Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remedy is moving!

More glass coming right up When It's Done! n_n

Actually our office remains an independent building, although it's right next to a business park. And what comes to blandess, nearly every building around here is white or light grey, which makes finding them in the midst of a snowstorm a fun challenge.

Comment

Would you be so kind as to do one of the famous video tours which some companies do of their offices? Rather than pictures, why not have pictures and a video tour?

Comment

HOLD THE PHONE.

Am I the only one who has noticed this poster where Alan is wearing new clothes?

SUSPICIOUS!

Comment

What you spotted was a 2005 E3 poster, it also has the Alan WAKE text with the wrong typeface. Or then it's all a big cover up

Comment

Originally posted by Kranitoko View Post
            Would you be so kind as to do one of the famous video tours which some companies do of their offices? Rather than pictures, why not have pictures and a video tour?
            Oh there's video coming, loads of it. Maybe even some time-lapses.

Comment

Wonderful!

But what about the brewery?
              Will the new building still have it?
              KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

Okay, here we go, part two -- after the move.

The Digital team has already been in the building for a few weeks, but the bulk of us moved in today. I am glad to report that my computer was already hooked up and connected to our network, ready for use, so I could hit the ground running. Tremendous job!

As I already said, it was getting really crowded for us in our old place. We knew in advance that would be the case, of course, but finding a suitable replacement for our old office was easier said than done. We had people work very hard on that -- primarily [MENTION=257]MarkusRMD[/MENTION] and Saku Lehtinen, our franchise art director, whose background in architecture was particularly useful when it came to designing our interiors. (If you see something cool, chances are that it's Saku's idea.)

When choosing our new offices, not just any place would do. It had to be big enough, obviously, but we also didn't want to share the space with another company if we could avoid it -- if we had the entire building, then we could do what we wanted and and didn't have to worry about bothering anyone else. (It also made things easier in terms of confidentiality and all that -- as you can imagine, we don't want just anybody walking in, and if there's traffic to another company on the same premises, well, it can get a little more complicated.) We also didn't want our new location to be inconvenient for us our our visitors. Our old office building was in Espoo, about a 15-minute trip from the center of Helsinki.

As it happens, the new building is just a couple of kilometers down the road from our old one, and it's actually a little closer to Helsinki. It used to be the offices of Weilin+Göös, a book publisher that was founded in 1872 and, sadly, closed its doors in 2011. That meant the building was empty. Unfortunately, it wasn't in great shape, and the internal layout just wasn't very suitable for our needs -- lots of corridors with rows of small offices side by side. It's not an ideal development for game development -- for creative teamwork to go smoothly, the space needs to be a little more open, and it has to allow for spontaneous meetings between different teams. (Saku could write a long treatment on this, but I think I'll let the pictures do the talking.) In any case, the building underwent extensive renovations -- we knew this'd be the one months ago, but many of the interiors were torn down and rebuilt to our specifications, the air conditioning was replaced entirely, etc., and all of that took quite a bit of time.

The pictures below are, of course, from a somewhat chaotic environment. While most of the renovations are over and done with, they're still wrapping up some things. Throw in a the infinite boxes I mentioned before and the fact that everybody's trying to get settled in, and I bet the way it looked today and the way it'll look a week from now will be very different.

As before, these are just quick pictures I snapped with my iPhone; we'll have cooler pictures taken with a far better camera by somebody who's actually a very good photographer on our blog sometime soon, when everything is actually properly tidied up. This is just to give you guys some idea of what kind of a place we moved into.

So, first of all, a view from our lobby:

As you can see, there are construction workers still going around.

Here's the lobby from another angle:

That wooden thing on the left may not be very obvious because of the protective cardboard on the floor, but it forms a soft curve that makes the lobby seem a lot more organic, and it's very cool. That's definitely a Saku touch!

Here's a view down into the lobby from the second floor landing:

And finally, here's a view up through the skylight, mostly covered in snow:

I don't know about you, but my first thought was "Bioshock" -- it does kind of invoke that Rapture feeling.

While I was taking these lobby pictures, I was also talking to Lauri, our community manager. Naturally, I had to take his picture as well.

