What do you think of this idea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this idea?

Hi everyone! Taken here. So..I'm currently working on several videogame/writing projects. Please hear the idea out, because it is going to sound VERY generic and boring at first. Right now, I'm just calling it I Am Become Death (a quotation from the Bhagavad Gita.)

You want a picture of this game?

Imagine if Shadow of the Colossus and Call of Duty had a baby, and then it got raised by Half-Life 2.

The plot focuses on two soldiers fighting in a civil-war torn America in the year 2043, and the storyline revolves around how they are changed by the things they witness. I'm not gonna lie, it's one of the most depressing and cold stories I've ever written, but I'm actually proud with it. Can't reveal too much though.

Now, the gameplay focuses on delving out new cinematic and realistic experiences in the FPS genre. I'm sick of seeing Halo and Call of Duty clones everywhere. I want to make memorable gameplay moments backed up by a great story. I used Remedy's design philosophy when it comes to firefights; short, but exhilirating and cinematic encounters.

For a game about war, there are not a lot of firefights in I Am Become Death. This isn't a shooter for whiny eight-year old's or idiots who can't go two minutes in a game without shooting something. It's for people who want to see innovation, sharp story, new experiences, and atmosphere.

I hope I was clear enough in this post. This will definitely not be the first game I make, right now I have a lot more simplistic, minimalist games I am working with. But would you play this? Does it sound boring? Anything I should change?
    Last edited by Taken634; 04-16-2011, 12:31 AM.
    Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Re: What do you think of this idea?

This sounds pretty interesting, to be honest. I'm one of those gamers that would love to see developers try something different and unique like this; you know, break the mould for FPS's made these days.
    I rarely reply to topics.

Comment

Linkin Park fan? Haha!

On topic, might I ask what you are developing this project on? Source, Unreal Engine 3, Unity, or something else?

How much experience do you have in game development. Asides for writing, do you have any other abilites such as programming, 3D modelling, level design, or others?

Are you planning on developing this yourself or with a team?

What is the estimated scale of the game? Is it a 3-5 hour playthrough, or a full length 10 hour campaign?

The reason I'm asking these questions is because I find your concept very interesting, and could possibly assist you in getting it going gameplay wise, as I have experience in both UDK and Source building levels and maps. I also do audio work to.

PS: Love the name! "I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Comment

At this level it sounds generic and boring no matter how much you play it up. I always commend people for thinking of something other than the typical FPS, however "short, exhilarating, cinematic encounters" still sounds CoD-esque. 'Cinematic' is a helluva word in the industry at the moment, like 'immersion' was half a decade ago; it's a trend setter and, from the sounds of things, trend is what you want to break.

I just wanted to point out a contradiction. You say "delving out new cinematic and realistic experiences in the FPS genre." and then go on to list Half-Life and Singularity as inspiration. In my mind both those games couldn't feel any more detached from realism (and CoD would seem more grounded in reality to boot). If you could elaborate how they're inspiration for realism I might be put at ease.

This is simply my philosophy from watching the industry over the years, if you want a story and atmosphere heavy game you need to keep thoughts focused on the characters and their dialogue. It's who the player is going to be traveling with for the duration of game, and thus they need to be able to relate and feel pity/sorrow/happiness for them. The best kind of scenario for that to occur in is slow-burn, easing emotions with the control of the story rather than mashing it all into the player's face. Bad dialogue writing is a certified killer for people to lose interest in a character.

By all means have action heavy set pieces in there. Juxtaposition is important. Just don't make it the central focus.
        Encounter. I Will Kill.

Comment

Ninja

Thank you for your offer. Right now, I am studying different ways to make games, but I have not been able to wrap my head around 3-D design. Mostly because of the fact that some of it involves algebra, and I have a very heavy case of discalculia (a math/number disorder common in writers). I am working hard towards that goal, but currently, I am focusing on fleshing out the gameplay and story of I am Become Death.

However, know that this is definitely not the first game I will make. The game I am focusing on making right now is a 2-D side scroller named Susan. If you want, we could discuss that.

