Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake's American Nightmare > American Nightmare Gameplay Discussion

Old 12-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #41
Fixit
Re: Alan Wake: American Nightmare Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Shepa View Post
I do, he's the son of my favourite writer STEPHEN KING. I read Heart Shaped Box, great read, but how is this relevant to this thread?
He's great on Twitter, too.*

*Also irrelevant.
Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #42
RadiNightingale

im guessing At some point Nightingale will attempt to kill sratch, hope he ends up working with Alan because he seems like a really interesting character and i wanna find our more about him
RadiNightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #43
RadiNightingale

maybe scratch is to alan what taken are to other people so maybe everyone who became a taken is really in the dark place?
RadiNightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #44
explodingapples

God I love to read all those theories here

Maybe agent Nightingale didn't die after all...What I saw in AW 1 in chapter 5, was that the darkness just TOOK him to the dark place...It didn't look like killing to me . Maybe he ends up with mr. Scratch in the dark place?
explodingapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #45
ThomaZane

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingapples View Post
God I love to read all those theories here

Maybe agent Nightingale didn't die after all...What I saw in AW 1 in chapter 5, was that the darkness just TOOK him to the dark place...It didn't look like killing to me . Maybe he ends up with mr. Scratch in the dark place?
And/Or Emil Hartman?

You never see him die, just being locked up with the dark presence in his office.
Also, later on the taken that you fight is the nurse Birch, though many people think it is Hartman.
ThomaZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #46
tomwhitaker

We obviously do not know the intentions of Thomas Zane in leaving Mr Scratch in Alan's place at this time, however it could be suggested that for the story to be balanced, there must be perils and thrills and in order for Alan to escape with Alice alive, he must allow Mr Scratch to take his place and then at a later point in the story swap back over with Scratch.
tomwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #47
Penland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwhitaker View Post
We obviously do not know the intentions of Thomas Zane in leaving Mr Scratch in Alan's place at this time, however it could be suggested that for the story to be balanced, there must be perils and thrills and in order for Alan to escape with Alice alive, he must allow Mr Scratch to take his place and then at a later point in the story swap back over with Scratch.
I agree. In the writer dlc Zane doesnt actually say he created mr. scratch. So the origin of Mr. Scratch is still unexplained. But from what I see from AW and the trailers for AWAN is that there is going to be a war between light and the darkness.
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #48
tomwhitaker

The Dark Presence is definitely 'branching out' as it were. I think Alan Wake is the biggest fish Emil Hartman caught in terms of creative prowess as well as being the most 'international'. I mean, we are physically shown his New York life - apartment, television interview, hangover - and then shown the absolute contrast of Bright Falls. The Dark Presence as Alan states: "It's not a lake. It's an ocean." So you might infer from this that as an entity, it was thinking along the lines of: "We've got a talented, international writer as a face... let's go make trouble." In the words of Mr. Scratch: "This is just for kicks."
tomwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #49
AlexEnteprises1

After dealing with barbara jagger, freeing alice and thomas zane, alan is ultimately left alone in the dark place with nobody to free him and nobody left to fight. This splits his personality into two, creating mr. scratch (Alan's dark side) and the player (Alan's good side).

The dark place is now basically a war zone for alan to fight his own evils. Hopefully when alan defeats scratch he frees himself from the dark place and he has already fought his dark half so now his personality can not split like it did to create mr scratch
AlexEnteprises1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #50
Mirror Peak

Didn't Mr. Scratch appear before Alan went to the Dark Place though?
Mirror Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #51
Commander Shepa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexEnteprises1 View Post
After dealing with barbara jagger, freeing alice and thomas zane, alan is ultimately left alone in the dark place with nobody to free him and nobody left to fight. This splits his personality into two, creating mr. scratch (Alan's dark side) and the player (Alan's good side).

