Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Max Payne

Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
Kennyist
What if Max Payne was released today...

I got bored the other day, as you do, and with all the recent remakes such has Black Mesa and OpenTDD I thought, What if there was a Max Payne remake. So over the weekend I made Roscoe station as if it would have been designed recently.

This is what I came up with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpUR9izhns
I tried going realistic while keeping MP1 bits, using this as a reference. But maybe made it a bit too "creepy" and run-down.

Would people be interested in a Max Payne remake? depending on legal issues. Probably done in Unity, not cry engine 3 as this was.

Some other shots:

http://tristanjc.com/image/MPR_04.png
http://tristanjc.com/image/MPR_05.png
http://tristanjc.com/image/MPR_01.png
http://tristanjc.com/image/MPR_06.png
(Unfortunately, taking screen-shots in editor doesn't come out looking so good)

Also if anyone would be interested, Twitch stream of me doing some of this (Warning, 4 hours long):
http://www.twitch.tv/kennyist/b/511319649
Last edited by Kennyist; 03-17-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Kennyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
ALoNE

Re: What if Max Payne was released today...

You are the man! I hope you will finish this project.

the shadows rushed me, bruised mug-shot faces hungry for revenge. They knew my weak spots and closed in for the kill. Just a dream.
ALoNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
Lauri

Community Manager

10/10, would totally play! If you really want to go forward with this, I'd recommend contacting Rockstar and asking their permission for a HD remake, and then gather a team to make one.
Lauri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Dean

Dark, empty and a lot of tiling problems with the textures, but pretty neat nonetheless. There was a remake of Roscoe Street in Max Payne 3 for the multiplayer.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Kennyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Dark, empty and a lot of tiling problems with the textures, but pretty neat nonetheless. There was a remake of Roscoe Street in Max Payne 3 for the multiplayer.
Yup, Textures are something I'm not great with. Not really satisfied with what I did, but only had the weekend. Never really played the multiplayer in MP3, But it does look great... Might go back and play this.
Last edited by Kennyist; 03-18-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
LSKzane

Looks really really good!

But i highly doubt that Unity could create something like this (or am i wrong?) so why not stick to CryEngine? It should'nt be that expensive any more since GDC.

Also, yes i would totally buy this.

I've put the Imagination in its Place.
LSKzane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
Kennyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSKzane View Post
Looks really really good!

But i highly doubt that Unity could create something like this (or am i wrong?) so why not stick to CryEngine? It should'nt be that expensive any more since GDC.

Also, yes i would totally buy this.
Unity could create something like this, But it would take heavy performance hit since it would mostly be post processing effects, Or would require massive shader and lighting rewrite but would need Great programmers. I have been using Unity pro for the last 2 years and it does have the advantage of being accessable in terms of programming and external tools but lacks a great tonne of features cry engine has.

Cry engine would probably be the way to go; Better graphics, Better sound tools and FMOD built in, Doesn't use sky box's, ScaleForm GUI, Cinematic tools, Built for shooters and any shader you could need built in. But has the draw back (for me anyway) of backend programming being c++ only and entitys being c++/LUA as im best with c#/Java.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
LSKzane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyist View Post
...But has the draw back (for me anyway) of backend programming being c++ only and entitys being c++/LUA as im best with c#/Java.
So this is the point where you should get either KnowHow in c++ or some guys who can handle c++.

Personally i love just messing around with CryEngine Sandbox, and i wish i could help you doing this, but sadly i am not a Programmer, i'm more of an Server/Storage/Networking-guy, since i work in that kind of business.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Kennyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSKzane View Post
So this is the point where you should get either KnowHow in c++ or some guys who can handle c++.

Personally i love just messing around with CryEngine Sandbox, and i wish i could help you doing this, but sadly i am not a Programmer, i'm more of an Server/Storage/Networking-guy, since i work in that kind of business.
I should be fine for now, I do know c++.. Just not the best with it. If I do carry on this project I would get a working demo type thing out by myself before trying to get more people on anyway.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
LSKzane

Well, you know your Video looks really awesome and i wish you the best of luck if you carry on this project.

