Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Gizardo123
Can we get a straight answer about the PC version?

I've been following this game for years every since it was announced. Being a PC gamer I don't have access to an Xbox. This game was touted as being the first DX10 exclusive game to make full use of DX10, but that was year's ago and so things have changed...now it seems there is no longer a PC version at all.

What happened here? Is this Microsoft's decision to ultimately to promote the Xbox 360? Is there a Windows version still being worked on? Or has it been delayed inevitably in favor of the Xbox 360? Microsoft hasn't published a PC game in years, and I highly doubt they would return to the PC market with a hyped AAA game like this. I really hope Remedy doesn't give in to Microsoft's ways and cancel the PC version.

Sorry if this has turned into a Microsoft hate rant, but this bad news for PC gamers...there hasn't been a single word about the PC version since E3 and every preview and interview I read hasn't mentioned it either.

So can Remedy please gives us a straight answer, what's the fate of the PC version? If so, why refuse to acknowledge it? Why keep your fans in the dark like that. Also it seems the FAQ has been updated in years...so those answers no longer apply.
Last edited by Gizardo123; 07-05-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
shorty

Re: Can we get a straight answer about the PC version?

Microsoft would actually be smart if they kept Alan Wake as a 360 exclusive. Imagine if Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction only became available on 360. It would bring a lot of pc gamers over to the Xbox, and MS isn't known for treating their pc gamers well.

I think Alan Wake will be a timed exclusive for the 360, just because it's Microsoft. But i hope that Alan will come out spring 2010 for pc too. I know there is a lot of big Alan Wake fans here without 360's.

If it was up to me it would even be released for PS3 too. I hate the fact that you have to pay a lot of money for every system just to play the games that appeals to you.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
ChainsawBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
Microsoft would actually be smart if they kept Alan Wake as a 360 exclusive. Imagine if Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction only became available on 360. It would bring a lot of pc gamers over to the Xbox, and MS isn't known for treating their pc gamers well.

I think Alan Wake will be a timed exclusive for the 360, just because it's Microsoft. But i hope that Alan will come out spring 2010 for pc too. I know there is a lot of big Alan Wake fans here without 360's.

If it was up to me it would even be released for PS3 too. I hate the fact that you have to pay a lot of money for every system just to play the games that appeals to you.
Complete rubbish. A PC user who paid 1000+ for a decent gaming machine is not going to run out and buy an X360, because they have been screwed over on a game.

This sort of thing leads to piracy. Why? Well for one if they released it 6-18 months later on the PC then I would personally pirate it out of spite. I have allready pre-ordered the PC version, but could easily cancell it if it became an X360 exclusive.

The only people killing pc gaming are the game companies themselves.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Gizardo123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsawBunny View Post
Complete rubbish. A PC user who paid 1000+ for a decent gaming machine is not going to run out and buy an X360, because they have been screwed over on a game.

This sort of thing leads to piracy. Why? Well for one if they released it 6-18 months later on the PC then I would personally pirate it out of spite. I have allready pre-ordered the PC version, but could easily cancell it if it became an X360 exclusive.

The only people killing pc gaming are the game companies themselves.
wow qft, but let's stick to the topic guys.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
himynamesryan

They are focusing on the Xbox 360 at the moment due to the fact that a lot has changed since 2005.

Alan Wake was once the greatest looking game of all time, now other games are getting the same look.

It shows the graphical stand point of video games in the past 29 years.
8 bit to 500 MHz ATI Xenos and so on and so forth.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
Gizardo123

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynamesryan View Post
They are focusing on the Xbox 360 at the moment due to the fact that a lot has changed since 2005.

Alan Wake was once the greatest looking game of all time, now other games are getting the same look.

It shows the graphical stand point of video games in the past 29 years.
8 bit to 500 MHz ATI Xenos and so on and so forth.
I don't know if you're blind or just hard of seeing, but the game looks much better now than it did back in 2005.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
sidetwo

Formerly of Remedy, currently of awesome.

It will most likely come out for PC but whether it'll be a timed release or a simultaneous release is the thing that is up in the air.

That's what I gather from it anyway.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
Gizardo123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM View Post
It will most likely come out for PC but whether it'll be a timed release or a simultaneous release is the thing that is up in the air.

