X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare reviews thread

Gameinformer Magazine--7.75
    "Peace!" This phrase may go against the fact that I play shooting games, but its Digital violence right? :P"

Comment

good game!!!good work remedy !

Comment

Originally posted by mike-al View Post
        and for your information putting a song in a game to emphasise the atmosphere or the action.. i just doesnt work. didnt work in halo2..when i think about it, it kinda worked in halo because ITS A DAMN FPS AND ITS ALL ABOUT ACTION oh and it wasnt a song from Kasabian (great band but not really suitable for an epic scene)
        Yeah. "War" totally didn't work in the first game.

The rest is just you whining and being wrong a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixit View Post
          Yeah. "War" totally didn't work in the first game.

The rest is just you whining and being wrong a lot.
          Are you being serious? That worked for me big time. I replayed that part of the game just to experience that again and again.

Comment

I absolutely loved Alan Wake's American Nightmare. I loved it just as much as the normal Alan Wake game and it's additional DLC episodes. I hope that this leads into some kind of Alan Wake sequel, if Remedy thinks the story can go that way and if they think the script would be strong enough.

Story:
            I've only played the trial version for now, but:
            The way the game is set out, like a Night Springs episode is fantastic. I loved the use of Alan's live actor; it gave an amazing immserive quality to this game. it was a great visual treat. I'm happy that Mr. Scratch was used and his character explained, (I was wondering what he was in the original Alan Wake game) I think he is a great choice for a villian character.

Gameplay:
            I think the faster gameplay is smooth and enjoyable. The faster shooting rate was welcome and it felt like the dodge mechanic had been improved greatly. I would like to see more of this gameplay if Remedy decides to expand the Alan Wake universe. However, in my opinion, I think a darker, more horror-like atmosphere suited Alan Wake better than the increased action gameplay in Amaerican Nightmare. This doesn't make it any less enjoyable, by no means, and I'm aware that this is the direction that Alan Wake's writer wanted to take. I'm the kind of person that agrees with (and respects) the writer's descision since it is their creation; not the fans'.

Enemies:
            The new variety of Taken was a positive and welcome suprise, especially the taken that splits in two when you shine light on it (caught me off guard the first time). This new variety gave this Alan Wake DLC a fresh feel to it; I didn't know what to expect next. I loved the darkness animation that is around the taken and it seemed more violent and powerful to me, than the original game.

Misc:
            I think the way that the manuscripts looked when Alan read them out was alot more unnerving than just having text displayed on screen. To me, that also increased the immersive quality of the game.

Arcade Mode:
            I think that the arcade mode is a great extra, I wouldn't want to see that kind of action in the main story line, but it makes a great extra mode that you can play on the side. I give it my thumbs up.

That's all I can think of at the moment. But if Remedy keeps tally of who would be interested in seeing a full console sequel or a future extension of the Alan Wake universe then count me in.
            Last edited by SlimJimmi; 03-19-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jptk View Post
              Are you being serious? That worked for me big time. I replayed that part of the game just to experience that again and again.
              I was being sarcastic in response to the other poster's comment that "...putting a song in a game to emphasise the atmosphere or the action.. it just doesnt work."

Comment

[MENTION=1]sidetwo[/MENTION] you really need to update the post with all the reviews

Comment

Downloaded the game a few minutes after completing Alan Wake. It's a good game, so much shorter than AW, though. AWAN is faster paced though, in which I thoroughly enjoyed. Great job guys.

Comment

I downloaded AWAN pretty much in the first few minutes after it became available on XBLA and although I played it a short while, I didn't finish it until this week.

The one bad thing that stands out is the repetition (no spoilers, but you know what I'm talking about) which kinda seemed like a cheap way to extend the game, rathar than actually what the devs wanted to do, had they possessed sufficient resources. And yes, I realise they didnt.

The arcade mode in some ways seems more complete - no pretension, just blazing guns and killing. It could use a couple of maps more and most importantly co-op, but I realise implementing something like that probably isn't simple.

