Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Max Payne

Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
Dean

McCaffrey Max Mod

Using some model trickery and a couple 3D applications, I think I've got a fairly recognizable James McCaffrey Max from Max Payne 3. I edited his jacket a tiny tad with the new tie. What do you guys think so far? He's an emotionless rock right now, but hopefully I will eventually change that.

I hope these aren't too many images.

Here is a download link of what I have so far, which isn't much. Just put it in your Max Payne 2 folder and launch the game with 'McCaffrey Max' from the launcher.

I was thinking of having his wounded models be bearded mercenary Max, or bald Max. That would be neat, don't you think?
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
jester131

Re: McCaffrey Max Mod

He's looking really good, almost like the Max Payne 3 model. But then again the face in Max Payne 3 is also modeled after McCaffrey.
If you like to see more of McCaffrey I just uploaded a McCaffrey Scene Collection yesterday.

If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION
jester131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
NYPDMAXPAYNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Using some model trickery and a couple 3D applications, I think I've got a fairly recognizable James McCaffrey Max from Max Payne 3. I edited his jacket a tiny tad with the new tie. What do you guys think so far? He's an emotionless rock right now, but hopefully I will eventually change that.

I hope these aren't too many images.

Here is a download link of what I have so far, which isn't much. Just put it in your Max Payne 2 folder and launch the game with 'McCaffrey Max' from the launcher.

I was thinking of having his wounded models be bearded mercenary Max, or bald Max. That would be neat, don't you think?
Amazing!
NYPDMAXPAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
SpacemanGray

That is awesome. I love what you've done with the jacket. It is always nice to see the modding community still flourishing. I began modding the Max Payne games for about a year now, and I have a question that would really help me out. What programs are you using to rig and get it into the game? Ever since levels4you went down, all of the best tutorials have went down with it. Your help will be GREATLY appreciated.
SpacemanGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Dean

Yeah, I've noticed a lack of tutorials as well. Most of what I've learned is a mix of past experience and picking up useful tips around forums and asking other modders. The_Silver, the guy behind Payne Effects 3, helped me a lot with figuring out materials & weapon exporting. I'm not really fond of Milkshape's 3D's UI, and the official Autodesk 3DS Max plugins for MP2 are incredibly outdated. I use Milkshape 3D to import/export any mods I want to do, and 3DS Max 2010 with a few plugins for the bulk of the work. I might do a couple of in-depth tutorials for modding things in Max Payne 1/2 with lots of pictures, but I'm busy these days. Procrastination doesn't help, and I'm not sure how many people are still interested in Max Payne modding; especially with the third game coming very quickly and on a completely different engine with different (upcoming) tools.

I import the .KF2 of Max (his 3D mesh), his skeleton (pose_maxpayne.kf2 in database/skeletons/anim) and his skin data (.SKD, holds vertice weight info that the mesh is attached to the skeleton with) respectively. You have to do it in this order. Once everything is in Milkshape, I export it as an Unreal .PSK. A PSK file holds mesh and skin data primarily for all Unreal Engine games. I'm exporting it into PSK because it is the format that will contain the mesh/skin/various other important things the best. I use Unreal Engine PSK/PSA plugins for 3DS Max to import it. I've tried to export Max as a Half-Life .SMD before (format that holds mesh/skin data for the GoldSrc and Source engines that power various VALVe games), but I found that Milkshape doesn't export it properly; so use .PSK. If I remember correctly, the importing procedure for Milkshape is generally very similar for Max Payne 1.

Once you got your .PSK imported into 3DS Max with glidor's ActorX importer, you can rig and edit away. Max Payne 1 & 2 meshes are ridiculously small when imported with their default scale, so I suggest importing the .PSK with a larger scale. There's an option for that somewhere in the plugin. Rigging/weighting/skinning isn't really a process I can easily sum up, so I will assume you know how to do that or can find another source for information on that. Do whatever you want to Max Payne. I recommend starting off with a very simple edit (Maybe give Max a party hat!) so you know you're able to export players before you get into the heavy, long-term mods. I think it's easier to apply textures in 3DS Max than Milkshape, although it doesn't matter as long as you know how to apply materials in Milkshape. If you scaled everything up when you imported Max, make sure you scale it back down to the original size before you export.

I export my new mesh as a Half-Life .SMD from 3DS Max. There are plugins for that here or here. I use CannonFodder's exporter. You won't be able to export your model as a .PSK from 3DS Max because the .PSK format the exporter for 3DS Max uses is too new for Milkshape's outdated PSK importer. However, You will need a PSK/PSA exporter for 3DS Max if you intend on exporting new animations for Max Payne 1/2.

If you exported your modified Max Payne from 3DS Max as an .SMD and attempt to import it into Milkshape 3D, be sure to have only "Import Triangles" and "Import Skeleton" ticked. Do not have "Rename Joints" ticked. You'll also want to delete one of the bones/joints at the very base of your modified Max Payne. This is due to 3DS Max creating an extra bone(s)/joint(s) named the same thing as the mesh(es) when you export as an .SMD. You'll want to delete this bone(s)/joint(s), or else Max Payne 1 & 2 will report something about an invalid number of bones. What a confusing sentence.

When all that is done, go into the "Materials" tab in Milkshape and make sure none of the materials have their file formats at the end. If it says something like "Hand.dds", rename it to say "Hand" instead. Do this for all of the materials in the "Material" tab. Make note of all of the names in the tab. You can name them whatever you want, as long as you remember it. The process for importing and exporting Max Payne 1 & 2 players are pretty much identical, except Max Payne 1 uses KFS/SKD formats and Max Payne 2 uses KF2/SKD. By default, the export options in Milkshape for Max Payne 1 & 2 models are set up for Max Payne 2 meshes/players.

