Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Max Payne

Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
svaagec
sound problems max payne & Vista

Hej.
I am using windows vista home premium, and have just installed max payne, I have got it to worke, but, when I start mx, there is sound, when the real game start, it start with the helicopter and some policecars on the road, but here is no sound and when there is the drawings, no sound, but when I am playing there is normal sound, pleas anyone help me.
My other pc with windows XP, I can play with no problems.

Thanks.
svaage
svaagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Maddieman

Re: sound problems max payne

Yeah, this seems to be a common problem with Max Payne and Vista.

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25731
http://www.ntcompatible.com/Max_Payne_c5981.html
http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6154735/p-3.html
Maddieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
sidetwo

Formerly of Remedy, currently of awesome.

Yeah that's a well known problem of Max Payne with Vista.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6154735/p-3.html

Max Payne is among the games that aren't working well with Vista. Sorry. For now you just have to wait until it either gets patched (don't count on it unfortunately) or continue using XP.

EDIT: Heh posted at the same time as Maddie. But yeah same deal
sidetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
Maddieman

Max or Wake, man what a dilemma.
Maddieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
RTsa

You can have both! Get
1) Dual boot
2) Two computers

I'll be getting two computers, most likely. The one I have now and I'll be getting a completely new one after military service.
RTsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
MrCus976
Re: sound problems max payne & Vista

If you have a Creative X-Fi card then you can use the ALchemy program which translates EAX into OpenAL and that will fix the missing soundproblem. Might be other programs out there that can do the same thing if you have some other soundcard...
MrCus976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
hacktrix2006

For those who don't have a creative sound card, i've made a fix for ya's go to the Max Payne 2 Vista Sound Fix thread and download the ZIP file there.

It works on my Vista machine with a crappy AC97 card so it should work well with others!!!! Enjoy

This is only for Max Payne 2 but it might work with Max Payne but as i don't have the game i don't know give a try and let me know.
hacktrix2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Crimson Behelit
!! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

!! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

Hello everyone.

I'm a big fan of the original Max Payne because of the mods, so in light of the movie coming out and the imminent release of “The Real World”, I decided to fire up the game in Vista 64bit. Needless to say, I was despondent when I found out that the sound was essentially nonexistent and that there was no official patch to fix it. But I googled around for a home brew fix and found this forum and the 3D Relms forum.

The sound fix that Darkje has created is excellent, it restores the “stock” game sounds and music quite nicely. However, it has the unfortunate flaw of not being able to play mods. Then I noticed Maddieman's post about fixing/repacking the game sounds, but I couldn't get it to work either. I kept getting the same annoying "Exception in startupInit: Directory data not found." message that tombenton had. Even when I got it to where it SHOULD work, I couldn't get both the “stock” sound AND the mods working at the same time. It was like tug of war or something. Then I started to analyze the problem.

Darkje's patch is a little sloppy in that it combines the files from all 6 *.ras files and then just leaves them there. When there is a /data directory there, the game thinks: “oh, there is a mod in that /data directory. It gets top priority.”. So no matter what mod you pick in the “Choose Customized Game” menu, it will load what is in the /data directory instead. That's the flaw, but it's also part of the solution.

With a little experimentation, I was able to improve on Darkje's fix and made a procedure that not only permanently fixes the game's “stock” sound, but allows you to easily load mpm / mod files as well. Mods can be loaded, played with working sound, and unloaded with relative ease.

I found out that 3 of the *.ras files only contain level information and thus do not need to be decompressed. So rather then dumping all 6 *.ras files into a single data folder, my patch extracts and converts only the x_data, x_english, and x_music *.ras files individually. Once each *.ras file is moved and decompressed in it's own separate directory, all sounds and music are converted. The patch then repacks all *.ras files one by one, which replace the originals. At this point the “stock” game runs perfectly, everything should be working just like with Darkje's script. But if you try loading a mod in the normal way,“Choose Customized Game”, nothing happens. Also like Darkje's script.

But unlike Darkje's script, my fix offers a workable solution for loading mod files. There is no /data folder now. Remember what I said earlier about the /data folder taking priority? Well, now that it's gone, *.mpm mod files can be extracted and converted in exactly the same way that Darkje's script converts *.ras files. There is one small drawback to this method. You can only load one mod at a time, literally. If you try to put more then one *.mpm / mod file in the MaxPayne folder, the script will combine all the decompressed files into the /data folder... and that's bad. However, you can easily switch mods by using a batch file that loads and unloads mpm / mod files. I have included the full patch and instructions below...

Download the Max_Payne_Vista_Toolkit.zip here:
http://www.mypixelstory.com/maxpayne...ta_Toolkit.zip

Fixing the stock Sounds & Music: *Do This First!*

Install Max Payne to the c:\MaxPayne directory, no spaces. This step is very important, because the patch works out of c:\MaxPayne.

Unzip the “Max_Payne_Vista_Toolkit.zip” into the c:\MaxPayne directory. If for some reason you want to save the original ras files, backup x_data.ras, x_english.ras, and x_music.ras now. Those are the only files affected.

Run the sound_patch.bat file. You will see a lot of "Premature EOF" and "syntax" messages, just like Darkje's script, but everything is OK. When the patch is done, the batch file will ask you to remove 4 directories and then delete itself. Just answer (Y)es 4 times. You can stop at this step if you don't want to run any mods.

