Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake > Alan Wake Help & Issues

Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Jarkko
Cutscenes quality

So, the cutscenes are after all exactly the same as in XBOX360 version, which is disappointment.

I saw Markus posted this in steam forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusRMD
Yeah, unfortunately we didn't author these cines in 1080p so we could recompress them. And it's not like we saved space/bandwidth either.
Can't you recompile them in higher quality and resolution in any way? Do you still have all the motion capture data and all the pieces to put the videos together? How much work would it be to make the videos again in higher quality and fix few things here and there, some flickerings and textures etc.? (no lip syncing, that would require redo the facial capturing)

This is just one of those things that, when you go back to this game after few years when everybody is playing 1600p, people is just, "oh that looks horrible, what they were thinking".
Jarkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
MikkiRMD

Remedy
Re: Cutscenes quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko View Post
How much work would it be to make the videos again in higher quality and fix few things here and there
A ton of work. Sorry, but this isn't happening.

Quote:
This is just one of those things that, when you go back to this game after few years when everybody is playing 1600p, people is just, "oh that looks horrible, what they were thinking".
Yes, well, that often happens when games age. I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that if the cinematics were in 1080p, that wouldn't happen. =)

Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD
MikkiRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Jarkko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiRMD View Post
Yes, well, that often happens when games age. I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that if the cinematics were in 1080p, that wouldn't happen. =)
Thats why real-time cutscenes would be better, even if they are not graphically just as impressed.

Cutscenes are very important part of this game and they are like a bits of movie. It's just sad that they are what they are. Would you release a movie just in blocky 720p video?

But still:
Quote:
Do you still have all the motion capture data and all the pieces to put the videos together?
Would it be theoretically possible? Maybe you will come to your senses some day and release higher quality videos in the future.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
MikkiRMD

Remedy

All I can say is that we're not planning to do anything like that now.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Jarkko

Okay. Does Markus have anything to say about this?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
jkler

Quote:
Stop rolling your eyes like an idiot. They've made it clear theyr not going to do it, and I dont think theres any reason to believe they haven't made taht decision on good grounds.
jkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Quote:
Well, I have no doubt that he'll have a completely different answer that essentially states that the smartest, most financially viable and realistic way for us to do things, which also takes into account all of our other commitments and the resources at our disposal, is exactly the way you'd like things to be. In the meantime, however, I think you'll have to settle for this.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Jarkko

I was thinking he would tell some technical aspects.

But yeah yeah, of course I know its not likely to happen and the reason them being like this. You probably didn't think about possible PC version when you made them and just think how can we fit them all to DVD. You should of just think a little ahead and render the videos even something like 2160p for future use as you will never know. I just can't believe all the effort was done to the blocky 720p videos.