Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake's American Nightmare

Old 04-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
dunnace
A Question About Cutscenes

I'm a big fan of the live action cutscenes and videos scattered throughout the game, not only because they're superbly written, but brilliantly acted. However, when browsing the credits of the game I noticed Alan Wake's/Mr Scratch's voice actor and live action actor appear not to be the same person.

Does this mean that live action Alan is in fact miming voice actor Alan's lines? Is this even the case in the SUPER EFFECTIVE SALES trailer? I'm curious to know if this is the case, and if it is how do you go about something like that?
dunnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
sidetwo

Formerly of Remedy, currently of awesome.
Re: A Question About Cutscenes

You're right that they're not the same person. Alan Wake/Mr. Scratch is modelled and portrayed by Finnish actor Ilkka Villi. The voice is done by Matthew Porretta.

In the first game it was developed where Ilkka would mime Matthews Voice Over, however in American Nightmare (and subsequently the Super Effective Sales Trailer) it's the opposite as we found that they had a better fit if we did it that way.

@MikkiRMD would be able to give you more detail into the process than I would.
sidetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
samivRMD

Formerly of Remedy, currently of awesome.

And our audio guys painstakingly tuned everything to make sure Ilkka's performance and Matthew's audio matched without visible lipsyncing issues.

SamiV.

Lead Technical Artist, Remedy Co-Founder
samivRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by samivRMD View Post
And our audio guys painstakingly tuned everything to make sure Ilkka's performance and Matthew's audio matched without visible lipsyncing issues.

SamiV.

“Painstakingly” – Oh yeah! You’ve nailed the word on this one SamiV. I totally understand what you mean! Gamers should see this and know this, before they open their pie hole and start blabbering their complaints about the game! People don’t really appreciate anymore how much “Painstakingly” hard work you guys really spend just to deliver to us this excellent franchise!

Please tell all the Audio Guys that everything was “PERFECT!” Bravo Audio Guys! BRAVO!!!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

I think we're going to have to add a pun detector to our swear filter...

Remedy's currently known projects:
Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry View Post
I think we're going to have to add a pun detector to our swear filter...

Hey Morry, are you pertaining to my post? What “pun?”………. Oh I see it, are you pertaining to the words – “Painstakingly” hard work? – Yeah, that doesn’t sound right, does it?! I just realized that right now. Silly me! Thanks Morry for pointing that out. But that was really unintentional. I was really trying to nail my point about how people really give that extra effort just to deliver a perfect or nearly perfect job. I didn’t realize it would come out like a pun. I guess it was wrong choice of words on my part, or maybe it’s just really hard to make a point if you’re saying it first and then writing it online. I think there is also a difference between the actual tone of your voice when you say it with a positive note and then when you read your post in just a neutral tone like reading it with out emotions. I admit, I’m not very good with writing. But to reiterate it again, for SamiV and all the Audio Guys, it was a positive note on my end, and not a negative pun! Great job Guys, and thank you! Thank you very much for that extra push!

Cheers!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
LonelyGreyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetwo View Post
[...] however in American Nightmare (and subsequently the Super Effective Sales Trailer) it's the opposite as we found that they had a better fit if we did it that way.
Don't forget, the fellows at RMD did that not only in American Nightmare and the SES Trailer, but also in The Signal and The Writer.
Last edited by LonelyGreyWolf; 04-21-2012 at 09:22 PM.
LonelyGreyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote