Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake > Alan Wake Gameplay Discussion

Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #41
Dusk Golem

Volunteer Moderator
Re: "The Writer" ending (spoilers)

Wait, what flaming eyes of mordor? I played it twice and I don't recall anything like that. XDD

Anyways you could tell Remedy went to answer/debunk some fan theories inside The Writer (that talk with Zane on the bridge totally was dripping with Remedy pushing some fan speculation out of the way):
-First of all I found the Barry and Hartman turning into each other interesting. Not just because it looked weird, but also it could potentially be symbolism for something. I mean Hartman was Tom's best friend and Barry is Alan's and both are looking for creative talent... I don't know I could be reading too deep into that one but it was interesting.
-I wonder what dark force was keeping Tom away from his cabin? Also Alan raises a good point I had thought about but not so much in-depth, after being in the dark place for so long is Tom even human anymore?
-The Darkness isn't sleeping it seems but up to something. Tom says in the elevator ride that he has no idea what happened to The Darkness when Alan defeated it last, so mas wild speculation could the Darkness be doing something in the real world while Alan and Tom are all caught up in the Dark Place?
-And of course fan-theory squishing time! Mr. Scratch is not Alan and only taking the form of him while away. I thought it was obvious but it's nice to see Remedy officially shoot down that train of thought.
-They also confirm and squash other fan theory that Tom created Alan. However they still don't explain how Tom would know who Alan Wake was those years ago to write a manuscript page about him. The Writer also made it seem like Tom is probably not Alan's father.
-Though they confirm my theory, though it was heavily suggested as it was, but wherever the Dark Place is, it can travel into other peoples dreams and memories. It makes sense when you think about the fact they need creative energy to leave, so like "The Darkness inside all of us" though maybe worded a bit less cheesy?
-While this was the dark place I found immensely interesting they had a lighthouse now by Cauldron Lake, which could of been an effect of Alan finishing Departure. Reflects off the Alan Wake files too.
-And of course, the ending where Alan starts on his new novel, "Return" and Remedy have it set-up where they can make a sequel if they get green-lighted. I am just hoping that pulling off that kind of ending means things between Microsoft and Remedy on the sequel are looking good since while that ironically was the most "conclusive" of the Alan Wake endings (mainly since it answered more questions and the cliffhanger didn't really feel like a cliffhanger but setting the stage of things to come) it also in my opinion would be a very disappointing place to leave off since that basically screams, "Sequel!"

Also my favorite parts and pieces (highlights), bolded ones being my absolute favorite parts, and listed in order of appearance:
-Twisted Children of the Elder Gods showdown, not as epic but a lot more shiny.
-The boat scene. I think it did a good job at representing the point, "just leave common logic that way," and was cool in a calm way.
-Tilting house, was fun.
-The hollow tree, I like it mainly since I wasn't expecting it and loved how it looked.
-The Hole thing, it was a simple but clever puzzle and a mysterious and somewhat cool analogy, made me think of going into the Rabbits Hole.
-Loved the pipes, they managed to be quite freaky and the chainsaw guy inside with the weird sound effect made it sound very anonymous and strange.
-The turning wheel was fun, bizarre, awesome, and unique all in one.
-The part where you keep going up and up on the Bridge was vary eerie and tension building for me. Strangely when I first played enemies only popped up by the "Boom" light but my second playthrough (which I played on the easiest difficulty, I played Hard on my first one) there were enemies coming over the railing. I actually think I preferred it be mysterious and tension building though them appearing the second time did surprise me.
-I actually really liked the arena for the fight with the bridges and the "Flash" icons you could shoot. It gave off a "Climbing the summit" feel and managed to be one of my personally favorite designed fight arenas in all the episodes, even if the shape is simple.
-Hartman, TV Headed Alan, and the Alice clip were all completely unexpected and completely AWESOME.
-Lighthouse killing spree managed to feel super epic.
-Exploring the lighthouse for the first time managed to be somewhat thrilling also.
-And of course Diver's Island and the "Barry & Friends" battle. Unexpected and charming, in a weird "Oh my god I have to shoot something in the image of our lord and savior Barry?" type of way.

