Go Back   Remedy Community Forums > Games > Alan Wake

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
MatiasRMD

Remedy
To all the Remedy fans and my fellow gamers!

First of all, apologies, as I don't post here nearly as often as I should! Fortunately, my wonderful colleagues keep this space alive and stay in dialogue with you, the fans (tips hat to Mikki, Markus, Peter Pap, AJ and Co.)

So what brings me here now? Well, I came to work this morning to see and hear about the unbelievable success of the PC version of Alan Wake. WTF!!! It was #1 on Steam this weekend! That’s a big deal. And this time, instead of crawling into the small space in the corner of my office to weep tears of joy (that same space I generally use for weeping over things I can't affect) I instead decided to be a little more productive and say something to you guys, from me and on behalf of my team, about how we feel.

We made it a priority to create the best PC version of the game we possibly could, as opposed to a sloppy port we ourselves would hate to play, and judging by the amount of encouragement and positive feedback that has been pouring in, that’s really paid off! Rest assured that we are still listening to your requests and will maintain efforts to make necessary updates to the build now that it's been released.

So as you well know, just before last weekend we finally managed to release Alan Wake on PC. The response has been quite overwhelming, despite the fact that it took time to get it in the hands of gamers. (Yes, we remember your initial excitement, we remember your petition… and I remember spending time in that same corner mentioned earlier.) Those that have followed us over the 18 years we have been making games will know our heritage in PC and PC gaming. We have always wanted to do a PC version of Alan Wake and with the go-ahead and blessing from Microsoft we started to work hard on creating a version that PC gamers deserve.

So I want to thank our team for all the effort they put into this, I want to thank our partner Nitro Games for development help and doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and I want to thank Microsoft for their support with the original Alan Wake and for their blessing to self-publish this title, which we appreciate a lot. But most of all I'm here to just plain and simply thank all of you. Without you and your continued support we wouldn't be the company we are today, and we wouldn’t be able to come to work every day to create the story-driven experiences we love. This is our job, but entertaining you is our passion!

We're a small company and all this means a lot to us.I speak on behalf of everyone at Remedy when I say that we are very thankful and humbled by your overwhelmingly response.

Cheers guys!
Matias - CEO

P.s oh well, now I went and got myself all emotional! I may just pop over to that corner after all…
MatiasRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Kahr

Volunteer Moderator
Re: To all the Remedy fans and my fellow gamers!

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts with us, Matias. Much love!

"So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"
Kahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
edcar007

Thanks Matias and thank you Remedy.
Now lets all
edcar007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
sebaeer

You diserve all this support. You clearly are a company that cares about their users, not like many others (no names). Hope that you still triumphing in the market and making good desicions.

I was hoping to hear something about the latin american language (yes, I know, i'm getting annoying), but I enjoy reading your thread.

You know what would be awesome?, a photo of the remedy team, so we can put faces to the gods that give to us this fascinating game and charming support.
sebaeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
ALPHATT

Thanks for Alan Wake on PC, I've been dying to play it. Personally I don't think any game should be exclusive to a platform, but money and publishing decisions are a harsh reality. I hope to see all future remedy titles on PC as well, that's where I'll be.
ALPHATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
voorhees1979

Because of the effort you guys put into this, you guys made the best PC game you could without it being a direct port like many other companies do... For that alone you guys deserve a pat on the back and the best sales you can get.

Cheers for making the game the way it is, also the contact between devs/customer I have never seen in any game forum before, so bravo for that as well.

Thanks right back at ya

i5 2500k@4.6ghz with Venom Cooler
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 with 8gb ram
VTX 2gb 6950
Last edited by voorhees1979; 02-20-2012 at 06:07 PM.
voorhees1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Prof.Dr.Moertel

It's well deserved. Hopefully, American Nightmare will be just as successful.
Prof.Dr.Moertel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
yopfraise67

Glad to see Alan Wake #1 on Steam Store
It surely deserves it

More than a Game, this is the company who deserves it most by his open minded about every comments of the community.
Alan Wake surely contains, the best story & script i ever seen on a Video Game.
I'm One of those dreamers who likes philosophy, unknown, and calls themself "Writer" ; and i surely had asked to join your team by sending you a lot of my french work & moved to finland if my english was far better

A Studio like yours is really rare
Last edited by yopfraise67; 02-20-2012 at 06:15 PM.
yopfraise67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
PC Gamer

Thanks Matias & Remedy now please work your magic on American Nightmare on PC as well but this year please guys no lengthy delay again
PC Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Max86-Ita

Thank you for making such a great game.

