Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake

Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Ultimecia

Getting it off my chest.

Guys / Gals, I just want to say a few things about the game and maybe suggest a few ones too. Anyway, First of all, I just want to say, thank you for making this game, I really, really enjoyed it. I hope in the near future there would be another Alan Wake waiting to be purchased and played. Please, Do not stop making a good game like this.

There are so many horror games out there that I used to like, for example, Resident Evil series, and Silent Hill. Resident Evil is beginning to lose their touch. It was my first horror game since PS1 and now, I don't even bother to look for a trailer anymore. I don't know why, maybe because, I want something new, something fresh, Like this game. Silent Hill is a scary game since 1-2-3 and 5. 4 which is the room, suck eggs. I just saw the latest Silent Hill Downpour gameplay on youtube, And all I can say is that the main character looks a lot like Alan wake. It sounds a lot like him too. Are you guys sure that you're "Alan wake voice talent" isn't out there reading scripts to other studios? lol kidding... Just don't follow their footsteps.

My point is, If you're going to continue making a series of Alan Wake in the future, Please do not lose your touch in it. Please listen to the people who purchased and played the game and wanted to make the game even better. Please let us upgrade our weapons in-game. Please make a movie for it and let Steven Spielberg produce it, let Stephen King write it, Let Eli Roth direct it. Let the story continue but please twist it a little bit. Sometimes, while playing the game. You can already predict whats gonna happen next.

Although I can say that the game is well directed and everything is perfect for me. Please lessen the bugs/glitch before releasing it on public, I'm not complaining because that's why they have patches right? but some people out there don't have an internet connection to check what's going on with their game. Like my neighbor... I can't afford to buy him an internet connection, I'm not rich. One last thing, please don't think about making a Light Saber weapon. It's not really my thing.

"Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree!” -Altair
Ultimecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
MikkiRMD

Remedy
Re: Getting it off my chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimecia View Post
I just saw the latest Silent Hill Downpour gameplay on youtube, And all I can say is that the main character looks a lot like Alan wake. It sounds a lot like him too. Are you guys sure that you're "Alan wake voice talent" isn't out there reading scripts to other studios? lol kidding...
Oh, man, I hope he is! Matthew Porretta is great, and as far as I'm concerned, he should be getting cool jobs all the time. (I don't think he's in Downpour, though.)

Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD
MikkiRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
aaron1a12

Matthew Porretta is a great voice actor, as well as James McCaffrey. I was really pleased to hear McCaffrey's voice. I used to play Max Payne alot as a kid so that guy's voice and dark/noir themed games are always very close to my heart. I totally loved the numerous Max Payne references in Alan Wake by the way. It's a shame you guys couldn't produce Max Payne 3. To the hell with cool Rockstar technology, Sam Lake written stories rock!

Honestly, what I loved about Alan Wake was that it didn't feel like a game, more like a horror movie! The video game industry produces nothing but FPS shooters (with poor story scripts)! Where have all the good games gone? The only FEW really story-based games are all for consoles, and so THANK YOU for releasing Alan Wake for the PC!

Another great thing about Alan Wake was the beautiful scenery, it looked like it was rendered with CryEngine 3, seriously. And in the maps that you get to ride vehicles, I intentionally wrecked the cars first and then made it to the next checkpoint by walking, just so I could spend more time exploring and sight-seeing. A sweet feature would've been a co-op, so you could enjoy a lovely story (as well as explore) with a friend. I can't name a single co-op game with a story as great as Alan Wake's.

CONCLUSION: I thought Max Payne was my favorite game...I thought wrong! Alan Wake rocks. If you guys produce a sequel, change things for the best, not the worst (duh)
aaron1a12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
aaron1a12

I just wanted say one last thing, there is a small part in Alan Wake that really scared the light out of me (as much as Amnesia the dark descent did). When Alan goes to meet the kidnapper and leaves Barry in the lodge, in the first empty cabin he finds, a Taken momentarily appears in the window but no cinematic music is played and you are left to wonder whether there really was something there or a trick of the light caused you to lose your grip. That was scary. I personally think that when the camera in-game forces me to look at the recently appeared Taken with a cinematic, that makes it less scary since you're being warned of the dangers, not surprised. I did noticed it happens less in Normal mode; I'm in the woods and then I hear rushing in the bushes, footsteps, and then...SH@##, lol, a Taken scares me from behind!
Last edited by aaron1a12; 03-09-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Bad grammar :P
aaron1a12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Ultimecia

@aaron1a12 For me, the best part is where you don't have a flashlight and you will have to use flares or flashbangs to escape the wrath of the taken, OMG! You should've have seen the look on my face when I used all my weapons and I will have to run 100 meters for me to reach saint haven and the 3 taken is just behind me trying to stop me.

"Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree!” -Altair
Last edited by Ultimecia; 03-10-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Ultimecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Fixit

If Eli Roth ended up directing an "Alan Wake" movie, you can bet that it wouldn't come out anything like an Alan Wake game. I would personally track down and set fire to every ******* copy, and hope that one of them was in Eli Roth's hands at the time.
Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
jptk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimecia View Post
Guys / Gals, I just want to say a few things about the game and maybe suggest a few ones too. Anyway, First of all, I just want to say, thank you for making this game, I really, really enjoyed it. I hope in the near future there would be another Alan Wake waiting to be purchased and played. Please, Do not stop making a good game like this.

