This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare reviews thread

My review for Gamesurf.it 8/10 http://gamesurf.tiscali.it/dynamic/a...INA/recensione

Comment

GamerXchange 9/10

WGTC 4/5

GameRevolution 4/5

GameShark A-

Comment

Here's my review at HugeGamer.com: http://www.hugegamer.com/2012/02/25/...htmare-review/

Comment

My review:

What I liked: Beautiful game, great combat, great story for a downloadable, great and memorable music and set pieces.

What I didn't like: NPC (excluding taken) had stilted animations at times, The dubbing is inconsistent, ending was a slight let-down, no co-op for the horde mode, no difficulty selector for the campaign.

I won't jump into the story too much because this is the forums and everyone should have a basic understanding of the events leading up to this but what I will say is that for a game that lasts around five hours you get a hell of a story… if you've played the first one. The story is completely comprehensible to those who are willing to search out manuscript pages, it took me two play-throughs and a guide to find all of the pages myself but it was completely worth it. The pages don't just reveal why things are happening in Night Springs but a few long-standing mysteries as well such as why Alan's flashlight can be focused and more that I won't spoil.
          The only part of the story that could be considered disappointing is the ending cut scene, there's a lot of buildup but it fizzles with no real sense of accomplishment even though during the ending of the ending sequence I smiled at the heartwarming scene.
          Which brings me to the credits. The fellows at Remedy are crafty little buggers and their song choice is impeccable. (Note to anyone who beats the game, read the last few lines of the credits.) The ending song made me smile and made me glad that I had spent the points on this game on day one. The music is well done all through-out and there are some really memorable game play moments that shine even brighter (no pun intended) due to the excellent tracks. I suppose thanks is due for Poets Of the Fall for providing most of the music.
          The game play is the same as you've come to expect from Alan Wake's first journey except it's tighter and feels a lot more fluid. During one moment I had dodged from a taken, pulled out a machine gun and blew him to high hell all within five seconds.
          Moments like these are grin-worthy and cannot be properly explained. They're moments that really need to be played rather than talked about.
          Speaking of enemies almost all of the enemies from the first one are back (except the speedy ones and the axe throwing ones; good riddance) and more. Now there are giant hillbilly saw wielders and birdmen who cleverly frustrate you as they turn into a flock of birds, and even grenadiers that always know the perfect moment to throw their grenades.
          There's enough variety here to satisfy almost every gamer and it never once felt like I was being thrown enemies just to give me something to do. Every kill that I earned I did so with pride and jumped at the chance to do it again. The only let down of this was that it's a pretty easy game once you get the swing of things. I only died once or twice on my play-through and usually it would be because I was searching for manuscript pages and didn't want to waste my ammo shooting at the randomly spawning enemies.
          Which brings me to the weapons. Every weapon that was included was genius. I loved every weapon equally (okay that's a lie the machine guns were the best!) and they all felt important.
          Moving on to the Arcade aspect Fight 'Til Dawn, things get a bit crazier. I have played through some of the maps so far and I've had a blast doing so. The difficulty spikes with how fast you can kill Taken, you want to kill Taken to raise your score multiplier but by doing so it throws tougher enemies at you raising the stakes and the satisfaction you get from each kill/dodge. The only complaint I have with this mode is the lack of multiplayer. It's fun on your own but other horde modes in other games have done this well and it would be a blast to shoot Taken with a buddy. Along with the difficulty spikes there are maps that you can play on "Nightmare Mode" but a word to the wise it's gonna be bloody and it's not for everyone.

Overall Alan Wake's American Nightmare is a successful semi-sequel spinoff. It hits almost all of the right notes and provides a unique experience for both the new-comer and the veteran.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare definitely feels like an evolution of this franchise and deserves great praise.
          And remember:
          The nail gun is mightier than the sword.

9/10
          Last edited by ShockBox08; 02-25-2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

GameFocus 8.7/10

Hooked Gamers 8.5/10

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBox08 View Post
              ending was a slight let-down
              My opinion about the ending:

Spoiler:
              My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Stammy View Post
                My opinion about the ending:

Spoiler:
                I agree plus *SPOILERS* I was really hoping we could've fought Scratch one on one but oh well I say that the game on a whole well makes up for the fact. So definitely a solid entry that can stand on its own in the AW franchise. They've pretty much just guaranteed a day-one purchase from me on AW 2

Comment

I can kinda agree with the whole "two hours" thing. My playthrough took around 5-6 hours, but with how the game is presented it's pretty much the same first 2 hours of content replayed 3 times; I realize that there are size limitations for XBLA games and they were probably too restricted by that to make a "full" game, but personally I would've greatly preferred an excellent 2 hour experience with more actual cutscenes and a more focused experience than an only "good" 5-6 hour experience that starts to feel samey after the first two hours. I loved the game, but it really just made me want to go back to Alan Wake 1.

