Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > General > Other Gaming

Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
MikkiRMD

Remedy
I want YOU in my X-Com squad

So, here's a thing I thought I'd do, just for kicks:

Like all right-thinking people across the world, I'm gonna be playing the hell out of X-Com as soon as it unlocks on my Steam account, which is going to happen in a couple of days.

I figured I'd make it more fun and name some of the characters after you guys -- your real name, your forum username, your Twitter handle, or whatever, your choice. To be clear: I'm posting this on our forum because that's the convenient way for me to do it, but this is open to everybody on the internet.

Because I can't do this for everybody (I'll probably have to cap this at six at a time, since that's how many soldiers I can take on a single mission), I need a way to limit the number of recruits to something manageable. Therefore, I will be accepting submissions from people for this.

So, here's what I'm looking for: Make me laugh. Tell me something cool. The things that I find the funniest, or most interesting, or just most memorable, get first preference. Could be a story, could be a link to something. Hell, could be a bribe. For this thing, which I am doing on my own time and just for shits and giggles, I am completely corruptible. So why should I pick you for humanity's last line of defense? Let me know!

However, be advised that if I pick you, whatever it is you send me, I will be posting it to this thread at the same time as I announce who my brave soldiers are going to be so others know why I picked you. (Also, let me know if you want to be a girl soldier or a boy soldier, because I can customize that, as well as some other aspects of the character's appearance.)

In this thread, I'll keep you posted on how these brave, brave individuals do -- what they get up to, whether they live or die. There will be action. There will be drama. There might be romance. Who knows? We'll see how it plays out. I'll promise to try to keep them alive the best I can, but, you know, the mission must come first, and this is X-Com -- you know not everybody's gonna make it. I'll get some screenshots online; maybe even video, if I start to feel like I really have to complicate my life far more than I should.

If/when the characters die, I'll go back to the pool of potential recruits and move on to the next candidate. I can't tell you how often I'll post updates, it really depends on, you know, how often I get a chance to play, but I'll do my best to make it all the way to the end, whether this ends in victory over the insidious alien hordes, or in bitter defeat, with the Earth in ashes.

To submit, you can PM me, or simply e-mail me at mikkirmdxcom@gmail.com. (Please don't e-mail me at my work address about this -- I'm kinda trying to keep this separate from, y'know, the actual job. =)) Please DON'T post any submissions to this thread -- I have no way of knowing how many of them I'm going to get, and on the off chance that I get a ton of them (this being the internet, you never can tell), I'd rather not have this thread get flooded. (Other posts and discussion about this are quite welcome!)

Hop to it, people. The Earth needs us.

Edit: Oh, crap, I screwed up the e-mail address. It's correct now. Sorry about that. SHUT UP I'M A COMPETENT MILITARY COMMANDER

Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD
Last edited by MikkiRMD; 10-10-2012 at 01:22 PM.
MikkiRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
MikkiRMD

Remedy
Re: I want YOU in my X-Com squad

I have a bunch of submissions, but there's room for more. Keep them coming; I won't pick the first six until I can actually start playing the game!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiRMD View Post
I have a bunch of submissions, but there's room for more.
More!? Just how many are you planning to sacrifice?
Remember that you do have to equip us with guns before deployment!

Remedy's currently known projects:
Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Pickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiRMD
I have a bunch of submissions, but there's room for more.
Oh God! I've made a huge mistake!

I don't wanna be buried in a pet cemetary
Pickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry View Post
More!? Just how many are you planning to sacrifice?
Remember that you do have to equip us with guns before deployment!
I want a good bunch of recruits to choose from, and anyway, assuming that old X-Com magic is still there, I figure at least one of the original six -- whoever they might end up being, I don't know yet, exactly -- won't even make it past mission one. =)

Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
MikkiRMD

Remedy

"This game will unlock in approximately 15 hours." That'd be about 3am, my time. I'm probably not gonna be able to kick this thing off until Friday evening. =)

Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

How much for a clone?

Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Old 10-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
MikkiRMD

Remedy

I think it'll be one character per person, unless I run out of recruits. =)

Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
yogibbear

I just spent 10 hrs in Classic Ironman and killed off 30 soldiers....

And GOT WIPED. All started going wrong once the mutons turned up...

Oh well I loved it! Feels just like the original having to learn from your mistakes.

Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!
yogibbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
yogibbear

Mikki you're going into my 2nd game...

Heavy
Name: Mikki 'Pinky' RMD
Armour: Hot pink.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Glorious!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Okay, people, it's X-Com time! Here's my initial squad of people:

Morry

Morry said he'd send me a Danger 5 DVD. Bribery works! He's on the team.

To be clear, though, that ain't gonna guarantee he actually stays on the team. To quote the Soviet Union's esteemed Ambassador to the United States, Ivan Drago, "if he dies, he dies."

Kitt

Kitt sent me a link to this. As much as I enjoy spastic bears, that didn't quite do it for me, but she also included the link to this, which made me just laugh and laugh and laugh, so she's in. (Yes. I'm kinda easy.)

"Don't even think you can deny how fabulous a soldier I'd be," she added. She's right, I can't. I just can't.

Pickman

I'm not quite sure why I picked Pickman, except there was something about him that screamed "pick me, pick me!" He sent me this:

I guarantee you, the soldier with my name Pickman. Will start rambling about the poetic meaning of the lonely soupcan on the park bench. While others are fighting the aliens on the background.

Pack Chocolate bars, instead of ammo clips for the missions. Make gun noises with my mouth ( because I don't have ammo). My grenade is a made of wood and painted to look like a grenade, because I lost my grenade.

Returns to look at the soupcan, and theorise it's meaning. Wanders of into distance mumbling about the soupcan and becoming M.I.A.

I think we need somebody who's absolutely, hopelessly deranged on the squad, so Pickman's definitely got that spot. I can only hope he's overestimating his lack of preparedness, or he's going to have a pretty damn short career, but we'll see!

Jaden

Jaden's own words:

I'm not going to lie, characters with my name often ends up dead within the first five minutes. Or they walk into an enemy attack, holding the weapon the wrong way, while loudly asking who the enemy is. While I would make a terrible solider...

...I hear you accept bribes (see attached)

In other words "Oh look distracting thingy!"

