Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #121
PetriRMD

Remedy
Re: Alan Wake is out now on Steam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wake View Post
i have just saw this review for AW PC version and they give it (7/10) , in my opinion this game have to get score not less than (9/10) so they must be wrong.
Wouldn't sweat it that much. Reviews are always subjective, and different reviewers experience games under various conditions and review sites have different scales as well.

IIRC, the original Max Payne did receive an occasional 4/10 and 5/10 review as well

I think as long as gamers keep spreading the word when they like the game, we'll be just fine.
PetriRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #122
Vlado

doesnt matter you know what game rules now
Vlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #123
Alan Wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetriRMD View Post
IIRC, the original Max Payne did receive an occasional 4/10 and 5/10 review as well

I think as long as gamers keep spreading the word when they like the game, we'll be just fine.
4/10 , 5/10 looooool.
But i really like what have you said.
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #124
Vlado

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibbear View Post
Did you tease that HAWK dude that purchased Killing Floor? Messing up your screenie like that. Damn hipsters.
Doesnt matter you know what game rules now ;-))
Vlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #125
karoollo

Remedy,maybe this is boring but thanks a lot!! You are great! :] And You are creating a great games!
Last edited by karoollo; 02-16-2012 at 09:42 PM.
karoollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #126
voorhees1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetriRMD View Post

ah ahahahaha I will never forget MP games, I might play them again soon with the widescreen fix, but I hear it is just a stretch and can look weird. But yeah I will never forget playing those games, classics in every way imo. My second screen is 1280x1024 so I might get ultramon to play it on that screen instead of my 1920x1080 screen.
voorhees1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #127
Shimec

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshauny1 View Post
Now about to play

But the couch didnt come with the game so ill have to buy one

Will report back what i think in an hour or so.

Found this on a different forum. Scan QR code to get something interresting
Spoiler:

For those who cannot scan it, here's what it says

Spoiler:
Shimec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #128
CabbageRed

This is so much more pretty than I was expecting. You/Remedy have really done a fantastic job of porting the game. Had I gone in knowing nothing of the AW's development history, I would have assumed that it was a PC game through and through based on the texture quality alone. Truly a stupendous effort, with results to match.

For those interested, I'm getting 30-45fps on a 6950 (not unlocked). I actually have 2 cards but AMD's latest cats do nothing for me as the second GPU is showing no activity.

PS: Since this is self-published, could skipping the intro be added to the options menu? I've renamed the file, but Steam loves to "fix" such work-arounds and I'd prefer to leave automatic updates on.
CabbageRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #129
voorhees1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageRed View Post
This is so much more pretty than I was expecting. You/Remedy have really done a fantastic job of porting the game. Had I gone in knowing nothing of the AW's development history, I would have assumed that it was a PC game through and through based on the texture quality alone. Truly a stupendous effort, with results to match.

For those interested, I'm getting 30-45fps on a 6950 (not unlocked). I actually have 2 cards but AMD's latest cats do nothing for me as the second GPU is showing no activity.

PS: Since this is self-published, could skipping the intro be added to the options menu? I've renamed the file, but Steam loves to "fix" such work-arounds and I'd prefer to leave automatic updates on.

You should get slightly more then that maxed out. But then again I run D3DOverrider for v-sync and triple buffer. I can even get 55-60 in some places fully maxed out with a VTX 6950. But mostly it sits at around 45-50fps

This is a 57fps scene when I was looking about:

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9...2162050257.jpg
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #130
Alan Wake

PetriRMD, i think i have not seen you before talking with fans like MikkiRMD or MarkusRMD right?!

Anyway welcome to internet life!
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #131
Postwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimec View Post
Spoiler:

For those who cannot scan it, here's what it says

Spoiler:
Hey, wait a minute. I don't want to spoil the party, but what is this weird-looking texture just outside the window?
Last edited by Postwar; 02-16-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Postwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #132
Erazmus

A question for you folks who already played it - are the cutscenes the same ones from the X360 version, aka the ones with the troublesome lipsync? That was literally the only bone I had to pick with the X360 version, I do hope it's been remedied .
Erazmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #133
voorhees1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazmus View Post
A question for you folks who already played it - are the cutscenes the same ones from the X360 version, aka the ones with the troublesome lipsync? That was literally the only bone I had to pick with the X360 version, I do hope it's been remedied .
I have not noticed any lip sync issues yet. I am sure it would be the first thing one would spot if it was an issue. In fact the cut scenes are the only thing that let the game down, they seem to be a direct port without any touch up's (apart from sync). But we can all live with that
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #134
CabbageRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by voorhees1979 View Post
You should get slightly more then that maxed out. But then again I run D3DOverrider for v-sync and triple buffer. I can even get 55-60 in some places fully maxed out with a VTX 6950. But mostly it sits at around 45-50fps

