AMD Phenom Quad-core 2.60ghz
5gbs RAM

Several sites claim I can run Alan Wake above the Recommended
System mark, and yet after I load the game and get into Chapter
1 - Nightmare, the game crashes my entire system to a black screen
that can't be alt-tabbed or windows buttoned out of. There is
also extremely glitchy audio that repeats endlessly when this
happens.

I've updated all drivers (AMD Catalyst 12.1), validated the game files through Steam, ran the game in WIN XP SP3 compatibility mode, ran the game with
the lowest settings, disabled v-sync, restarted my computer, deleted
all of my temp files, ran the game as administrator, and still the
problem persists.

I'm a huge fan of the game, beat it on 360, I just wanted to relive
some magic on my PC and I can't even actually start playing the game.
Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong/what I need to do?

Thank you.
acsummerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Morry

Volunteer Moderator
Re: Game Crashes Entire System - Ch. 1 Start

Have you tried running it in Windowed mode?

Remedy's currently known projects:
Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
acsummerfield

Actually, not yet.

Let me go ahead and try that now.

Edit:

Just tried it. Same issue.

"I was in shock from the crash, I could hardly stay on my feet" - entire PC crashes to black screen. My only option is a hard reset. Ugh, having to power down my PC manually after trying each "solution" is really starting to become tiresome. I'm so confused as to what could be causing this.
Last edited by acsummerfield; 02-19-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
acsummerfield

What's even stranger is that I've only encountered one other 4870 owner that is having the issue (on the Steam forum). Is it just the card that I'm using or is it something else? I don't have any sort of Crossfire settings turned on or anything... Is my best bet to just wait for a patch?

Edit:

Now the game seems to not only be crashing my system, but the last time I tried to run the game and the cutscene prior to Chapter 1 ended my screen didn't just go black, the monitor claimed it stopped getting signal from my video card. Is Alan Wake shutting my video card off?

Edit 2:

Rolling back the driver did nothing whatsoever. I'm now going to attempt to uninstall the driver, run Driver Sweep, and then reinstall it just to say that I tried everything, even though part of me thinks this definitely won't change a thing. Time to wait for a patch I suppose.
Last edited by acsummerfield; 02-19-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
acsummerfield

Finally attempt to make the game playable before a patch: Failed.

Removing my video driver completely, using Driver Sweeper, and reinstalling my AMD driver & catalyst ended on a poor note. Same issue.

Time to sit and wait for a patch I suppose.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Nyktopouli

Same problem here.

Win7 64-bit
ATI Radeon 4890
E8400
4gb ram

(obviously Latest driver)

When try to load game (native resolution 1680x1050) , loading process stops and an error message appears "AW supports only higher resolution that 1024...).

Deleted the resolution.xml and pc shuts down and i have to switch off the PSU!!!!!

Tried to run the program in a window with lower resolution, but when the very first graphics of the introduction appear, pc again shuts down..

Any recommendations????
Nyktopouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
MarkusRMD

Remedy

@Nyktopouli, @acsummerfield, we are working on finding a solution - typically a game on Win7 can't cause a system to become unresponsive or crash the entire system (on XP that was still fully possible) so these are likely driver issues (in this case we could possibly find a workaround in the game), failing components or a configuration problem.

Without the system on hand or exact error message the system gives it's really hard to debug these. We've run on AMD and 48x0 cards.. they should work fine. Usually the blue screens or error messages give clues to what component is having problems - memory and graphics card are suspects. PSU could be one too - the system starts to draw a lot of power at that point.

Does the game work if you start e.g. one of the DLC episodes (or use -developermenu command line option to open up all episodes and start from "Welcome to Bright Falls")
MarkusRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Daemus

This is sort a stab in the dark, but here goes: are you guys using Motioninjoy to emulate a 360 controller with a DualShock3/SixAxis?

The first time I started Alan Wake (I just wanted to make sure the installation went through alright), I had no problems. Set the configuration and turned the game off. When I was ready to start the game proper the next night, using the DS3, the first title screen had a chance to flash, and then my computer shut down. Shut down so bad, it didn't even restart after a quick power cycle. I had to shut it off, wait for a few seconds and then restart it before it complied.