Okay, by her own admission, she's a terrible soldier, buuuuut, on the other hand... Barney the dinosaur's mentally disabled cousin, with a fez on, blocking a phaser blast from the USS Enterprise with a lightsaber?

Welcome to the squad. Clearly, that's the kind of thing that'll help us beat the aliens.

Rob Tinkezione

Looking at the group this far, I think it's obvious that we need to get someone vaguely competent in, which is why I'm going with Tinkezione. In his own words:

I'm writing this from this goddamn shithole I recall being called the Crown of Scania. Yesterday evening something came down from the sky and as need-to-know-basis as everything is, we were sent to investigate. It turned out that a gigantic aircraft, or what the hell do I know what it is crashlanded dangerously close to the nuclear power plant just a few kilometers north of Malmo, you know the place them other vikings in Dkenmardk(?) did not like when it was built, even though it was built on Swedish soil. Whiners, I say! It was twilight when we rushed in, pretty much without knowing what's going on. I was on the second team right flank and half of us literally peed ourselves when we heard what happened to the A team quite soon after they disappeared inside the exposed bulkhead. First individual gunshots, then burst fire, then chaotic screaming, more burst fire, which slowly faded off, as if the whole team would have just been ripped apart, one by one. Pigs being slaughtered made less terrifying noises in my childhood, for what I recall from the farm I grew up at. One soldier from our team broke off, apparently to save the other team members and disappeared without a sound after entering the bulkhead and I'm not too positive about what may have happened to him.

We dug in for a while to scout what's going on, and of all things those Swedes - them guys I think you Finns remember the best as World War two deserters had decided to keep whatever is in here out of their city. They brought an army to lock us in with this thing that fell from the sky, them bastards. We didn't have any other choice but dig ourselves inside the nuclear plant. The ongoing chaos has made the workers abandon the plant and it's been silent now for a couple of days. Not more than that, according to the lack of chaos on the streets, I think people will get angry within 3-4 days, maybe within a week if things go wrong...talk about shortcomings of the modern society. Anyway, we're dug in the nuclear plant and that does not make us feel any more comfortable. We hear noises from the outside on the night time and two of the remaining seven soldiers in this team that have gone investigating haven't come back, the other one was sent to the shoreline to see if there is a sneaky way out of this and the other one went to investigate the gates and Swedish army blockade. Battery is dying, I'll try to reach a couple of more people before it dies. Think I'll try to scout a bit today evening although I don't really like what's out there, talk to you later.

//rob

Also, Tinke used to work at Remedy as our QA guy until he defected to Sweden and went to work for Ubisoft Massive, where he is currently working on, and I quote from his Facebook profile, "some damn cool shit."

Kalle Kaivola

And, finally, my good friend Kalle Kaivola, who is bribing me with hamburgers. Incidentally, he's also the Director of Development at Rovio, and while I haven't started the game up yet, I will do my best to make sure his character's face, or failing that, his armor, is as Angry Birdlike as I can possibly make it.

I hope he dies first, and I hope it takes a while... Nah, he's a great guy!

Seriously, I hope it's horribly painful.

So! That's the gang I'm going to start off with. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. When there are casualties, or if I need to send new guys into the field because these are recovering from wounds or something, I will pick new recruits from my pool...

...and seriously, that will happen! While I will make every effort to keep these guys alive, one of the rules I've set for myself is that I'm not allowed to get into that horrible "no, I gotta load my saved game because this mission didn't go perfectly" spiral, so there's a real good chance the first slots open up right after the first mission.

So, by all means, keep those submissions coming in!

I'll keep you posted on how things proceed.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Oh, look, there's an Ironman option, meaning that I can't load a previous save even if I want to -- anything I do, I'm completely stuck with that.

That's amazingly appropriate for what I'm doing, so I'm gonna go with the Normal difficulty, with Ironman on.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Okay, here we go, but let me just get a couple of things out of the way before I begin: yeah, you can have six guys on a mission, but you need to upgrade a few things first. In the beginning, you can have only four. So not everybody got on the first mission, unfortunately, and it begins before you can do any customization. Since it has two men and two women as your squad, the women were pretty much decided by default, and I picked the guys at random.

Also, I cannot change the flags on the characters, that's not one of the customization options -- so I know they're going to be wrong for some of the people. No big deal, but just so that you know, that's not me dissing you or anything.

FROM THE X-COM COMMANDER'S DESK: AFTER ACTION REPORT #1

Mission location: Paris
Mission name: IT'S A SECRET (also, I forgot to write it down)

Squad members: Morry, Jaden, Rob Tinkezione, Kitt

[TRANSCRIPT FROM SKYRANGER PASSENGER COMPARTMENT MICROPHONE]

Pickman: Sometimes I look at birds, and I think, what's that bird thinking about? And the bird could be thinking about anything. About flying, maybe, or eating worms. What do birds think about? They aren't very smart, or maybe they just pretend to be stupid. Who knows? But then I think it could be a mechanical bird, and that wouldn't be thinking at all, it's just that I wouldn't know the difference. Because I don't know if there's a brain in there or just some kind of a clockwork that makes it move like a bird even though it's just an automaton.

Tinkezione: Uh-huh, yep. That's really fascinating.

Pickman: Sometimes I think I should open the bird's head up and see what's in there, brain or gears. But if it's a real bird, then it's murder. It's only all right to cut into its head if it's not a real bird. But how can you tell before you cut? I don't want to hurt any birds. I don't want to hurt anybody.

Morry: Um.

Kitt: Well, that's great. That, you know. That you don't want to hurt anybody.

Pickman: We're flying now, but we're not inside a bird.

Morry: ...should this guy be in here with us?

Tinkezione: Aw, put a rifle in his hand and throw him out there, he'll snap right out of it.

Pickman (whispers): Bang bang bang bang bang. Somebody got hurt.

Tinkezione: Uh, X-Com Central? Can we get, I don't know, Jaden instead? I'm not sure this is a good day to give Pickman a gun.

Pickman: I agree.

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

The squad set down without incident. Tasked with searching and eliminating any and all extraterrestial combatants in the area, they started to move ahead through the streets slowly and carefully. The torrential downpour was more than the city's sewers could handle, and water ran freely down the streets, coming up to the shins. The rain also reduced visibility to mush. So, you know, good times!