That's what I gather from it anyway.
Can you ask Remedy since you're staff for their main page or something? This is the best way to alienate your fanbase by doing this, just leave your fans completely in the dark. Not cool Remedy, not cool at all.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
sidetwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizardo123 View Post
Can you ask Remedy since you're staff for their main page or something? This is the best way to alienate your fanbase by doing this, just leave your fans completely in the dark. Not cool Remedy, not cool at all.
I've just notified them of this post.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
khawaja007

Quote:
great.. i hope they release it on the same day for both
Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #11
Gizardo123

Quote:
Thanks man, I really appreciate this =)
Old 07-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
jester131

PC 4 Life, Homies!
It was no problem for me to wait for GTA IV(PC), and it also was no problem to wait for the patches to make it halfway playable. But hey, now I'm playing it a second time already and have tons of fun with it. Rockstar failed to optimize the game for the PC although they had 6 month+ to do so(only 3core support?!?). I admit that the bad performance & ATI problems really pizzed me off @ first. But despite of the performance/hardware issues it was like an additional mini-game for me to find real bugs in GTA IV (4 minor ones so far).

So what I'm trying to say is that I don't really care if there is a simultaneous release date for xbox+pc. But I know that I'm going to have tons of fun once I'm able to lay my hands on it!!!

If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION
Old 07-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #13
Gizardo123

I don't mind waiting for a proper PC conversion either, but there is literally NOTHING about the PC version since E3...they aren't even acknowledging if it's still being developed for PC. Really disappointing, as Remedy were touting the DirectX 10 technology behind the game when it was first announced.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #14
sidetwo

Quote:
I don't mind waiting for a proper PC conversion either, but there is literally NOTHING about the PC version since E3...they aren't even acknowledging if it's still being developed for PC. Really disappointing, as Remedy were touting the DirectX 10 technology behind the game when it was first announced.
Just a quick correction to this, Remedy haven't actually spoken about DX10 at all either. They have always been quiet on this subject as well.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #15
khawaja007

Quote:
atleast remedy shoud've mentioneed the pc version since e3.i haven't heard about it since a long time ago..
Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #16
Gizardo123

Quote:
Just a quick correction to this, Remedy haven't actually spoken about DX10 at all either. They have always been quiet on this subject as well.
Remedy has always talked about the game being Vista exclusive to make full use of the new DX10 effects, but then again this was back in 2005/2006 before the 3-4 year out blackout. They also demoed the game at this Intel Developers Conference thing saying how they would make full use of multicore processors. It even says in the extremely outdated FAQ.

Edit, no mention about DX10 itself, but being a Vista exclusive I figured it was.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #17
himynamesryan

Quote:
I don't know if you're blind or just hard of seeing, but the game looks much better now than it did back in 2005.
No. You got me wrong. This wasn't a negative post. I was saying that there is to much work to do to focus on two systems. Working on the Xbox saves a lot of time in development.

So don't be complaining about games from 2005. And the read the post carefully before replying.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #18
jester131

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynamesryan View Post
And the read the post carefully before replying.
Wise advice! Obey it! Jesus saves!

If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #19
MarkusRMD

Remedy

Hey all,

I'm a PC gamer at heart (have a Core i7, Radeon 4890, 5.1 audio setup at home) so I do appreciate your concerns.

Unfortunately all I can say at this point is that we're focusing all our efforts on the 360 version and will be making comments in regards to the PC at a later in time.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #20
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusRMD View Post
Hey all,

I'm a PC gamer at heart (have a Core i7, Radeon 4890, 5.1 audio setup at home) so I do appreciate your concerns.

Unfortunately all I can say at this point is that we're focusing all our efforts on the 360 version and will be making comments in regards to the PC at a later in time.
got canceled?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
shorty

Markus didn't say that the pc version is canceled, just that they are focusing on the 360 version for now.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #22
killer7ita

Good work Markus !

I'm really happy that you focusing on Xbox360 version...

I love Killer7, Silent Hill 1, Max Payne, Shadow of the Colossus.Markus and Alan Wake...
He was trying to buy more sand for his hour glass. I wasn't selling any
Old 07-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #23
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
Markus didn't say that the pc version is canceled, just that they are focusing on the 360 version for now.

Quote:
will be making comments in regards to the PC at a later in time.
doesn't sound good...
Old 07-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #24
killer7ita

Sometimes this happened... remember: GTAIV, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge..

Better later, than never...

I love Killer7, Silent Hill 1, Max Payne, Shadow of the Colossus.Markus and Alan Wake...
Last edited by killer7ita; 07-06-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
Gizardo123

=( this is not the new I wanted to hear. Not the news indeed.