This is a 57fps scene when I was looking about:

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9...2162050257.jpg
I'm still using 12.1 drivers which may be part of the problem, but I'm getting around 40fps in the same area at daytime. At some point I'll update the drivers and fiddle around, but right now I'm content as the motion blur is doing a decent of hiding any slowdown.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #135
voorhees1979

Quote:
I'm still using 12.1 drivers which may be part of the problem, but I'm getting around 40fps in the same area at daytime. At some point I'll update the drivers and fiddle around, but right now I'm content as the motion blur is doing a decent of hiding any slowdown.
ah I am actually on 11.12 I refuse to upgrade right now as these drivers are the sweet spot for pretty much all I play. I refuse to upgrade atm as AMD might well fix the games in the readme's but tend do break everyother game you have. I am not sure I will buy AMD next time tbh, driver issues have annoyed me a lot over the past few months.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #136
CabbageRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by voorhees1979 View Post
ah I am actually on 11.12 I refuse to upgrade right now as these drivers are the sweet spot for pretty much all I play. I refuse to upgrade atm as AMD might well fix the games in the readme's but tend do break everyother game you have. I am not sure I will buy AMD next time tbh, driver issues have annoyed me a lot over the past few months.
Curiosity got the better of me so I uninstalled 12.1/Cap3, installed 8.95rc/Cap3. Same scene is now a steady 60fps with Crossfire now working.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #137
Damien_Azreal

Well, after getting all downloaded through STEAM... and jumped in and started playing.
Just now finished Episode 1. And I have to say, Remedy, you guys did a fantastic job.

The game runs silky smooth with everything on and it looks fantastic.
It's been a while since I've played the game on my 360, but running through the first episode just now... I'm completely reminded of why I loved it back then on my 360.
Alan Wake is truly one in a million.

And a very deep thank you to Remedy. You guys didn't have to make a PC version, but you did... and you put a ton of effort into it. And it shows. So, thank you.
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #138
hlhbk

What kind of performance should I expect on a GTX 570, 4 GB of RAM, and a Intel i7 950?
hlhbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #139
foda500

Game is making my pc sweat, dayum.
foda500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #140
Jarkko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazmus View Post
Not yet played, but there is lots of .bik files what can be watched with RAD video player. I think they are the same as X360, quite disappointed.

Some videos are really low resolution, like the talk show. I thought you at least upres that, cause it was kind of funny when in game you watch it with new big HDTV and its really blurry.

Also commentary videos have really low resolution and bad audio quality.

What the hell Remedy
Jarkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #141
voorhees1979

Quote:
Curiosity got the better of me so I uninstalled 12.1/Cap3, installed 8.95rc/Cap3. Same scene is now a steady 60fps with Crossfire now working.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #142
Shimec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwar View Post
Hey, wait a minute. I don't want to spoil the party, but what is this weird-looking texture just outside the window?
You won't spoil anything related to the game.
Shimec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #143
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimec View Post
Spoiler:
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

To everyone who played the 360 version - you might want to check out those QR codes again. Markus went around and changed them all

Remedy's currently known projects:
Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #144
ALPHATT

I'm getting 35-60 on a HD6850 with 4x AA, high FXAA, otherwise all high, default FOV, 1920x1080, 16x AF. It doesn't fluctuate too much and usually keeps above 40, very playable on max.
ALPHATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #145
antti-la

Bringin' the heat, right away!

Played through the dream part, and to point where shit really starts to hit the fans. Would love to go on, but man's gotta sleep you know.

Graphics were right on jaw-drop material, nice work there. I bet back in may 2010 on PC this would have been considered a technical-gem that's ahead of it's time.

Performed playable on 1920x1200@high, didn't benchmark fps but felt smooth enough. (AMD X6 1050T, 8Gb DDR3, 5850 1Gb)

Story wise it started nicely. Maybe a little too soon drop to the emotional stuff. I mean right off the bat "I would never see Alice again" - I dont even know her. All around the dialog seemed a bit off somehow, like watching a foreign language movie, without understanding any of the language, just relying on subtitles... but after the dream part, dialog started to get more "fluid", and was enjoying it a lot.