Oh and using Steamworks was an amazing idea.
Max86-Ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Viceroy Phoenix

Great job Remedy, glad to hear it! I already have Alan Wake on the 360, looks like it's time to spend some dough on a brand new computer, and another copy of Alan Wake!

Check out my Alan Wake personas (for Firefox only) https://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/ga...ViceroyPhoenix
Father Thor...bless this war.
Viceroy Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Ridmar

Thank You Matias,and Thank You Remedy.I really enjoy playing your games and I am gonna enjoy it in future.Thank You Very Much!=)
Ridmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
CocoNUT

All the best to you guys. You deserved it. I'm very happy to hear that PC version is a big success for you. Make a quality product and fans will reward you. And Alan Wake is certainly AAA product.
CocoNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
Chipper3

Picking up American Nightmare as soon as it releases on XBLA.Glad the pc version is doing well. Keep the sells coming.

Now bring on AW 2
Chipper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
thebestbit

Good to see its doing well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ck-in-48-hours

So its that just the money Remedy spent on the PC version or the budget for all things AW? Either way very happy its paid off for them.
thebestbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Thrillermaster

I think such companies (like Remedy) are rare. You have a very close relationship to the fans (if you really are the people who are replying to questions and not people who are payed for replying). And thats the important thing I think. Maybe it is because you started the company in a garage (or was it a basement?). And Alan Wake is great. I hope you and us will spend much time with Alan Wake in the future.
Thrillermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
nickman317

If Alan Wake is popular on Steam... then imagine the popularity on XBLA for American Nightmare! Believe me, I'm buying it day 1!
nickman317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
AhmadMetallic

Waiting for the physical Collectors Edition in March! I want to buy the most expensive edition because you guys deserve all the support!

Remedy getting back into PC development would mean the world, Matias. Max Payne 1 & 2 remain two of the greatest experiences on my PC.

Very excited about the game, very excited about your future games running on my PC, keep up the great work.
AhmadMetallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
MattS

Success well deserved. Kudos to all and yeah, AW: AM day one download for me

Looking forward to more Alan Wake
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
aleks_989

I've have just registered on this forum especially, to thank you Remedy for giving us Alan Wake for PC, which I think is one of the greatest crafted experiences of all time and I most certainly hope it will continue in the future.
aleks_989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #21
denny1514

Your hard work on this PC game has really paid off, im truly enjoying this game. Thanks for taking the time to write.

P.S Its ok to cry in corner.
denny1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
LSKzane

Thank you very much RMD; Retail isnt even out yet, i hope this sells good too!

You totally deserve it!

I've put the Imagination in its Place.
LSKzane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
Alex Fly

Aww Matias... Reading your message made me shed a tear...

Don't thank us, thank you for not forgetting us and giving us a fantastic PC version of the little jewel that is Alan Wake.
I'm so glad to be able to discover it finally after all these years. I thought I'd never had the chance to play it after its cancellation but you'll never stop to surprise me. I didn't see this coming at all !

You deserve the success of this PC version.
You - Remedy guys - are a fantastic and talented company who takes time to produce games of a rare quality (many companies tend to privilege quantity over quality these days), you are close to us and there's a lot of interactivity between you and us.

So for all for this, and for all the fantastic PC games you made (from Death Rally to Alan Wake), let me just conclude by this :

THANK YOU !

Alan Wake on PC ! Yay !
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
TannosukeGR

Thank you for the kind words you shared to every Alan Wake and RMD fan. Whatever you wrote means everything to us as a great solidity and respect to every gamer, and above of all, every hardcore and fan. And with those, you already have our respect and trust to the fullest.

Now you know what does it mean to sell more in PC edition than in XBOX 360. I hope we see American Nightmare and Alan Wake 2(be sure to release it in PC edition first, and later the XBOX 360) in PC, too.

And again, thank you very much, Matias Myllyrrine.

When I get old, I'll have to say some stories with my grandchildren about a great game development company, called Remedy Entertainment, and its... hilarious and amazing people, especially @MikkiRMD.