Currently Awaiting: Lollipop Chainsaw, Anarchy Reigns
Currently Playing: Alan Wake's American Nightmare PC, Hyperdimension Neptunia
Currently Developing: Project Survivalism
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 10-15-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Dusk Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #42
Panthertoast

This game just keeps getting better and better, if we don't see a sequel my avatar will eat his hat...which says Alan Wake.
Panthertoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #43
Xander756

As I mentioned in another thread about The Writer, I couldn't stand it. The platforming frustrated the heck out of me. It got to the point where I am seriously considering passing on Alan Wake 2 if it plays like this DLC did which is a shame because I absolutely loved the main game.
Xander756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #44
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloselhombre View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the flaming eyes of Mordor yet. They were awesome, and I suspect they were put in as a fan service after the (possibly) unexpected popularity of the line. Another awesome detail that shows the love that Remedy put into their work.
Weeell, actually, that's originally the statue on the Cauldron Lake Lodge's front lawn. We just put it to a new use. =)
MikkiRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #45
StonecoldMC

Thought the Episode was awesome, really awesome!

It was all over to fast thtough and I will deffo be playing through it again (at least a few times) to get the Achievements and to pick up all the little clues and plot lines again.

The pacing of the Episode really was something special Remedy, hats off to you.

Max Payne: long development time of around 5 years. Max Payne 2: quick development time of around 2 years!

Come on Remedy, lets keep with tradition, eh ?
StonecoldMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #46
DvsDevise

Spectacular. The team really out did themselves.
DvsDevise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #47
wake&bake

I played it through last night , it was lot's of fun and very creative.
I loved it when in the cabin in the sky and it starts turning upside down.

After the spinning wheel maze, for quite a while I kept thinking the normal landscape was spinning around too lol.

Hope there is a sequel, looking forward to hearing any news.
wake&bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #48
ancient

The Writer DLC is actually the best episode of Alan Wake! We finally got the emphasis on "psychological"

A psychological action thriller. Once again - a psychological action thriller. Something that I looked for in the main game. Some reviewers don't like the character study... Well, I like it a lot, especially when it's supported by the hordes & hordes of lightwords And the boat.

Light forms abusing Alan's psyche Instinctive, natural and organic. Surreal. Immaculate. Fantastic mesh of lightwords, the writing, the tone, the atmosphere and the overall delivery.

No stupid coffee collectibles.
No nothing.

Just sad that it took 6 or 7 long years to finally rediscover the beauty of "psychological", push it into the limelight ("ladies & gentlemen, let's start the show!") and give it proper attention.

I still think the Takens is the weakest part of the overall experience (something very monotonous about them) and that's why the rest of The Writer DLC shines. The first half at least. But even with the Takens we saw substantial "destroy your own characters" improvements.

Hey, where's Alice?

Nah, we can't annihilate Alice. She's too real or needs to be saved for the cliffhanger of Alan Wake 2

"My dear" (c) Barry

Idéaliser
ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #49
Crrash

i didn't like it

... the ending song, i mean! after liking most of the ending songs of the main game and specially "no, i don't remember" from the signal, this was pretty meh. i was expecting something new i would really love.

this episode was yet another proof that remedy has one heck of a touch when doing nightmare sequences! and of course the whole writing is excellent too! (though i did keep expecting even back in the signal that Alan Wake would at least make a comment about all the stuff that his other self was throwing at him)
Crrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #50
Fabregasgunner

There just has to be a sequel as the end of the writer I have more questions than answers- like everyone else just waiting for confirmation that it's definetly happening..
Fabregasgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #51
WakeBRFan

I've just finished the second DLC and man, what an awesome adition to the game!

The surrealism, the psychological feeling...it was just awesome.

If AW2 doesn't get made we riot!
WakeBRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #52
Max Zane

Although I do believe we were given at least one answer in the Writer that ought to quell a lot of theories on here.
Barring some massive, all encompassing twist on everything... Zane is not Alans creator. He did not write alan as a character to serve his purposes, as he clearly stated "I am not the author of your story."
It is also heavily implied that the theory that Zane only wrote that page because Alan wrote that zane wrote it is true.