The biggest problem for now, that really starts to show the age of the game, were the pre-rendered cutscenes. Going from realtime to that is just too much of a contrast literally. Also i found it somehow strange that even the pre-rendered material had some very ugly tree and detail pop-ins. I guess you wouldn't notice them lying on couch playing, but on PC, it really shows up.

Also. Locked doors had a very familiar click-click sound
Last edited by antti-la; 02-16-2012 at 11:30 PM.
antti-la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #146
ALPHATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhbk View Post
What kind of performance should I expect on a GTX 570, 4 GB of RAM, and a Intel i7 950?
Almost steady 60 FPS or better on 4x AA, 50-40 on 8x.

Anyways, thanks for this game, I'm done with the first episode and I have to go to sleep (work tomorrow and all...), but I have to thank the team at remedy for brining us this great game. Keep on rockin'. Also, don't forget about us when making your future games ;P
Last edited by ALPHATT; 02-16-2012 at 11:04 PM.
ALPHATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #147
Paul

Love the game!

The only thing about that pisses me off is that it is midnight and I have to go to work tomorrow.

DAMMIT!
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #148
Skip

Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #149
sidetwo

Formerly of Remedy, currently of awesome.

You guys are awesome. I love reading your posts so much that I probably should be sleeping by now but it's 7am and I've stayed up a bit too long I think.

THANKS for all the comments and love you have given us!
sidetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #150
Skip

You guys deserve it!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #151
voorhees1979

Yeah the game rocks, coming from me who hated the idea Love it to pieces, as said before the only draw back is the cutscenes but we can live with that. Done a couple of hours and love it, but I am due a Fifa 12 match and bed before the wife kills me.

Good job guys
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #152
BozzCollin

Fantastic game Remedy. You did an amazing job on this PC version and i want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this happen We've been waiting so long for this. I hope the launch continues to go well. have a great day everyone! Enjoy the game!

P.S. I'll be giving out those free copies any minute now guys, so be ready!
BozzCollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #153
Wambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozzCollin View Post
P.S. I'll be giving out those free copies any minute now guys, so be ready!
are you in a good mood or do you have too much money? jk
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #154
djshauny1

Ok so the only things ive noticed are the trees flickering/flashing

And when im standing still the camera moves from left to right every 2 seconds (this has only happend once)

So nothing game breaking or anything so far

Appart from that, the game is solid, looks fantastic and runs buttery smooth

Great job Remedy

Im off to play some more

If i find any other issues ill report them back
Last edited by djshauny1; 02-17-2012 at 12:59 AM.
djshauny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #155
BozzCollin

Definitely not too much money. One copy has been sent to Ruuttu, so accept your gift Ruuttu! Alan Wake's beautiful haunting melody is awaiting your arrival on Steam Second "winner" is currently being drawn from a hat of Alan Wake forum members
Old 02-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #156
Morry

Volunteer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antti-la View Post
Also. Locked doors had a very familiar click-click sound
We mentioned this to the team back when the 360 version came out, but it turns out that its not actually the exact same sound, just a coincidence.

Remedy's currently known projects:
Quantum Break - 2015
Agents of Storm - 2014
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #157
voorhees1979

Another forum:

"RadeonPro. Crysis profile and force AFR - crossfire performance rockets! "

Maybe someone can test this?
Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #158
BozzCollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry View Post
We mentioned this to the team back when the 360 version came out, but it turns out that its not actually the exact same sound, just a coincidence.
It was a great sound for me to hear, and I thought of Max instantly. Alan Wake seems to have a few nostalgic elements that hint at Max. Just makes the game that much better.

P.S. The second winner is...... You ready?.... Shimec! Shimec, accept your gift on Steam buddy!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #159
Junkymonkey5

Hey, I just wanted to say thank you to Remedy for such an amazing port of an amazing game. I've just got off from playing 3 hours straight and am just amazed at how great this game is. This has to be one of the most optimized games I have played in a wile and the graphics are nothing but jaw dropping. I've been itching for a game like this for a long time now and I knew holding off on the x-box version would pay off . I've been a fan since the first Max Payne and will continue to buy any future products from Remedy without thinking twice. Thanks guys!!
Junkymonkey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #160
Max86-Ita

Already bought, you guys did an amazing job.

Oh and great choice in using steamworks for Alan Wake, very appreciated.
Max86-Ita is offline   Reply With Quote