Comment

so do the admins of this forum delete bad reviews of American Nightmare because i just can not believe that anyone who loved Alan Wake and the extra chapters liked American Nightmare??

I played about 6 hours, i guess. I got every manuscript, watched every tv episode and listend to every radio show. That was great, as expected. These were also great in the original. I also loved the scenes with mr. scratch (the actor is awesome)

but thatīs about it..
                    If you think about it you play a 2 hour game 3 times in a row... not really anything changes. It might have looked really great on paper but in practise thatīs a damn NO GO in a video game. you do it maybe once at maximum twice and speed it up the second time but not 3 times.. i mean wtf?
                    WHO thought this was a good idea to play the same game three times??
                    i felt like: ARE YOU KIDDING MEE (and do not f***ing say.. "but thatīs exactly how alan wake must have felt")

I guess everybody at remedy which a clear mind was working on Alan Wake 2 because that was a slap in my Alan Wake loving face!

It rally sickens me that remedy tried to sell out to the cod fanbase and tried to mix gears of war and call of duty in a survival horror game with all the weapons you can buy for getting pages.. and for your information putting a song in a game to emphasise the atmosphere or the action.. i just doesnt work. didnt work in halo2..when i think about it, it kinda worked in halo because ITS A DAMN FPS AND ITS ALL ABOUT ACTION oh and it wasnt a song from Kasabian (great band but not really suitable for an epic scene)

all i can say that iīm very disappointed that i spent 1200 ms points -.-
                    And they ruined the mr. scratch part for Alan Wake 2..
                    now iīm really concerned about Alan Wake 2 :O

6/10;( i gave the original AW 10/10)

oh and i dont care for multiplayer or horde mode.. if i wanta play something like that i play gears of war123. ALAN WAKE IS ABOUT STORY YOU KNOW REMEDY?!

back at playing alan wake on pc! (itīs my favourite game)

bye
                    Last edited by mike-al; 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

You do realize that alan wake always was an action game?

It says so on the cover.

Comment

Original Gamer 9/10

Games Abyss 9/10

Comment

Originally posted by mike-al View Post
                          so do the admins of this forum delete bad reviews of American Nightmare because i just can not believe that anyone who loved Alan Wake and the extra chapters liked American Nightmare??

I played about 6 hours, i guess. I got every manuscript, watched every tv episode and listend to every radio show. That was great, as expected. These were also great in the original. I also loved the scenes with mr. scratch (the actor is awesome)

but thatīs about it..
                          If you think about it you play a 2 hour game 3 times in a row... not really anything changes. It might have looked really great on paper but in practise thatīs a damn NO GO in a video game. you do it maybe once at maximum twice and speed it up the second time but not 3 times.. i mean wtf?
                          WHO thought this was a good idea to play the same game three times??
                          i felt like: ARE YOU KIDDING MEE (and do not f***ing say.. "but thatīs exactly how alan wake must have felt")

I guess everybody at remedy which a clear mind was working on Alan Wake 2 because that was a slap in my Alan Wake loving face!

It rally sickens me that remedy tried to sell out to the cod fanbase and tried to mix gears of war and call of duty in a survival horror game with all the weapons you can buy for getting pages.. and for your information putting a song in a game to emphasise the atmosphere or the action.. i just doesnt work. didnt work in halo2..when i think about it, it kinda worked in halo because ITS A DAMN FPS AND ITS ALL ABOUT ACTION oh and it wasnt a song from Kasabian (great band but not really suitable for an epic scene)

all i can say that iīm very disappointed that i spent 1200 ms points -.-
                          And they ruined the mr. scratch part for Alan Wake 2..
                          now iīm really concerned about Alan Wake 2 :O

6/10;( i gave the original AW 10/10)

oh and i dont care for multiplayer or horde mode.. if i wanta play something like that i play gears of war123. ALAN WAKE IS ABOUT STORY YOU KNOW REMEDY?!

back at playing alan wake on pc! (itīs my favourite game)

bye
                          but... i don't... you... i... what?...

*sigh*

okay, have your opinion.

It had a great story and the combat was amped up to an 11 but okay... who am i to not grant you an opinion?

(a genius that's who jk jk)

Comment

GameFocus 8.7/10

Hooked Gamers 8.5/10

Comment

Australian Gamer 95/100

Comment

My Review: A/A+
                                "Now I am become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds"

Comment

Working...
                                X