The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !
Last edited by TannosukeGR; 02-20-2012 at 07:12 PM.
TannosukeGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
ThomaZane

I would've got it on STEAM, but I don't have a functioning PC, only a Mac.
Well, on March you'll release the LCE PC in stores, and it's also my birthday in March, and I'm hoping for a PC, and Alan Wake LC PC edition.

Also, AWAN in 2 days!
ThomaZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #26
asmoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasRMD View Post
First of all, apologies, as I don't post here nearly as often as I should! Fortunately, my wonderful colleagues keep this space alive and stay in dialogue with you, the fans (tips hat to Mikki, Markus, Peter Pap, AJ and Co.)

So what brings me here now? Well, I came to work this morning to see and hear about the unbelievable success of the PC version of Alan Wake. WTF!!! It was #1 on Steam this weekend! That’s a big deal. And this time, instead of crawling into the small space in the corner of my office to weep tears of joy (that same space I generally use for weeping over things I can't affect) I instead decided to be a little more productive and say something to you guys, from me and on behalf of my team, about how we feel.

We made it a priority to create the best PC version of the game we possibly could, as opposed to a sloppy port we ourselves would hate to play, and judging by the amount of encouragement and positive feedback that has been pouring in, that’s really paid off! Rest assured that we are still listening to your requests and will maintain efforts to make necessary updates to the build now that it's been released.

So as you well know, just before last weekend we finally managed to release Alan Wake on PC. The response has been quite overwhelming, despite the fact that it took time to get it in the hands of gamers. (Yes, we remember your initial excitement, we remember your petition… and I remember spending time in that same corner mentioned earlier.) Those that have followed us over the 18 years we have been making games will know our heritage in PC and PC gaming. We have always wanted to do a PC version of Alan Wake and with the go-ahead and blessing from Microsoft we started to work hard on creating a version that PC gamers deserve.

So I want to thank our team for all the effort they put into this, I want to thank our partner Nitro Games for development help and doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and I want to thank Microsoft for their support with the original Alan Wake and for their blessing to self-publish this title, which we appreciate a lot. But most of all I'm here to just plain and simply thank all of you. Without you and your continued support we wouldn't be the company we are today, and we wouldn’t be able to come to work every day to create the story-driven experiences we love. This is our job, but entertaining you is our passion!

We're a small company and all this means a lot to us.I speak on behalf of everyone at Remedy when I say that we are very thankful and humbled by your overwhelmingly response.

Cheers guys!
Matias - CEO

P.s oh well, now I went and got myself all emotional! I may just pop over to that corner after all…
Not to be all gloom and doom, but!

Maybe now you realise we PC gamers ar enot pirates and we Will buy good and decent games.
And next time when you announce a PC game with full bombastic fanfare, maybe also keep your promises.
Directx 10? Not in the PC version of the game!

Furthermore, i know you went for the money and for the 'gauranteed' sale succes on the 360.
But screwing over your Fellow PC game supporters and then 3 years after the initial release within 48 hours making a profit should tell you something.

Remember PC gaming, because it's far from dead esp when you respect us!
asmoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
Daz1967

Thanks for a great game, Remedy. I'm really enjoying the PC version (I'm on Episode 4 right now). I'll also be buying the retail Collector's Edition next month as well as picking up American Nightmare for my 360 on Wednesday.

Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.8 GHz, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB RAM, GeForce GTX 680 SLI, X-Fi Titanium HD, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD (boot), 3TB Samsung hard drives, 2 x Samsung BD/DVD rewriters, Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Daz1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #28
Galactus

Thank YOU!
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #29
Daz1967

P.S. If any of you are mates with Rockstar then give them a gentle nudge and ask them to port Red Dead Redemption over to the PC, will you! Thanks.

Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.8 GHz, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB RAM, GeForce GTX 680 SLI, X-Fi Titanium HD, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD (boot), 3TB Samsung hard drives, 2 x Samsung BD/DVD rewriters, Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Daz1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #30
MikkiRMD

Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestbit View Post
So its that just the money Remedy spent on the PC version or the budget for all things AW? Either way very happy its paid off for them.
Oh, just the PC version, of course! The budget for all things AW would be... considerably higher. =)
MikkiRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #31
ajRMD

Remedy

+1 to what Matias said. Thanks folks, you're awesome!
ajRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
djshauny1

Thanks for the great games Remedy

Will look forward to more amazing games from you guys
djshauny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #33
P43YM

Thank you remedy. You are wonderful company with such a good attitude to users. We love you.
P43YM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #34
policenaut

Remedy is my favorite developer ever! Max Payne 2 continues to be my favorite game of all time. With the new, superior release of the PC version of Alan Wake, it feels like I'm playing it for the first time again. Current video game narratives still pale in comparison to film unless they are made by Remedy, a developer pushing the medium forward in ways that they don't receive credit for. I'm on board for all future releases!
policenaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #35
ryamkajr

Some of you are mistaking what has happened (which IS very good news regardless).

