Songs we considered for Alan Wake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs we considered for Alan Wake

We had multiple candidates for the episode songs in Alan Wake, and I thought you could be interested in what alternates we had.

There are various reasons why these didn't end up in the game. Some artists/record companies declined the opportunity, some were way too expensive, and some songs had too complicated rights holders (e.g. needed permission from 3 different parties to license) and thus it was impossible to secure them. And naturally sometimes we found a better alternative.

So here's a short list.
    • Episode 1: We really wanted Orbison's In Dreams, and got it!
    • Episode 2: For some time we had Lovely head by Goldfrapp as a placeholder and loved the eery feel it gave, but it was unavailable. PJ Harvey - Dear Darkness and Jeff Buckley - Lilac Wine were among the candidates, but Haunted by Poe ended up being a perfect choice.
    • Episode 3: Tom Waits - Sea of Love and Don't Go into the Barn were candidates as well as The Verve - Sit and Wonder and The Arcade Fire - Wake Up. Nick Cave was a very good end result.
    • Episodes 4 & 5: Poets of the Fall were always planned for these.
    • Episode 6: Bowie's Space Oddity was the first choice and we got it!

I remember having multiple discussions with Sam that the soundtrack is too obscure, but now I can admit I was wrong and Sam's creative vision was spot on.

Re: Songs we considered for Alan Wake

Those are definitely very interesting choices you guys had in mind.
    KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

Alternatives were good picks themselves. Hmm... extended B-side Alan Wake CD?
      Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Obscure music is the best kind of music. It's usually written by real artists with heart and soul.
        "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
        (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Comment

Wake Up would have been amazing!

*The fact that Arcade Fire are one of my favourite bands doesnt hinder my judgement at all *

Comment

Some cool choices. What about radio songs? Or did you get first picks for them?
            Team Yu
            https://twitter.com/#!/TeamYuNeedsYOU
            http://facebook.com/TeamYu

Comment

If Alan Wake 2 is made, pleeeeeaaasssseeee say Poets of the Fall would do more songs. Alan Wake is what made me fans of theirs.

Comment

Wow that was great Markus. Hunted by Poe was awesome. I'm glad it's in game.
                When it's all dark...light is so precious, just like the darkness

Comment

Hmm.. interesting list Markus.
                  Chelsea Football Club - CFC' GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by The Darkness View Post
                    Hunted by Poe was awesome. I'm glad it's in game.
                    It's 'Haunted' But yes, I was pleasantly surprised as well. I remember that song from one of the Blair Witch movies.
                    Fun fact: Poe's brother is writer Mark Danielewsk, best known for his debut novel House of Leaves back in 2000.

Comment

I don't have as coherent list of radio songs to post. We were mostly looking for thematically fitting songs, and had more flexibility with those. We were also a bit more opportunistic - searching for the perfect place in the game for the songs we could get.

Comment

Kranitoko: Glad to hear. We have a long and mutually fruitful history with Poets, and we also hope that to continue in the future.

Comment

It's nice to consider alternative stuff there, but could you include even the orchestral CD from both AW1 and AW2. It'd be a nice hearing and help me out to create musical ideas coming from inside me.

But I thought of something musical. I'd be nice if there was a competition for the musicians to create their own music and the winner will have his song in the game as a special one.
                          The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Originally posted by TannosukeGR View Post
                            I'd be nice if there was a competition for the musicians to create their own music and the winner will have his song in the game as a special one.
                            Ah yes, speaking as a musician myself, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
                              Kranitoko: Glad to hear. We have a long and mutually fruitful history with Poets, and we also hope that to continue in the future.
                              I'd love to see "Change" in AW2 somewhere, or in any other games you may have them in.

Comment

Working...
                              X