Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > General > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
AhmadMetallic

Would you like Remedy to launch a kickstarter project?

After Double Fine's enormous success in generating over one million dollars from the loyal fans to create a point-and-click adventure game, I started thinking of game studios that I'd like to directly give money so they can create a game all their fans want and have been waiting for for years.

The first name that popped in my head was Remedy. Alan Wake is by all means a tremendous achievement, nothing short of a masterpiece to some of their fans, and their relationship with Microsoft seems very healthy and swell, I'm not saying it isn't.
But if there's one IP that I'd love to donate to and help the developers build, without the complications of Publisher approval and all that other buzz, it would be a Max Payne game.

Just imagine this: Remedy remains an X360/PC developer under the Microsoft banner, making big titles with big budgets, but they also launch a kickstarter project, promise a Max Payne game (or spin-off, since MP3 is now a Rockstar IP), and if they reach the needed budget from fan donations, they use that money to create the game.

If the creators of primitive 90s p&c games could generate 1.6 million, I'm pretty sure the masterminds behind the gaming phenomenal Max Payne franchise will get millions of fans from around the world uniting and chipping in to see the guys at Remedy give us one last Payne swan song for closure.

I'd donate a good sum of money to make that dream come true, would you?
AhmadMetallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
MikkiRMD

Remedy
Re: Would you like Remedy to launch a kickstarter project?

As you yourself say, we don't own the Max Payne IP. Judging by your post, you may not quite understand what that means, so let me be clear: we couldn't possibly do anything Max Payne -related (including "spinoffs"). That would be illegal... and amazingly unethical, too.

Also, I feel I should point out that while I very much appreciate your enthusiasm, I think you are making a lot of assumptions about our willingness to commit to a project somebody else has dreamed up.

Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD
MikkiRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
AhmadMetallic

I'm just sharing what I as a Remedy/Max Payne fan would personally love to have as a reality that I can contribute to and wondering whether fellow fans of the franchise would support such an idea.
Whether or not you're willing to start such a project is absolutely something that only you know and can decide on, of course.

Just to clarify, the game I have in mind wouldn't say 'max payne' on the box or have any of its characters, it would be sort of a spiritual successor that has your writing, your level design and your touch, vaguely written in a way that only a Max fan can understand and appreciate.
A nameless man running in the shadows and letting us into his mind to listen to his inner monologue while unfortunate dramatic events unfold, all set in a bleak atmosphere with a hint of shooting and actiony explosions..

I'm sorry if I came off as assumptive or rude, I'm only dying to see you revisit that universe and story because no one else can do it like you can.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
thebestbit

They have that its called Alan Wake
thebestbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

I get your point, but doing anything with the Max Payne franchise could only be done with Rockstar's approval. And I doubt a publicly-listed company will allow that freedom on a new project. For Remedy to go ahead with a "spiritual successor" would come across as sneaky, and I know that Remedy just isn't the kind of company that would do that.

Kickstarter has been quite successful for small artists who aren't under the umbrella of the big publishers. I recently funded one of my favourite latin rock bands, Del Castillo, to help them out with their new album, and they offered some very cool rewards such as guitar lessons and VIP tickets to shows.

As a platform, I think its a perfect channel for artists to directly link to their fanbase. The challenge for anyone intending on using Kickstarter is that they need to be aware of that requirement - any new customers are unlikely to pay/fund more than what is required for the basic consumption of the product. Fortunately, Remedy has the required fanbase already, making it a viable platform for their products.

The real advantage I see in platforms like Kickstarter and Steam, are the removal of supply chain links, bringing customers closer to the artists themselves. For the fans, it means that they know that a larger portion of their money will go back to the artists. There is also closer collaboration with the artists themselves, meaning that the artist can explore new areas and gauge fan commitment to those ideas through the amount of funding they receive.

I believe in the platform, there is just a risk of it becoming quickly crowded with too many projects and ideas, so much so that people's investments become spread over so many different projects. That being said, I think it will open up closer ties between artists and their fanbases, with fans feeling like they have more interaction with the artist and their decisions.

