Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake > Alan Wake Gameplay Discussion

Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
PredatorDuzWork

The Signal - Need Help (Spoilers)

1) So Alan Wake, stuck in the dark presence, is going insane and everything in his mind is happening to him mentally?
2) His physical body is still in cabin in Cauldron Lake while he is doing this?
3) After he destroys the television sets, does he really wake up to find himself in the cabin, or did he just think of that as an escape?
4) Couldn't it be true that he wrote and thought about Thomas Zane into existence, since his mind is in control of what he sees in the dark realm?
5) Is Thomas Zane still stuck in the dark realm since the 70s?
6) Why is every character he sees in the dark realm faded and transparent? While everything else in the environment looks clear?
7) So The Signal Special Feature was basically him stuck in the cabin in the Lake, while he was going insane on the floor and thinking of everything to happen for him, while he had to follow the Signal which he also could have made up, leading to Thomas Zane who he also could have made up, to destroy TV sets, allowing him to break away from his dark realm, into the Cabin still in Cauldron Lake? <IF that is correct > Why doesn't swim up out of there?

Waiting for Alan Wake sequel.
Great job Remedy, you made the best and greatest single player game I've ever played. Thank you for your creativity.
PredatorDuzWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
TerraFin

Re: The Signal - Need Help (Spoilers)

What exactly do you need help with....

Clatu verata n....necktie
TerraFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
PredatorDuzWork

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraFin View Post
What exactly do you need help with....
Jesus Christ. I just want to know if my interpretation was valid and possible based on what The Signal DLC showed. As well as what others might think about these questions.

Great job Remedy, you made the best and greatest single player game I've ever played. Thank you for your creativity.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
TerraFin

I didn't mean anything bad by it. The numbers made it seem like they were all separate thoughts...so i was confused when some of them connected/conflicted.

and...some of those questions were statements. But now that i see you were projecting your theories it all makes sense. Fox news style!

Last edited by TerraFin; 09-09-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
PredatorDuzWork

Quote:
I didn't mean anything bad by it. The numbers made it seem like they were all separate thoughts...so i was confused when some of them connected/conflicted.

and...some of those questions were statements. But now that i see you were projecting your theories it all makes sense. Fox news style!
Okay TerraFin, maybe this will help: I don't get it.
There you go.

Maybe you guys know something I don't, maybe theirs someone who was able to soak this story up better than me. Anyone?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
TerraFin

Hes been reading the manuscript so much looking for a way out of the ending he has written that he starts to go crazy and in turn start living out events that had already happened. Its why everything seems like a distorted dream with familiar places. He is in a battle with himself over the dark presence possessing him. Tv alan (the real alan) is possessed by the DP...and wants to kill the part of him left that is still sane(the one we play as.) Who will win?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
PredatorDuzWork

Quote:
Hes been reading the manuscript so much looking for a way out of the ending he has written that he starts to go crazy and in turn start living out events that had already happened. Its why everything seems like a distorted dream with familiar places. He is in a battle with himself over the dark presence possessing him. Tv alan (the real alan) is possessed by the DP...and wants to kill the part of him left that is still sane(the one we play as.) Who will win?
But after we destory the televisions, we see Dr. Hartman for whatever reason, and we are back in the cabin. If he was reading the manuscript, then on the TV, we would've heard him say things we already heard. He sounded like he was adding more to the story, narrorating it even further, which is why he was in so far in the dark realm in the first place and needed Thomas Zane's help.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
TerraFin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorDuzWork View Post
But after we destory the televisions, we see Dr. Hartman for whatever reason, and we are back in the cabin. If he was reading the manuscript, then on the TV, we would've heard him say things we already heard. He sounded like he was adding more to the story, narrorating it even further, which is why he was in so far in the dark realm in the first place and needed Thomas Zane's help.
Yeah, the hartman thing was in his head (was a reshot/distorted memory of the original scene in the lodge). That scene fades out from the lodge and alans face and shows him rolling on the cabin floor with the manuscript pages around him muttering to himself...."theres no way out theres no way out how do i get out of here ".... How do i escape my mind, how do i escape this ending i wrote. Oh no im trapped in both!!!