But still as an arcade game it's of course as good as they come as far as production values go. I'm somewaht sitting on the fence with the new graphics. AWAN looks very 'clean' for lack of a better expression. I assume this is due to the less sophisticated AA technique. The first Alan Wake (at least on 360) had that misty quality to it's graphics, which looked very natural and pleasing.

AWAN is overall fast food compared to the original title and I truly, truly hope that should there ever be Alan Wake 2, it's going to have every bit of the narrative and production grandeur of the first game.

My score: 8,5/10 as an arcade game
                    Last edited by jkler; 03-31-2012, 12:42 PM.
                    End of the internets

Comment

Alan Wake's American Nightmare Review

Here's my blog review.
                      Visit my Blog: United Federation of Charles

Comment

Buying it either today or tommorrow.

Comment

If I was a Gamer Critic. I would call it 8/10. Great details but I kinda felt going back and doing it again was a cliche. They did improve on some serious factors but I hope when number 2 comes out, they will do more better but to a true fan, they don't care about popularity, They love just admire the game and its makers.

Comment

I'll put it in a nutshell: God, I love this game, I love voices, story and actors, I love the way the story is given, and I love all the people involved in process of creation of this brilliant game.
                            TY!!
                            PS. "Balance slays the Demon" - I haven't enough words to describe this charming song! 10 out of 10!
                            Way to go!
                            ...the magician longs to see, one chance out between two worlds, Fire Walk With Me
                            Support Alan on Metacritic
                            raptr friends are needed

Comment

Bought it on GOG and I have to say, American Nightmare doesn't have the real atmosphere or thrill of the original game, but I can tell this was done on a much smaller budget and short on time. The Groundhog Day 3 map recycling, subpar voice acting, low quality story, and lower quality visuals took away what the original was good at.

That was in comparison to the top notch original which was many years in development and have tens of millions to roll with, but as for a game that stands on its own, American Nightmare is a nice budget title that I'd recommend to some friends if they have a few hours to kill. Probably for $10 myself since I don't really like the Arcade Mode, but that's a personal preference.

Thanks for putting it on GOG, I was getting sick of having to suck off the Valve teet for so long, especially after some awful customer service with them.

Good luck and I hope to play your next game.

P.S. The original Max Payne's were better than MP 3.

Comment

Just finished the story mode.

It's definitely weaker than the original Alan Wake. Especially the female voice acting

I like female protagonists a lot and there are good examples out there but Alan Wake just can't get it right...

- Alice was not believable at all. She felt more like a robot with emotions taken away rather than a real human.
                                - Same with Emma and Dr. Meadows.

I don't know what happened with writing over the years because Mona was believable in Max Payne 1 and 2.

The dialogue system is weak. Press E to get the next dialogue line. OK... But Alan Wake is not an RPG, it's an immersive action game. I listened to every single line expecting for some memorable gems, e.g. "nothing is a cliché when it's happening to you" (c) Max Payne. Yet, there was none. Just generic chatter.

Manuscript pages are still bland and essentially meaningless except that they now unlock goodies.

No story. Looping the same set of scenes three times was an obvious trick to save hard drive space and extend the gameplay 2 or 3 times without adding any real substance (one or two new enemy types doesn't count). At some point it even felt like a bug. Did I choose something wrong that I'm repeating the same scene twice?

The new three-segment health system is a step backward.
                                The new mini-map is overcrowded. Feels like a strategy game, not the survival horror / action game.

The original Alan Wake had a cleaner look.

What positively stands out:
                                - the licensed music - Kasabian - Club Foot in particular.
                                - the original ambience.
                                - the improved gameplay variety.

One of the reasons why I play games is to find good music, so it was worth it

Hail to the audio department!

The writing department, on the other hand, needs to get seriously fresh ideas that are not rooted in the alternate reality.

Overall: 6/10.

Comment

Working...
                                X