Moving from cover to cover, the squad went slowly, checking corners, making sure they were clear before moving on. The atmosphere was tense. This was the first time they were in the field together. No one had ever faced an alien invader before and lived to tell the tale.

Of course, they didn't get far before they ran into four Sectoids. Lots of panicky firing. Somebody may have pooped their pants. Rookies, you know. It's just how it goes.

And Kitt got shot up pretty badly. She saw the bad guys, moved up closer, took a shot, missed, and then they returned fire. Refreshing plasma in the face? That'll hurt the coming winter!

For a while there I was sure she'd die, because she was outnumbered, but luckily, there were only four of them in total, and I managed to get all of the bad guys before she got hit again. Morry got one, Rob Tinkezione managed to bag four. Kitt didn't hit anybody, but what with being wounded, she gets a pass on that. Jaden let plenty of rounds fly, but despite a fairly impressive display of indiscriminate autofire, she only managed to wing one of the bad guys a little bit. Maybe she was just distracted by her own armor, which I have made just about as pink/purple as it can be, just because of that Barney picture. Still, at least she made a lot of noise and raised the insurance premiums of Parisians everywhere, so there's that.

Kitt'll need to spend some time healing up, so I've got Pickman lined up to take her place for the next mission.

Kitt: Can we take off yet?

Morry: Oh, man! The way you mowed them down--

Tinkezione: I know!

Kitt: Seriously, guys, this really hurts.

Morry: And then she was like--

Tinkezione: [imitates a machine gun]

Morry: All the windows!

Jaden: Hey, at least I wounded one of the bad guys.

Morry: It was a great shot.

Jaden: It was an okay shot. Your shot was great, Morry. Boom, his gray ass went down!

Tinkezione: Man, all that water, though. My boots are soaking wet.

Kitt: I was in the water for like a half an hour.

Jaden: Yeah, and all that sewage? Jesus, Paris isn't too romantic when the sewers overflow.

Morry: Who knew, right?

Kitt: I almost drowned. Because I fell down and I couldn't move my legs. Because I was shot. It was freezing and I think I'm still losing blood.

Jaden: You guys were great.

Morry: No, you were great.

Kitt: The blood is coming from this hole that plasma bolt made in me. I had to fight off a rat with my bare hands. It was trying to build a nest in there.

Jaden: No, c'mon, you were great.

Morry: No, you were.

Jaden: No, you were.

Kitt: Can we take off and go to the hospital yet?

Tinkezione: Hey, hey, hey, you know what? We're all great.

Jaden: Aww.

Morry: I love being friends with you guys. You're so cool and fun to hang out with.

Tinkezione: Group hug!

Kitt: Oh God, I think my pancreas just plopped out of the hole.

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

So this is where we stand after the first mission:

Squaddie Rob Tinkezione: 3 kills. Assigned to be a Heavy.
Squaddie Morry: 1 kill. Assigned to be a Sniper.
Rookie Jaden: No kills.
Rookie Kitt: No kills. Wounded; estimated 9 days until recovery.

New research started: Alien weapons
New manufacturing order: Medi-kits.

Probably not gonna do updates after every single mission, but since this was the first one, I wanted to get the ball rolling.

Last edited by MikkiRMD; 10-12-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
MikkiRMD

Remedy

So, I did my second mission. Turns out I kinda had to report on this one.

FROM THE X-COM COMMANDER'S DESK: AFTER ACTION REPORT #2

Mission location: Rosario, Argentina
Mission name: OPERATION CRYPTIC SLEEP

Squad members: Morry, Jaden, Rob Tinkezione, Pickman

A construction site in Argentina. Alien abductions. Business as usual, right?

I had the other guys hang back, but I sent Jaden up ahead a little bit. There was a convenient cargo container there, and I thought if I could get her on top of it quickly, I'd have a good bird's-eye view of what was going on. I couldn't get up there in one round, but I could get her right next to it, so the next round she could climb up.

She made it to the corner. That was when she spotted the two Sectoids that were a little further up ahead, mostly shielded by an incomplete wall.

With a sinking feeling, I realized there wasn't anything I could do about it. I'd been stupid about it -- made as classic an X-Com mistake as there is, really; I got overconfident, and moved too far, too quickly. Now she was out there, unable to do anything to save herself.

I could move other characters up there, but they'd be just as exposed as she was, and because of the layout of the construction site, I couldn't really get at the Sectoids without exposing myself -- not in one round, anyway. I knew the enemies were there, but I couldn't get a shot at them.

The best I could do was move Pickman up next to her -- I could get him mostly into cover, so I was pretty sure he'd be safe, and at least he could shoot back... on the next round, anyway. Best case scenario, they'd miss her, and I could have Jaden and Pickman take care of both of the aliens. If they didn't get her, I could still turn this into a big win.

If they didn't get her.

So I made my moves, and then there was nothing I could do except see how it played out.

[TRANSCRIPT FROM TACTICAL COMMS]

Jaden: I'm in position. [pause] Oh, shit.

Tinkezione: Pull back, pull back.

Jaden: They see me.

Pickman: They have eyes! Eyes are good for seeing things.

Morry: Jaden, get out of there! Jesus Christ, move!

Jaden: I can't--

[static; Jaden screaming]

Pickman: No -- no gears! It's on me! GET IT OFF ME! GET IT OFF ME!

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

They cut her down, the bastards. She went down, bright pink armor shattered by a burst of green fire.

The rest of it was pretty quick. Pickman got over his freak-out and, in a moment of admirable efficiency (perhaps motivated by the fact that Jaden died right next to him?), took down one of the Sectoids with his rifle. Morry sprayed one's brains all over a bare concrete wall. Tinkezione's LMG took out two.

And then it was done. Just four Sectoids again, that's all. I should've been able to take them without too much trouble, but I got greedy. Jaden paid the price.

Here's where I stand right now:

Squaddie Rob Tinkezione (Heavy): 5 kills (+2 since last count).
Squaddie Morry (Sniper): 2 kills (+1 since last count).
Squaddie Pickman: 1 kill. Assigned into Assault.
Rookie Kitt: No kills. Wounded; estimated 9 days until recovery.
Rookie Jaden: No kills. Killed in action.