Right before the ending to the scene the camera slowly pans back towards alans face and through his eyes...back to alans head to where the writer will start.

Tv alan(the real alan possessed by the DP) is going to make up a bunch of different scenarios(or nightmarish situations) in order to kill off the Alan that is trying to escape.

So the only scene that happened in reality in the DLC was the ending where Alan is on the floor. Everything else that happened in the signal was in Alans head. Zane even says that this isn't the dark presence's doing, its Alans.

Last edited by TerraFin; 09-09-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
PredatorDuzWork

Quote:
Yeah, the hartman thing was in his head (was a reshot/distorted memory of the original scene in the lodge). That scene fades out from the lodge and alans face and shows him rolling on the cabin floor with the manuscript pages around him muttering to himself...."theres no way out theres no way out how do i get out of here ".... How do i escape my mind, how do i escape this ending i wrote. Oh no im trapped in both!!!

Right before the ending to the scene the camera slowly pans back towards alans face and through his eyes...back to alans head to where the writer will start.

Tv alan(the real alan possessed by the DP) is going to make up a bunch of different scenarios(or nightmarish situations) in order to kill off the Alan that is trying to escape.

So the only scene that happened in reality in the DLC was the ending where Alan is on the floor. Everything else that happened in the signal was in Alans head. Zane even says that this isn't the dark presence's doing, its Alans.
Wasn't the Alan in the TV the same Alan in the Cabin?
And destroying the TVs that show what your real body is doing woke him up?
So when he wakes up, is he still possessed by the Dark Presence, or just surrounded by it?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
TerraFin

Quote:
Wasn't the Alan in the TV the same Alan in the Cabin?
And destroying the TVs that show what your real body is doing woke him up?
So when he wakes up, is he still possessed by the Dark Presence, or just surrounded by it?
Yup, the Alan in the TV's is the one in the cabin. He didn't really wake up though. Its not uncommon for people to mutter words in their sleep. Seemed like he was still out of it when it showed him on the floor.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
WritealanWrite

wow I love all these comments good points all around. Yeah I kinda figured the TV alan was the real alan. If I recall correct me if I'm wrong when alan is in the bathroom talking to Zane doesn't Zane say "this is whats happening right now" or somthing like that. Then you see wake in the mirror which is the real wake going crazy. Was Zane trying to show him this is the real you your still in the cabin and this is all in your head in that scene? any thoughts on this
WritealanWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
TerraFin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WritealanWrite View Post
wow I love all these comments good points all around. Yeah I kinda figured the TV alan was the real alan. If I recall correct me if I'm wrong when alan is in the bathroom talking to Zane doesn't Zane say "this is whats happening right now" or somthing like that. Then you see wake in the mirror which is the real wake going crazy. Was Zane trying to show him this is the real you your still in the cabin and this is all in your head in that scene? any thoughts on this
Yeah, i agree completely with that. Throughout the episode Zane is trying to show Alan that he isn't in the Dark Place and that its in his head.

Also, in the scene in the apartment at the end Zane tells you flat out that this is all in your head and that this is not the Dark Place, this is your mind.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
WritealanWrite

Quote:
Yeah, i agree completely with that. Throughout the episode Zane is trying to show Alan that he isn't in the Dark Place and that its in his head.

