Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Stopper in "EP1 - A Writers Dream" after Ropebridge

Hey Guys!
    I have bought Alan Wake via steam last night, and i have a big problem.
    Randomly the game crash my pc, black screen and i cant do anything. I have updated my video card on 12.1. I have CPUID-Monitor, and i saw the temperature but it's "only" 67-72 when i play Alan Wake. Should i try on windowed mode with lower resolution?

My system is:
    Core 2 Duo E5200 2.50 GHz
    Ati HD 4670 512 MB supported with 12.1 driver
    4GB RAM
    And i attached my DxDiag too.

Please help me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MarkusRMD; 02-20-2012, 09:51 AM. Reason: Moved to a correct thread.

Comment

Re: Game Crashes Entire System - Ch. 1 Start

[MENTION=22717]acsummerfield[/MENTION] happy to hear that it works for you. I would still love to understand what caused the problem and why would Steam Offline Mode make a difference... as I have no idea. So we'll continue investigating.

Comment

If you get the problem figured out I'd also love to know the cause. For the time being, I'll simply switch Steam to Offline Mode before I play.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by acsummerfield View Post
          FINALLY GOT ALAN WAKE WORKING!!!

Someone on the Steam forums suggested that I run the game while Steam was in Offline Mode and it actually worked!

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Tried also in lower resolution, no result.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I'm going to attempt to get a bit further in the game from where I stopped last night, so if the issue persists, even with Steam in Offline Mode, I'll be able to attest to it.

Comment

Well I am suggesting that you should try to launch the game as administrator of the computer. To do that you should right click on the exe file and select Run as administrator.
              http://forums.techarena.in/

Comment

Well, finally had some success!

Put the -verbose command, then -window , deleted the resolution.xml ( and steam is in offline mode, not sure if has anything to do) and the game is running.

On the other hand, when i run the game, the monitor (!!!!) starts making a whining noise which stops only when i am moving around the window of the running game.. in fact, the noise is changing according to the graphics, especially in the menu!!

I think i should call a priest for the pc...

Anyway, you Remedy guys hurry up and give us a patch....

Comment

So here's an interesting thing. I mentioned I had a problem where the entire system shuts down if my DS3 is hooked up to my computer when I start Alan Wake. I thought, fine, it's some conflict with Motioninjoy since it's not a certified driver or whatever.

But I got an official 360 controller today (wired, hooked up with USB) and the same thing happens. The first second of the Remedy logo has time to flash and the system shuts down. Here's the thing, though: if I unplug the controller when I start the game, and plug it in again once the main menu shows up, everything's fine. Something happens in those first few seconds that conflicts with the USB controller somehow. I don't know if it's the 360 driver or the USB interface, but something wonky is going on.

It's not an overheating issue, either, because this is the only game that does it, and it only does it right at the start if at all. So I guess this is another heads up for anyone who is having a similar problem: try unplugging any controller you might have before you start the game, and only plug it in later.

Oh, and if Remedy wants to debug this hands-on, I suppose I could stuff my PC in a backpack and take a bus over to your offices

Comment

Daemus, I don't think our game can tell your pc to shut down - we certainly don't have any code to that effect. This MUST be some kind of configuration issue.

Debugging could reveal something, but unless this problem is more common I'm not sure if it makes sense.

Comment

Oh I'm not implying that. I was just trying to pinpoint the time when this conflict happens, because I can't find anything in the logs I've looked at. It could be a very innocent call from your part that is somehow not jiving with the 360 controller driver/USB interface. Debugging is frustrating because I have to restart my computer every time I try something, so I haven't had the time to do any extensive tests. All I know is that if my 360 controller (or DS3 running a 360 controller emulator) is hooked up when the game starts, the computer shuts down.

In any case, I'm not too concerned. As long as I remember to start the game with the controller unplugged things run just fine. I'm not really asking you to bend over backwards trying to debug my specific issue. It's just something I wanted to point out in case you notice any bigger trends.

Comment

[MENTION=22737]Daemus[/MENTION] yeah, understood and appreciated!

Comment

Did anyone ever find a sollution to this? I've had this same problem with Skyrim when it was new, the only difference is that I could play a few minutes of Skyrim before my computer crashed. With Alan Wake tit just hard crashes when I get through the first cutscene.

Comment

Working...
                          X