If you need/want any help or advice from me, feel free to pm me and i will try my best to help you.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Cypress

Article is up for a few days now: http://paynereactor.com/what-if-max-...eleased-today/

Attracts readers. If I can help in any way. Support trough PayneReactor or participating to the project, let me know!

Proud owner of PayneReactor, the best website for Max Payne news and more!
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
martin

Man, I would love to see properly handled HD remake of the original Max Payne.

Here is something I cooked a couple years back as a modeling practice.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
kristopherm3

This would be FANTASTIC! I have longed for a true Max Payne sequel since 2003 (I don't consider Max Payne 3 to be a part of the franchise). A HD remake would be great as all the original audio such as Max's monologues can be easily extracted and the graphic novels can be reused. Max Payne 1 has always been my favourite game and it would be great to experience it with modern visuals. Please consider this!
kristopherm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
Kennyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Man, I would love to see properly handled HD remake of the original Max Payne.

Here is something I cooked a couple years back as a modeling practice.
That looks great, I'm currently working on another area like that for a show off (but not spending only 2 days on it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherm3 View Post
This would be FANTASTIC! I have longed for a true Max Payne sequel since 2003 (I don't consider Max Payne 3 to be a part of the franchise). A HD remake would be great as all the original audio such as Max's monologues can be easily extracted and the graphic novels can be reused. Max Payne 1 has always been my favourite game and it would be great to experience it with modern visuals. Please consider this!
If I do go through starting a remake, It would be like Black Mesa. No original assets used, to avoid any copyright problems and so on.

Out of interest, I've been playing around with external device integrating into games, (blatant self promoting ) tech demo: Windows side, android side. Would anyone be interested in some sort of integration in a MP remake. Such as GUI moved off screen onto device if connected, maybe a screenshot taker and displayer... Just nothing that impacts on core game-play. (Just been interested in this since E3 demo's)
Last edited by Kennyist; 03-28-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #15
kristopherm3

Just out of curiosity, how would you go about Max's monologues and speech if you can't use any of the original sound files? Wouldn't doing a HD remake of Max Payne be as bad as using original assets, copyright wise? Also could you explain more about this external device thing, slightly confused about the concept? Thanks! P.S please make this remake a reality!
Old 03-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #16
Kennyist

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how would you go about Max's monologues and speech if you can't use any of the original sound files? Wouldn't doing a HD remake of Max Payne be as bad as using original assets, copyright wise? Also could you explain more about this external device thing, slightly confused about the concept? Thanks! P.S please make this remake a reality!
It would be again like Black Mesa, "We" would have to find Volunteer voice actors. There is nothing that would really fall under copyright apart from the The name or the story line if you do all assets by yourself, Buts its still something I have to contact 2K copyright / legal over. Most remakes don't run into issues but there was one that got a Cease and Desist not long ago.

The external device is just simply a way of expanding interactivity and gameplay, such as in a E3 demos for The Division a new player could connect to a game and play as a drone to support a friend. You also see these apps for games like GTA5 that add info and Garage bits that allow you to customize your cars away from the game itself. Or as in my demo im basically making a 1v1 Multiplayer game into a 1.5v1.5 by allowing a friend interact and help them in the main game from a connected device.So its just something like any of that.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #17
kristopherm3

Oh okay. Suppose you were fully green-lighted, would you then be allowed to reuse assets? Think about Timesplitters Rewind, those guys have full permission of f Crytek to do anything they wan't.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #18
kristopherm3

Is this thing dead now?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #19
Kennyist

Quote:
Is this thing dead now?
I'm working on something related at the moment, But i've still got Uni work to deal with so I wont have anything to show for a while. But I will say that anything that will come will be done in Unreal Engine 4.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #20
kristopherm3

Ok, looking forward to seeing it in action.