Also, in the scene in the apartment at the end Zane tells you flat out that this is all in your head and that this is not the Dark Place, this is your mind.
Yeah he tried to tell in the bathroom but wake was still confused. Then at the end Zane just came out with it. Alan still couldn't believe it so he just blamed the dark place but Zane was trying to get it in his head that this was all because of him. I have a question when Zane says he's sinking deeper does he mean alan is losing touch with reality and he can't tell whats real anymore
Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #14
TerraFin

Quote:
Yeah he tried to tell in the bathroom but wake was still confused. Then at the end Zane just came out with it. Alan still couldn't believe it so he just blamed the dark place but Zane was trying to get it in his head that this was all because of him. I have a question when Zane says he's sinking deeper does he mean alan is losing touch with reality and he can't tell whats real anymore
Yup, thats what i interpreted it as. It also alludes back to the conversation Alan has with Hartman in the lodge about him "sinking deeper into his own delusions"

Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
WritealanWrite

Quote:
It also alludes back to the conversation Alan has with Hartman in the lodge about him "sinking deeper into his own delusions"
Hmm thats true I forgot about hartman saying that. The thing I still don't get is why did the 2 old rockers call Wake Zane still can't figure that out
Old 09-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #16
TerraFin

Quote:
Hmm thats true I forgot about hartman saying that. The thing I still don't get is why did the 2 old rockers call Wake Zane still can't figure that out
Alan is Zanes projection in the story Zane wrote? No, I'm completely BS'n but that would make sense in some weird sort of way.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #17
WritealanWrite

Quote:
Alan is Zanes projection in the story Zane wrote? No, I'm completely BS'n but that would make sense in some weird sort of way.
lol I see what you mean it would in a weird way
Old 09-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #18
TerraFin

Quote:
lol I see what you mean it would in a weird way

So, whatever is written the dark presence makes happen....

Could someone write a story that involves time travel and conceivably travel through time via it?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #19
WritealanWrite

Maybe the Island has some sort of magical power or somthing and makes things come to life so when you think about maybe Zane was the one who created the Dark Presence. Maybe he wrote a book about it and it came true and then he tried to correct it but failed. Maybe thats why he knew how to get alan out of the cabin in the beginning of the game. He know's so much about the dark presence because he created it ????????? lol what do you think about that

Edit So now he is using Wake to stop it that kinda makes sense when you think about
Last edited by WritealanWrite; 09-10-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #20
TerraFin

Quote:
Maybe the Island has some sort of magical power or somthing and makes things come to life so when you think about maybe Zane was the one who created the Dark Presence. Maybe he wrote a book about it and it came true and then he tried to correct it but failed. Maybe thats why he knew how to get alan out of the cabin in the beginning of the game. He know's so much about the dark presence because he created it ????????? lol what do you think about that
I like it, but Randolph talked about how Bright Falls has always been a weird place and that the Indians use to believe the lake to be a gateway to the underworld/and probably still do.

Super edit: However Zane is definitely responsible for what is happening now. Weaver says so!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #21
WritealanWrite

Yeah that's what I mean maybe the lake had that power for a long time now and the indians were careful about it when they were around but now Zane through his writing some how used this power and created the dark presence
Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #22
TerraFin

Quote:
Yeah that's what I mean maybe the lake had that power for a long time now and the indians were careful about it when they were around but now Zane through his writing some how used this power and created the dark presence through whatever the name of the book he was writing

yeah he did, Cynthia Weaver says so!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #23
WritealanWrite

ah that's right I must of forgot lol Epic Fail lol
Old 09-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #24
WritealanWrite

Wow we really need "The Writer" so many questions we still need to find out the answers. I can't wait for it to come out the signal was great
Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #25
TerraFin

Quote:
ah that's right I must of forgot lol Epic Fail lol
Its alright. Its a small part of the conversation on the way to the well lit room. A lot of people have glossed over it. I didn't even hear it till my 4th time through the game.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.p...postcount=1044

Last edited by TerraFin; 09-10-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: linkz
Old 09-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #26
WritealanWrite

I just read the link nice job so everyone is a character trapped in a story that Zane wrote wow thats deep lol this game has a great story
Old 09-10-2010, 01:51 AM   #27
PredatorDuzWork

I find this kind of B$.