The dark place is now basically a war zone for alan to fight his own evils. Hopefully when alan defeats scratch he frees himself from the dark place and he has already fought his dark half so now his personality can not split like it did to create mr scratch
I believe Wake didn't free Zane. Nice theory nevertheless.
Commander Shepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #52
thedarkpresence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiRMD View Post
Yes, it is.
That kinda confuses me a little. Since Night Springs is a fictional place within the world of Alan Wake, this has got to be happening either in the dark place or inside Alan's own head. It can't be really happening. But fiction tend to become real in Alan's world and since Alan wrote a episode of night springs, he has kind of written the town of night springs itself into existence in the real world.
Speculation is fun, isn't it?
thedarkpresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #53
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Well, that's something we get into in the game itself. =)
MikkiRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #54
EndTHEjourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Moridin View Post
Alan called him a caricature of himself. This might mean that Scratch is Alan's negative qualities, his anger, his ego (going by Scratch saying he likes to be the center of attention.)
I think the same. My opinion is that Alan is still fighting his other side within his own head. Coming to end of The Writer he was in this room on top of the mountain where Alan saw himself talking to Dr. Hartigan (oh, now I read it was Hartman!) and where he realised that it was him still kept in the dark place but also (or is his mind "the dark place" as a result?) realised that it was his fight "seeing the light again" as i like to call it metaphorically. So I think after the fight against Barry he still fights againts his bad side. And the TVs and Radios are kind of connection to the real world in which Mr. Scratch is the kind of person the people see of Alan but he is eighter locally far to Alice or he is with Alice but in the radio plays Alice appels to the good sides of Alan and that she hadn´t seen him for two years cause he had changed that much (again(!), as the drug and party life is undeniably real as far as I´m not wrong).

I hope that someone can understand what I mean cause interpreting is one of the things which fascinate me the most about Alan Wake.
Last edited by EndTHEjourney; 03-05-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: first cause the quote was wrong, second that I read Hartman´s name in another post
EndTHEjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #55
revan8

My interpretation was Alan, now that he understood his powers more, wrote night springs into the real world.
This happened to be in Arizona.
You see the cabin at the start of each loop sink back down.
Alan says he was just using the episode of night springs as a tool to help manifest this reality. He knows almost immediately that by creating this a rift has been created at the oil well.
Mr scratch is in the real world but can't fully do his thing for the darkness until Alan is totally list to the darkness, they are still linked. he mentions letting Alice see him a few times which of course she dismisses.
U can look at the man strangled which could be nightingales partner but perhaps that is a stretch.
Scratch creates the loop to keep Alan locked away as he knows Alan was becoming himself more powerful.
I could go on for ages but will take ages on my phone but there are many references through out the game that you are in real world Arizona.
It is all in there through manuscripts, tv, radio etc. It has also been two years but Alan is learning more and more, before he mentions he couldn't escape the darkness but could communicate through mediums such as radio waves. Even if it is in the real world he didn't actually escape as he was followed.
However as the whole story is based around time/space/darkness/re shaping reality it could be anything remedy want it to be, kind of what the end sequence alludes to.
I would prefer this to be shown as real after the interesting characters like the scientist, it also has more impact to the overall impact.
If it is just another layer than it is just Alan debating with himself and by the submission of the fact Alan was treating them as real would show he is as lost in his mind as ever.

Sorry for the jumbled rant, just was typing as ideas came back to me from when I played it, no structure to my theories.
Last edited by revan8; 03-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.
revan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #56
revan8

Wow, only two theories posted post game release. No one else got any interesting theories to share?
revan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #57
inferi

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0T PENNYS B0AT View Post
One question I think we have to ask, though this previous post confuses me as to whether or not it's even relevant, is "Did Tom know Mr. Scratch's intentions? If he knew he was evil or whatever, why did he seem fine when telling Alan that Scratch would be taking his place?"
That's one of the things I really want to know too. The fact that Thomas couldn't sense that Scratch was evil in the first place. I think it was the Dark Presence that actually created him. Scratch mentions he wants to spread the Darkness, so maybe with Alan trapped and continuing to create the story, you'd have Scratch out there spreading the words like a new novel (I know GunGrave TZA mentioned that theory and I like that) and the novel is somehow contagious?

Thomas even says that Scratch is going to replace him while in the Dark Place, so with Jagger defeated, did he think Scratch was good now? So then, maybe Scratch was corrupted by jealousy and therefore went dark?

I'm also curious about how time works in the Dark Place. Two years went by in our time, but how long was it for Alan? How do you eat? Sleep? In a place like that for so long? And prior with Alan being in there for a week without sleep? It couldn't have been that long for him there.

So many questions.

