Is This Canon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is This Canon?

I guess it's all in how you look at it. The point is, this is a kind of a side trip for Wake. I'm not saying it's not significant, because it is! But we have also intentionally picked a pretty different tone for the game -- it really is intended to be a standalone thing rather than "season 2" of Alan Wake. Think of it as a TV movie, perhaps?
    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Originally posted by Fixit View Post
      Remedy's being cute about this whole "not a sequel" thing.

AWAN:
      1. Follows our protagonist after the events of the first game
      2. Further explores the homicidal antagonist
      3. Follows events that are going on in Wake's real-world life
      4. Expands on the original AW story and mythos

AWAN is a sequel, it's just not the sequel they originally planned.
      It's not a sequel. If Alan Wake is like season 1, this is like a direct-to-DVD movie.
      Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk Golem View Post
        It's not a sequel. If Alan Wake is like season 1, this is like a direct-to-DVD movie.
        A 5-6 hour movie? Aladdin 2 was a direct-to-DVD release ... and it sucked ... but it was still a sequel.

Semantics. It continues the story; it's a sequel to the game. If this were the exact same kind of game, but led up to the first AW, then it'd be a prequel. Let me put it this way; if Remedy just went with "Alan Wake 1.5" as the title, no one would argue this is not a sequel. But because it's "American Nightmare" it isn't?

At any rate, we're focusing on the wrong points here.

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
          I guess it's all in how you look at it. The point is, this is a kind of a side trip for Wake. I'm not saying it's not significant, because it is! But we have also intentionally picked a pretty different tone for the game -- it really is intended to be a standalone thing rather than "season 2" of Alan Wake. Think of it as a TV movie, perhaps?
          And if I refuse?

Comment

Originally posted by Fixit View Post
            And if I refuse?
            Hell, don't make no difference to me.
            Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
              Hell, don't make no difference to me.
              That's cold, Mikki. Ice cold. I can't wait to Tweet about how mean you and your fez are.

Comment

That is a bad fez, no doubt.

Comment

A sequel, A sequel. Not THE sequel.

As for canon, if it is done by the I.P. creators, or sanctioned by the I.P. creators, it is canon unless explicitly retconned or stated otherwise.
                  "Keep calm, and be grateful."

Comment

Indeed. It's "a sequel", but it's not "the sequel".

Like Fixit said, "Alan Wake 1.5" (although, if more inbetween games come, I guess they'd have to be like Alan Wake 1: Episode 1 for AWAN and Episode 2 for the next one like Half Life or something)

It's a side story, but it's still a direct continuation. A sort of "Departure", but not, at the same time.
                    ~Secret crowds rise up and gather~

Comment

Working...
                    X