This happened every single time I tried to start the game. I reinstalled the game and unplugged the DS3 (-> KBM only). Now it starts just fine.

If this isn't a Motioninjoy issue specifically, it might be some other USB-device conflict. Let me know so we can get to the bottom of this.
Daemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Nyktopouli

@Daemus: not using Motioninjoy or anything like that. In fact, i even unplugged the headphones (usb connection). Also tried the -nosound (or what) command line. Same result.

Just have connected mouse and keyboard through KVM switch.

@Markus: yep, i thought that it could be the psu. But the pc runs battlefield 3 for hours without any issues.

Put the -developermenu in the command line (this is what you ment?), no change. Also, don't know how to try DLC episodes..... where do i get them....?

in the steam program, in DLC link says "here is no downloadable content available for this game."

Not sure if it helps, but here is the error message i get when i just try to run the program, without changing anything.

The native resolution at that time is 1680x1050...
Last edited by Nyktopouli; 02-19-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
MarkusRMD

Remedy

@acsummerfield have you checked your GPU temps? If it works for a while and then freezes it may be overheating.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
acsummerfield

My temps are just fine, staying in the normal range.

I wish I could check an error message or see what is going on with the processes, but like I stated earlier: the game crashes my entire system to a black screen that I cannot alt-tab or windows key out of, even if in Windowed mode.

I'll try running it in developer's mode and hopping straight into the Welcome to Bright Falls chapter, or I'll try running The Writer or The Signal and see what happens.

And in response to the MotionJoy comment, I do actually have MotionJoy installed on my system, but I'm not using it for Alan Wake, nor do I have any controllers plugged in. Either way, though, that seems very curious. I'll try removing MotionJoy and see if that helps at all.

Again, the game runs the pre-rendered cut-scenes, but within seconds of the playable part of Chapter 1 kicking in the game crashes to a solid black screen and the audio starts to loop (4 measure, 2 measure, 1, 1/2, 1/4) on and on until it's just a loud shrill sound.

I'll try those two possible solutions and post back soon. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
acsummerfield

I had my hopes up and then they were shattered.

I uninstalled MotionJoy and ran the Alan Wake with the -window and -developermenu settings. I unlocked all of the episodes and then ran Episode 1: Nightmare Pt. 2: Welcome to Bright Falls. As soon as it loaded, the small load wheel in the left hand corner actually finished (which had never happened before) and I was actually able to move the game camera around for the first time since I purchased the game. I cracked a large smile, and then the game crashed to the same black screen with recurring audio as always.

Help me.

Update:

If it helps any, I'm running the game at 1360x768.

Here's a video of the problem in action: http://youtu.be/sHck2GxglWU
Last edited by acsummerfield; 02-19-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
TannosukeGR

@acsummerfield, I had the same problem with another game a few years ago. Try another game, and if you see that even this game shuts down the PC, then it's the graphic card's problem being overheated.

Also, be sure to disable every program eating the CPU.

The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !
TannosukeGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
acsummerfield

I have been playing other games. I had the issue that you're describing on a laptop once, because one of the fans had blown and it was getting too hot, but this chassis that my rig is in has four big custom fans and a cooling system.

When I run Alan Wake it's the only program that I have going besides the background Windows tasks.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
acsummerfield

FINALLY GOT ALAN WAKE WORKING!!!

Someone on the Steam forums suggested that I run the game while Steam was in Offline Mode and it actually worked! I was able to play through from the very beginning until Welcome to Bright Falls (not because it crashed, but because I've got work to do, so I can't stay up all night playing).

Is there anyway that Steam may be the issue here?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
MooD
Re: Game Stopper in "EP1 - A Writers Dream" after Ropebridge

Hey Guys!
I have bought Alan Wake via steam last night, and i have a big problem.
Randomly the game crash my pc, black screen and i cant do anything. I have updated my video card on 12.1. I have CPUID-Monitor, and i saw the temperature but it's "only" 67-72 when i play Alan Wake. Should i try on windowed mode with lower resolution?

