Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound problems max payne & Vista

Hej.
    I am using windows vista home premium, and have just installed max payne, I have got it to worke, but, when I start mx, there is sound, when the real game start, it start with the helicopter and some policecars on the road, but here is no sound and when there is the drawings, no sound, but when I am playing there is normal sound, pleas anyone help me.
    My other pc with windows XP, I can play with no problems.

Thanks.
    svaage

Re: sound problems max payne

Yeah, this seems to be a common problem with Max Payne and Vista.

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25731
    http://www.ntcompatible.com/Max_Payne_c5981.html
    http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6154735/p-3.html

Comment

Yeah that's a well known problem of Max Payne with Vista.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6154735/p-3.html

Max Payne is among the games that aren't working well with Vista. Sorry. For now you just have to wait until it either gets patched (don't count on it unfortunately) or continue using XP.

EDIT: Heh posted at the same time as Maddie. But yeah same deal

Comment

Max or Wake, man what a dilemma.

Comment

You can have both! Get
          1) Dual boot
          2) Two computers

I'll be getting two computers, most likely. The one I have now and I'll be getting a completely new one after military service.
          OMC NOB
          Ragdoll Matrix
          Crysis

Comment

Re: sound problems max payne & Vista

If you have a Creative X-Fi card then you can use the ALchemy program which translates EAX into OpenAL and that will fix the missing soundproblem. Might be other programs out there that can do the same thing if you have some other soundcard...

Comment

For those who don't have a creative sound card, i've made a fix for ya's go to the Max Payne 2 Vista Sound Fix thread and download the ZIP file there.

It works on my Vista machine with a crappy AC97 card so it should work well with others!!!! Enjoy

This is only for Max Payne 2 but it might work with Max Payne but as i don't have the game i don't know give a try and let me know.

Comment

!! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

!! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

Hello everyone.

I'm a big fan of the original Max Payne because of the mods, so in light of the movie coming out and the imminent release of “The Real World”, I decided to fire up the game in Vista 64bit. Needless to say, I was despondent when I found out that the sound was essentially nonexistent and that there was no official patch to fix it. But I googled around for a home brew fix and found this forum and the 3D Relms forum.

The sound fix that Darkje has created is excellent, it restores the “stock” game sounds and music quite nicely. However, it has the unfortunate flaw of not being able to play mods. Then I noticed Maddieman's post about fixing/repacking the game sounds, but I couldn't get it to work either. I kept getting the same annoying "Exception in startupInit: Directory data not found." message that tombenton had. Even when I got it to where it SHOULD work, I couldn't get both the “stock” sound AND the mods working at the same time. It was like tug of war or something. Then I started to analyze the problem.

Darkje's patch is a little sloppy in that it combines the files from all 6 *.ras files and then just leaves them there. When there is a /data directory there, the game thinks: “oh, there is a mod in that /data directory. It gets top priority.”. So no matter what mod you pick in the “Choose Customized Game” menu, it will load what is in the /data directory instead. That's the flaw, but it's also part of the solution.

With a little experimentation, I was able to improve on Darkje's fix and made a procedure that not only permanently fixes the game's “stock” sound, but allows you to easily load mpm / mod files as well. Mods can be loaded, played with working sound, and unloaded with relative ease.

I found out that 3 of the *.ras files only contain level information and thus do not need to be decompressed. So rather then dumping all 6 *.ras files into a single data folder, my patch extracts and converts only the x_data, x_english, and x_music *.ras files individually. Once each *.ras file is moved and decompressed in it's own separate directory, all sounds and music are converted. The patch then repacks all *.ras files one by one, which replace the originals. At this point the “stock” game runs perfectly, everything should be working just like with Darkje's script. But if you try loading a mod in the normal way,“Choose Customized Game”, nothing happens. Also like Darkje's script.

But unlike Darkje's script, my fix offers a workable solution for loading mod files. There is no /data folder now. Remember what I said earlier about the /data folder taking priority? Well, now that it's gone, *.mpm mod files can be extracted and converted in exactly the same way that Darkje's script converts *.ras files. There is one small drawback to this method. You can only load one mod at a time, literally. If you try to put more then one *.mpm / mod file in the MaxPayne folder, the script will combine all the decompressed files into the /data folder... and that's bad. However, you can easily switch mods by using a batch file that loads and unloads mpm / mod files. I have included the full patch and instructions below...

Download the Max_Payne_Vista_Toolkit.zip here:
                http://www.mypixelstory.com/maxpayne...ta_Toolkit.zip

Fixing the stock Sounds & Music: *Do This First!*

Install Max Payne to the c:\MaxPayne directory, no spaces. This step is very important, because the patch works out of c:\MaxPayne.

Unzip the “Max_Payne_Vista_Toolkit.zip” into the c:\MaxPayne directory. If for some reason you want to save the original ras files, backup x_data.ras, x_english.ras, and x_music.ras now. Those are the only files affected.

Run the sound_patch.bat file. You will see a lot of "Premature EOF" and "syntax" messages, just like Darkje's script, but everything is OK. When the patch is done, the batch file will ask you to remove 4 directories and then delete itself. Just answer (Y)es 4 times. You can stop at this step if you don't want to run any mods.

Loading mpm / mod files:

Copy or Move the mpm / mod file into the c:\MaxPayne directory. It is important that only one mpm / mod file is loaded at a time.

Run the sound_patch.bat file. You will see a lot of "Premature EOF" and "syntax" messages, just like before, but everything is OK. When finished, simply run the game and the mod will load automatically.

If you want to load a new mpm / mod file, simply run the sound_patch.bat file again to unload the old file. Move the old mpm / mod to a different directory and repeat from step 1. If you want to play "Original Mode", simply leave the mpm / mod file unloaded and the game will load normally.

If you did everything correctly, then Max Payne will have fully working sound and music, for both stock mode and game mods. I have tested this procedure several times on 64bit Vista and can say for sure that it works flawlessly. I have even tested several mods, including Katana and the Real World Demo, and they work flawlessly. The only mod I can't get to work is Kung Fu 3.0, it seems to hang before anything loads. However, most mods work just fine. Even the menu screen music in Katana plays perfect. If Vista has been the bane of your Max Payne existence, then you are going to love this fix.

Special thanks to Darkje and Maddieman for doing most of the ground work.

Enjoy.

Comment

Re: !! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

I tried this. I re-installed the game at least 3 times I followed the directions to the letter, and I couldn't get anything to work at all. suggestions please, I love this game and TRW is going to come out eventually, and I want to be able to play my mods.

Comment

I am a moron. sry. it did work. I left a space when I installed to C:\maxpayne. - shoots self in head - hazzaa to Crimson Behelit for an amazing patch. - bows down in complete humility -

Comment

I want to add one thing:
                      if you have localized version of MP, most likely you would have file x_<your language>.ras instead of x_english.ras (in my case - x_russian.ras). you've to rename it into x_english.ras in order patch to work. renaming back after applying is not nessesary.

Comment

Re: sound problems max payne &amp; Vista

Crimson Behelit;thanks for Max Payne 1 sound fix.But i need it for max payne2.Where can i find this solution.I have problem about Max Payne 2 character voice.Please help me.I try all link but i have no solution

Comment

plz does it work for windows 7 ?

Comment

I have tried this but it did not work. It was installed properly and all, but still there is no sound.
                            Also note I have Vista 32 bit . . .

Comment

also note ; I have Max payne installed under C:\program files\MaxPayne

Shall i reinstall under c:\ ?

Comment

Working...
                              X