There are so many horror games out there that I used to like, for example, Resident Evil series, and Silent Hill. Resident Evil is beginning to lose their touch. It was my first horror game since PS1 and now, I don't even bother to look for a trailer anymore. I don't know why, maybe because, I want something new, something fresh, Like this game. Silent Hill is a scary game since 1-2-3 and 5. 4 which is the room, suck eggs. I just saw the latest Silent Hill Downpour gameplay on youtube, And all I can say is that the main character looks a lot like Alan wake. It sounds a lot like him too. Are you guys sure that you're "Alan wake voice talent" isn't out there reading scripts to other studios? lol kidding... Just don't follow their footsteps.

My point is, If you're going to continue making a series of Alan Wake in the future, Please do not lose your touch in it. Please listen to the people who purchased and played the game and wanted to make the game even better. Please let us upgrade our weapons in-game. Please make a movie for it and let Steven Spielberg produce it, let Stephen King write it, Let Eli Roth direct it. Let the story continue but please twist it a little bit. Sometimes, while playing the game. You can already predict whats gonna happen next.

Although I can say that the game is well directed and everything is perfect for me. Please lessen the bugs/glitch before releasing it on public, I'm not complaining because that's why they have patches right? but some people out there don't have an internet connection to check what's going on with their game. Like my neighbor... I can't afford to buy him an internet connection, I'm not rich. One last thing, please don't think about making a Light Saber weapon. It's not really my thing.
Spielberg produce it!!? A horror/thriller...really? If he produced it I'd go nowhere near it, big explosions and fancy effects would ruin it.
jptk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptk View Post
Spielberg produce it!!? A horror/thriller...really? If he produced it I'd go nowhere near it, big explosions and fancy effects would ruin it.
Check Spielberg's producing history here and then get back to me.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Mirror Peak

Quote:
You're right... Michael Bay would be a much better choice.
Mirror Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #10
jptk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
Check Spielberg's producing history here and then get back to me.
Well aware of what he has done, and although he has done some great things, there are far far more suitable producers/directors for creating the type of atmosphere needed for a game like this. Not that it's actually going to happen or anything...
Last edited by jptk; 03-11-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Fixit

Quote:
Well aware of what he has done, and although he has done some great things, there are far far more suitable producers/directors for creating the type of atmosphere needed for a game like this. Not that it's actually going to happen or anything...
I'll bite. Such as...?

And you can't possibly be well aware of what he's done if you think of him as an explosions-mad CGI maniac. Look at what he produced in the first ten years of his career alone. He's produced nearly every kind of film/show imaginable. Just saying.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
jptk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
I'll bite. Such as...?

And you can't possibly be well aware of what he's done if you think of him as an explosions-mad CGI maniac. Look at what he produced in the first ten years of his career alone. He's produced nearly every kind of film/show imaginable. Just saying.
No lol, Im not gonna get into an internet debate. And yes I am very familiar with his work, the majority of it in fact, and thats why I am almost certain he would push the film in the more action orientated direction at this stage in his career. Also just saying.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
thegoodwar

Also wanted to add, without starting a whole new topic, along the lines of the original post, how much I enjoyed this game. I was always disappointed I didn't have an xbox but the PC version was truly a godsend, especially after finishing the campaign and additional content. As a fan of games like Silent Hill and shows like Twin Peaks, this was the perfect compliment to interactive entertainment.

I was very impressed with the extension of the game mechanics in the added content as well. The way the combat and environment was used...genius.

Also, I very much liked the ending. Great way to leave players on edge and wanting more!

I don't buy many games, but this was a no-brainer. Thank you for bringing this to another platform, and properly. I can't tell you how much, personally, I'm frustrated with Mass Effect 3 on PC. What a shame that game is in comparison to the options found in Alan Wake.

/sycophancy
thegoodwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
MestV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiRMD View Post
Oh, man, I hope he is! Matthew Porretta is great, and as far as I'm concerned, he should be getting cool jobs all the time. (I don't think he's in Downpour, though.)
Is Mr. Porretta also the actor playing Will Scarlet O Hara in Robin Hood Men in Tights? If he is, pretty damn great actor! The way he uses his voice/accent in that movie is just incredibly different, but fitting to his role in awesome manner.

Sorry if this question sounds stupid, I know he did "new adventures of Robin Hood" or something like that, if he did Men in Tights also that would have been a great reference overall anyway.

If it is him, he's also doing great comedy next to some serious coolness voice acting in AW
MestV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MestV View Post
Is Mr. Porretta also the actor playing Will Scarlet O Hara in Robin Hood Men in Tights? If he is, pretty damn great actor! The way he uses his voice/accent in that movie is just incredibly different, but fitting to his role in awesome manner.
That's him. =)

Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD
MikkiRMD is offline   Reply With Quote