Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare FIRST IMPRESSIONs

Originally posted by ThatBadAssMofo View Post
    Off topic: Quick question, is it true patches cost $40,000 to release?
    If thats true then thats just crazy.

Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

• Re: Alan Wake's American Nightmare FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Ive noticed some framerate drops too, it had it in a part of the room (building) where this woman is (doesnt remember her name..) in the drive in theatre.
      I've put the Imagination in its Place.

Comment

Originally posted by deus_ex_machina View Post

It plays exactly like [...]Alan Wake, but it's an arcade game.
        Sorry to nitpick, but there are many fundamental differences in how it plays. Even if we ignore all the new weapons there's still the fact that:
        • Alan can run for much longer periods of time, and as such it's possible to run away from most encounters fairly reliably.
        • The flashlight no longer burns away the darkness (or does any kind of damage) unless boosted.*
        • Flashbang grenades are no longer instant kill weapons. In fact, they now seem to mostly just burn the darkness away, leaving the taken alive and very much still in need of shooting.
        • Ammo boxes now fill every weapon in your inventory (with several notable exceptions of course), which doesn't completely eliminate resource management but certainly makes it much less of a priority.
        • Streetlights now go out when you enter them rather than staying on and providing shelter as long as you need it.

All of these things make a huge difference to the feel of the game in my opinion.
        That's no ordinary sword. In my hands it guarantees freedom.

Comment

^ You forgot some:
          • Health no longer regenerates unless you're in the light
          • Batteries recharge super fast
          • Auto-aim is replaced by Manual aim

All in all, those are some pretty big changes
          Last edited by Nelsh; 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM.
          "Following a typical nightmare pattern, I was late, desperately trying to reach my destination – a lighthouse – for some urgent reason I couldn’t remember."

Comment

Originally posted by Not The Writer View Post
            As a whole the game was...lackluster. I was neither thrilled nor thoroughly displeased after completing the game.

However, I very much enjoyed listening to Alan read every manuscript throughout the game. The voice casting for Alan was superbly done. (I know it's the same as the first, I just wanted to mention this now.) I too was worried that because of the focus on action that the story would be dumbed down a little, but the manuscript pages were still well done. The main story in AWAN was not the most riveting, though. I felt as if AWAN was a cheap, short knock-off of the original.

And don't even get me started on the graphics during cinematics. You can't honestly tell me after looking at those that they're anywhere close to par with the original. The in-game stuff isn't bad, but still the original triumphs.

AW > AWAN.
            You mean the 15 dollar arcade game didn't 'compare' with the 60 dollar, substantially larger ORIGINAL game?

I'm shocked, shocked I say!

Comment

The biggest difference is the feel/atmosphere of the game. Somehow being surrounded by fog and forest is tons scarier than an open desert where you can see the enemies spawning in the distance.
              "Following a typical nightmare pattern, I was late, desperately trying to reach my destination – a lighthouse – for some urgent reason I couldn’t remember."

Comment

Working...
              X