC vs. someone who bought it new.

I would be OK with Steamworks only and make it a Steamworks title only if the brick + mortar publishing costs for PC are too high. As steamworks titles can be played offline, tie to your account (i.e. kill 2nd hand resale market) and stop day zero piracy without draconian measures that disrupt your customers. e.g. Batman AC's 30 minute unlock process (after you've installed the game) due to the triplex DRM of GfWL, Securom and Steamworks... YUCK!

Anyway, I'm glad there's some discussion still going on in this thread, but I think both sides are baiting each other rather than actually progressing the discussion beyond "we want it", "no you can't have it you scum" "no you're the scum" etc. ad nausem.
    Last edited by yogibbear; 12-12-2011, 11:02 AM.
    Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Yeah Steamworks please. I would like to buy a physical copy of it and also get it to steam. So no no to GFWL crap.

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
        Actually none of those games haven't been successfully pirated. The only thing those protections do is make the resale value of your game $0.00 while upsetting paying customers that have issues with GfWL in their country or if they have minimal/no internet connection etc. (e.g. deployed military). Plus GfWL is really buggy and typically causes save game corruptions and annoying disconnects. Securom also seems to have a habit of annoying crashes with certain video cards for no explainable reason.

MS and Sony would never do that to console gamers as they'd go literally nuts. But they do allow day zero DLC codes such as was the case with Alan Wake 1. i.e. someone that buys a used copy has to pay for the first DLC vs. someone who bought it new.

I would be OK with Steamworks only and make it a Steamworks title only if the brick + mortar publishing costs for PC are too high. As steamworks titles can be played offline, tie to your account (i.e. kill 2nd hand resale market) and stop day zero piracy without draconian measures that disrupt your customers. e.g. Batman AC's 30 minute unlock process (after you've installed the game) due to the triplex DRM of GfWL, Securom and Steamworks... YUCK!

Anyway, I'm glad there's some discussion still going on in this thread, but I think both sides are baiting each other rather than actually progressing the discussion beyond "we want it", "no you can't have it you scum" "no you're the scum" etc. ad nausem.
        You never saw the memo that Steamworks only games are the basis for most pirate copies as they are because Steamworks only is easy to pirate. GFWL + Securom is the best choice for publishers who are unsure about even porting the game which is what is happening here. I mean Alan Wake as good as it is was never ever going to sell many consoles was it.........

Back on topic or they could release on PC with no DRM whatsoever but make sure only legit buyers get to play the DLC as the DLC would be tied to GFWL via the GFW Marketplace

Comment

Originally posted by Mirror Peak View Post
          Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't be passionate. I just think if you want people to listen to you, you need to engage them on a level that actually reaches people instead of, for example, calling them "back stabbers".
          You're right but have you even wondered why those "Disgruntled" PC gamers are acting like this ? From the moment of Remedy's immediate shunning of info regarding the PC ver. to PC gamers at the time when these "cancellation" Rumours started flowing.

Just how would 360 gamers feel if all of a sudden The next Halo iteration was canceled for the 360 and being made a PS3 exclusive. 360 gamers bow to Bungie as their most prestigious and Legendary Developer for supporting their platform, the fanbase and never letting them down. What would be their reaction ? They wouldn't just "engage" with them like normal people do with each other. They will get emotional, irrational and start the "Hatespeech" everytime they hear about them Because they feel such a big sense of Betrayal from their most Trusted developer.

Just how would a PS3 fan feel like all of a sudden Uncharted 3 that was canned for the PS3 by Naughty Dog and being made 360 exclusive.

Iam just giving of you an example of just how people would feel if this happened with them. Although Remedy's games have also console ports but allways they've worked with the PC versions while R* made the 360, PS3 ports for MP1 & 2. So, like they gave us Mod tools with the MP series, a level editor,etc. They made us feel special so that's why we held them as a PC great but all of sudden shockingly they went from a hero to zero for us. These things do matter.
          Last edited by khawaja007; 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by khawaja007 View Post
            You're right but have you even wondered why those "Disgruntled" PC gamers are acting like this ? From the moment of Remedy's immediate shunning of info regarding the PC ver. to PC gamers at the time when these "cancellation" Rumours started flowing.

Just how would 360 gamers feel if all of a sudden The next Halo iteration was canceled for the 360 and being made a PS3 exclusive. 360 gamers bow to Bungie as their most prestigious and Legendary Developer for supporting their platform, the fanbase and never letting them down. What would be their reaction ? They wouldn't just "engage" with them like normal people do with each other. They will get emotional, irrational and start the "Hatespeech" everytime they hear about them Because they feel such a big sense of Betrayal from their most Trusted developer.

Just how would a PS3 fan feel like all of a sudden Uncharted 3 that was canned for the PS3 by Naughty Dog and being made 360 exclusive.

Iam just giving of you an example of just how people would feel if this happened with them. Although Remedy's games have also console ports but all ways they've worked with the PC versions while R* made the 360, PS3 ports for MP1 & 2. So, like they gave us Mod tools with the MP series, a level editor,etc. They made us feel special so that's why we held them as a PC great but all of sudden shockingly they went from a hero to zero for us. These things do matter.
            If a company making a game I like suddenly switched consoles, I wouldn't care. They're a business doing what they need to do, our business relationship is over and clinging to it wont solve anything. But even if I did care, there's still no excuse for being mean to them. If anything, that'd just drive people away. And really, it's only a videogame. It's not worth being mad over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirror Peak View Post
              If a company making a game I like suddenly switched consoles, I wouldn't care. They're a business doing what they need to do, our business relationship is over and clinging to it wont solve anything. But even if I did care, there's still no excuse for being mean to them. If anything, that'd just drive people away. And really, it's only a videogame. It's not worth being mad over.
              Well, PC is not a console. Switching between consoles is one thing and switching between a PC and a Console totally another. Their business flows because people buy their products and that they've got a great fanbase. If their treatment for their Past and Future customers is like this then what would be their customer's attitude ?