Kitt's still out of it, so I'll have to get Kalle Kaivola into the action next -- and after that, I'll have to go back into the submissions...

Last edited by MikkiRMD; 10-13-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Fixed the image links.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
MikkiRMD

Remedy

I'll need to work out some kind of a reasonable system here -- I can't report on every damn mission, or this'll take forever. I guess I should just do highlights, or do this in digest format, or something.

Still, I'm having tons of fun! What a fantastic game. An absolute pleasure to play.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Jaden

Quote:

Wait a second...

Quote:
I should've been able to take them without too much trouble, but I got greedy. Jaden paid the price.

Quote:
I should've been able to take them without too much trouble

Quote:
I should've been able to
O_O

CURSE YOU MIKKO RAUTALAHTI! *shakes fist in air* I WILL GET YOU IN THE ZOMBIE EXPANSION PACK OF THE GAME, IF THEY EVER MAKE ONE, WHICH THEY PROBABLY WILL...BECAUSE ZOMBIES ARE COOOOLLLL-*dies*

The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
Pickman

I think I will always carry a piece of Jaden with me, after what happened...I think I will keep it in my pocket.

It's awesome, what you are doing. I love it!

Love the game too. Things started to go south very fast for me, after a couple of hours of play. Like old times, the game is gonna kick my ass over and over again.

I don't wanna be buried in a pet cemetary
Pickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Damn it, all of these missions feel too significant for me to ignore. I'm hoping it'll level off a little once I get past all of these firsts, or this'll become a horrible time sink for me. =)

FROM THE X-COM COMMANDER'S DESK: AFTER ACTION REPORT #3

Mission location: UFO Crash Site, Germany
Mission name: OPERATION SWIFT PARAMOUR

Squad members: Morry, Rob Tinkezione, Pickman, Kitt

As you can see, I didn't have to resort to using Kalle after all, because Kitt managed to heal up before the next mission came up. Yay!

So, I shot down a UFO.

Bastard thing violated my airspace, I sent my guy out to slap it down like a fly. Right now, there's one fine fighter jockey in my officers' lounge, drinking for free tonight and for the rest of his goddamn life for being the first human to shoot down an actual alien spaceship. He could be killed tomorrow, for all anybody knows; the least we can do is make sure he's good and drunk when he's not on duty. The nations of the Earth can afford it. Hell, I'll let him retire right now if he wants to.

The UFO came down on the border of Germany, and it came down hot and hard. It plowed a ravine half a mile long, and set fire to everything that would burn. The place looked like God'd eaten a triple helping of five-alarm chili and rained down fire and brimstone. That rustic old German countryside hasn't looked this bad since WW2.

And the UFO, that real goddamn actual flying saucer? Still mostly in one piece. They build those things to last, I'll give them that much.

My guys went in to secure the site.

Morry: Good to have you back, Kitt.

Kitt: Wish I could say the same.

Tinkezione: Don't worry, nothing's gonna survive a crash like that.

Morry: I dunno, they say it's still intact.

Tinkezione: No way. This thing's gonna be a cakewalk.

Kitt: The last time we had a cakewalk, I ended up with half my internal organs cooked to medium rare and the other half hanging outside my body, so forgive me if I'm a little skeptical.

Tinkezione: Pfft. Quit your bitching. You're still in one piece, ain't you?

Kitt: Unlike Jaden.

[pause]

Morry: Aw, c'mon.

Tinkezione: No, man, she's right. That was a bad scene. Headcase over there hasn't been the same since.

Kitt: How you doing, Pickman?

Pickman: [mumbles]

Kitt: They got you lugging a shotgun now, huh?

Pickman: It's my key. I open things with it. [pause] I look inside things now.

Morry: Nothing wrong with him that regular medication, a couple of decades of therapy, and an ice pick lobotomy couldn't cure.

Kitt: ...so good to be back.

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

So, they went in. Sectoids tried to give my squad trouble, but they didn't stand a chance. We wiped the floor with them. Kitt finally got a kill, and Pickman blasted a Sectoid in half at close range. That shotgun's serious business when he hits.

I was glad to find that the Sectoids weren't really a problem for me this time around. The only one who gave me any trouble was the one who was too scared to peek out from behind cover, and when he finally did, the second-to-last thing to go through his head was regret... followed an instant later by a bullet.

I saw something new, though -- an Alien Shock Trooper, who almost managed to kill Morry. Morry was in cover, and a good distance away from the enemy, but the Shock Trooper still got him badly enough to almost kill him.

But almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, and in the end, Morry got a bead on him with his sniper rifle and put a hole in him bigger than any you can find in the plot of Prometheus, which, for the record, is goddamn big.

That settled him right down.

Almost a perfect mission -- I took down all the aliens, I got a buttload of new alien stuff to research, and nobody got killed. Morry's wounded, but he'll recover.

Here's where I stand right now:

Corporal Rob Tinkezione (Heavy): 6 kills (+1 since last count).
Squaddie Morry (Sniper): 4 kills (+2 since last count). Wounded; estimated 15 days until recovery.
Squaddie Pickman (Assault): 2 kills (+1 since last count).
Squaddie Kitt: 1 kill. Assigned into Support.

With Morry out, I think Kalle's probably going to have to step up for the next mission, unless things stay real quiet for almost two weeks of game time. That's pretty unlikely, but we'll see.

Last edited by MikkiRMD; 10-13-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Fixed the images.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

I'm loving these updates! The suspense is immense. I hope each time that my forum buddies and I will make it through the mission. Great work on the dialogue, too.

PS. For the record, it wasn't me. I don't go around pooping pants.

Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #21
MikkiRMD

Remedy

This one is short and sweet.

FROM THE X-COM COMMANDER'S DESK: AFTER ACTION REPORT #4

Mission location: Acapulco, Mexico
Mission name: OPERATION FROZEN STAR

Squad members: Rob Tinkezione, Pickman, Kitt, Kalle Kaivola

Aliens were trying to abduct people in Acapulco. It didn't sit too well with us. What with Morry still laid up, we had to settle for Kalle, who now made his debut with the squad. It was... unexpected.

