Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My impressions of AWAN, and a mini-rant.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My impressions of AWAN, and a mini-rant.

- Loved it.
    - It looked great, and the gameplay and dialogue fit the pulpy tone.
    - It was repetitious, but I thought the boredom was mitigated well.
    - I'm a sucker for a happy ending.
    - The weapons were a blast.
    - Babes.
    - I don't know how, but I missed a lot of pages.
    - Alan has definitely grown as a character in this one. His self-absorption is gone.
    - The dodges were one of my favorite aspects of the game.
    - I liked the live action cut scenes.
    - I thought the spiders were a little silly.
    - An epilogue showing the fates of Wake's three ladies would've been nice.
    - The return of Christine in the garage was cool. Remedy, now you have to put it in AW2.
    - I don't see how it's possible to get through the game in two hours, as I've seen a couple of people on the net state. Even if it is technically possible to sprint through every encounter and skip every bit of story, what's the point of playing?

Now, to the people saying there was too much action:

There was exactly the same amount of action in AWAN as there was in AW. The same running around, shooting, running some more, quiet time to explore, random sneak attacks... The whole "now it's 2/3 action and 1/3 story" thing is a marketing ploy to draw in new players who may have avoided the first AW because they believed it was a slow-moving psychological thriller. It says "action thriller" right on the AW box, for cryin' out loud.

Was the story as deep or complicated? No. But there's no way it could be in the XBLA format.

Great job, Remedy.

Re: My impressions of AWAN, and a mini-rant.

Thanks Fixit!

Comment

Originally posted by Fixit View Post
      - The dodges were one of my favorite aspects of the game.
      Yeah, the dodging system is something quite unique and it has a more flexible feeling to it than in games with compareable gameplay mechanics (atm I can't think of any, though). The only time when it looks a bit funny is when all you want to do is make Alan run and he starts his sprint with a dodge

- I liked the live action cut scenes.
      I still hope that the Mr. Scratch live action videos will be made available in higher quality than what you see ingame, though.

- I thought the spiders were a little silly.
      He describes it on one of the manuscript pages how they came to be in his reality, that they weren't something the dark place deliberately created to hunt him down. They rather slipped through this dimension crack between fiction and reality or whatever you can call that. Maybe if the dark place created them deliberately we would have gotten rather man-sized spiders instead of those little jumpers. They also didn't really pose a threat at all which might be the main reason why they seem a bit silly to you, Fixit. I think I can't go wrong with the assumption that the death rate caused by spiders is at zero.
      - An epilogue showing the fates of Wake's three ladies would've been nice.
      We get it explained in one of his talks with the doc that they'll just move on and go back to the real world as they know it. At least that's Alans theory on this subject.

- I don't see how it's possible to get through the game in two hours, as I've seen a couple of people on the net state. Even if it is technically possible to sprint through every encounter and skip every bit of story, what's the point of playing?
      When I play through a game it always takes me longer than any magazine or review suggests it takes the average player to beat it. On my first playthrough I kind of rushed through it, though, and missed some radioshows and TV-clips deliberately so that the 2nd playthrough would still hold something new for me. Some of the manuscript pages were really hard to find, though, because I didn't use the radar and I had to scan the entire maps every time I'd revisit it from anew.
      Last edited by jester131; 03-03-2012, 04:59 PM.
      If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION

Comment

I felt that overall the combat was the most improved

Comment

Working...
        X