I was trying to get a good shot of the bigger workstation areas, but it's actually kind of hard to get a comprehensive view of them with a cell phone camera -- many of the areas are a little too big for that, and everything was still a bit of a mess, so they just aren't that nice to look at. Still, just so that you get some idea of what they're like:

Typically, people working in a shared area like this are all part of the same team, or working very closely with other teams. We have several of these larger spaces in addition to a little smaller offices that have three or four people in them, as well as a few single-person offices. It all depends on what works best for the people and teams in question.

As I was trying to get a shot of another one of these larger areas, Richard Lapington, our audio lead, suddenly photobombed my shot:

It's cool, I'll just post it on the internet.

[SIZE="1"](I asked Richard first, because I'm cool that way.)[/SIZE]

Moving on, here's our new staff kitchen area. Again, work in progress, but as you can see, there's quite a bit of room here for people -- certainly more than we had in our old office! (Much more comfortable chairs, too.)

I didn't include a picture of the actual kitchen part, because, well, we're still missing the countertops that will arrive later this week. Did I mention that things are still kind of settling for us? Because they are. =)

I mentioned the social aspect above, and that was a very important thing for us. There are lots of spaces where people can sit down and have impromptu meetings -- something that was really missing from our old office. You don't really want to get into an animated discussion at your workstation, because then you'll be distracting the others working nearby, but on the other hand, you don't really want to book a meeting room just because you want to have a 10-minute discussion. Hence, we now have a lot of areas like this:

This was something that Saku felt strongly about, and it really makes the office feel a lot nicer and less stuffy -- it also means that just hanging out with your co-workers is a lot easier, because everyone isn't constantly just on their own workstation. That means information and ideas can flow a lot better. Based on my experiences today, that makes a big difference. Saku put a lot of thought into this whole thing, and it shows.

Here's another, smaller area like that -- good for having that phone conversation without having to annoy everybody else in earshot. That is a big deal when you have a dozen other people working in the same place!

I also ran across some very, very old stuff. First up is an original Xbox I found sitting on top of a cardboard box. I very much doubt this thing has been plugged in anywhere since, I don't know, 2005 or so, but here it is, most likely in good working order.

But this was a far more fun thing to find:

That's video footage of the original Max Payne, on a VHS tape, from 1998. If you're confused why anyone would do this, let me explain: back in those days, the idea of transferring big video files over the internet was not quite as straightforward as today. A VHS tape was pretty much guaranteed to work. I suspect that this was also a way to show the game to parties who may not have been... quite as on the ball, technologically speaking, as your average game company, and there was no guarantee they could actually get a video file to work. We've come a long way since those days -- these days sending video files over the internet, or carrying them on a USB memory stick, is a complete non-issue. (I bet a lot of people reading this can't quite relate to this simply because they've never had to deal with this kind of technological limitations, and yes, that does make me feel old -- but it's also very cool!)

And no, we won't be releasing that material, so please don't ask -- this is just a fun historical artifact that tells you a lot about the state of the games industry before the millennium changed.

Finally, two more images.

First up, our visitor area -- if we have a guest, this is where they can wait for their host to pick them up. You want to pay special attention to the glass wall in the background: that's a silhouette of Wake, and on the left side, that's Max and Mona. Sam Lake already tweeted about these, but it's worth repeating!

It's not the easiest thing to capture with a quick shot on a cell phone camera, so here's a better view of another one we have on one of our meeting room walls:

Very, very cool.

Based on my first day at the new Remedy offices, it's a fantastic improvement over the old building. That one did a lot of things well, but we do just about everything better here. We're not quite finished moving, and there's still a little bit of ongoing renovation work, but it's already obvious that this is going to be a really damn cool place to work. Everybody I talked to was extremely pleased with the place, and based on my personal experiences, I can say that Saku's design is definitely working.

I really feel that Markus and Saku have done a fantastic job with the place, and I can't commend them enough. It feels like us, it makes working together easier and more fun, and, frankly, it's a lot more impressive to look at than the old place. I think we're gonna like it here a lot.