Tinkezione: New guy, huh? What's your name?

[pause]

Kitt: Hey, buddy? You with us?

[pause]

Kitt: Can he hear us in that helmet?

Tinkezione: Hello?

[pause]

Tinkezione: Oh, fantastic. I can see this guy's gonna be so useful. Is he even awake in there?

Kitt: Just leave him alone.

Tinkezione: Hell, no, I gotta get his name, at least. [there's a metallic clanging sound] WHAT'S YOUR NAME?

Kitt: You shouldn't--

[the metallic clanging sound gets louder]

Tinkezione: Hey, you wanna wake up and kill some aliens with us, motherf--

[a sudden rustle]

Tinkezione: [a pained grunt]

Kalle Kaivola: Piggies.

Tinkezione: [choked voice] What the hell! Get off me, man!

Kalle Kaivola: [breathes heavily] Piggies. Not aliens. We kill piggies.

Kitt: Let him go!

Kalle Kaivola: Piggies make me mad! WE KILL PIGGIES!

Kitt: Okay, we got it, already! Let him go!

Tinkezione: [very choked voice] Okay, fine! Piggies. Piggies!

[there's a thump, as if something heavy was being dropped]

Tinkezione: [pants] Holy... holy shit. This guy's just too goddamn angry.

Kitt: You okay?

Tinkezione: [coughs] He's a psycho. Total Section 8 material.

Pickman: [sudden, hysterical laughter]

Tinkezione: Shut up.

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

So, yeah. Kalle Kaivola and his magnificent anger management issues joined me on this mission, and despite being a rookie, he took down three of the four aliens, and pretty much in record time. I totally didn't expect that. Dude was just a complete death machine.

He may be delusional and in the throes of some kind of a weird psychosis, but when it comes to killing aliens, he's pretty much got it down to an art.

A kind of an amazing round, really. Bang, bang, bang, bang, everybody's dead.

And here's the stats:

Corporal Rob Tinkezione (Heavy): 6 kills.
Squaddie Morry (Sniper): 4 kills. Wounded; estimated 7 days until recovery.
Squaddie Pickman (Assault): 2 kills.
Squaddie Kitt (Support): 2 kills (+1 since last count).
Rookie Kalle Kaivola: 3 kills. Assigned into Assault.

Last edited by MikkiRMD; 10-13-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Fixed the images.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #22
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

Wow, go Kalle!

Mikki, when you get around to fighting Chrysalids and I end up getting impregnated...
http://youtu.be/tbmy4u2oL2E

Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #23
MarkusRMD

Remedy

You should definitely be expanding your active squad to 5 members, and to keep them all healthy, and a good mix of classes you will probably need 8-10 guys, so more characters for this story needed. You can leave me out tho as if that was your Kalle depiction I am not sure it will do our working relationship much good to have me included

Looking forward for the first alien capture story.
MarkusRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Sure, Markus, but you should bear in mind that these are literally the first four missions of the game I have done. I can't expand the squad at all until somebody becomes a sergeant, and the promotions just aren't coming that quickly for me -- I'm not exactly progressing at the same rate as somebody else who has put in a comparable number of hours, because the write-ups take time.

I may have dug quite a hole for myself here.

As for my depiction of you, that would be... quite different! I have some ideas about that, but of course I'm not putting in anybody who doesn't apply for it. =)

Last edited by MikkiRMD; 10-13-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #25
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Okay, so, new recruits! After the mission I just played (which I won't report on, since nothing terribly dramatic happened and I can't keep writing about every single mission I do), both Rob Tinkezione and Kalle Kaivola are in the hospital. Nobody got killed, but what with Morry also out of the action, I'm now down to two fully functional squad members, and that means I have to dip into the pool of raw recruits for the first time.

Here are the ones I've chosen:

Yogi "Ted" Bear

He's our own yogibbear on the forum, of course, and his rationale for why he should be added on the squad was simply "BECAUSE I'M ADDING YOU!"

That's fair enough, son, you're in.

Zhinarkos

Zhinarkos is one of our forum regulars as well, of course, but that's not the reason I chose him -- it's because he sent the link to this absolutely fascinating TED Talk by Barry Schwartz, who discusses why too much freedom of choice can actually be a bad thing.

He's articulating a lot of thoughts I've had on the subject, and that has direct parallels to game design. Sometimes you get that option paralysis; in Skyrim, for example (which, to be clear, is a great game, and I love it), I often find myself avoiding the main quests, or any quests in general not just because exploring the world instead of doing quests is fun, but also because choosing which one to do next seems too complicated. I need to make a conscious decision about it, and that means that it's just easier to go down the path of least resistance and just end up running around the world picking flowers and fighting random monsters. (I can do quests, obviously, it's just that I encounter this resistance in myself that I need to put some willpower into if I want to overcome it.)

Watch this, and think about what you're really hearing the next time you hear people complaining about video games, for instance.

Very interesting stuff!

So, Yogi "Ted" Bear and Zhinarkos, my latest recruits. Welcome on board!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #26
MikkiRMD

Remedy

I was just told that you couldn't see the images on the posts. Sorry about that, apparently you had to be logged in to my Dropbox account to see them, and of course that was no good. They should be visible now -- I had no idea that people couldn't see Jaden getting killed, or Kalle's bright red Angry Birds armor, or Pickman's completely sane hairstyle, and so forth. =) Sorry about that, but we should be good to go now!

Old 10-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
Kitt

Volunteer Moderator

What a thrilling narrative this is! And too bad I got downed in the first mission; I have this habit of dropping my intestines everywhere when I get nervous.

RIP Jaden. You will be missed/can I have your stuff

<---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!
Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #28
Jaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
What a thrilling narrative this is! And too bad I got downed in the first mission; I have this habit of dropping my intestines everywhere when I get nervous.

Quote:
RIP Jaden. You will be missed/can I have your stuff
XD You might be a little late, I think Pickman has already claimed it as his own and began storing it in his pockets....So technically I'm not dead-dead, I'm there in spirit...Until he dies.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
MikkiRMD

Remedy

The month finally turned, and I got my first funding from the Council. I'm not doing too great on that -- I don't have anywhere near the satellite coverage I need yet, so the money I have coming in isn't a lot. Still, it'll help; I started work on the alien containment facility so I can start trying to bring these scumbags in alive.