My system is:
Core 2 Duo E5200 2.50 GHz
Ati HD 4670 512 MB supported with 12.1 driver
4GB RAM
And i attached my DxDiag too.

Please help me.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (23.4 KB, 168 views)
Last edited by MarkusRMD; 02-20-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Moved to a correct thread.
MooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
MarkusRMD

Remedy

@acsummerfield happy to hear that it works for you. I would still love to understand what caused the problem and why would Steam Offline Mode make a difference... as I have no idea. So we'll continue investigating.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
acsummerfield

If you get the problem figured out I'd also love to know the cause. For the time being, I'll simply switch Steam to Offline Mode before I play.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
Nyktopouli

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsummerfield View Post
FINALLY GOT ALAN WAKE WORKING!!!

Someone on the Steam forums suggested that I run the game while Steam was in Offline Mode and it actually worked!

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Tried also in lower resolution, no result.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
acsummerfield

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I'm going to attempt to get a bit further in the game from where I stopped last night, so if the issue persists, even with Steam in Offline Mode, I'll be able to attest to it.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
mbangali

Well I am suggesting that you should try to launch the game as administrator of the computer. To do that you should right click on the exe file and select Run as administrator.
mbangali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
Nyktopouli

Well, finally had some success!

Put the -verbose command, then -window , deleted the resolution.xml ( and steam is in offline mode, not sure if has anything to do) and the game is running.

On the other hand, when i run the game, the monitor (!!!!) starts making a whining noise which stops only when i am moving around the window of the running game.. in fact, the noise is changing according to the graphics, especially in the menu!!

I think i should call a priest for the pc...

Anyway, you Remedy guys hurry up and give us a patch....
Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
Daemus

So here's an interesting thing. I mentioned I had a problem where the entire system shuts down if my DS3 is hooked up to my computer when I start Alan Wake. I thought, fine, it's some conflict with Motioninjoy since it's not a certified driver or whatever.

But I got an official 360 controller today (wired, hooked up with USB) and the same thing happens. The first second of the Remedy logo has time to flash and the system shuts down. Here's the thing, though: if I unplug the controller when I start the game, and plug it in again once the main menu shows up, everything's fine. Something happens in those first few seconds that conflicts with the USB controller somehow. I don't know if it's the 360 driver or the USB interface, but something wonky is going on.

It's not an overheating issue, either, because this is the only game that does it, and it only does it right at the start if at all. So I guess this is another heads up for anyone who is having a similar problem: try unplugging any controller you might have before you start the game, and only plug it in later.

Oh, and if Remedy wants to debug this hands-on, I suppose I could stuff my PC in a backpack and take a bus over to your offices
Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
MarkusRMD

Remedy

Daemus, I don't think our game can tell your pc to shut down - we certainly don't have any code to that effect. This MUST be some kind of configuration issue.

Debugging could reveal something, but unless this problem is more common I'm not sure if it makes sense.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
Daemus

Oh I'm not implying that. I was just trying to pinpoint the time when this conflict happens, because I can't find anything in the logs I've looked at. It could be a very innocent call from your part that is somehow not jiving with the 360 controller driver/USB interface. Debugging is frustrating because I have to restart my computer every time I try something, so I haven't had the time to do any extensive tests. All I know is that if my 360 controller (or DS3 running a 360 controller emulator) is hooked up when the game starts, the computer shuts down.

In any case, I'm not too concerned. As long as I remember to start the game with the controller unplugged things run just fine. I'm not really asking you to bend over backwards trying to debug my specific issue. It's just something I wanted to point out in case you notice any bigger trends.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #26
MarkusRMD

Remedy

@Daemus yeah, understood and appreciated!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #27
infib

Did anyone ever find a sollution to this? I've had this same problem with Skyrim when it was new, the only difference is that I could play a few minutes of Skyrim before my computer crashed. With Alan Wake tit just hard crashes when I get through the first cutscene.
infib is offline   Reply With Quote