Minecraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minecraft

Haha, sounds like fun, Mikki. Yeah, I had a stroll through the old map before I transferred to the new one. Even got to bring an entire inventory of stuff over, so I brought with me my 10K saved up iron and my around 1K saved up diamonds. And some gold, of course. Now I'm ready to begin new adventures!

SMP 1.8 is still a bit buggy, but it seems like they are rolling out fixes on the fly. Especially Bukkit, if you're using that. If not, could be worth looking into. Bukkit has some very nice features, especially for security and bug fixes.
    "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

...OH S**T SORRY FOR COMPLETELY IGNORING THE WORD ON THE SERVER. I do that, sometimes I totally forget I'm in the middle of a conversation online.

Even worse news, the idea I suggested seems unlikely. I cannot do port forwarding on my router and so I can't host the server. Unless anybody else wants to?

Also what does everyone think of the 1.9 pre-release? I'm holding off until the official release so the new additions are more fresh and more of a surprise.
      In a horror story, the victim keeps asking "Why?", but there cannot be any explanation.The unanswered mystery is the one that stays with us the longest, and it's what we'll remember in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ADM View Post
        Can't believe there's not a thread about this game!

So who's playing?

I'm slowly getting suckered in. My time is spent, ever so gently, building up a fortress. Conquering the world, one block at a time.

More info here:
        http://minecraft.net/
        Do you have your own public or private server? I think it would be awesome if someone created and hosted a community server for everyone to play.
        Alan Wake fanboy.

Comment

I don't think there's any community servers, but I am a staff member over at CF|UK - so I guess I can invite you guys there.
          "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Originally posted by Kahr View Post
            I don't think there's any community servers, but I am a staff member over at CF|UK - so I guess I can invite you guys there.
            Awesome, I'll check it out. I think someone should create a server dedicated to members on the Alan Wake forums. I could set up one and host it too, but I think most people would have pretty bad connection to me because I am from Australia and all.
            Alan Wake fanboy.

Comment

Well, it's been a while since we talked about Minecraft, and with another huge update around the corner, I thought I'd talk about some of the highlights thus far:

Potions. How good are they? Well, it depends entirely on your playstyle. One essentially good thing about them, now that food is essential, is actually healing potions. Instead of eating food to keep your starvation meter in check which against slowly fills up your health bar... the health potions instantly heals your health. This can be quite handy if you're in a tight spot and there's no time to wait for your hearts to go back up. These lovlies are life savers!
              Speed potions are lots of fun, especially the Speed II potion. Exploration has never been faster!
              Fire resistance potions are also a lot of fun. And comes in handy when there's pools of lava to be... overcome. Especially in the Nether, where you have to go anyways if you want to start brewing potions.

Enchantments. At first I was a bit baffled by this (potions as well, actually), because it didn't seem to fit with the previous Minecraft feel. I mean, potions and enchantments? What is this, World of Minecraft? Actually, yes, it is. My point is, it seemed to be trying to take on more and more RPG elements, which I didn't see the point of. I wanted Minecraft to remain what it was - just a big ass sandbox game that you made what you wanted out of. But, now that I've had a lot of time with this, I am slowly starting to love it a little bit more each passing day. Basically, you use XP levels (which you get from killing mobs) to enchant items (armor, weapons and tools) - the higher the XP level, the higher the chance of getting good enchantments. For instance, getting Fortune III on a diamond pick will really increase your income - when you start mining those diamonds, you'll get 1 to 3 more diamonds - per diamond ore block! How awesome is that! There are loads of good enchantments, and if you want to see them all, head over to the Minecraft Wiki.
              One thing that bugs me though is how the enchantment system works. First of all, reading the enchantments can be quite a hassle. But that's not the worst problem... The worst thing is that for some weird reason, a level 40 enchantment can be TONS better than a 49 or a 50 (which is the highest). That's just silly... And I've had to learn this the hard way (by continuously experimenting).

These two improvements to the game seems to be pretty much all consuming, these days. Especially on the server I'm on (because no, I don't play SSP - that's just boring). People are always trying to find ways to XP grind efficiently, so that they can enchant their items in order to do two things: more XP grinding and increased diamond return.

Funny thing is, we've found ways to make XP grinding ridiculously fast. A while back (about the time pretty much right after the map changed and we got the 1.8 beta), our lovely Admin gave us the ability to mine spawners (yes, actually pick up spawners), and choose what they spawn. Some of our more experimental mob lovers found effective ways to have several spawners put together in certain ways, elevated to 22 blocks (because 23 kills them) and drop them down to a tight area, where you could stand and throw a splash potion of harm - You would just have to stand there and receive shitloads of XP from each load. And being a fun bunch as we are, we decided that the best mob to do this with would be the Creepers - because now we have so much gunpowder we don't know how to spend it all (due to this, sand has become infinitely more valuable than gunpowder (because sand and gunpowder makes TNT)).

Other than that, redstone hasn't changed much. Pistons did a whole world of change to redstone systems, but after the introduction of pistons there hasn't really been anything new on that front. Two upcoming updates are interesting though: you can one more put redstone on glowstone (which has some weird properties I'm not getting into right now), and we can now have proper redstone controlled light. Light switches! Without having to use noisy piston-based systems!

Minecraft is as much fun as it has always been, and there's always new things to discover. Especially with a game that is still being updated and enhanced.

I may do a little screenshot series to show my progress though a lot of stuff on our server, and maybe a review of the new things to come in the next update (which are quite a few...).

Comment

• Minecraft!!

Any big players here? I've got a GREAT server run by a group called SilentNoobs.
                Check em out!

My username on there is the same as on here: SnowboarderX
                Last edited by SnowboarderX; 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM.
                It's not a lake.... It's an ocean.

Comment

Merged the new Minecraft topic with the old one.
                  Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

When Minecraft will be released on Xbox 360?
                    Chelsea Football Club - CFC' GO BLUES!

Comment

may 9th i believe

Comment

Anyone here got Minecraft for xbox yet? Its really good fun, having never played the pc version it doesnt bother me that its kind of stripped down but I can see that being dissapointing for a pc player. Updates are promised though

Comment

When I first saw Minecraft... I hated it. Thought it was dumb. Then I started playing it. My attitude? "Eh, it's ok."

Now we turn to today... where I'm working on constructing a replica of the Tower of Hera from Zelda a Link to the Past. I may start work on the other dungeons as well. Haven't decided yet, but it's crazy addicting. Maybe a little too much X_X
                          You know what the difference is between you and me? I'm not afraid to be the center of attention!

Comment

im gonna have a look ar minecraft later, see whats it all about
                            check-out my youtube :)
                            http://www.youtube.com/MissShortieB

Comment

MINECRAFT my house
                              check-out my youtube :)
                              http://www.youtube.com/MissShortieB

Comment

Working...
                              X