Anyway, before I could finish the containment facility, the board lit up like a Christmas tree and wouldn't you know it, it was Abduction Day all over the world again, and of course it's up to me to deal with it.

So, two new guys on this mission. (Morry actually finished his recovery and became just available before this mission, but I chose to go with Yogi and Zhinarkos anyway). Also, I could have upgraded my squad size to five now, but I, uh, kinda forgot, because I am a the most competent military genius in the history of mankind. I've got that taken care of now, but that didn't help on this mission.)

Here we go:

FROM THE X-COM COMMANDER'S DESK: AFTER ACTION REPORT #5

Mission location: Rosario, Argentina
Mission name: OPERATION DYING CHANT

Squad members: Pickman, Kitt, Yogi "Ted" Bear, Zhinarkos

(In the picture above, that's Zhinarkos on the left and Yogi on the right. It's also worth noting that Yogi starts out as a Support sergeant, because I got one as a reward from a previous mission. That's good news; otherwise half of my squad would consist of completely raw recruits.)

Kitt: Great to have you on board, Sergeant. We've got half the squad laid up right now.

Yogi Bear: Call me Ted.

Kitt: Okay, Ted. I'm Kitt. This is Pickman.

[pause]

Yogi Bear: Does he ever blink?

Kitt: He's a little high-strung.

Yogi Bear: Well, glad to meet the both of you. Who's the quiet guy?

Kitt: Oh, I thought he was with you.

Yogi Bear: Hey.

Zhinarkos: Oh, sorry. I'm Zhinarkos.

Kitt: You okay? You seem a little preoccupied.

Zhinarkos: Yeah, just... just thinking about my wife and kids. [pause] She, uh... she just gave birth last week. You wanna see a picture? [pause] Twins. All I want to do is get back to them, you know? That's something to fight for.

Yogi Bear: That's a good-looking family, son.

Zhinarkos: Sometimes I think the world's not going to survive this. But then I think about them. I mean, I gotta come back for them, right? Who's gonna take care of them if I don't? They keep me going.

Pickman: Coffee keeps me going.

Kitt: He, uh... He just eats it out of the can sometimes.

Pickman: It makes my teeth brown! [laughs]

Zhinarkos: Um.

Yogi Bear: You're in good hands, son. Just keep your head down.

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

Rosario, Argentina. Not the finest place in the world, as far as my track record is concerned. It's where we lost the first of us. Jaden Morretti went to Rosario, and she never came back.

Another damn construction site, too. Pickman was visibly nervous. The squad started advancing. This time, they were careful. Nobody wanted a replay of what happened before. Yogi Bear and Zhinarkos seemed to pick up on the vibe. Nobody said anything; it was all hand signals and tension.

They only got barely inside the site's perimeter when Sectoids started crawling out of the woodwork. A pair of them. Then another pair. They skittered around, but hadn't spotted us yet.

The squad opened fire. A Sectoid burst apart, dark-green slime spattering the sand. Another one got hit bad, but didn't go down. One of them started doing that weird telepathy shit, a nimbus of purple energy swirling in the air and enveloping the injured one. Healing him, maybe?

They didn't know what it was; they didn't care. Kitt took aim on the one wielding the power, squeezed off a couple of rounds.

The alien's head popped like a balloon. The one being healed twitched and fell down like a wet bag of flour.

The mood shifted. The squad was mowing through them without even breaking a sweat. These bastards were going to pay tonight. They were going to regret ever coming to Rosario in the first place.

Zhinarkos advanced towards the enemy, staying in cover. He took aim, downed the fourth -- and last -- Sectoid. It was a beautiful shot, a textbook maneuver. He looked back to the others and whooped.

Then something moved on his flank, behind the cargo container. It was big. It didn't touch the ground. And it wasn't alone.

Nobody had ever seen a Floater before; half biological, half flying machine, they looked like something from a nightmare. Everybody'd thought the flank was clear. There had been no movement there earlier. The Floaters had stayed put, let them advance, sacrificing the Sectoids just so they could lure the humans out.

Nobody had ever seen a Floater before. It was the last thing Zhinarkos saw.

Zhinarkos: [scream cut short by static]

Pickman: No no no no--

Kitt: Oh, shit.

Yogi Bear: Right flank, right flank!

Kitt: I see them!

Yogi Bear: What the hell are those things?

Kitt: You wanna know what they are? Dead.

Pickman: Jaden!

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

From that point on, it all went to shit. Kitt managed to wound one of the Floaters, but not take it out. Yogi Bear kept firing, but couldn't hit them. It went from bad to worse; Yogi had to duck down, bolts of green fire raining around him. By some miracle, he wasn't hit, but his gun was empty and he couldn't move at all without risking taking damage. He finally managed to crawl to safety -- almost getting hit in the process -- and started reloading.

That was when Pickman snapped. Moving faster than the others could have, he dashed across the battlefield, right up to the Floater. He jammed the barrel of his shotgun hard under the Floater's chin, looked death in the eye, and laughed.

Pickman: Jaden.

[shotgun blast]

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

The Floater was nearly ripped in two by the force of the blast. The anti-gravity unit failed. What was left of the monster hit the ground in a shower of sparks.

The other Floater spun around in mid-air, saw Pickman standing over the torn-apart corpse of its companion, and shot Pickman in the chest.

The new, advanced armor Pickman was wearing held. The heat from the plasma left his chest a ruined wreck that would take a while to heal, but the explosion didn't penetrate.

Pickman stumbled back. It was too much for him. Something in his brain gave way, and he ran, panic taking hold. He ran blindly, stumbling and gibbering as he went.

The final Floater stared after Pickman. Kitt saw the opening, put four rounds in its side. It howled and jerked in the air, then tilted, and finally crashed to the ground.

It was over.

Kitt and Yogi Bear stood over the mangled corpse of Zhinarkos. They smelled the man burning, boiling away inside the armor, the plasma bolt's residual heat absorbed by it. The edges of the hole in the protective plates still glowed red-hot.

Bear knelt down, took something from the dead man's pocket, stared at it. He handed it to Kitt.

