Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake's American Nightmare > American Nightmare Gameplay Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Pickman

The Alan Wake environments, symbolic meanings

Hay hay, we still haven't talked about the environments in Alan Wake franchise. The symbolism it may or may not hold. I don't know if it's necessary to open a whole threat on this, because it's more of an side note and doesn't necessarily create that much discussion.

That said I want some other views on the matter, your own thoughts and ideas.

As in the first game it's was (for the most part) a dark forest. If you picture the dark forest, it conceals the other side, it blocks the view to it and it's difficult to travel in the dark.
As we now, Alan has issues and is having a hard time, because he doesn't know how to deal with his problems. They might even be very difficult to get into for him.

In the DLC:s the environment is the Dark Place, that paints a good picture on insanity. With it's jumping around from place to place, constantly shifting and chancing, never settling in one place.

As for AWAN I haven't necessary have a picture yet. The desert, could mean loneliness, or if you picture it, it's looks pretty dead place, but it's not. So the setting could mean Alans presumed death in the real world when hes actually not. The red sand makes me think of Mars and Mars is named after the roman god of war, maybe it's a symbol for a starting war, against the dark beings.

That kind of stuff. Do not care if what you think is silly or stupid. Symbols are all man made ideas and can bear different meanings and I prefer crazy people anyway.

Edit: How do I change the thread name, so it says that it may contain possible spoilers from the previous games?

SPOILERS!!!!

This is quite funny actually, in the first game the Dark Presence attacks Alan with sunken cruise ships and at least one airplane. To me the sunken ships means the unfinished travel, or to never success in the goals you make for your self, that you never make anything right. I thought it was amusing, if nothing else.

In AWAN the motel is a home away from home. Someone mentioned that it resembles the motel from the movie Identity with John Cusack. In that movie, if someone tries to get away from the motel, he would always return back to the motel. Like in AWAN.

The observatory is used to find new worlds, at least in the modern times.

The drive in theater. The movie screen is a window into a different world.

Hmmm... interesting.

I don't wanna be buried in a pet cemetary
Last edited by Pickman; 04-28-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Pickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
Pickman

Re: The Alan Wake environments, symbolic meanings

It feels like am talking to my self. Sorry for posting twice and believe me I'm very sorry for my next post...

Alan has a writing BLOCK. You could say that he's a piece of S#§T. Do you know why I'm so sorry now? That's right, Alan is constipated. Oh lord..

The Cauldron Lake represents a toilet bowl and Alan jumping in the lake "sigh" is the journey of a crap traveling through the sewage system. First you must visualize it, then you do it. Alan needs to get his flow back.
But it's not gonna be as simple as that. Terrible things await behind the flood gate.

MR. Scratch!! UUUuuu, I don't like the sound of that.

The Big Bastards! Lord give me strength!

So yes, I'm very, very, very sorry guys, but the truth must come out...among other things. Oh geez, stop it you fool.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Pickman

well me, it's nice talking to my self. A credit to dementia.

Home away from home. The Dark Place, a motel with many doors into many different solutions and outcomes.
The Dark Place, like in DLC:s shows it can be violently shifting and moving in many places and in one place at the same time. The motel is a perfect place to describe the Dark Place. Maybe it's a more contained one, but still.

Doesn't anyone want to say anything. I don't mind writing for my self, but I think that they might shut down my ramblings, if I keep talking to my self.

Please let me have this one tiny corner for my self, oh great and wise moderators.

Or I'm forced to keep invading other threads, the choice is your's.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Nik'sih Pir'kah

Perhaps it's better say something before well...
Anyway, I liked the part in the first game where Alan goes into a tunnel in daylight but before he gets through it happens something and it's night again.

I think there was pretty obvious symbolism for travelling towards other strange dimension (death/dark place??). Bridges collapsing behind us are also pretty clear message: There is no turning back.

I have been also wondering if Alan really is delusional. I mean he lives in the world where his imagination can shape reality. That's crazy! Remedy is good at making main charachters with problems. One has drug addiction and other is a lunatic
Nik'sih Pir'kah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik'sih Pir'kah View Post
Anyway, I liked the part in the first game where Alan goes into a tunnel in daylight but before he gets through it happens something and it's night again.

Yes Nik’sih Pir’kah! I noticed this, too. Oh Man, you are so awesome! I’ve been looking all over this Forum on all of the threads that I’ve encountered and read; and nobody really mentioned this specific event on any topic or thread. At least, as far as I can remember, nobody did.