Remedy's currently known projects:
Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Jawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmadMetallic View Post
Just imagine this: Remedy remains an X360/PC developer under the Microsoft banner, making big titles with big budgets, but they also launch a kickstarter project, promise a Max Payne game (or spin-off, since MP3 is now a Rockstar IP), and if they reach the needed budget from fan donations, they use that money to create the game.
Alex Casey: Return to Sender!,
a downloadable game from Remedy that looks like Max Payne but is really not Max Payne because Rockstar owns the rights.

Why not?! Does the contract that Remedy did with Rockstar say that Remedy cant make a game that looks a bit like Max Payne?

I think that its a good idea! I would fund it in kickstarter.
Jawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
sidetwo

Formerly of Remedy, currently of awesome.

If we wanted to continue to make Max Payne games, we wouldn't of sold the IP
sidetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
yogibbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawk View Post
Why not?! Does the contract that Remedy did with Rockstar say that Remedy cant make a game that looks a bit like Max Payne?
Yes, precisely that. That's what intellectual property rights are for.

This thread is stupid.

If RMD somehow were not successful with Alan Wake then this thread might have some point. But... RMD would be the one's suggesting the kickstarter project not the other way around.

Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!
yogibbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Doctor Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry View Post
For Remedy to go ahead with a "spiritual successor" would come across as sneaky...
I'm not sure about that. Surely the folks at Remedy would be well within their rights to create a new IP that shares creative elements with Max Payne? Heck, even Alan Wake shares certain similarities with the Max Payne IP, going so far as to base Alex Casey on him. Keep in mind I'm not talking about using anything directly from the Max Payne IP, I'm talking about narrative style and gameplay mechanics.

And anyway, the whole spiritual successor thing is nothing new. Did people take issue when BioWare created Dragon Age as a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate after they no longer had the licensing rights to Dungeons & Dragons? The PC version of Dragon Age: Origins even utilizes the same top-down isometric camera view as Baldur's Gate.

"I'm not afraid to be the center of attention!"
Last edited by Doctor Scratch; 02-29-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Doctor Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

Could they make something with Alex Casey, for example? Of course they could. But as soon as you have gameplay mechanics similar to Max Payne, that's crossing the line from a legal perspective, and an honourable perpective. And I know that Remedy is not the kind of company to cross either line.

Keep in mind, though, that if Rockstar were to employ the team to help with future Max Payne titles (as they did with Max Payne 2), that's a completely different thing.

Remedy's currently known projects:
Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
thebestbit

Maybe you could make a 2D shooter for XBLA with Casey? 2D games seem to be making a come back on digital.
thebestbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Doctor Scratch

I find it difficult to believe there's anything illegal -- or immoral -- about utilizing similar gameplay mechanics. You'd hardly see the developers of the Saints Row franchise getting the book thrown at them because their franchise shares mechanical similarities to Grand Theft Auto.

Look at the world of MMOs -- The Old Republic is a great game, but gameplay wise, it doesn't do anything significantly different from any other MMO. Some gameplay mechanics are inherent to the genre. Bullet time gun-play is hardly unique to Max Payne (these days, anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting they should make a Max Payne clone. I'm perfectly happy with Alan Wake. I just don't see how it'd be illegal.

"I'm not afraid to be the center of attention!"
Last edited by Doctor Scratch; 02-29-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Doctor Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Scratch View Post
I find it difficult to believe there's anything illegal -- or immoral -- about utilizing similar gameplay mechanics.
Of course not, but "similar gameplay mechanics" isn't really what pops into my head when I see the words "one last Payne swan song for closure." =)

Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD
MikkiRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
AhmadMetallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM View Post
If we wanted to continue to make Max Payne games, we wouldn't of sold the IP
Harsh, bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibbear View Post
This thread is stupid.

If RMD somehow were not successful with Alan Wake then this thread might have some point. But... RMD would be the one's suggesting the kickstarter project not the other way around.
Kickstarter is not for failing/needy developers though.. Double Fine and Obsidian are both good-selling devs with a lot of successful games and they're using it.
It's for developers with huge cult followings and big development heritage that want to revisit their older titles or genres just for the fans and by the fans, without big publishing noise.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
sidetwo

Formerly of Remedy, currently of awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmadMetallic View Post
Harsh, bro!
I fail to see how my comment was misconstrued as being harsh. I can assure you that was not the intention.
sidetwo is offline   Reply With Quote