Kitt looked at the photograph, its edges singed by plasma so that the wife's head was no longer visible. The newborn twins had their eyes closed, and their heads lolled at weird angles, both babies fast asleep and oblivious to the world.

She looked at Bear, shook her head. She opened her hand and let the photograph fall. It landed on the hot armor, curled, burst to flames.

She walked away.

Stats:

Sergeant Rob Tinkezione (Heavy): 8 kills. (+2 since last count. Wounded; estimated 3 days until recovery)
Sergeant Kitt (Support): 7 kills (+5 since last count)
Sergeant Yogi "Ted" Bear (Support): 1 kill.
Corporal Morry (Sniper): 4 kills.
Corporal Pickman (Assault): 4 kills. (+2 since last count. Wounded; estimated 5 days until recovery)
Corporal Kalle Kaivola (Assault): 4 kills. (+1 since last count)

Rookie Zhinarkos: 1 kill. Killed in action.

Well, that was good, clean family fun. The next time I go out, I'm going to try to bring one of these slimebags in alive. We'll see how that plays out.

Last edited by MikkiRMD; 10-14-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #30
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this episode. Amazing stuff, Mikki.

Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Old 10-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
Zhinarkos

Volunteer Moderator

I'm dead! It happens.

It is too bad that I have no money to spend on games, I'd really like to have this one.

We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be
Zhinarkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #32
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Yeah, you didn't hang around for long, Zhinarkos. It's that kinda game, but at least we got some drama out of it. =)

I'm a little surprised that there haven't been more casualties, to be honest. I think I've been kind of lucky this far. There have been a bunch of close calls -- for example, I didn't write up the previous mission, but in that one, Tinkezione got hit pretty bad, and he had only three turns to live if he didn't get medical attention, and I had no Medi-Kit to stabilize him with.

So it turned into this horribly tense rush through the level to take out the remaining aliens so I could end the mission before Tinkezione bought it. Pickman and Kalle just kicked down doors and kept blasting away with their shotguns. It was pretty cool.

And thanks, Morry! That's awesome to hear.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #33
tinkezione

A standard lurker this far, I simply had to register for this. Amazing stuff, Mikki, I wouldn't be too surprised if stories like this actually make people go throwing money at the screen.

Regarding my close call, that's how us Finns are? Three turns to live and everything will be healed in 3-and-odd days? I knew I'm in a good condition, but THAT is a bit over the top, yes?

Poor Jaden. I'm glad we have someone like Pickman in the team; nothing evens the odds better than a good deal of good old vendetta.
Last edited by tinkezione; 10-14-2012 at 02:00 PM.
tinkezione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #34
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkezione View Post
A standard lurker this far, I simply had to register for this. Amazing stuff, Mikki, I wouldn't be too surprised if stories like this actually make people go throwing money at the screen.
Well, I hope that's what happens. This is a superb new version of one of my all-time favorite games. It's very, very faithful to the spirit of the original, and I really hope Firaxis does well with it, not only because I hope nothing but the best for the future of this franchise, but also because this is the type of game that has kind of been on the decline for a while, and I'd love to see it come back in a big way. From what I can tell, everybody's loving it, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it!

Quote:
Regarding my close call, that's how us Finns are? Three turns to live and everything will be healed in 3-and-odd days? I knew I'm in a good condition, but THAT is a bit over the top, yes?
Well, it was a lot longer than three days, that's just what you have left at this point. =) You were "gravely wounded," and you had to spend a total of 18 days in the hospital.

Quote:
Poor Jaden. I'm glad we have someone like Pickman in the team; nothing evens the odds better than a good deal of good old vendetta.
Oh, yeah. The cool thing is, I never know who's going to die and who's going to make it, or when something's going to become a thing. Like, Rosario, Argentina? I had no way of knowing that would become the place where people die, but right now for my squad, that place is where the worst shit in the world goes down -- and to have Pickman be the guy who panics at that exact moment, there's no way I could plan that, but it all just fits together. That sort of thing happens all the time once you start constructing these stories for your characters in X-Com...

Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #35
yogibbear

If we get out of this alien ****-storm they will write songs about Mikki. His dangerzone suppression fire saving my other colonel's from certain zombification. His rockets taking out half a building to open up line of sight for the deadly sniper duo out back. His single-handed ability to 1-shot kill cyberdiscs. Often he also gets lumped with having to go for the point blank stun shot (like he had to on an alien commander that decided to possess the rest of his teammates leaving everything up to him while stuck deep within an alien facility.

Has been one of the stars of my current game.

Last edited by yogibbear; 10-14-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #36
Kitt

Volunteer Moderator

You guys really do have an eye for warfare fashion, huh?

<---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!
Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Another mission, and this one really counts.

FROM THE X-COM COMMANDER'S DESK: AFTER ACTION REPORT #6

Mission location: UFO Crash Site, Germany
Mission name: OPERATION FALLING PIPE

Squad members: Rob Tinkezione, Morry, Pickman, Kitt, Yogi "Ted" Bear

Another alien vessel decided to violate our airspace. This one was bigger and tougher, but we gave it the same treatment as the previous one: a couple of missiles up the tailpipe. Just like the previous one, it crashed, and crashed hard.

I sent the squad in to take care of business. This time, it wasn't just about securing the remains so our eggheads could poke through the remains and see what made it tick. This time, we weren't there just to put down any survivors like the rabid dogs they were.

This time, we were looking for a prisoner.

In order to take an alien invader alive, you need an arc thrower device -- basically, it's a taser designed to knock out aliens. It works pretty well, provided that the alien has been softened up a little. The downside is, you need to get close for it to work -- real close. And, more often than not, that means crossing open areas while you're being shot to get close enough to use it.

I armed Pickman and Tinkezione with them.

Tinkezione: I get a clean bill of health and get back on duty for this? Look at this thing. It's made of cheap plastic and Radio Shack parts. This is supposed to knock 'em out?

Yogi Bear: Look, our best and the brightest have worked on this thing. They know what they're doing.

Tinkezione: Yeah? How do they know? It's never been tested. This is literally the first time they see any field use ever. In the history of mankind, I'm the first guy who's supposed to walk right up to some intergalactic jerkoff's face with no more than my dick in my hand and hope he feels like sitting down and taking a nice little nap.

