Face animation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face animation

Ok so some people(reviewers etc.) complains on facial animations in the game.
    That they are stiff etc.
    I think that Remedy should outsource that part of the game to Image Metrics.

Image Metrics made facial animations in games like God of war 3, Devil May Cry 4, Uncharted.
    I have noticed in one picture on Eurogamer that Remedy has used markers to animate face, here
    http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/a...slideshow=true

Image Metrics don't use any markers.
    Alan Wake looks awesome, i am just bit disappointed when i hear that face animation is stiff.
    This is thriller game and facial expressions are crucial.

Does Remedy considered facial animation in external company like Image Metrics?
    http://www.image-metrics.com

Re: Face animation

I think it's a little too late for them to consider alternatives for Alan Wake now

Comment

Hopefully the facials are improved in the future titles.
      KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

It seems they outsourced it, the results were going to be amazing as there were some videos on youtube about the technology used by this company, don't remember the name, but it has been talked on this forums.
        I don't really know what happened, it's weird, but it looks like these facial animations are the same as what we seen in the last E3, so maybe something strange happened and they didn't make it at the end...

Comment

Check the banners of their clients... Who's among them ?
          The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Alan's wife looking a bit tipsy lol

Comment

We haven't seen the finished game yet. Too early to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by reprec View Post
                I don't really know what happened, it's weird, but it looks like these facial animations are the same as what we seen in the last E3, so maybe something strange happened and they didn't make it at the end...
                I suspect it's the result of performance optimizations: the level of detail reduced for models and things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekingtheTruth View Post
                  Alan's wife looking a bit tipsy lol

Hmmm, so thats why they went to Bright Falls in the first place; they have a weed plantation there. Thats why they stop off at the cafe in the beginning of the game... "Alan, go pick up the key... and the munchies". I knew it

Comment

^

Thought I heard Peter Paul's "Puff the Magic Dragon" low on their car's stereo on their trip there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wik2uc69WbU
                    Last edited by SeekingtheTruth; 04-29-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CATNIPLOL View Post
                      Hmmm, so thats why they went to Bright Falls in the first place; they have a weed plantation there. Thats why they stop off at the cafe in the beginning of the game... "Alan, go pick up the key... and the munchies". I knew it
                      That's not Alice final facial animation
                      Alan... Wake up

Comment

Originally posted by Vegan View Post
                        That's not Alice final facial animation
                        Oh, so would you say that the facial animation is great?

Comment

The Facial Animation of Heavy Rain may be a bit better (but there are also critics) but i think the Facial Animation of Alan Wake also will be great. I other Words: I've seen worst

Comment

Originally posted by Red Echidna View Post
                            Oh, so would you say that the facial animation is great?
                            It's quite better.

A lot of post-processing makes a lot of difference
                            Alan... Wake up

Comment

We have a few different methods of doing facial animation - in-game using FaceFX and motion capture used in cinematics. While I think it'll always be possible to get "fugly" single frames out of any game we definitely learned a lot doing Alan Wake, and will try to improve the way we do things to get best possible looking facials. In fact, we're using some of the improvements in the DLC production already.

It's not alone a matter of the method how or where the facial capture is done, it's about the run-time animation techniques available, skeleton setup and so on. It's a complex problem trying to dodge the Uncanny Valley.
                              Last edited by MarkusRMD; 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X