American Nightmare - completely dreaful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Nightmare - completely dreaful

After playing the original game (which I could play again) I was rather hungry for more.

Then I saw the American Nightmare trailer.

Oh dear, did Redmond (where MS is based in case you are not aware) have more of a hand in this one?

There are too many shoot 'em ups on the Xbox, AW was a welcome change.

If you intend to release any more games in the AW franchise (I hope you do by the way) please bring back the original formula but do a little more TV advertising to increase awareness as I reckon the atmosphere lends itself to some movie trailer type adverts.

Re: American Nightmare - completely dreaful

This isn't a shoot-em-up... this is a spin off, let Remedy have some fun with it. It's fine..
    Awaiting Alan Wake 2 announcement... whenever it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by pctech View Post
      After playing the original game (which I could play again) I was rather hungry for more.

Then I saw the American Nightmare trailer.

Oh dear, did Redmond (where MS is based in case you are not aware) have more of a hand in this one?

There are too many shoot 'em ups on the Xbox, AW was a welcome change.

If you intend to release any more games in the AW franchise (I hope you do by the way) please bring back the original formula but do a little more TV advertising to increase awareness as I reckon the atmosphere lends itself to some movie trailer type adverts.
      It could've been a lot worse. They could've changed every character model, handed the keys to a different developer, changed everything that made the game what it was in terms of style, atmosphere and gameplay, make the visual style all cartoony... That sound familiar to you?

I can't wait to play the original AW on PC when it comes out, and while I've watched entire walkthroughs of it over and over, I haven't been able to play it yet. It doesn't look that different from the original one, and it's not AW2, so I wouldn't jump the gun until I've played it.
      Mirrors are more fun than television.
      Verdict: MP1>MP3>MP2

Comment

pctech,

Why don't you do a bit of research on the web regarding the background and purpose of this game before you just up and run to the web site and bitch about what it is or isn't. This is not Microsoft's game, and yes, the entire world is aware that MS is in Redmond, thank you for that wonderfully snide aside.

You come across as woefully uninformed regarding you p.o.v.

Comment

AW:AN is not AW2.

It is a nice little side deviation to explore some more of the AW universe before they move onto the bigger project of Alice Wake. (my unofficial WIP title, not RMD's)
          Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Comment

Well, they DID state they want to broaden the audience with this title.I don't see how you expected something extremely complex.
              "There's an old tale wrought with the mystery of Tom the Poet and his Muse and a magic lake, which gave a life to the words the Poet used.."

Comment

[MENTION=5494]pctech[/MENTION]
                If I were you, I wouldn't criticize a game that hasn't come out yet...
                http://explodingapples.deviantart.com/

Comment

Well, it's certainly a bit more fast-paced and rather focused on action, but I don't think it distances itself enough from the original (in terms of gameplay) to be called a shoot 'em up

Comment

Is dreaful good or bad?
                    Team Yu
                    https://twitter.com/#!/TeamYuNeedsYOU
                    http://facebook.com/TeamYu

Comment

More action oriented? Yes. But I wouldn't call this a shoot-em-up.

Maybe you've been looking at the ARCADE mode? Which is solely for shooting and surviving? That's not the main game.

On top of that, part of why there is a bigger focus on action is because *surprise* fans were complaining about the lack thereof. NOT ENOUGH WEAPONS. NOT ENOUGH ACTION. TOO MUCH WANDERING THROUGH WOODS.

Pretty sure that's how it went down, and so Remedy listened, but tried maintaining elements of the original game. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.
                      ~Secret crowds rise up and gather~

Comment

I think what Remedy are doing is great. They are releasing more Alan Wake in a very short time frame. I think this release in advertising in way for future disc based installments. It will bring more awareness on the original title and hopefully attract new gamers to the franchise.

Hopefully you will find some satisfaction in the release because remedy appreciate their fans like no other.

Comment

I am all for this one; day one download.....
                          Looking forward to more Alan Wake

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                            I am all for this one; day one download.....
                            Can I join you on that? Buying it Day 1 myself.

Comment

I'm getting AM day one. As far as I'm concerned (which I'm not) this helps break up what AW set up for AW2. Since too much of the style, over saturation, would not be welcomed. This is a different take as far as a Spin-Off is concerned.

And joined with AW, it is a nice treat till the next installment.
                              "Keep calm, and be grateful."

Comment

Working...
                              X