Which means there's still a lot we dont know about Departure.

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if that wood chuck was Chuck Norris?
Max Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #53
TerraFin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Zane View Post
Although I do believe we were given at least one answer in the Writer that ought to quell a lot of theories on here.
Barring some massive, all encompassing twist on everything... Zane is not Alans creator. He did not write alan as a character to serve his purposes, as he clearly stated "I am not the author of your story."
It is also heavily implied that the theory that Zane only wrote that page because Alan wrote that zane wrote it is true.

Which means there's still a lot we dont know about Departure.
Yes, he may not be the author of ALAN's story...but that does not mean that alan didn't write his story because of what Zane wrote.

So many negatives in that sentence ...hope the right message comes through. I need to play it again tonight.

Meh, im definitely going to play it again tonight once it gets dark.

Clatu verata n....necktie
TerraFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #54
Marseillaise

I just finished it, and.. Uhhm.. Wow. That was really excellent. Words do nothing!

Also, I was really surprised at Alan's ability to lay on the self loathing. Like, that Alice speech? Jesus, mate.

marzipan is delicious.
Marseillaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #55
Max Zane

It was definitely interesting from a character standpoint, as previously Alan was a very conflicted character. Now that he is almost literally 'split', however, we can clearly see the light and darker sides of him in isolation.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 AM   #56
johnphenomenon

Man, Alan Wake is officially the greatest story ever written. And possibly the best game I've ever played. If i was a horror game fan, then it definitely wouldve been. But considering that I NEVER play horror games, and Alan Wake maybe the best game I ever played, that's a huge thing.

Anyway, here's my take on it. Zane did say that he's not the author of Alan's story. But what he meant by that could be interpreted in two ways.

1. Zane is not Alan's creator because he did not create Alan through his story.
2. Zane is Alan's creator and was referring to "Departure" as "Alan's Story" and not literally Alan's story. So, since Zane didn't know how Departure ended, he didn't have all the answers. The way I see it is, Zane was screwed by the dark presence and knew that he and barbara were going to get engulfed by the dark presence or something so he wrote a story that would save him or destroy the dark presence or both and just wrote something like, "A man would come named Alan Wake, who will destroy the dark prescence forever." It's possible he included a lot more detail into the story, like actualy describing Alan's character and past, and detailed every little thing that happened to Alan up to who knows what point. For all we know, Alan could still be "in" Zane's book. EX. "And then Alan sat down and wrote "Return."" Or Zane's story couldve ended when Alan wrote Departure.

One thing I don't understand is how Alan will be able to write Return freely without the Dark Presence butting in. Zane and Alan weren't able to write their stories without the presence "editing" their work. So, I dont get what Alan is gonna do about that. It's possible that's what will happen in the sequel. Which i LITERALLY CANNOT WAIT FOR. PLEASE REMEDY. PLEASE GIVE IT TO US AS SOON AS YOU CAN. WE NEED ALAN WAKE 2 NOWWW!!!
johnphenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 AM   #57
johnphenomenon

And does anyone else think it's a bit too simple that the events of the two DLC's were all just a dream? I don't know if Zane literally meant it was a dream. I do know that the events took place in Alan's mind, but then again a dream is technically in your mind. I'm just saying, there has to be more to it, it's too simple. Too easy. I can't get what Zane said at the beginning of The Signal out of my head. When he said that it's not really a flashlight or a gun, they're just symbols. If that's true, then it's possibly that were never really any taken. Or that Zane was never there. All of those things were just representations of things in Alan's mind.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #58
johnphenomenon

Just got an idea:

Alan is tryin to write himself free from the Dark Presence right? One way he might do this is by creating a Light Presence. I know it sounds like a cheesy disney movie twist, but it makes sense if you think about it. It'll balance out the story. Where there's dark, there's light. So there must be a light presence. There might already be one. Zane could be this light presence which explains how he's able to help Alan fight the dark presence. Or the light presence may be what is giving Zane power to help Alan.

