product placement - well done and not over-the-top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• product placement - well done and not over-the-top

Ive heard nothing on this with Alan Wake, but given product placement is more and more the norm - with fans' typically not (always) liking it, I have found the Energizer and Verizon ads well done and unobtrusive. (only on ep 2)

What I find interesting, is that more than one energizer product is seen too, and actually addressed - standard battery versus lithium batteries.....

Any other thoughts?
    WTBF...?

Re: product placement - well done and not over-the-top

Perfect placement imo, as you say they are totally unobtrusive, yet I love the detail on the little packs of batteries, they actually look like packs of batteries!

The Verizon ads I barely noticed and think gave the game a more authentic feel, what TV doesn't flood you with ads the moment you turn it on these days?

Product placement it may be, but it's realistic as well and frankly without things like this it feels less real, hell, if I made a game I'd do it anyway regardless of the money I was paid to get that 'real' feel.

Like the pixel counters, people who moan about this sort of thing really need to get out more.
    Shane: Editor-in-Chief - GameScares.com - (now offline)

Comment

It amazes me people can complain about something so insignificant that I didn't even notice.

Comment

People are surprising creatures!

Comment

Product placement sure does piss off game journalists. Haven't played yet, but I seriously doubt it will bother me.

Comment

I noticed these complaints by journalists too. Having played the game through, my thoughts are firstly that Stephen King himself is well known for putting in brand-names of products to his stories, and secondly, what battery or mobile phone service doesn't have a brand name? Just as with King's novels, these help to sell additional realism to the story, by anchoring it in a recognisable reality. It would be different if the game were interfered with in some way by advertising, but in this case I don't think it is, at all.

Comment

I thought it was really well done too.

Nothing breaks immersion like some obviously fake brand being used. And since it wasn't flashed in everyone's face (no pun intended) which brand it was, I don't see a problem with it.

Comment

Yeah agreed, it's really subtle and well-done.
                In a horror story, the victim keeps asking "Why?", but there cannot be any explanation.The unanswered mystery is the one that stays with us the longest, and it's what we'll remember in the end.

Comment

Apart from the huge Verizon billboard in Episode 6, I agree.
                  Very subtle and well placed.
                  Open up the broken cup
                  Let goodly sin and sunshine in

Comment

Originally posted by Sneeze View Post
                    And since it wasn't flashed in everyone's face (no pun intended)
                    love it.

Comment

We tried our very best to be very conservative and attentive towards gamers. The goal was to make the world feel more real rather than put ads in-your-face. Reading this thread it seems we largely succeeded. Nobody for example has mentioned Ford in this thread which was visible in a few places... What saddens me though that some of it is US centric like the Verizon M-TAG redeem code, while our audience is global. It's just hard to get global deals in place, the marketing world doesn't work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
                        We tried our very best to be very conservative and attentive towards gamers. The goal was to make the world feel more real rather than put ads in-your-face. Reading this thread it seems we largely succeeded. Nobody for example has mentioned Ford in this thread which was visible in a few places... What saddens me though that some of it is US centric like the Verizon M-TAG redeem code, while our audience is global. It's just hard to get global deals in place, the marketing world doesn't work that way.
                        Yeah, I can see how challenging that would truly be......and you guys did good....I find myself actually liking the small placement, cause I actively look to see if I can find it....job well done!
                        WTBF...?

Comment

i dont know , the energizer battery placement was REALLY good

but i laughed out loud with the verizon placement haha

Comment

Ford/Lincoln were were well represented....as was Microsoft's SYNC onboard entertainment software. Gotta love it when the publisher sneaks one in.

Comment

I agree with everyone on this, it was perfectly done.

Comment

Working...
                              X