Please Read Remedy Developers! :/

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Read Remedy Developers! :/

My name is Nathan Beard and I finished Alan Wake. I would like to share something with you from an avid gamer's prospective. Before I tell you what I'm upset about first let me thank you guys for all the hard long long long work you guys put into this game. It had amazing gameplay, tons of suspense, sick graphics, great storyline, and it is one of my favorite games I have ever played. With this said.... I was sooooo upset with the ending! I played through hours and hours of darkness, attempting to rescue my wife, killing crazy people, getting scared out of my mind, and all I wanted was to hold my wife in the end, and being able to relax in the light (with my wife). Instead I'm trapped underwater or in a (underworld) still typing and my wife comes out of the water being alone with no sight of ALAN. So can you please tell me anything that I might not be seeing? or please tell me you are making an alternate ending!? I just want closure and comfort in the end of a very awesome but dark game. if that is not to much to ask for.

Thanks SO much for the game!

-Nathan Beard aka Dark ShadowZ
    Last edited by DarkShadowZ; 05-29-2010, 09:32 AM. Reason: Spoiler warning.

Re: Please Read Remedy Developers! :/

I doubt you will get the answer you are looking for dude
    Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

You can't always get what you want.
      I thought it ended just the right way myself.
      Bright Falls is the new Silent Hill.

Comment

Hey man...

There are some people that haven't played the game... and well, i'm one. My LCE is right close to me, but my X360 has died (not 3 red lights)...

So please, you can use SPOILER TAG? Or maybe, you can post this on "Gameplay Discussion"...

For my good mentality sake, i haven't read what you wrote. I stop when you say "ending"... so, thank god i haven't read.

But, here, how to use spoiler tags :

[ spoiler ] write what you want know [ / spoiler ]

But, without any space between characters "[ spoiler ]"
        Chelsea Football Club - CFC' GO BLUES!

Comment

If it helps any, perhaps you could look at it like this: clearly, Wake makes a great sacrifice at the end to free Alice. Her survival and life are more important to him than his own well-being. Isn't that a fairly pure expression of love, all things considered?
          Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Ok he free's her, but he could have easily writen himself and her into the ending, but im confused with her being alone and him having darkness all around him at the end when he destroyed the darkness with the clicker.

Comment

I felt ripped off at the end of the game, felt like it was just a setup for Alan Wake 2, which I know I won't be buying. I had highhopes and with an ending like that, I was really mad! It felt unfinished, like it was just left off for a sequel. But have to say..Alan Wake was cool looking..great cowboy boots.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkShadowZ View Post
                Ok he free's her, but he could have easily writen himself and her into the ending, but im confused with her being alone and him having darkness all around him at the end when he destroyed the darkness with the clicker.
                Well, Wake can't just write anything that pops into his head. It doesn't work like that. It's a difficult process -- he can't just type "Wake turns into Superman and beats up the bad things!" It needs to be consistent and it needs to follow certain rules, and he can't leave in unintended loopholes or imply things he doesn't mean to imply. Like acts of creation in general, it's a ritual of sorts, really, and if he does it wrong, it doesn't work, or worse, it comes out wrong. We touch on this topic several times during the game.

Also: I think you're confusing the dark place with the dark presence. Not the same thing. =)
                Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Oh i see how it is, Mikki! Shed him some light but leave me in the dark

DarkShadowZ: I personally view AW as just a part of the whole story. AW showed you why Alan Wake is writing, and the obvious story plot is getting his wife back. But there are still many many things that need to be explained, which i'm going to assume is coming with the DLC and Alan Wake 2 (fingers crossed). So the plot of AW, was resolved, it was a mission to save his wife and we did that. But underneath that we have the running story of the dark presence, and all those questions of what, why, how, where. I hope this helped, cause i have no problem with the story or the way it ended. I think its great.

Its not a traditional story, Alice's role was just the Dark Presences way to get Alan to start writing. Alan Wake's whole story doesn't revolve around Alice, that was just the catalyst for him to get thrown into this whole mess.

This is how i view it at least. Everyone has different ideas, have fun trying to figure them out Who knows, this whole thing could be just about Alice.
                  Last edited by hb02; 05-29-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

"I felt ripped off at the end of the game, felt like it was just a setup for Alan Wake 2"

its your loss if you decide not to buy it but thats like complaining that you wont watch LOST because it ends on a cliffhanger making you wonder wtf is going on... the ending was a much better ending than alan and alice lived happily ever after, the end IMO. And remedy have to set themselves up for a sequel. If there isnt an alan wake 2 then i will be pretty pissed at the ending because there is waaaay too much to come to your own conclusions but considering there probably will be AW2, great ending

Comment

The Darkness is too powerful, it won't let the writer free form it's power that easy.

Not even Zane who has a lot of light powers couldn't free from it's power.

Like Mikki said Alan can't just write "And Alice and I got free from the darkness and live happy for ever after" because the darkness won't accept that kind of writting.

It's weird but hey I preffer more Alan Wake than just one game
                      Alan Wake will be missed, Welcome Quantum Break
                      Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense

Comment

To understand the story better I think that it would help to have sequences in AW2 where the player plays as Zane in the 70's.
                        You cannot win an argument with an idiot, or with a fish.

Comment

I look at Alan Wake similar to the way the Matrix's storyline was played out. If you watched only the first movie, you have a complete story. If you watch the trilogy, you have an understanding of the entire arc, but if you want to see every aspect of the story, you needed to watch the three movies, Animatrix, and play the games. AW is playing out somewhat similarly, but in a less linear (storywise) fashion.

If you watch the prequel, Bright Falls, you Spoiler:
                          Going by the ending, Spoiler:
                          Going back to Bright Falls, Spoiler:

This is pretty much an example of how the story will tie in with the upcoming (hopefully) sequels as well as the DLCs. Each of the Bright Falls episodes are also given an episodic number, eg: BF episode 1 is called Vol 1, Ep. 18, and BF5 is Ep 27 which I think are references to where they will eventually fit in the full storyline. At this point, AW's story is still only starting to unfold. Like others mentioned this game is meant to be a complete play experience with no background knowledge required, and because of this, there is only so much that can be answered.

Will Wake find his way out of the darkness? Will he still exist in the world? Tune in next time to find out, same Wake time, same Wake channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Iosonos View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            ...you do realize that Jake Fischer and Alan Wake are not the same character, right? =)

Comment

Originally posted by Danzaiver View Post
                              The Darkness is too powerful, it won't let the writer free form it's power that easy.

Not even Zane who has a lot of light powers couldn't free from it's power.
                              It's not so much that the Darkness won't let him free-form the story, but due to the fact that the Darkness will take advantage of any plot-holes or openings in the story to try and get free.

Quote from the Manuscript, Episode 5 MS 5 Spoiler:

The Darkness will use whatever is not directly set out in the story as an advantage to be used against Alan Wake. Alan also needed to create a story where the Darkness has the ability to get free, in order to give him the opportunity to free himself and his wife. At the end Spoiler:

Remember that the story can not end, the Darkness will be set free when it does. Maybe the Darkness can be dissolved, but for now it still remains, if only without its "heart."

Comment

Working...
                              X