This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare reviews thread

Its definitely not 8 hours of story gameplay...LOL! But every hour you play of it is well worth it. Even with total exploration I would say I clocked in around 5 hours total at tops.

The arcade mode is where your hours and hours will come in 2 play since you have to stay alive at least 10 minutes each time you try to set a score and each level you play.
    XXLGaming Alan Wake Review - XXLGaming Alan Wake's American Nightmare Review
    Microsoft Xbox MVP

Comment

We're really reluctant to come up with any kind of definite number for game time, it can vary so much, but two hours... I have to say that I have never seen anyone in playtesting go through the whole thing that quickly, and they were often playing builds that did not yet have all of the content in place, which obviously cut down on the overall play time. Being an XBLA title, it is a shorter game than the original Alan Wake (hey, it's not costing sixty bucks, either!), but geez, c'mon. =) Just checking out the manuscript pages, radio shows, Mr. Scratch videos on TV and whatnot will take well over an hour, easy.
      Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Well we could name a fair few full priced games that take less than 5 hours to finish

As i said ill be taking my time and looking around. Really cant wait for this.
        Team Yu
        https://twitter.com/#!/TeamYuNeedsYOU
        http://facebook.com/TeamYu

Comment

http://www.gamesradar.com/alan-wakes...htmare-review/

8/10

You'll love

Returning to the unique world of Alan Wake
          The shooting is more fun than ever
          Arcade Action adds lots of replay value

You'll hate

So many fetch quests
          World is smaller than it seems
          Not as scary as it once was
          Team Yu

Comment

17/20 jvn.com

Can't wait!

It seems there's some problems with sub-titles (french); sometimes meaning the opposite of what the characters are saying.

Comment

Alright, my review for American Nightmare has now gone up on Rely on Horror. You can read it here: http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-n...can-nightmare/
              Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by thebestbit View Post
                2hr storyline does not bother me. Ill be looking for all the extra stuff.
                Well, to me 1200MSP for 2 hour game is a major turn off, so might wait for deal of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Wane View Post
                  Well, to me 1200MSP for 2 hour game is a major turn off, so might wait for deal of the week.
                  The game isn't two hours. I hope Remedy doesn't mind me talking about this right now, but what I can report is that my first playthrough took me about 8 hours. Given I did a lot of exploring and collected all but a couple of manuscript pages during my first playthrough. The second playthrough I did, just going from point to point knowing what I had to do and not going after collectibles/exploring, took me about 3 hours.

This also isn't counting Fight Till Dawn mode. I don't know how anyone could reasonably beat it in in two hours, just watching/reading/listening/talking to the optional content is almost an hour and a half itself.
                  Last edited by Dusk Golem; 02-21-2012, 07:03 AM.
                  Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Wane View Post
                    It's absolutely not that short.
                    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

I second Mikki and whats being said. The story mode is NOT a 2 hour game. I beat the story in around 5 hours or so with all collectibles collected (TV's radios, manuscripts). Sure you could buzz right through but it still would take longer than 2 hours unless you skip over everything (dialogue, cut scenes, etc...) and even then i would think its pushing more like 3.

I didn't even mention time in my review because I didn't think it was a problem. Maybe I should put in a revision since this seems to be such an issue. Its a great game..Hands down.
                      XXLGaming Alan Wake Review - XXLGaming Alan Wake's American Nightmare Review
                      Microsoft Xbox MVP

Comment

Originally posted by thebestbit View Post
                        You'll hate

So many fetch quests
                        World is smaller than it seems
                        Not as scary as it once was
                        Personally I never understood why everyone is against "fetch" quests. As long as the game itself is good, I enjoy such quests. Everyone whined on Skyward Sword for having four or five fetch quests, but I love them.

Also, pft, Alan Wake (1) was hardly scary. Thrilling, for sure, but it's not like I had troubles sleeping at night. Unlike... Amnesia...

Comment

Yeah i would hardly say it was scary.

Fetch quests can be fine but a fair few games simply have you walking back and forth between 2 characters who can actually see on another.

Still role on tomorrow.
                          Team Yu

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk Golem View Post
                            The game isn't two hours. I hope Remedy doesn't mind me talking about this right now, but what I can report is that my first playthrough took me about 8 hours. Given I did a lot of exploring and collected all but a couple of manuscript pages during my first playthrough. The second playthrough I did, just going from point to point knowing what I had to do and not going after collectibles/exploring, took me about 3 hours.

This also isn't counting Fight Till Dawn mode. I don't know how anyone could reasonably beat it in in two hours, just watching/reading/listening/talking to the optional content is almost an hour and a half itself.
                            Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
                            It's absolutely not that short.
                            Originally posted by CrazyCougar View Post
                            I second Mikki and whats being said. The story mode is NOT a 2 hour game. I beat the story in around 5 hours or so with all collectibles collected (TV's radios, manuscripts). Sure you could buzz right through but it still would take longer than 2 hours unless you skip over everything (dialogue, cut scenes, etc...) and even then i would think its pushing more like 3.

I didn't even mention time in my review because I didn't think it was a problem. Maybe I should put in a revision since this seems to be such an issue. Its a great game..Hands down.
                            I'll take your word on it.

Comment

Planet Xbox 360 8.5/10

OXM 8.5/10

Comment

http://www.nave360.com/review/alan-w...can-nightmare/

Nave360's review is live

Comment

Working...
                                X