I donno, just a thought.

How do you guys think Alan will save himself with "Return?"
Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #59
Arsh

Just finished The Writer. That was fantastic

Great ending. Very trippy Special Feature.

Time is the fire in which we burn
Arsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #60
Dirty Barry

Mikki, you were right - The Writer IS the better DLC (not saying The Signal was bad, just saying The Writer was 11/10, where the Signal was 9/10).

As for the Ending, it's beginning to sound an awful lot like Wake IS Zane - a "Future Embodiment," if you will. There are a TON of parallels:

Jagger drowned in the lake (Alice falls in lake/is dragged in)

Zane wrote Jagger back (Wake wrote Alice Back)

Both are in the Dark Place because of their actions.

Then there's the bit with the Clicker.

Then you have some strange tie-ins, like the whole "Crashed Airplane" in Episode 3 "On The Run", when Wake says he JUST heard the Plane go down, and yet the plane has been there for decades? Coincidence, or strategically-placed?

Then there are the too-frequent instances where Wake is "mistakenly" called TOM (Old Gods at the Lodge, "Alice" in the final Apartment sequence right before "The Dark Place", etc).

It just seems like too much coincidence that Zane is so similar to Wake in so many ways - I know Zane says "I didn't write your story", but isn't it possibly Wake wrote ZANE's story?

Perhaps Wake is Zane, Alice is Jagger, Barry is Hartman, there are just so many parallels...anyone?

You get two pills in the morning, and then you'll be nice and calm, all day long.
Dirty Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #61
Sorakachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Barry View Post
Mikki, you were right - The Writer IS the better DLC (not saying The Signal was bad, just saying The Writer was 11/10, where the Signal was 9/10).

As for the Ending, it's beginning to sound an awful lot like Wake IS Zane - a "Future Embodiment," if you will. There are a TON of parallels:

Jagger drowned in the lake (Alice falls in lake/is dragged in)

Both are in the Dark Place because of their actions.

Then there's the bit with the Clicker.

Then you have some strange tie-ins, like the whole "Crashed Airplane" in Episode 3 "On The Run", when Wake says he JUST heard the Plane go down, and yet the plane has been there for decades? Coincidence, or strategically-placed?

Then there are the too-frequent instances where Wake is "mistakenly" called TOM (Old Gods at the Lodge, "Alice" in the final Apartment sequence right before "The Dark Place", etc).

It just seems like too much coincidence that Zane is so similar to Wake in so many ways - I know Zane says "I didn't write your story", but isn't it possibly Wake wrote ZANE's story?

Perhaps Wake is Zane, Alice is Jagger, Barry is Hartman, there are just so many parallels...anyone?
If you listen closely in the sequence in the last episode of the game, when you're walking along in the dark place towards the cabin, if you listen to the part where its Tom talking to 'Barbara' their voices are the same as Alan's and Alices. And there's also the one where it's Alan and Alice, but Alan's all like 'That didn't happen.' From this alone, I began to get the same idea as you, as well as possibilities of reincarnation and stuff.
Sorakachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #62
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Let me just comment on a few things here:

Quote:
Well, this is not the same thing, though. Barbara Jagger died, Alice didn't. There's a pretty big conceptual difference between trying to resurrect a dead person (and getting back something horrible that looks like that person, but really isn't!) and trying to rescue someone who's missing. That doesn't mean there's no parallel there, of course, but there's also a fundamental difference.

Quote:
That's not quite what Wake says. The actual narration goes, "It was clear that it had just fallen here, but it was very old and obviously hadn't flown in decades." The mystery, at that point, is how could a dilapidated plane that clearly isn't capable of flight anymore crash down from the sky? There's a manuscript page that addresses this and the other objects that just fall out of the sky at various points in the game.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #63
Dusk Golem

Volunteer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiRMD View Post
Let me just comment on a few things here:
That's not quite what Wake says. The actual narration goes, "It was clear that it had just fallen here, but it was very old and obviously hadn't flown in decades." The mystery, at that point, is how could a dilapidated plane that clearly isn't capable of flight anymore crash down from the sky? There's a manuscript page that addresses this and the other objects that just fall out of the sky at various points in the game.
I was under the impression that the boat and those train cars had just experienced engine trouble. That and Alan Wake had the worst luck in the world and had things crash right in front of him. Or maybe he create his own magnetic field which tampered with the vehicles performance and made them drop like rocks.