"And I was in the Darkness.
So Darkness I became."
Alan Wake Fanlisting
inferi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #58
Herosmurf

See my idea always was about this was that Alan was trapped in the dark place and is trying to find a way out so he then tries to write a new story 'Return' in which he escapes from the dark place. He uses a story of Night Springs as his story and a location, Arizona, as a sort of anchor or a doorway into the world. However, in the story of Night Springs there was one about a man and his evil doppelganger and as Alan is now in this story this becomes him and Mr Scratch. (If you remember from the first game one of the Night Springs shows has a man that killed someone that apparently was himself, I think it was something like 'The Man in the Mirror' or something, so I think that's what story it is). So Alan then has to write a conflict between the two to make it believable and to fight his way out of the dark place which he has put the doorway into Arizona. Or that's the way I saw it anyway
Herosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #59
Herosmurf

Oh also just to add that maybe the darkness is taking over Alan and as he's going insane it could just be a personified version of his schizophrenia
Herosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #60
Sir Quacker

Ok here is my theory, lol here we go...
when Alan went to the dark place at the end of the first game he wrote a sequel to Depature called Return. I think he wrote another episode of night springs while in the dark place to help him get out, because the Darkness responds to works of art with the Night springs episode being that. I think he intentionally had Mr. Scratch reset the events in the game because everything u create in the dark place has to balance itself out and each time he would write something else in that would help him, for instance the film that Alice had made which i think rewrote reality itself because on the film behind mr. scratch as he is being burnt away u can clearly see mr scratch being shown on the film. After he burns away Mr scratch is replaced with alan meaning he is back in the real world. Other things further my point like at the end of the credits it says the title of the episode is "return" (the title to the sequel of depature) and in one of the bonus movies it shows barry wake up in the motel and he thinks he heres alan, meaning he either escaped and kind of sent out a signal to barry when he returned or he's at least very close to escaping. And u can tell in that bonus video Barry is not the manager of the Old Gods of Asgard maybe meaning with Alan's escape from the dark place, maybe that rewrote reality.
Sir Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #61
Pickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quacker
film behind mr. scratch as he is being burnt away u can clearly see mr scratch being shown on the film. After he burns away Mr scratch is replaced with alan
Well what do you know, I never saw that. The ending seems much better now that I actually see it.

Thanks for pointing out that thing. I feel like I need an eye check or something.

I don't wanna be buried in a pet cemetary
Pickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #62
ViperSRT

To me Alan Wake is as much about what is happening in reality as what is happening in Alan's Mind. I feel American Nightmare especially so. Since the dark place uses Alan's thoughts to manifest itself AN can be seen as Alan's battle between his good half resisting and his dark half succumbing to the darkness. I think the dark presence has now taken Alan's dark self and is now using it as it did Barbara. Remember Thomas Zane in the Signal saying that the part of Alan's consciousnesses fighting was getting lost deeper and deeper into the darkness. Since AN takes place two years after Alan Wake one can assume that Mr. Scratch has been leading Alan on wild goose chases and manipulating him all that time trying to get him to stop fighting and fully succumb to the darkness. What AN is is Alan finally being able to solve scratches riddle and finally defeating him. What that means for the future we do not know yet. How Thomas Zane still fits into this we don't yet know although with certain evidence given to us we can bring up some provocative questions especially in regards to the clicker when Alan asks him how he knew about it and Zane gave him a run around answer. I hope we have more of Zane in future releases. Just my 2 cents.

Also the ending with Alan being reunited with Alice may well be something we will see in a later game when Alan finally frees himself from the darkness. With the destruction of Scratch the darkness will have to find a new host. However that scene is a scene of hope that Alan has struck a severe blow to the darkness and will one day be free and reunited with Alice.

It may have been said before somewhere and if so I appologize but this is basically how I see it so far. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by ViperSRT; 04-09-2012 at 03:18 PM.
ViperSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #63
Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
I think the dark presence has now taken Alan's dark self and is now using it as it did Barbara.

Great theory, but I’m not sure if this is possible. This is just my humble opinion. There are differences between Barbara and Alan Wake. The Dark Presence used Barbara as it’s “face” because as we know it, Barbara died. But Alan Wake is supposed to be still alive in the Dark Place. I don’t know if the Dark Presence could be using Alan’s dark self as it did Barbara. There are just differences between them, but this is just my humble opinion.

If Alan Wake truly has a “Dark Self,” it’s the Dark Presence that is really under Alan's spell. After all, it is Alan Wake who wrote all of this. And Alan’s writings were made real by the power of the “Lake!” This is just my own humble opinion. But that’s just me! (He, He, He! – Sneaky Me!)

