Is This Canon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Canon?

I know this isn't Alan Wake 2, but is this Canon in the Franchise?I keep hearing "standalone experience" and that kind of worries me. Because no offense, i don't wanna spend 15 dollars on what is basically a one-shot. So could someone tell me if this canon or not?

Re: Is This Canon?

Not sure what you mean by canon but they say its a "stand alone" game so that interested newcomers won't be scared off or discouraged if they haven't played the original Alan Wake. They can hop right in and enjoy themselves without worry. There will be plenty of content, story elements for returning fans too. This is hardly a throw away "side" game. I am very excited about it, you should be too.

Comment

Short answer: Yes, it's canon.

Comment

I'am excited, i'm just wondering if this is not just a glorified what-if scenario, kind of like Undead Nightmare, yes i know that was DLC and this is Arcade, but i don't want to be tricked into thinking this is a continuation if it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by TashoftheFuture View Post
          Because no offense, i don't wanna spend 15 dollars on what is basically a one-shot.
          lol, so you wouldn't have bought it if it were just a dream we're playing which wouldn't really continue the story?
          Then again we've already kind of played Alans dreams (or should I say nightmares) in the DLCs.
          Last edited by jester131; 02-15-2012, 07:55 AM.
          If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION

Comment

I don't think it's a what-if, and I'm pretty sure it'll be canon, but in a weird way. I don't think it's just a dream. Maybe Alan's old fiction is being twisted around.

Hm... could Alex Casey show up at some point!?
            Time is the fire in which we burn

Comment

It's canon.
              Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Hopefully it'll be cannon too.

BA-DUM PSSH
                "Following a typical nightmare pattern, I was late, desperately trying to reach my destination – a lighthouse – for some urgent reason I couldn’t remember."

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
                  It's canon.
                  Thanks for confirming it.

Comment

No. This is Remedy Entertainment.

Canon is at www.canon.com

:-P

I crack myself up.

Comment

Originally posted by ryamkajr View Post

I crack myself up.
                      No comment
                      Awaiting Alan Wake 2 announcement... whenever it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by ryamkajr View Post

I crack myself up.
                        I am way to sober for that level of humor.....I crack me up too!
                        Looking forward to more Alan Wake

Comment

I always get confused with the way Remedy refers to the DLC and AWAN, but they are all canon and continue the story directly.

I think the wording of things is just to be more approachable.

For this, they call it stand alone so people won't go "OH NO, I HAVEN'T PLAYED THE ORIGINAL". It continues the story and Mr. Scratch won't make a whole lot of sense without playing the original, but you technically don't have to play it to enjoy this, since it takes place in Night Springs and is both directly connected and also separated away from it.

As for the DLC, they kept saying crazy things probably because people were convinced you were "paying for the end of the game" which is far from true.

You get a very clear cliff-hanger ending to AW (without DLC) that is meant to lead into what could potentially happen in a sequel.

The DLC episodes continue the story, but they are not the "ending", and even then, they still end in a cliff-hanger, so nothing is suddenly resolved, and we weren't robbed of an explanation if you didn't buy the DLC.

From the start, they referred to the series as being like a show.

Alan Wake is "Season 1" the DLC were like "lost episodes" or special episodes to get you hyped for Season 2 and American Nightmare is like a TV Movie Special or something with a crazy adventure that isn't quite the next season yet.
                          ~Secret crowds rise up and gather~

Comment

Actually,wouldn't AWAN be more like a spin-off novel, set right season one that does not directly carry on the season-based story, but is set in the same universe and does not directly impact teh main plot line.

Comment

Remedy's being cute about this whole "not a sequel" thing.

AWAN:
                              1. Follows our protagonist after the events of the first game
                              2. Further explores the homicidal antagonist
                              3. Follows events that are going on in Wake's real-world life
                              4. Expands on the original AW story and mythos

AWAN is a sequel, it's just not the sequel they originally planned.

Comment

Working...
                              X