Though being serious, I wonder if the lake actually like literally spits out things and drops them. It is suggested that way and now I have a visual image of random objects shooting up out of the lake and soaring in the sky and then crashing to try and hit Wake. If that was the case, you'd think someone would notice...

Then again, it might be UFOs (/referencing unused material).

That reminds me, what was that UFO idea about? I never got it, I mean in chapter 6 you can still see the crop circles and I have no clue where UFOs fit in with Alan Wake besides that at one point they existed in development.

Last edited by Dusk Golem; 10-15-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #64
TerraFin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorakachan View Post
If you listen closely in the sequence in the last episode of the game, when you're walking along in the dark place towards the cabin, if you listen to the part where its Tom talking to 'Barbara' their voices are the same as Alan's and Alices. And there's also the one where it's Alan and Alice, but Alan's all like 'That didn't happen.' From this alone, I began to get the same idea as you, as well as possibilities of reincarnation and stuff.
yeah, i've been toying around with the idea of reincarnation in some manner...writing a part of himself into someone else....i dont know.

Clatu verata n....necktie
TerraFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #65
de-evoproject

Very very nice DLC. Loved the expansion of the environment to fully utlize the graphic abilities and build a truly immersive sureal landscape. Expanding on the type of fear beyond just a fear of the dark (i.e. fear of heights, tight spaces, etc) really increased the intensity.

Limiting the weaponry by taking out the flashbangs and flaregun brought a real sense of survival to the game, tho the overabundance of ammo kind leveled it back out.

Some REALLY awesome cut scenes and revelations. My only real point of dislike was the only answer i got about Mr. Scratch was "No." I'm sitting there expecting more and they just skip right over it and keep going. I can see how that is a big point to bring back in Alan Wake 2 if it happens, but if it doesn't and i never get an explanation to that i would be pretty disappointed. And if AW2 were to come out and that never got explained it would seem like lazy writing, the kind of, "Well i built this thing but i'm not sure where i was going with it or what it really is so i'll just ignore it from here on out and call it a 'mystery'."

Other than that, EXCELLENT episode. I will definitely be pre-ordering and buying AW2 if and when it gets made.
de-evoproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #66
Stammy

Suberb episode. Just the right mix of puzzles, combat and atmosphere. What little story progression there was, it was great. Almost confirming the sequel at the end was the icing on the cake though. These two DLC's were great fillers and nice extra but what we all really want is another full season.
Stammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #67
fullmetal297

Great Work on the DLC, Remedy! My favorite part is the small but noticeable mention of "Gangsters making Money" since the voice actor for Barry also played a mobster in the Max Paine Series.
fullmetal297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #68
Master_Moridin

That was EPIC. Really wish more questions had been answered, though the Mr. Scratch bit was so awesome.

I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2
Master_Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #69
MarcFirewing

I was enthralled, amazed...****, I felt my heart racing and an urge for more. I completely plan on playing through the entire story in one go and let it all flow together again for me. And the funniest thing was? I guessed right on the dot what Alan was writing at the very end.

Me: Return by Alan Wake
-.five seconds later.-
Page: Return by Alan Wake
Me: HAH! I KNEW IT!
MarcFirewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:40 AM   #70
Celeste

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, but Remedy has really outdone themselves this time. Wow.