Loading mpm / mod files:

Copy or Move the mpm / mod file into the c:\MaxPayne directory. It is important that only one mpm / mod file is loaded at a time.

Run the sound_patch.bat file. You will see a lot of "Premature EOF" and "syntax" messages, just like before, but everything is OK. When finished, simply run the game and the mod will load automatically.

If you want to load a new mpm / mod file, simply run the sound_patch.bat file again to unload the old file. Move the old mpm / mod to a different directory and repeat from step 1. If you want to play "Original Mode", simply leave the mpm / mod file unloaded and the game will load normally.

If you did everything correctly, then Max Payne will have fully working sound and music, for both stock mode and game mods. I have tested this procedure several times on 64bit Vista and can say for sure that it works flawlessly. I have even tested several mods, including Katana and the Real World Demo, and they work flawlessly. The only mod I can't get to work is Kung Fu 3.0, it seems to hang before anything loads. However, most mods work just fine. Even the menu screen music in Katana plays perfect. If Vista has been the bane of your Max Payne existence, then you are going to love this fix.

Special thanks to Darkje and Maddieman for doing most of the ground work.

Enjoy.
Crimson Behelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:04 AM   #9
maddog123
Re: !! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

I tried this. I re-installed the game at least 3 times I followed the directions to the letter, and I couldn't get anything to work at all. suggestions please, I love this game and TRW is going to come out eventually, and I want to be able to play my mods.
maddog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #10
maddog123

I am a moron. sry. it did work. I left a space when I installed to C:\maxpayne. - shoots self in head - hazzaa to Crimson Behelit for an amazing patch. - bows down in complete humility -
maddog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Morse

I want to add one thing:
if you have localized version of MP, most likely you would have file x_<your language>.ras instead of x_english.ras (in my case - x_russian.ras). you've to rename it into x_english.ras in order patch to work. renaming back after applying is not nessesary.
Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
tifosif13

Crimson Behelit;thanks for Max Payne 1 sound fix.But i need it for max payne2.Where can i find this solution.I have problem about Max Payne 2 character voice.Please help me.I try all link but i have no solution
tifosif13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
khawaja007

plz does it work for windows 7 ?
khawaja007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
komigenffs

I have tried this but it did not work. It was installed properly and all, but still there is no sound.
Also note I have Vista 32 bit . . .
komigenffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
komigenffs

also note ; I have Max payne installed under C:\program files\MaxPayne

Shall i reinstall under c:\ ?
komigenffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
Darkje

go here to download the latest version of my fix, with that you shoud get a smooth ride, wherever you installed, uac enabled or not.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=31
Darkje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
shijobaby

http://expwinproblems.blogspot.com/2...a-windows.html
shijobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
balob

I have the same issue. I have Windows 7 and when the helicopters and police cars come, there seems to be no sound and apparently it destroys the mood of the game. I am not sure whether this is the case with Windows Vista as well but in Windows XP, it was working fine!
balob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #19
Mert-K

Hi all, i have a problem. I wanted to play Max Payne 1 for the first time in my life after i heard alot of good stuff about it. I have an Windows Vista. I installed the Max Payne game, then started playing the game and i noticed that there was no sound. So i read about first downloading the patch 1.5 for the game and then some other program which converts the sounds. I installed the patch and converted the soundfiles. Now i am all set to play right!? Well, no. I start the game, intro comes and then comes the loading screen. It loads halfway, and then it crashes and brings me to the background screen of my computer.

Anyone having the similair problem? I really want to play this game.
Mert-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Darkje

It could be you don't have the proper codec installed to play the startup movie, you don't get to see that right?

If that is the case you can skip it by adding -skipstartup to the shortcut.

The movie itself is located in your maxpayne/movies directory, you could try playing it with media player and see what happens.
Last edited by Darkje; 02-12-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added image
Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #21
Mert-K

Nope, i had already done that. It isnt the movie, its just that it shutsdown after the movie is done.

But i figured out the problem. I installed it wrong!

I first uninstalled the game, then re-installed it. I then installed the 1.5 patch and waited till it was finished. Normaly this would crash if i put the crack in the max payne folder first, but it worked and i put the crack later in the folder. Now the game works, but now i need to make the sounds work. I just downloaded one of those soundpatches that you guys made and imported the files into the Max Payne folder. Clicked on MaxBatch and converted the sounds.

I tried to be as patient as possible and after some 10 minutes, the sounds were all converted with NO crash. I launched the game, hoping for no crashes.

Guess what?

IT WORKS! And i am very happy there is such a community who made this all possible. Thank You, you all, and i am currently at part III of Max Payne! I LOVE THIS GAME.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
Darkje

Okay glad you got it going, but really, you should not cr#ck it and then ask for support, that's just lame. If you love it so much you can have it legally for a couple of $ from steam or other sources.

Happy gaming, Darkje.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #23
Mert-K

Well, its worth trying xD. I am really using a CD to play this game. A bought CD, but not an original one. Very hard to explain but we bought it.

Happy Gaming to you too, Darkje.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
kokosoko

I had this problem with Vista too but this thread has helped me get my copy of Max Payne up and running again, so thank you!
kokosoko is offline   Reply With Quote