Same as the rest of world. You give respect and we give it back to you.
              Last edited by khawaja007; 12-12-2011, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Well, PC is not a console. Switching between consoles is one thing and switching between a PC and a Console totally another. Their business flows because people buy their products and that they've got a great fanbase. If their treatment for their Past and Future customers is like this then what would be their customer's attitude ?

Same as the rest of world. You give respect and we give it back to you.
                Okay, if game switched from Xbox exclusive to PC exclusive instead of say Xbox exclusive to PS3 exclusive, it still wouldn't matter to me because I wouldn't be playing that game. I don't find videogames all that crucial to my survival or thriving, so not being able to play one doesn't amount to abuse in my mind, and I wouldn't hold anything against the developer or publisher for changing their focus. But if I did let if affect me that much, all I'm saying is I'd try to handle it in the nicest way possible because people would be more inclined to listen to me then.

Comment

People that actually could make the decision and press the big red button to kickstart a PC port or PC release or what-have-you don't care about whether their customers are butthurt c-bomb dropping douchebags or if they are baby jesus reincarnate. They just care if there's enough of them and if it will be profitable or not.

Basically even if there were 100 of us on here being civilised and continuing to post why we think a PC version would be worthwhile we couldn't change their minds. It's just not enough to justify it. No matter what we do we won't change their minds and that's it.

It is that exact powerlessness that causes people to act out in ways that are obviously not how they would react in real life if you walked up to them on the street and had the same conversation about whether or not they were annoyed with RMD about not having a PC version available.

It doesn't matter what I post, or how I word it, I am not in the position or have the information at hand and never will to prove, justify, or show any economical argument for why a PC version should have or should be released ever. I don't work in the games industry, I don't have access to the info that RMD and MS do in relation to piracy, 2nd hand sales, the PC market vs. the console markets and porting costs. I wish I did. I truly wish I did so that I could take my rose-tinted glasses off and see it the way they do. I can't for the life of me figure out how successful franchises that sold well on the PC in a previous RMD life cannot be enough evidence to justify that there are sales out there. Maybe it's not enough and maybe the perks of staying a console exclusive outweighed the extra development efforts and time. That is good enough for me.

Whenever RMD move on to the next game, whether it be Alan Wake or not, I'll still stick around in the hopes of that game being released on the PC platform as I did buy Alan Wake and borrow a mate's 360 to play through it, but the entire time I couldn't help but wonder what was wrong with it. It was the perfect type of game to release on PC. Couches be damned. I have a PC hooked up to my blueray hometheater and another one in my office both capable of playing 2011's full range of games.

Okay I'm waffling now. Too much red wine.
                  Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
                    Basically even if there were 100 of us on here being civilised and continuing to post why we think a PC version would be worthwhile we couldn't change their minds. It's just not enough to justify it. No matter what we do we won't change their minds and that's it.

It is that exact powerlessness that causes people to act out in ways that are obviously not how they would react in real life if you walked up to them on the street and had the same conversation about whether or not they were annoyed with RMD about not having a PC version available.
                    Exactly.

Well there is Windows 8 of course. You know, the in-built 360 game functionality maybe i'll give it a try

Comment

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/12...a-possibility/
                      So to be hyped or not to be hyped :?

Comment

Originally posted by Ke1N View Post
                        Ha, I just saw this on Neogaf. I hope it's true, so that people can experience it and quit bitching at Remedy.
                        Listen to Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats

Comment

Originally posted by teraMEL0S View Post
                          Ha, I just saw this on Neogaf. I hope it's true, so that people can experience it and quit bitching at Remedy.
                          People are only bitching because they want to give Remedy their money for the PC version & its more because of MS comments like Alan Wake is suited to couch gaming MS never apparently got the memo that a lot of PC gamers have their machines hooked up to HDTV's nowadays so can couch away all day

Comment

Originally posted by Ke1N View Post
                            Well, it kinda looks like its finally coming. OpenSteamWorks-AlanWake .

Now, i know Remedy's not speaking but i know that it is coming, so Remedy dont expect alot of sales this time around because of what you and M$ partially did to us back then and also the fact that its been been nearly 2 years since the launch of the 360 ver. Just wanted to say so that M$ and maybe you dont start again bitching about PC Piracy and all that shit. This release may have restored some of the Respect from the PC community but dont expect to anything to change after all that Horrible things that happened in the past. You were once a PC great but never again in this lifetime.
                            Last edited by khawaja007; 12-13-2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=3163]khawaja007[/MENTION], please, don't blame RMD, because it wasn't their decision for the publicity. It was M$'s decision. To not say anything, means, IMO, that they're having a commission between them discussing about it. They didn't abandon it, and I believe in them. M$ did abandon the PC edition on her OWN accord, not RMD's.
                              The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Well, it kinda looks like its finally coming. OpenSteamWorks-AlanWake .

Now, i know Remedy's not speaking but i know that it is coming, so Remedy dont expect alot of sales this time around because of what you and M$ partially did to us back then and also the fact that its been been nearly 2 years since the launch of the 360 ver. Just wanted to say so that M$ and maybe you dont start again bitching about PC Piracy and all that shit. This release may have restored some of the Respect from the PC community but dont expect to anything to change after all that Horrible things that happened in the past. You were once a PC great but never again in this lifetime.
                                Why are you taking this so personally?

Comment

Working...
                                X