1. AW1 cost a lot of money. A LOT OF MONEY. It took 5 years of development. There were marketing costs (as it were). There were distribution costs. This was many, many millions of dollars. This money was predominantly (or maybe entirely) paid for by Microsoft. MS paid Remedy for the development of the game (within the constraints of their contract).

2. AW1 sold somewhere north of 1.1-1.2 million copies on the Xbox.

3. Of those sales, Microsoft got the vast majority of revenues that came in from either the physical sales and/or digital sales to recoup their costs.

4. Remedy received X%$ subset of this depending on certain criteria of the contract - sales dollars, sales volume, certain milestones....

5. MS may very well have lost money on AW.

6. RMD most likely broke even or made a small bit of money from royalties/whatnot.

Now key to this...

RMD owns the AW intellectual property (IP). MS may own the publishing rights to AW1 (at least on console), but RMD received permission from MS to self-publish. This is key because that means there CAN be more AW in the future, if RMD can make it profitable (and there is not reason to assume they did not and/or cannot).

Now, present day/PC release:

1b. RMD spends $X (of their own money) developing/marketing AW on PC.

2b. RMD/Steam release AW1 PC. AW1 sells X# on steam. Valve get a percentage (e.g., 30%), RMD gets the remaining amount.

3b. Within the first 48 hours RMD sells enough copies on PC to cover the PC development costs.

For the PC release, everything from here.. profit.

Plus there is the retail release, which will have its own quirks for Nordicgames, but from a dev p.o.v., RMD is in the black FOR THE PC VERSION ONLY.

So I just want to put a few brakes on here. The PC version has sold well enough (for now) to cover costs, but ONLY THE COSTS OF THE ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT TO RELEASE THE PC VERSION, but that does not mean that a PC only release of a similar designed game (from a cost/dev) p.o.v., would be supported by the actual and eventual sales numbers for a solely PC release. ADDED TO THIS IS THE FACT THAT MANY OF US ARE DOUBLE/TRIPLE DIPPING purchases of the game. For a single-player game, THIS IS A VERY RARE ACTIVITY. if they were both released at the same time, most double dipppers would more than likely pick one format or the other. Not both.

I see these comments from people saying "see, if you release on PC you will make money" or some variation of that. That is most likely not true. That is a reality. A multiplatform release of this type of game (at its cost point) can only be supported by a multi-platform release.

BUT, THAT BEING SAID!

Yea! for RMD. The game is doing well! More people are experiencing (although a lot are double dipping). Worst case, this is revenue to fund AW2.
ryamkajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #36
Maddieman

Where are my mod tools damn you.

Congrats guys, really well deserved and it's fantastic to see the game finally released on PC. Looking forward to the next instalment of Alan Wake!
Maddieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
Simon_V

@Remedy

Thank u for creating Max Payne and Alan Wake... and thank u for sharing such great story-driven games.

2 days 'till Nightmare

PS: Can't wait for Alan Wake Season 2

#1 Rockstar Games
#2 Remedy Entertainment
#3 Naughty Dog
Last edited by Simon_V; 02-20-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Simon_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #38
WarDragon989

I supported you guys on Xbox 360 and I'll support you on PC. Why wouldn't I support a truely excellent game

Will I need to support you guys on a 3rd platform?
Last edited by WarDragon989; 02-20-2012 at 10:09 PM.
WarDragon989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #39
thebestbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiRMD View Post
Oh, just the PC version, of course! The budget for all things AW would be... considerably higher. =)

Well its still good to know its done well on PC even with the 2 year wait.
thebestbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #40
fightwithlight

anyone that pirates this game is a idiot.

Pay for it. I've tried getting people to "buy" it. 30 bucks, and it's well worth it... every single penny.

Alan Wake is a top 5 game for the Xbox, and clearly the best thriller/suspense game for the console ever....

Nightmare.... when it comes, I'm buying it... and I just just just can't wait.
fightwithlight is offline   Reply With Quote