In addition to making an excellent and entertaining game add-on, you guys also did a wonderful job capturing the essence of mental illness, as well as how psychology and creativity intertwine. Also, the re-use of all the previous environments, objects, characters, etc. is SO perfect in every way — for Alan, in his introspection, and for us, as fans. Beautiful.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #71
Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Golem View Post
Though being serious, I wonder if the lake actually like literally spits out things and drops them. It is suggested that way and now I have a visual image of random objects shooting up out of the lake and soaring in the sky and then crashing to try and hit Wake. If that was the case, you'd think someone would notice...
I thought it was just part of the tornado, basically. The DP comes out of the lake, dragging all that old stuff from the bottom of the blackness with it and tossing it around, as a tornado would, but malicious and sentient. The manuscript page says:

Quote:
Episode 6: Departure Page 2: The Trail of the Dark Presence
The bottom of Cauldron Lake was a graveyard of things the lake had claimed in one way or another over the decades. The Dark Presence brought them up in its wake, scattering the rotten, waterlogged hull of an old boat here, the remains of a long-ago crashed airplane there.

Trees shattered under the impacts. The earth groaned. It didn't even notice.
The mystery to me is how it all got to the bottom of the lake. Does stuff actually crash there a lot, like the Bermuda Triangle? Something related to the dreamworld tied to the lake and its powers? (Maybe stuff crashes because the pilots/drivers/conductors/whatever are drawn into the dreamworld, even partially, hallucinating or seeing the landscape differently from how it actually is, etc.) Or does the stuff not crash there, but comes FROM people's dreams/nightmares about vehicles? It does say "in one way or another," so maybe it's both?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #72
Tom 44

I'm really surprised that everyone barley said anything about the light house yet! I mean, what does the light house represent? Alan only sees it when he's dreaming sometimes and when he does, it's pretty much his ultimate goal. Is the light house actually in bright falls? So many questions...

I'm pretty sure Alan writes Tom into the story. It doesn't necessarily mean he creates Tom. Tom obviously wanted to tell Alan the truth but something is stopping him. Also, so what happened to the dark presence and Alice??? Remedy, you guys must be aliens or cheaters because no fair playing human can write a story this intriguing and engaging. (well, except the guys at 2k games cus I'm a bioshock fanboy ).

So yeah, The Writer=awesomeness. 9.5 out of ten. .5 of because off hard platforming (but I still kinda enjoyed it, I don't want you to eliminate platforming) and because I almost never give a 10 put of 10 (except bioshock )
Tom 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #73
Max Zane

It seemed to me that the lighthouse was a part of the symbolic journey of Alan through the Dark Place. In order to reach himself, he must first traverse a perilous landscape of memories and reach the one point of light in the darkness that will allow him to regain sanity.

Though the main game is left largely to personal interpretation, I think the DLC's are very much metaphorical.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #74
Celeste

Quote:
Weeell, actually, that's originally the statue on the Cauldron Lake Lodge's front lawn. We just put it to a new use. =)
I recognized the statue (I think it's also on the bridge?) but what's with the statue itself? It reminded me of something like a submersive capsule, being held by tentacles. Was it meant to symbolize anything? I can't remember its title now, but I seem to recall thinking it had something to do with Zane, or maybe that was just my interpretation since he was a diver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 44 View Post
I'm really surprised that everyone barley said anything about the light house yet! I mean, what does the light house represent? Alan only sees it when he's dreaming sometimes and when he does, it's pretty much his ultimate goal. Is the light house actually in bright falls? So many questions...
The lighthouse really does exist in Bright Falls — Clay Steward mentions finding it in a book about BF in the Alan Wake Files, and it's supposed to be at Rain Cove Point, which Sarah references on the way to the Well-Lit Room. But I think the version we went to was the dreamworld version of it. I'll have to go back and look at the "Nightmare" sequence to see the first time we saw the lighthouse, but I noticed the life preserver on this one said Cape Campbell, which wasn't a name I remember hearing before..?

Well, my memory is obviously failing me on many points so clearly I'm gonna have to play again.. so sad. =)
Old 10-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #75
Dusk Golem

Volunteer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
I recognized the statue (I think it's also on the bridge?) but what's with the statue itself? It reminded me of something like a submersive capsule, being held by tentacles. Was it meant to symbolize anything? I can't remember its title now, but I seem to recall thinking it had something to do with Zane, or maybe that was just my interpretation since he was a diver?