This event happened when Alan left the well lit room and Alan was on his way back into the Lake near the end of the first game. He was going into a tunnel during daytime and all of a sudden Alan experiences some flashbacks and it was “Night” in a “snap” when he came about. I mean, it was Daytime and then “snap” it was Nighttime! It was like a “time laps” or something but this is in real time. In Alan’s Reality! Alan Wake is not even in the Dark Place when this happened. He is in Reality. I’ve been wondering about this one, too, all this time! What do you think was that all about? Shift in reality? I mean, this is Reality we are talking about, in real time? Not in the Dark Place.

If there was a time laps, then Alan was just standing there experiencing these flashbacks for several hours? Or did he? Was there really a time lapse or was there a shift of time in Reality? But is a “time shift” really possible in Reality? Can time shifts to become shorter and faster in Reality? I mean, this is Alan’s Reality? Or maybe Unreality? – (He! He! He! –Sneaky, sneaky Me!)

And then there is another thing that sounded strange and bizarre. When Alan Wake left the “well lit room” on his way to these tunnels where Day turns into Night in a snap, he was saying:

“When I got out, it was warm and sunny. I had flicked the switch of the Clicker. Had it done this? I didn’t stop to question it.”

Why is Alan saying this? I mean, who does that, question the weather? When you go in and it’s night and dark, and then when you go out it’s daytime, warm and sunny. Nobody questions why it’s warm and sunny. It's a reality. Let alone question it if the Clicker is responsible for the weather being warm and sunny. This is in Alan’s Reality. How can a Clicker be responsible for the weather being warm and sunny? It’s Reality! Or is it?! – How’s that for symbolism?

Cheers!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
SnowboarderX

I think you may be thinking WAY too hard into this symbolism thing.

It's not a lake.... It's an ocean.
SnowboarderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Pickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboarderX
I think you may be thinking WAY too hard into this symbolism thing.
Maybe, why do you care? I'm just having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik'sih Pir'kah
There's no light at the end of the tunnel. Nice.

Speaking of the clicker, has anyone got ideas, why the clicker was inside the dam?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickman View Post
Speaking of the clicker, has anyone got ideas, why the clicker was inside the dam?

Maybe itís the reservoir for the toilet bowl! Alan needs a lot of water to flush out 2 years of constipation. I mean Writers Bloc!

F@ck, 2 Years! Thatí a lot of sh*t! No wonder itís in the Dam! He's gonna' need all of that water to clean up all of his stink!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Pickman

Yeah!! Open the floodgates, Alan is writing again! And it's gonna get ugly!!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
Jill

Quote:
Alan is writing again! And it's gonna get ugly!!
Nice! Awesome! I Like!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Jill

Quote:
And it's gonna get ugly!!

You know Pickman Dude; itís funny because youíve made me remember something. This is exactly what I said when I played Alan Wake for the very first time. When Alan said something about Nightmares and Explanations that are antithetical to the Poetry of Fear and stuff in the beginning of the game, I knew itís going to get ugly and yet I still played and then enjoy it. Isnít that amazing? There is probably this urge inside of us to probe the unknown? Itís like we are all suckers for a really good mystery story? Donít you think? I knew it from the beginning that it was going to happen and it did, but good ugly in a metaphorical and symbolic way.

If Alan Wake could only hear me, I would say F@ck, go for it Man! Give it to them! Make it uglier and better. Because deep down inside their dark ocean green, thatís what everybody really wants, (including me!) Probe the unknown and the mysterious. I really hope ďReturnĒ would be better and uglier (Metaphoric) than ďDeparture.Ē I would like to wish Alan Wake all the best in his long journey through the night back into the Light. Give it to them Alan Dude! (That includes me! Me likes it uglier and better, too!)

Cheers Pickman Dude!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
Pickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill
I knew itís going to get ugly and yet I still played and then enjoy it. Isnít that amazing? There is probably this urge inside of us to probe the unknown? Itís like we are all suckers for a really good mystery story? Donít you think?
Yes. I know that this is a fictional reference, but in the Lovecraft works the antagonist always keep digging deeper into the mystery. Even though they know it's not going to end up good. They always go insane, or kill them self, or both.

Probing the unknown and curiosity is what makes us evolve as a specie.