Cheers!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #64
Pickman

Played the game, again after a long brake. I'm more confused than I was before.
In one of the radio show, Eddie, Serena, Alice. They talk about the Night Springs Movie festival. Night Springs, a fictional place!! So what the hell?!? Does the radio show take place in reality or in this artificial reality Alan created.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #65
Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickman View Post
In one of the radio show, Eddie, Serena, Alice. They talk about the Night Springs Movie festival. Night Springs, a fictional place!! So what the hell?!? Does the radio show take place in reality or in this artificial reality Alan created.

I don’t suppose you have considered the possibility that they’re all there in the service of a greater purpose, incomprehensible to them, and that what they take to be freedom is nothing more than the move of a pawn on some cosmic chessboard – limited in scope, subject to the whims of unseen players, existing only for their entertainment?
Or perhaps they’re just a twisted reflection of actual events that can happen elsewhere. Could it be that
such is life?...............In Night Springs!

What is Real?................How do you define Real?...............If you are unsure of your own reality. Then let me assure you, there is nothing sure, for sure……………In Night Springs!

Alice is in the town called Night Springs……………In Night Springs!

He did it again! The Big Bastard is back……………In Night Springs!

F@ck! This is too much. I’m going nuts……………In Night Springs!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!............................. ...In Night Springs!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #66
SnowboarderX

Quote:
Played the game, again after a long brake. I'm more confused than I was before.
Maybe it was just a festival named after the popular Television series?

It's not a lake.... It's an ocean.
SnowboarderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #67
Jill

So, you mean to say they are not in Night Springs…………….In Night Springs!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #68
Pickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboarderX
Maybe it was just a festival named after the popular Television series?
Maybe?! But if, lets say there was a festival called the Star Wars festival. The content of the festival would revolve around Star Wars, and Kevin Smith movies.

But who knows? Maybe the movies on that festival were Night Springs influenced.

Alan Wake, was a writer for the show, so that might be something, that interests Night Springs fans. I'm talking about the Alice's movie.

Last edited by Pickman; 07-27-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #69
Celeste

I think that's the biggest question of AWAN — what's real? Alan says, "Everything is as real as everything else. You learn to let go of the things you can't control and go with the flow, or go insane." But still, it's hard not to wonder how "real" what happens in "Return" is, since we see it as almost a frame story through Barry's TV. It's basically impossible for us to answer at this point since all we have to go on is Alan's writing. If we had something external like The Alan Wake Files, it would be easier to determine what's "real" for other characters.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #70
Jill

Quote:
But who knows? Maybe the movies on that festival were Night Springs influenced.
A festival named and influenced after the TV series Night Springs, held in the town called Night Springs……………In Night Springs!

Quote:
Alan Wake, was a writer for the show, so that might be something, that interests Night Springs fans.
Night Springs fans attending Night Springs Movie Festival in a town called Night Springs……………In Night Springs!

Alice’s movie is part of the Night Springs Movie Festival. Serena is in the town called Night Springs. Is Alice also in the town of Night Springs……………In Night Springs!

Um. Dude, what?

Food for thought, Ricky. Food for thought.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #71
Pickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste
I think that's the biggest question of AWAN — what's real?
There's also a awesome manuscript, describing how we are more familiar/know better the fictional characters, than we know a real person walking towards you on the streets.
So imagine being in Alan's shoes when you can't be sure that the person in front of is real, even if he has history and personality. When in reality, the many people you pass by during your day, who you don't know, who are just a momentary glimpse in the corner of your eye, who are real! Don't feel as real as the fictional character.

That being because of the Lake/Dark Place. For Alan, that is. For us It's not that dramatic...

Human brain is F:ing weird, when you really start to think about it. You can feel connection to something that doesn't exist in reality. I did get some dirt in my eyes, when I saw the Lost final episode. That's crazy! Why can you fool your brain to react to something that's not real.
And still when I watch the news, I don't cry for the death of hundreds of people that die every day, by some insane event.