[pause]

Kitt: I think you may have missed a key part of the briefing, Rob.

Morry: I dunno, maybe his dick shoots electricity.

Kitt: Stop talking.

Morry: But it explains so much.

Kitt: Please stop.

Tinkezione: Yeah, ha ha, real funny. It's not your ass out there, it's mine.

Pickman: Hey! It's my ass, too.

Tinkezione: Uh-huh. But you don't seem too worried.

Pickman: I don't mind. I just want to get one of them in a jar.

Yogi Bear: Actually, I'm not sure he's the man for this this job...

Tinkezione: Are you kidding me? He's damn near perfect for this job.

Pickman: I wonder if you could set them on fire with this thing if you kept zapping them. I'm gonna try it.

Yogi Bear: I stand corrected.

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

Then they touched down on the mission site, and it was on.

The beginning of the mission went by the book. The UFO was a little bigger than the last one, but the squad had pretty good cover as they approached it. By the time the first aliens showed up, everyone was in good position.

Pickman saw them first, and for once he did exactly what he was supposed to: instead of opening fire, he pulled back, hoping to draw them in after him. They threw some fire his way, but didn't hit him. Eager to catch the lone human, they followed him and ran right into the squad's crossfire. It was a bad night to be a Sectoid.

The squad mopped them up pretty quickly. There was a Shock Trooper on what looked like the bridge of the UFO, but he didn't give them any real trouble, either. The squad was starting to work together, and they had some luck.

But they couldn't get into a good position to stun anybody -- there were always too many of the bad guys around for Pickman or Tinkezione to get right next to one of them -- they could probably have made it, but not without getting shot, and possibly killed right after they'd taken the alien down. The way things kept working out, those opportunities just didn't present themselves.

Until there were just two aliens left. Floaters, both of them; they'd been hanging back.

Tinkezione: Hold it, hold it, we need one alive.

Morry: You need a moment to pull your pants down?

Kitt: Maybe a magnifying glass would help...

Morry: Tweezers.

Tinkezione: Can we focus here?

Yogi Bear: I don't know, can you?

Pickman: Rob, we'll take one down, then we'll corral the last one.

Tinkezione: We'll have to wound him first.

Pickman: That's your job, I don't have a good job for that. Just let me know where you want me.

Tinkezione: Right on, Pickman.

Morry: Wait, is Pickman now the voice of reason here?

Kitt: Awkward.

Yogi Bear: I can't believe you guys have survived this long.

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

What followed was a game of cat and mouse. Taking out one of the Floaters wasn't that hard, but now came the tricky bit. Pickman or Tinkezione had to get close enough to knock him out, but not get killed in the process. Tinkezione managed to wound the remaining Floater, but they still had to finish it up closer and personal. It wasn't easy; the Floater was careful to not get caught between enemies, and he just couldn't be tricked to coming closer, not matter how he was tempted. Kitt took a pretty bad hit in the process, trying to lure him in, but she made it.

In the end, though, Tinkezione got close enough to run up to the Floater and zap him. All he needed was for the Floater to spend his opportunity fire on something else.

Being the fastest man on the field, Pickman put his life on the line and dashed across the Floater's field of vision. The Floater immediately picked up on the movement, spun at Pickman and fired. Green fire streaked across the battlefield at the lone human. It exploded against space ship wreckage, threw up great clods of dirt, shattered trees.

It didn't touch Pickman.

In the meantime, Tinkezione rushed at the Floater, the arc thrower grasped in his fist. Tinkezione vaulted over a piece of alien wreckage, came to a halt right in front of the floating monstrosity. He raised the arc thrower, saw the glowing eyes twitch. Suddenly, the jet engines that provided the Floater with its mobility roared, throwing dirt in Tinkezione's face, as the alien prepared to pull back.

Tinkezione grinned.

Tinkezione: Settle down, ugly.

[burst of static]

Tinkezione: [static] --got a live-- [static] --ucker's down! [static]

Central: Repeat that, Sergeant.

Tinkezione: [static] --repeat, Central, we got a live one. Target's down, but alive. How copy?

Central: Roger that, Sergeant. Nice work.

Tinkezione: Yeah, bitch, how you like that? [grunts] Central, prisoner just headbutted my boot. He's pretty ornery for somebody who's unconscious.

Central: Rein it in, Sergeant.

Tinkezione: Copy that.

[TRANSCRIPT ENDS.]

So, yeah. It took some work, but I got a live one.

Stats:

Lieutenant Yogi "Ted" Bear (Support): 4 kill (+3 since last count)
Sergeant Rob Tinkezione (Heavy): 8 kills. (He knocked out the alien in this mission, but that doesn't count as a kill.)
Sergeant Kitt (Support): 7 kills (Wounded; estimated time of recovery 12 days)
Corporal Morry (Sniper): 5 kills. (+1 since last count)
Corporal Pickman (Assault): 5 kills. (+1 since last count)
Corporal Kalle Kaivola (Assault): 4 kills.

Rookie Zhinarkos: 1 kill. Killed in action.

Last edited by MikkiRMD; 10-15-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #38
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibbear View Post
Has been one of the stars of my current game.
Sweet! I love it when I'm effective. =)

Quote:
You guys really do have an eye for warfare fashion, huh?
Might as well be fabulous.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #39
Jaden

Aww Zhinarkos died
The photograph moment was really quite sad.
(Also, I checked this thread when I just woke up, so my brain wasn't working properly. And I was really confused that you posted after you "died"...I'm glad you're not actually dead; you're great!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkezione View Post
I like the vendetta idea too I was actually quite surprised to be mentioned in posts after my death. I think my demise might have actually been the highlight of my time in this story! (I never thought I'd be writing anything like that...ever)

It was funny last night, because my sister started to read this when my family was watching CSI. And when someone died, she started shouting "OH NO! JADEN!" Thanks for that Mikki

Quote:
Might as well be fabulous.
A man who walks into the battlefield wearing that...You know he's not afraid of anything.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-14-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #40
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
A man who walks into the battlefield wearing that...You know he's not afraid of anything.
Or the aliens are too busy laughing to attack him.

Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014