If you place a box on the table, In front of few people and say that there's something weird and cool inside. I bet you, that every person around the table is wondering and itching to watch inside the box.
Unfortunately for them the box contains the secrets of the universe and they all freak out, their brains pop out from ears and nose, their eyes melt and drips down on their cheeks.
All this, while the suits watch closely behind the blast window and observe the event. Take that you stupid monkeys!! I'll teach you to satisfy your curiosity!

Old 05-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Pickman

I was thinking, about the three girls and I remembered The Norns from the Norse mythology.

Damn internet, gives information that varies, depending where you look.

OK. One place says that, they are faith, time, destiny

Other says, The past, present, future

I think it's the former, after all they weave the destiny and I vaguely remember reading some Swedish book, about the old myths. Even though my swedish is not so good, I think I've managed to read it reasonably good.

I'm not sure how this relates to anything, but if anyone knows the Norse Mythology way better than I do. I would love to hear if there's anything that might interest us, relating to AWAN story.
After all we know Remedy loves to use Norse Mythology in the games.

Looking deeper into trinity, I found Carl Jung and hes thinking, that trinity symbolizes masculinity and looking deeper into that I've found the anima and animus.
My English isn't that great, but what I think I understand is that, men has subconscious feminine thoughts and vice versa. Well I can just copy paste the Wikipedia stuff.

The anima and animus, in Carl Jung's school of analytical psychology, are the two primary anthropomorphic archetypes of the unconscious mind, as opposed to both the theriomorphic and inferior-function of the shadow archetypes, as well as the abstract symbol sets that formulate the archetype of the Self.
The anima and animus are described by Jung as elements of his theory of the collective unconscious, a domain of the unconscious that transcends the personal psyche. In the unconscious of the male, it finds expression as a feminine inner personality: anima; equivalently, in the unconscious of the female it is expressed as a masculine inner personality: animus.

The anima (animus) can be identified as the totality of the unconscious feminine psychological qualities that a male possesses or the masculine ones possessed by the female. It is an archetype of the collective unconscious and not an aggregate of father or mother, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles or teachers, though these aspects of the personal unconscious can influence for good or ill the person.

Because a man's sensitivity must often be repressed, the anima is one of the most significant autonomous complexes of all. It is said to manifest itself by appearing in dreams. It also influences a man's interactions with women and his attitudes toward them and vice versa for females and the animus. Jung said that "the encounter with the shadow is the 'apprentice-piece' in the individual's development...that with the anima is the 'masterpiece'".Jung viewed the anima process as being one of the sources of creative ability.

I'll leave you to your thoughts now, if come up with something, or find errors in my writing. Please feel free to insult, or enlighten me.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Pickman

So if the past is in the motel (The Dark Place) if I were to believe what I have written here. The first lady is fixing the car in the motel. Fixing the past mistakes.

The second lady is present. Looking for a new world, a way out.

The third lady, the future, is getting back with Alice.

KABOW!!

Ok time to go to sleep you crazy bastard. Bye.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
Pickman

OK, so little more about the three faith women. I don't know what to call them? Screw it they are norns.

Urd - Faith and death. Well her life is in the motel and she is the only girl that dies.

Verdandi - Present. Nothing new.

Skuld - Future. Also nothing new, except I didn't mention that oddly enough the girl is covered in the dark mist. Very much like the future, well maybe not in dark mist...hopefully.

Sorry for repeating stuff.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Pickman

OK, so this gets into the characters a little. The thread title isn't good to describe the things I really want to talk about.

Getting into Alice for a second here.
As some may know, my theory, or speculation about the story is that it's a story of Alan and Alice, projected through the characters in the game. Well it's not just about that, but it's in the center of the story me thinks.

So Cynthia Weaver (the lamp lady), in some crazy way. Is one aspect of Alice (fear of dark)and in the end of the first game, Rose (the fan) is the new lamp lady.
If you think of it from the A&A relationship point of view, the old Alice from the now past, is transformed into young and enthusiastic fan, at the end of the story. After Alans personal growth he did after dealing some past problems he had about him self in the departure story.

If you think of it from the fear of the dark p.o.v. Alices fear of the dark is a very old problem and now it is gained some fresh new heights from the visit to the Dark Place...

I'm just looking things from a different angle. After two years of pondering what the story is, I personally have lost some interest in the speculation. Grinding the story over and over. In time I will also loose interest in this too, so don't worry, give it some time and all this will just magically disappear from the universe.
I'm already starting to feel, like I'm losing interest in this. It wont be long now folks, I've gots to find me a even crazier perspective. Until then enjoy the small amount of crazy I have, It's gonna get bigger!