Am I working with a team? You could call it that. Many of my friends have offered design ideas on I Am Become Death and have pointed me in the direction of programs that could help me out. But is anybody helping me develop it? No.

Game length is a hard one. 9 hours, tops, is what I am going for. It's in it's development stages though, I have barely designed the first level. Who knows what'll happen?

So, sadly, I don't think there is much you can help me out with on I am Become Death currently. However, if you want, I can message you on the game I listed above, Susan. If you could help me out with that, that would be awesome.

LunaApocalypse

I definitely understand what you are saying. But let me first say, I haven't the faintest idea as to why I listed Half-Life and Singularity as my inspirations. No idea whatsoever. Sorry about that. I wrote this post during a heavy bout of insomnia so I was a bit unfocused. That, and the fact that I had played The Orange Box earlier. So..yeah.

For the record though, I will be using Half-Life's approach to gaining health.

My inspirations for the realism in the game are a mix of Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption and Call of Duty.

Now, I agree with you. "Cinematic" definitely is a helluva word right now in the industry. What I mean by "short, quick encounters", are gunfights that always have a unique factor in them or a outstanding A.I..

An example for this would be the mission Vendetta in Call of Duty: World at War. The mission starts out by giving the player a sniper-rifle, and then having you use your wit and skill to dodge the baddies. I love it, because it's challenging, memorable, and it's not just a mad "ARRGH PEW-PEW NAZI'S" level.

The way I am Become Death plays, is the missions get more and more intense. Heck, you don't even really shoot anybody until the second mission. But as the plot moves forward, the gunfights get heavier, and your allies become more and more battle-hardened. It's only until the mid-way point that you have your big, explosive gun battle. All of the important scenes are toned-down, subtle levels in which maybe a few enemies are killed (it's who the enemies are that is supposed to make it memorable though.)

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU. Dialogue is one of the most important things you can have in a game when it comes to story. I would have loved the story of Red Faction: Guerilla if the dialogue didn't sound like it had been written by dyslexic chimpanzees. But the story is told more in what the characters do then what they say.

For the record, I wrote this post in computer class, and when the teacher asked me what I was typing, I told him "homework."
          Last edited by Taken634; 04-14-2011, 09:56 PM.
          Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Comment

Maybe I don't get you... but you sound like you either want to make an FPS that somehow plays out like a cross between the Longest Journey and Shadow of the Colossus. Which would be interesting. OR you want to make CoD but change the level design and flow slightly. Which isn't that interesting.
            Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
              Maybe I don't get you... but you sound like you either want to make an FPS that somehow plays out like a cross between the Longest Journey and Shadow of the Colossus. Which would be interesting. OR you want to make CoD but change the level design and flow slightly. Which isn't that interesting.
              I want to make a game that is more based on fleshing out new experiences in the FPS and gaming genre. Shadow of the Colossus..I guess you could say that. The story is without a doubt one of the biggest aspects of the game, so yeah, you could make the comparison to SotC. That game had subtle, beautiful moments that sticks with the player, and that's what I want to create.

One thing I noticed about war-games nowadays (especially in the Call of Duty series), is that they are very overly patriotic. In the ending scene of Black Ops, when the jets fly and the American Flag is seen waving in the wind as the sun sets..it was such a terrible moment. The message of Black Ops could have been about how in war, those in power always betray the people they use for their own agenda. Instead, it was about HOW F***ING AWESOME AMERICA IS AND HOW EVIL RUSSIA AND VIETNAM ARE BLARGH BLARGH BLARGH.

That's not what I want for I am Become Death. I want to make a world and story in which the player carries out actions that really force him/her to think. I want to make a message that is not for war or against war, it is supposed to tell a story about courage and friendship. I am Become Death doesn't take sides on anything, and never paints any country as perfect or war as awesome. To quote the character of Niko Bellic of Grand Theft Auto IV..

"War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other."

But, I am using a Call of Duty interface. The control scheme is also supposed to be similar. However, it is how levels play out that set it apart from CoD. And also, no pointless multiplayer section. Thank you Remedy for teaching me that!

Comment

Alright. Guess the thread is over then.

Comment

Working...
                X