There's one more thing you have to do to get your Max working in Max Payne 2. Max Payne 1 requires a very similar process, but I haven't done it in awhile so I forget what it is. You can probably figure it out. There are .txt files in database/skins named the same as the folder with the KF2/SKD files. For example, MaxPayne.txt holds all of the information that include which bone structure the model will use to which model will be displayed to which textures are used. You will need to edit which materials and shaders the model will use. It's always near the end of the .txt file. Remember the names of the materials you used in the "Materials" tab in Milkshape? These come into play here. For example, if you have a material named Hand, the section in MaxPayne.txt will look like this:
Code:
	[Shader]
	Material = "Hand";
	Shader = "Skin";
It's fairly straightforward to understand. "Hand" is the name of the material group in the "Materials" tab of Milkshape, not necessarily the name of the texture you applied to that part of the mesh. Although, in this case, I applied a Hand.dds texture to the hand part of the mesh.

Shader = "Skin" is how the material will react to the light. If you've played Max Payne 2, you've noticed how Max's jacket shines and glistens in the light, but his pants do not. This is because his jacket uses a shader called "MaxJacket" that makes it shiny. If you want to see a list of possible shaders, there is a list in data/shaders.txt. You'll have to use RASMaker 2 to extract the .ras files that come with Max Payne 2. If you are making a mod, I believe you can also add your own shaders to shaders.txt with your own specularity settings, although I have not tried.

In my opinion, the best way of learning is to try things yourself and fiddle about with settings and files. If you get stuck, glance at other files to see what those authors did then trying it yourself. Take a look at Max Payne 1/2 source files or extracted mods. You can also add characters, weapons, or animations instead of replacing stock Max Payne 1 & 2 files.

What a long post, and that isn't even covering it particularly in-depth! If anybody reading this gets stuck on something, send me a message or try asking other modders if they're not busy.
Last edited by Dean; 04-27-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
NYPDMAXPAYNE

Dean your work is amazing! I cant say it enough!
NYPDMAXPAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
SpacemanGray

Wow, I GREATLY appreciate your help, Dean. Very very insightful, though most people would read your post with their brain oozing out of proportion, I understand what you are talking about. I also understand that you are busy, and it really does mean a lot for you to dedicate some of your time to help me out! (And any other modder out there!)

But yes, the Max Payne plugins are extremely outdated, and I doubt Rockstar will bother at all due to Max Payne 3 coming out soon, and also the fact that the games are old as well. It is such a "payne" to not see anyone modding these games anymore. The games still have some mods living strong though. A demo of The Real World was released not too long ago, after years of development, and soon will be seeing a full release.

A quick question I have for ya, what verisons of 3ds and Milkshape would be the best? I've done my research, and I've read that apparently 3ds 5.1 only works with MP2, and I have no idea about MP1, although I don't think it would matter.

Also, when everyone got the smoke signal that levels4you was about to hit the can, I went on a download frenzy, and downloaded a ton of mods, tools, tutorials etc. I've tried looking at some of the tutorials but they are a bit vague, and for some glorious reason, the .rars and what have you are corrupted, only exporting certain files, while what I am looking for won't.

I have a whole folder dedicated to both MP1 and MP2 mods, with MP1 holding a little over 2 gig, and about the same amount for MP2. If you can remember a certain mod that you'd like to play again, let me know and I will see if I downloaded it. It only seems fair to help you out as you've help me.

A bit of background about me, for those who are interested, and or nosy.

I began modding about 4 to 5 years ago, starting with the infamous Grand Theft Auto titles. It wouldn't take long for my interest to become even greater, expanding my modding experiences to other games. I believe what I'm best at is image manipulation. I also have some experience with 3d modeling, but nothing over the top.
SpacemanGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
Dean

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

3DS Max 5.1 is the version with the outdated official Max Payne tools. It's near impossible to find a copy, nevermind finding one via legal means. It also requires using the official mod documentation that's still floating around, and a very different method. That little guide I posted is if you don't want to mess around with the outdated tools.

Any version of 3DS Max will do as long as it supports the SMD and PSK importers/exporters; I think that's any version between 9 and 2012. I believe any Milkshape 3D will do, as long as it's around or above 1.7.0. I'm pretty sure I use 1.8.1 or 1.8.2, but I don't have it open right now.

Glad to hear you have so many mods stored, I might take you up on that.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

Fantastic tutorial, Dean. Thank you so much!

Remedy's currently known projects:
Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
mwkcope

Question: I downloaded the first Max Payne on my 360 (it was a Walmart exclusive), and I'd like to play it with this. Is that possible?
mwkcope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
edcar007

Nope,mate.
Only PCs are compatible with mods.

''Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there’s little fun to be had in explanations; they’re antithetical to the poetry of fear...''
-Stephen King
edcar007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
kahuna

is it possible to use this mod in max payne 1 for pc , i havent found any skin mod avaiable , is there also any tool that i can extract the textures from max payne 1 , all i see are " . ras " file extensions i have heard about rasmaker but i havent found any link avaiable most of them are broken , please help
kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
is it possible to use this mod in max payne 1 for pc , i havent found any skin mod avaiable , is there also any tool that i can extract the textures from max payne 1 , all i see are " . ras " file extensions i have heard about rasmaker but i havent found any link avaiable most of them are broken , please help
Here's a link to Max Payne 1 mod tools. You won't be able to use this specific mod in Max Payne 1, although you could edit/make a new mod for MP1. On a slightly unrelated note, Payne Evolution just came out a few days ago which has a much nicer-looking McCaffrey model.