Oh, and I promised to answer questions, so here we go:

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
                Does your new office have a sauna room like your old one?
                Of course! This is Finland; I don't think you can find a building this size that doesn't have one. I'm not exaggerating.

I don't have pictures, unfortunately, as that area is currently being used to store everything the renovators need for their work, and I just didn't feel like barging in there today. Maybe later. Same thing with our basement areas.

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
                Is the tree coming too?
                skdfsdf alsdf yljsdfddlsdfalksd lkj ,kjwoej fd sd 4k

Probably, the bastard that he is.

Originally posted by FallenAfar View Post
                I'm curious to know where you will be based now as I am moving to Riihimaki
                Originally posted by Juzdabuzda View Post
                Not sure if I missed it, but where are you moving to? Still located in Espoo or Helsinki?
                To reiterate, we're still in Espoo, not at all far from Helsinki (or from our old offices).

Originally posted by FallenAfar View Post
                Also while I have your attention is there an email address I can contact about possible work experience/voluntary work programming for Remedy?
                Your best bet would be to use the form here and submit an open application. We do have some trainees/interns, and while I wouldn't want to guess about our open positions in four months' time, we would love to get your application. No promises, obviously, but we are always on the lookout for people who'd be a good fit for us!

Originally posted by Morry View Post
                Will the Remedy Home Brew club be getting a dedicated room?
                Originally posted by AnttiApina View Post
                But what about the brewery?
                Will the new building still have it?
                I believe there's a spot reserved in the basement for it. =)

Originally posted by jkler View Post
                Is the new office at one of them bland/ugly/characterless business parks Espoo is full of?
                Well, not really -- we have the entire building to ourselves, and the design is a little bit more interesting than just a gray box or something... but I won't lie, this is an office building, not some kind of a unique architectural wonder. We didn't build this from scratch or anything.

...at least not on the outside. The inside? Much cooler. =)

That's always a little trickier to do, because with a still image, you can control what you show -- with video, there may be all sorts of stuff visible that we don't want people to see that would be hard to edit out. But apparently Lauri has plans for that, so stay tuned! =)

Am I the only one who has noticed this poster where Alan is wearing new clothes?
                As Markus said, that's a very, very old poster, and this is not the first time someone has remarked on it -- it's showed up on plenty of Remedy pictures before. I believe that Wake costume concept -- he's wearing a denim coat -- is older even than the ancient brown coat/scarf combo... so not really "new" clothes. Quite the contrary! =)

That's it. Hope you enjoyed this look into our new offices. As I said, we'll have much better pictures on our blog sometime soon, and then you can see how this place looks when it's not flooded with errant construction materials and red boxes!
                Last edited by MikkiRMD; 12-18-2012, 12:36 AM.
                Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Thanks for sharing these Mikki.

Id love to come to the offices to meet you one day

I think the new place looks great and alot better then the old place

Great work
                  Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Epic post, Mikki! It makes me want to visit the team again!
                    Remedy's currently known projects:
                    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Sorry for looking extremely drunk in that picture. I wasn't. Or was I...

Mikki also took a picture of our very first Monday meeting at the new office. I'll post it to the blog today.

Comment

That smug look on your face does look suspicious...

I love those glass designs!

Any chance of an external building shot?
                        Remedy's currently known projects:
                        Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

And the rent just keeps getting up!

Nice pictures, thank you!
                          We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
                            Well, not really -- we have the entire building to ourselves, and the design is a little bit more interesting than just a gray box or something... but I won't lie, this is an office building, not some kind of a unique architectural wonder. We didn't build this from scratch or anything.

...at least not on the outside. The inside? Much cooler. =)
                            Too bad. Only asked cuz the street front of your previous premises was really nice.
                            End of the internets

Comment

The new building looks gorgeous and awesome and immensely geeky! Thanks for the photo tour, Mikki

Originally posted by Lauri View Post
                              Sorry for looking extremely drunk in that picture. I wasn't. Or was I...
                              Ummm *strokes chin* I'd say you looked happy...smug even. Did you volunteer to help pack and move the brewery?
                              The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

The staircase and the windows give you an impression that Remedy offices are located in some sort of a highrise building.
                                KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

Working...
                                X