Zane wrote the Dark presence into existence, as well as Alan Wake coming to bright falls trying to stop this. This sounds like complete BS. How does Thomas Zane know such a person Alan Wake would exist, without writing Alan Wake into existence. If he wrote both the dark presence and Alan Wake into existence, I'm going to break the disc in half.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #28
TerraFin

Quote:
I find this kind of B$.

Zane wrote the Dark presence into existence, as well as Alan Wake coming to bright falls trying to stop this. This sounds like complete BS. How does Thomas Zane know such a person Alan Wake would exist, without writing Alan Wake into existence. If he wrote both the dark presence and Alan Wake into existence, I'm going to break the disc in half.

sorry, its what cynthia weaver says. He wrote it all. Feel free to hear it for yourself. Episode 5 after you divert the power to the tunnel. You are walking with her on your way to the tunnel and she tells you everything. Wait for her to finish talking before moving on. This happens RIGHT before the scene with the Clicker.

However, there has been debate on whether or not to take what she says literally. But it does explain the next scene with Zane and the clicker.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:23 AM   #29
PredatorDuzWork

Quote:
sorry, its what cynthia weaver says. He wrote it all. Feel free to hear it for yourself. Episode 5 after you divert the power to the tunnel. You are walking with her on your way to the tunnel and she tells you everything. Wait for her to finish talking before moving on. This happens RIGHT before the scene with the Clicker.

However, there has been debate on whether or not to take what she says literally. But it does explain the next scene with Zane and the clicker.
I cringe even thinking about that. Do you think Remedy would take it that far?
Thomas Zane would have to create the Alan Wake, the dark presence, clicker, and Alan's mental issues. Doesn't make much sense.

Every other part of the game suggests otherwise. All the cinematic video, manuscript, and pretty much every other dialogue in the game.

I thought it was:
Alan Wake comes to Bright Falls on vacation with wife.
Their was a dark presence written by Thomas Zane that came true during the 70s.
Dark Presence captures Alan's wife to get him to write a manuscript and spread its own influence and power.
Alan realizes this and tries to stop it using the clicker, and write his own escape(which never happens does it?).
Then he dives into the bottom of the lake, defeats the dark presence's in Barbara Zaggar's skin which was apparently its core.

Then he is still under the influence of the dark presence which was apparently defeated, which is why Alice came out of Cauldron Lake.

But some part of the presence remained, controlling Alan and trying to destroy him.
This means Alan is not insane, just possessed. So he uses Thomas Zane's advice to wake himself up in the cabin.
Or he is insane, and anything he imagines he experiences mentally. He experiences phycotic epidoses, where he does this. This is what Thomas Zane suggests.

That is what I'de liked to believe and is easier for me to absorb.
Now your suggesting Thomas Zane had written all of this? Hard to believe. Couldn't it just be Thomas Zane only wrote the dark presence into existence? But why would he write the clicker for Alan than? Wow, this is so misdirecting. The progression of this story makes you disbelieve anything that happened earlier, to the point where don't know what to think anymore.

Last edited by PredatorDuzWork; 09-10-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:31 AM   #30
TerraFin

Quote:
I cringe even thinking about that. Do you think Remedy would take it that far?
Thomas Zane would have to create the Alan Wake, the dark presence, clicker, and Alan's mental issues. Doesn't make much sense.

Every other part of the game suggests otherwise. All the cinematic video, manuscript, and pretty much every other dialogue in the game.

I thought it was:
Alan Wake comes to Bright Falls on vacation with wife.
Dark Presence captures Alan's wife to get him to write a manuscript and spread its own influence and power.
Alan realizes this and tries to stop it using the clicker, and write his own escape(which never happens does it?).
Then he dives into the bottom of the lake, defeats the dark presence's in Barbara Zaggar's skin which was apparently its core.

Then he is still under the influence of the dark presence which was apparently defeated, which is why Alice came out of Cauldron Lake.

But some part of the presence remained, controlling Alan and trying to destroy him.
This means Alan is not insane, just possessed. So he uses Thomas Zane's advice to wake himself up in the cabin.
Or he is insane, and anything he imagines he experiences mentally. He experiences phycotic epidoses, where he does this. This is what Thomas Zane suggests.