The lighthouse really does exist in Bright Falls — Clay Steward mentions finding it in a book about BF in the Alan Wake Files, and it's supposed to be at Rain Cove Point, which Sarah references on the way to the Well-Lit Room. But I think the version we went to was the dreamworld version of it. I'll have to go back and look at the "Nightmare" sequence to see the first time we saw the lighthouse, but I noticed the life preserver on this one said Cape Campbell, which wasn't a name I remember hearing before..?

Well, my memory is obviously failing me on many points so clearly I'm gonna have to play again.. so sad. =)
Cape Campbell? That's a real world location, I've been there before and ironically the symbol of the are (it's some mountains by the shore) is it's lighthouse which looms over everything on a tall hill.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #76
Celeste

Quote:
Cape Campbell? That's a real world location, I've been there before and ironically the symbol of the are (it's some mountains by the shore) is it's lighthouse which looms over everything on a tall hill.
Oh, interesting. Maybe it's meant to be something Alan actually saw on the ferry ride and is in his subconscious — i.e., mixing the actual lighthouse near Bright Falls with other details that don't actually go with it.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #77
Kitt

Volunteer Moderator

Man, that hamster wheel bit absolutely made my jaw drop. It has been a while since I've felt such a strange blend of confusion, bewilderment, and awe. One part in particular there really made me laugh, though:

"Can I help you with anything, mister Wake?"
Me: Why yes, I do believe I am insane. Can you point me towards a lighthouse?

...Double Alan all the way...

<---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!
Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #78
Nelsh

I really like how these two DLC have enriched the game with a surreal chapter. Apart from the very ending of the game, every environment in the main game was realistic. This was really a great addition, it gives it more of a Twin Peaks vibe, because the dark place reminds me of The Lodge.

Quote:
Anyways you could tell Remedy went to answer/debunk some fan theories inside The Writer (that talk with Zane on the bridge totally was dripping with Remedy pushing some fan speculation out of the way)
As for the line from Zane: "I am not the writer of this story.", sure it's new information but it doesn't necessarily mean what we think. Even if Zane didn't write Alan's story, there's still the possibility that Alan is a character made up by Tom Zane in another story, and he has become real because of the power of the lake. Alan is the one writing these stories that we're experiencing in the game, and they have become true in the same way, but Alan could still be originally Zane's creation. It almost seems like Zane created Alan and included a loophole to ensure that Alan would be writing about him, thus continuing to realize Zane's existence through the story that he writes.

Remember the books by Thomas Zane that Alan finds in the cabin? They're in a shoebox, like the Clicker. And we all know what that means.

"Following a typical nightmare pattern, I was late, desperately trying to reach my destination – a lighthouse – for some urgent reason I couldn’t remember."
Last edited by Nelsh; 10-18-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Nelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #79
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
II'll have to go back and look at the "Nightmare" sequence to see the first time we saw the lighthouse, but I noticed the life preserver on this one said Cape Campbell, which wasn't a name I remember hearing before..?
Wow, that's an honest mistake on our part, then! "Rain Cove Point" was originally called "Cape Campbell," but we changed the name for some reason -- I can't remember why, exactly; most likely simply because we didn't want to reference the real world location. Looks like the old name was left there, though!

Good catch. =) But really, just pretend that it reads "Rain Cove Point" instead!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #80
Celeste

Quote:
Wow, that's an honest mistake on our part, then! "Rain Cove Point" was originally called "Cape Campbell," but we changed the name for some reason -- I can't remember why, exactly; most likely simply because we didn't want to reference the real world location. Looks like the old name was left there, though!

Good catch. =) But really, just pretend that it reads "Rain Cove Point" instead!
Oh, wow! Yeah, I went up and looked at it because I was curious to see if it would say Rain Cove Point, and was surprised when it didn't. But the whole Dark Place Logic thing works in your favor here, I think — makes sense for stuff to be jumbled in Alan's head. Anyway, I support your decision on the name change, Rain Cove Point has a nicer ring. =)