Announcement

Collapse

Quantum Break status update

Read the latest patch notes for Quantum Break on Xbox One and Windows 10. Also check out Quantum Break - State of the Game.
See more
See less

New Alan Wake video out! "Alan Wake: Building the Thriller"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Alan Wake video out! "Alan Wake: Building the Thriller"

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything of the sort. =)

Sure. We do have pretty heavy post-processing one some of the cinematics, and because that shot is from a very important scene, great care was paid to it. Our cinematics team worked their asses off on this project, and I think you can really see the results.
    ok nice. and yes you can see the results. definitely the best looking game on xbox 360 and one of the best looking games on consoles period (only real contender being uncharted 2 imo).

Comment

How many parts of cutsence is in real-time? or all the cutsences are prerendered videos just for playing?

Comment

Absolutely loved it. They dont make too many like this. Loved seeing some Snow in what I'm assuming was a flashback scene.

Comment

Originally posted by liuuuuuuu View Post
          How many parts of cutsence is in real-time? or all the cutsences are prerendered videos just for playing?
          The actual cinematics are all separate pre-rendered video files. We do have some sequences where we do what I guess could be called real-time cutscenes (like the "reveal camera" moments, for example), but percentagewise, those are definitely in the minority.

All of the cinematics have been rendered by our game engine, though. It's just that we use more high-resolution models because the camera tends to be a lot closer to the characters than during gameplay, and we throw in a bunch of post-processing to make things look very pretty.

I'm sure we've mentioned this before, but it's also worth pointing out that we do almost all of the major loading in the game during the cinematics -- I believe the only instances you will see a loading screen is when you die, and when you come back to the game after turning it off. (Unless I forgot something, but I'm pretty sure that's it.)
          Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Fantastic trailer. Best yet, got me really pumped. Makes me glad I preordered the limited edition.

Bless you Remedy!

Comment

Originally posted by WakeLestat360 View Post

WOU! The world of Alan Wake is so... real!
              That flashlight looks so real. This is gonna be the best game ever

Comment

Originally posted by Campfire View Post

Awesome video! Shouldn't it be spelled motel though?
                Strange i wonder does it mean something. Hmm mo-tell...

Originally posted by Galactus View Post
                That flashlight looks so real. This is gonna be the best game ever
                I want that flashlight.

This trailer does have a reminiscent of RDR 2. Well Red Dead is stepping on Alan's turf and Remedy is sure not gonna roll over dead. I think this video highlited Alans edge well that is the story, setting, score and pop culture ref. Nice Remedy niceccc.

Comment

Carpet, sir. Carpet.
                  The Usual Suspect? It should blow into small pieces!
                  KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

Originally posted by AnttiApina View Post
                    The Usual Suspect? It should blow into small pieces!
                    I'm glad it didn't shatter. Last time I was so glad about something like that was in "Memento", when the protagonist used a bottle of wine strike someone one the head, and it didn't shatter either.
                    We're used to too much hollywood logic otherwise.

@cut scenes.
                    Ok, now that the game is done, I'm back at my biggest question again, of how long the game is I know it's hard to say with different people playing it and such, but when you mention, that most cutscenes are pre-rendered video files, do you have any estimated running time for those videos?

Comment

Originally posted by golem09 View Post
                      I'm glad it didn't shatter. Last time I was so glad about something like that was in "Memento", when the protagonist used a bottle of wine strike someone one the head, and it didn't shatter either.
                      We're used to too much hollywood logic otherwise.

@cut scenes.
                      Ok, now that the game is done, I'm back at my biggest question again, of how long the game is I know it's hard to say with different people playing it and such, but when you mention, that most cutscenes are pre-rendered video files, do you have any estimated running time for those videos?
                      Seeing as the game has 6 chapters and when the media got to play the first chapter it took them about one and a half hours to complete. So I estimate that it will be in the region of 12 hours excluding all the extras that need to be done such as collecting manuscript pages and other stuff which we are yet to discover.

Comment

Not sure exactly if this has been answered but how does dynamic difficulty work.

Like there's only one difficulty and the game measures how hard it should be.

Or is it the normal, where it's easy, normal, hard and the game limits how hard, hard actually is or something?

Does that at all make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by jamted_12 View Post
                          Seeing as the game has 6 chapters and when the media got to play the first chapter it took them about one and a half hours to complete. So I estimate that it will be in the region of 12 hours excluding all the extras that need to be done such as collecting manuscript pages and other stuff which we are yet to discover.
                          Remedy haven't said how many chapters there are.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            Remedy haven't said how many chapters there are.
                            It has 6 chapters.

Comment

The actual cinematics are all separate pre-rendered video files. We do have some sequences where we do what I guess could be called real-time cutscenes (like the "reveal camera" moments, for example), but percentagewise, those are definitely in the minority.

All of the cinematics have been rendered by our game engine, though. It's just that we use more high-resolution models because the camera tends to be a lot closer to the characters than during gameplay, and we throw in a bunch of post-processing to make things look very pretty.
                              So it wasn't real-time after all. Was it heavy to pre-render the videos? And what kind of graphical effects and tricks you are using in the cinematics? I guess some outside of Xbox 360 capabilities? Could modern PCs do it in real-time?

It's just silly that you make this new fancy engine just to make videos with it, and not in real-time. Okay I know why is that, and thats just a pity you have to make this game to the over 4 year old hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarkko View Post
                                So it wasn't real-time after all. Was it heavy to pre-render the videos? And what kind of graphical effects and tricks you are using in the cinematics? I guess some outside of Xbox 360 capabilities? Could modern PCs do it in real-time?

It's just silly that you make this new fancy engine just to make videos with it, and not in real-time. Okay I know why is that, and thats just a pity you have to make this game to the over 4 year old hardware.
                                I don't see what the problem is with pre-rendered videos. I'd rather have amazing looking cut scenes that are pre-rendered than sub par real time cut scenes.

Comment

Working...
                                X