That is what I'de liked to believe and is easier for me to absorb.
Now your suggesting Thomas Zane had written all of this? Hard to believe. Couldn't it just be Thomas Zane only wrote the dark presence into existence? But why would he write the clicker for Alan than? Wow, this is so misdirecting. The progression of this story makes you disbelieve anything that happened earlier, to the point where don't know what to think anymore.

They are all opinions. I was just basing mine off of some lines/scenes i heard in the game.

Its not too inconceivable to believe that it is a Story within a Story within a Story within.....and so on.

Think of it like the WAKE (yes seriously) from behind a boat. One main story evolves into more than one story which evolves into more than one story. The Wake expands as time goes on... Since every writer has a certain amount of "free will" they can change the story, but even then it is still within the confines of the other story.

For instance, Tom could write " and then Alan entered the room.." Since it doesn't specifically say how he entered the room it could happen in anyway as long as Alan ends up entering the room.

Last edited by TerraFin; 09-10-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #31
PredatorDuzWork

Quote:
They are all opinions. I was just basing mine off of some lines/scenes i heard in the game.

Its not too inconceivable to believe that it is a Story within a Story within a Story within.....and so on.

Think of it like the WAKE (yes seriously) from behind a boat. One story main story evolves into more than one story which evolves into more than one story. The Wake expands as time goes on... Since every writer has a certain amount of "free will" they can change the story, but even then it is still within the confines of the other story.

For instance, Tom could write " and then Alan entered the room.." Since it doesn't specifically say how he entered the room it could happen anyway as long as Alan ends up entering the room.
Couldn't it be the other way around. Alan wrote about Thomas Zane? Since Thomas Zane is basically a suit protecting himself from darkness. If your theory is true that means Thomas Zane would have to write that into existence. I can believe that when the game mentions Thomas Zane very minimally. I think Remedy would include Thomas Zane a lot more especially if happening is his own creating. I think most people on this forum disagree with either creating each other. I can easily absorb everything that happens in episodes 1-4, but the clicker throws me off. If just remembered, if Alan gave Alice the clicker in New York, how is it in the well lit room?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:45 AM   #32
TerraFin

Quote:
Couldn't it be the other way around. Alan wrote about Thomas Zane? Since Thomas Zane is basically a suit protecting himself from darkness. If your theory is true that means Thomas Zane would have to write that into existence. I can believe that when the game mentions Thomas Zane very minimally. I think Remedy would include Thomas Zane a lot more especially if happening is his own creating. I think most people on this forum disagree with either creating each other. I can easily absorb everything that happens in episodes 1-4, but the clicker throws me off. If just remembered, if Alan gave Alice the clicker in New York, how is it in the well lit room?
If you haven't watched LOST and plan to, be warned of spoiler.

Spoiler:

Taking that into account, It would make sense for RMD to inject the first season with some hint of what is to come...and then have a huge twist in the later seasons about something you thought was minimal/overlooked being the reason for everything! Classic television.

Last edited by TerraFin; 09-10-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:41 AM   #33
Kahr

Volunteer Moderator

I'm sure you're eager to find out everything, PredatorDuzWork. But like everyone else, you're going to have to wait. There is upcoming DLC as well as possible sequels. Not confirmed, only talk.

No fun ruining everything now, is it? We'd much rather sit in suspense waiting for more.

"So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"
Kahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #34
hellsing

The story isn't over guy, so don't expect everything to be explained yet, or at all.
Plus its a mystery, the best will be open to opinion and debated for years to come. Which is something i hope for in Alan Wake since the only truly grand, lasting example in the gaming medium would be silent hill 2 where even a decade on you still have people discussing the subtext and layered meanings. It makes the mystery more fun and gives it a much longer lifespan than a LOST style "heres the answer, END".
hellsing is offline   Reply With Quote