Anyways, thanks I guess...looks like this is a game I won't be seeing on my PC.
Last edited by Gizardo123; 07-06-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #26
khawaja007

Quote:
Hey all,

im sorry marcus but i am very dissapointed.i thought that remedy were different than other development companies but all are the same.

waiting so many years for the game ,still we don't get anything about the pc version and now we hear that that it would release months after the xbox 360 version(like 4 to 5 months).they doing like the other companies so the xbox 360 version can get better sales.

i guess that i won't be buying it then...
Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
Gizardo123

Yep, I don't have access to a 360 and I don't play on buying one either.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #28
gamergod

Quote:
Hey all,

I created an account just to tell you guys that you just lost a sale.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
accel99

Look guys I dont mean to start a flame war or anything.I was also looking forward to the pc version even though i have a 360(pc ver will always out-do the console one.)But geez you guys are acting like spoiled brats,either just wait out the pc release(could be anywhere frmo 2 months to a year of the console version) or dont buy it at all.I mean do you really think Remedy will you guys hanging?At least have some faith in them.Ill simply wait what they have to say then ill decide what to buy it for.Also you guys were aching for an answer and when you got that you didnt like,you all went batshit crazy.You should have just waited if you didnt want your hearts broken,in the past Markus did say they were focusing on the 360 version.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #30
Gizardo123

I don't mind waiting at all, in fact I'd rather wait for a solid PC version. But Remedy won't even acknowledge if the PC version is still being made at all. It's really not fair to the fans at all.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #31
killer7ita

Come on, Come on... what is this hate for Remedy ? :O

They will work for both versions... if now their work on 360... there will be a meaning.

P.S. Now, i have only a PC and PS3... but i don't hate Remedy... o_O
I will buy Xbox360 next year...

Last edited by killer7ita; 07-06-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #32
khawaja007

i don't hate remedy, but i said that im very dissapointed. we wait for this game and when we get a date then we get to hear that its only for the 360 version ..so dissapointing.they did'nt even mention a pc version since e3,or i think that maybe i was wrong after seeing the fact that remedy now is much more of a xbox 360 company rather than a pc company.i know like all of the past games that microsoft published were released after months to years after the 360 version. recently every company that has developed games for microsoft has converted into xbox 360 development company like epic games,bungie,etc. that's why i don't like microsoft. im sorry guyz but i'll be honest with u after seeing what microsoft did to the pc, im just sick of hearing the word xbox 360 ! infact i prefer the PS3 over the 360 easily.
Last edited by khawaja007; 07-06-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #33
Galactus

I think that pc version is coming later on. 360 version first.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #34
killer7ita

I don't like Microsoft... but what we can do ?

I will buy a 360 ONLY for Alan Wake...

Old 07-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #35
khawaja007

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel99 View Post
Look guys I dont mean to start a flame war or anything.I was also looking forward to the pc version even though i have a 360(pc ver will always out-do the console one.)But geez you guys are acting like spoiled brats,either just wait out the pc release(could be anywhere frmo 2 months to a year of the console version) or dont buy it at all.I mean do you really think Remedy will you guys hanging?At least have some faith in them.Ill simply wait what they have to say then ill decide what to buy it for.Also you guys were aching for an answer and when you got that you didnt like,you all went batshit crazy.You should have just waited if you didnt want your hearts broken,in the past Markus did say they were focusing on the 360 version.
accel99 a year is a very long long time !
Old 07-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #36
Danzaiver

Quote:
Hey all,

Thnx for the answer Markus

My guess is that because of Windows Vista failure MS are making some changes in their projects. Maybe Alan Wake will be the firts game exclusively for Windows 7. Again, I 'm just guessing.

Alan Wake will be missed, Welcome Quantum Break
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense
Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #37
khawaja007

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer7ita View Post
I don't like Microsoft... but what we can do ?

I will buy a 360 ONLY for Alan Wake...
that's just waste of money for a 30$ or a 50$ game. you can buy a good new video card rather than wasting ur money on a new 360
Old 07-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #38
Angry_Fork

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel99 View Post
It's not really spoiled. People shell out 1,000$ + dollars to have a high-end PC, we end up getting the better version but nowadays it's only marginally better with better AA/resolution. Games aren't really made specifically for PC like Crysis was.

Alan Wake was supposed to be this quad-core showcase and really push PC but it looks like Microsoft is going to dumb it down so 360 users can have the same experience. Not only that but we're likely going to wait months after also so 360 can get more sales during that time. It's just not fair when we spend that much to make the PC in the first place.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #39
crage

What's up with microsoft and it's console exclusive games. It seems like they aren't interested in PC gaming anymore, and still they develop new versions of DirectX that games take advantage of? I don't get it.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #40
shwhjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crage View Post
What's up with microsoft and it's console exclusive games. It seems like they aren't interested in PC gaming anymore, and still they develop new versions of DirectX that games take advantage of? I don't get it.
Yea, DirectX 11 is coming out with Win7 soon, yet hardly any games i've seen even use DX10.

I feel confident that there will (eventually) be a PC version of Alan Wake, but all i can do is hope it's the same release date as the 360 version.

They call me Si.

"If in doubt, keep your socks on."
Closed Thread