No female Taken?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No female Taken?

After I finished American Nightmare last night, I was discussing the plot with my mother -- she's watched me play through these games, as she likes the story but isn't a gamer herself -- and she brought up the fact that there aren't any female Taken in this franchise.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but of course she's right. Apart from Barbara Jagger, there are no female antagonists in the game. We see Serena Valdivia has been touched by darkness, but she never goes full-on Taken.

I've wondered about this. Considering Alan is able to shape reality by writing these manuscripts, it's occurred to me that the lack of female Taken could be a subconscious thing on the part of Alan. There's the whole cliche damsel in distress thing that you typically get in horror stories, but also Alan appears to be very protective of the female cast members in American Nightmare, and even though Emma is killed twice by the Darkness, it never uses her to attack Alan.

I wonder if it's just never occurred to the guys at Remedy to throw in some female Taken, or if there's a deeper metaphorical implication to Alan not crafting women into cannon fodder roles in his manuscripts.
    "I'm not afraid to be the center of attention!"

Re: No female Taken?

My guess is that the dark presence simply had other uses for women than using them as muscle against alan.

Comment

I'm surprised the Dark Presence doesn't use women for those nimble, Sonic the Hedgehog-type Taken. Or something along the lines of the Witch in Left 4 Dead (I'm not even a fan of that franchise, and I think the Witch is one of the creepiest enemies in gaming).

I tend to draw a lot of parallels between Alan Wake and Silent Hill in terms of character psychology as it relates to gameplay. There's almost always a psychological reason for the creatures that people see in Silent Hill, and I've sort of applied that same logic to Alan Wake. Given the nature of the narrative, I like to speculate about Alan's psyche.

Comment

To quote myself from another thread:

There's no reason why women couldn't become Taken[.] The prevalence of male Taken has more to do with animation production realities than anything else. The darkness doesn't care about whether you're a man or woman, it's an equal opportunity destroyer of lives.
        To kind of add to that: we would have had to create a completely new set of animations for female Taken. Men and women have different proportions -- generally, women have narrower waists and wider hips, their shoulders aren't as wide as men's, etc. -- and those proportions cause them to move differently. That means you can't just use the male animations on a female character model, it doesn't look right at all. So all you see in the game are male Taken.

But there's no story reason for this, it's just something caused by production realities. We did think about adding female Taken for American Nightmare, but given the scope of the project, it would've just been way too much work.
        Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Women = Money

That's the reality
          Alan Wake will be missed, Welcome Quantum Break
          Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense

Comment

Ah, that makes a lot of sense, Mikki. Thanks for the reply. It sort of strips the varnish off my "Alan's psyche" theorizing, but it's good to know the reason!

I wonder if we'll see female Taken in Alan Wake 2, then? Man, it's going to be a long wait for more Wake.

Comment

There's a fine tradition of Fanon theories out there to cover production realities.

My take on the subject is Alan doesn't want to admit he shot and killed a dozen women and thus writes it out of "Departure."
              Visit my Blog: United Federation of Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Phipps View Post
                There's a fine tradition of Fanon theories out there to cover production realities.

My take on the subject is Alan doesn't want to admit he shot and killed a dozen women and thus writes it out of "Departure."
                Weeeell, it's not like Wake has killed a bunch of men, either. We explicitly state on a number of occasions that the Taken aren't human. These aren't people who're being possessed or something.
                Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post

To kind of add to that: we would have had to create a completely new set of animations for female Taken. Men and women have different proportions -- generally, women have narrower waists and wider hips, their shoulders aren't as wide as men's, etc. -- and those proportions cause them to move differently. That means you can't just use the male animations on a female character model, it doesn't look right at all. So all you see in the game are male Taken.

But there's no story reason for this, it's just something caused by production realities. We did think about adding female Taken for American Nightmare, but given the scope of the project, it would've just been way too much work.
                  Well then you know what to do for Alan Wake 2. Hmm.

And that quote was from an article I started.

Comment

Weeeell, it's not like Wake has killed a bunch of men, either. We explicitly state on a number of occasions that the Taken aren't human. These aren't people who're being possessed or something.
                    Understood, Remedy.

One thing I did like, though, is that the game nicely remembers what many zombie movies or games doesn't that the people are innocent victims murdered to provide Alan Wake his canon fodder. Rusty and Mister Stucky were tragedies.

Later, you see all the abandoned cars and even a schoolbus to know where all those Taken come from.

American Nightmare confused me whether or not the Taken created by Mister Scratch were supposed to be real people he'd possessed or monsters created in the Dark Presence. After all, they just sort of floated up from the oil wells.
                    Visit my Blog: United Federation of Charles

Comment

Mr. Scratch's Taken are also different from the Taken in the first game in that they're entirely mute. I didn't realize it until I went back and played the original again, but I really missed how chatty the Taken were.

I occasionally phone my best friend's voice mail, say "Omega three fatty acids are good for your heart!" in a gravely snarl and then hang up.

Comment

I hope remedy can make a Justin Bieber taken, So I can at least try to shoot it off.
                        "Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree!” -Altair

Comment

Tell that to the Mass Effect guys!

Comment

I don't think the identity or sexuality of characters that want to kill you is really important?.

Comment

Originally posted by VesselOfLights View Post
                              I don't think the identity or sexuality of characters that want to kill you is really important?.
                              I think its more about the fiction then the importance of what gender the taken trying to kill you are.
                              If while playing you notice all taken are male then you wonder why that is.
                              And so you wonder if the darkness can only control males or whatever etc.
                              As already said I presume its just the complications of different movement animations and whatnot..

Comment

Working...
                              X