I've got to stop thinking, It's a road to deep, dark places....life's insane, that's all.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #72
Celeste

Quote:
There's also a awesome manuscript, describing how we are more familiar/know better the fictional characters, than we know a real person walking towards you on the streets.
Oh yeah, I think that's my favorite manuscript page in all of AW canon. It really resonated with me because it's so true. I mean, look how much time we spend here speculating on a fictional story, right? But I think the reason we connect to fiction is that it helps us make sense of the world we do live in — almost tricking us into doing so sometimes. Without stories, you'd only be able to see the world through your own eyes, your own experiences. Fiction gives us so much more to explore. But for us it's safe because we know it's not real. Not so much for Alan — even though he's writing the story, he doesn't know what's going to happen most of the time or how much of what he experiences is because of something he wrote.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #73
Sir Quacker

The whole American Nightmare game is an episode of Night Springs that alan wrote while in the dark place to help him escape. The place or town is called Night Springs somewhere in Arizona. That's why its called the night springs movie festival. Not because they are fans of the show but because its a movie festival located in Night Springs lol.
Last edited by Sir Quacker; 09-10-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #74
Jill

Yeah, what’s up with that “fans” stuff anyway?

Alice is in the town of Night Springs for the Night Springs Movie Festival that is part of the story that Alan wrote in an episode of Night Springs that becomes the whole AWAN game…………in Night Springs?

Could it be that such is Alice’s life?............In Night Springs!

Um…What?

Food for thought, Ricky. Food for thought.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #75
Pickman

Sir Quacker

Yeah, it was held in Night Springs. But Night Springs isn't a real place.
I was assuming that the radio shows were a link, or something into reality. Now that the movie festival is held in a fictional place, that makes the radio signal theory wonky...

unless, it's not held in Nightsprings, but somewhere far away...from Nightsprings.

What do you think of this theory.

Barry was dreaming, and Alan invaded Barrys dream. To accomplish what ever it actually was.
Very much like when Alan arrived to Brightfalls. Barry is close enough to a weak spot in the universe for Alan to invade the dream.
That would explain why there were hot chicks in every location, the last part's not serious, or maybe I'm dead serious.

Ugh...I'm getting tired of this poopoo. I think I'm gonna take an hiatus from the forums, and forget about Alan Wake for couple of years...But I just can't quit you Alan, I can't quit you!!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #76
Sir Quacker

hahah you're right. I love Alan Wake but i swear to god, if you're a fan of this game you have to put every molecule of brain power into understanding the story because its so complex lol. But anyways about the radio broadcasts. I forgot exactly what they all were about but i remember the one where they had the interview with Barry about being the manager for the Old Gods of Asgard. I think you are right when you said it was like a link to the real world. I dont think it existed within the 'Night Springs' world. I've said this before in a different forum chat i think but at the very end when it goes back to Barry in the motel and he wakes up, it no longer shows Barry as the manager for the Old Gods of Asgard. With that being said, i think its implying that with everything Alan did in the dark place/Night Springs it rewrote reality in the real world. I think that was the whole idea of the 'rewrite reality' in the Night Springs episode so that when he did all that in there and it helped him escape, he also changed everything in the real world as well. So who knows maybe when he comes back, no one will even remember him being gone or something. Who knows
Old 09-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #77
Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quacker View Post
at the very end when it goes back to Barry in the motel and he wakes up, it no longer shows Barry as the manager for the Old Gods of Asgard.
What are you basing that on?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #78
Pickman

Quote:
at the very end when it goes back to Barry in the motel and he wakes up, it no longer shows Barry as the manager for the Old Gods of Asgard.
No... I think he still is the manager. The All access, Manager badge is still lying on the bed, in the end sequence.

Quote:
I think you are right when you said it was like a link to the real world. I dont think it existed within the 'Night Springs' world.
And thus how is it possible that Alice was discussing the Alan Wake movie(on the radio), that was to be showed at the Night Springs movie festival? If Night Springs isn't real?
That's why I'm wondering the whole deal with the festival, radio and reality.
And if it is held in "The Real World", in my mind, it has to be a Night springs TV show celebration festival. featuring the lost holiday footage of the mysteriously vanished, former Night Springs writer Alan Wake.

Stay sane, buddy.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #79
Celeste

My feeling is that the stuff that happens in "Return", including the radio interviews, straddle reality and Alan's imagination. He says he's setting his episode in a real place but renaming it Night Springs for the purpose of the episode, so we already know some stuff is a combination of reality and what he needs for his story. It's like he's superimposing his story on top of reality. So why shouldn't there also be some bleed-over with things like Alice's film or the Old Gods?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #80
Pickman

Yeah, I guess when realities entwine, things can get cooky. The real world must somehow have some affect in Alan's creation and vice versa. Alans creation is leaking to reality, reality leaks and twists into Alans world and the end result is what it is. The Ying and Yang priciple.

Still...It makes my brain hurt like hell.