Difficulty settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty settings

So I know this has been asked before but it was during the days of the initial release of AWAN and there was simply too much activity not only on the boards but I'm sure at Remedy as well. Now that things have died down and the future plans are underway...

Are there any plans for a difficulty settings patch on the X360 version of AWAN. I know the PC guys got one so I was wondering if there is anything like that coming for us.

Re: Difficulty settings

Xbox360 patches can be an expensive ordeal, which dissuades a lot of developers from patching non-critical items. I once heard about a cost estimate from another developer who reckons it was about $20,000 to submit a new patch to Microsoft.

Steam, on the other hand, is free
    Remedy's currently known projects:
    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

As far as the cost goes, Morry is correct in that it is very expensive (I'm not sure about the exact price, but I believe it's much more than $20K), but it's also important to remember that these are the sort of decisions that are ultimately made by the publisher. The PC version is a different story -- we self-published that, so it was a decision we could make on our own.
      Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

$20k?! Wow, M$ eats too much money...

Comment

Well, they have a certification process that exists to ensure that if somebody releases a patch, it doesn't break the game. Imagine getting that "hey, you have to update this game before you can play it" message, and then the game no longer works. That would be awful. I mean, Microsoft doesn't just take the money and pocket it (in our case, they'd be paying themselves), they don't charge you for the right to release a patch, they charge you because the certification process is kind of complicated and time-consuming.

Steam doesn't have the same certification requirement, so if there's a big mistake in the patch, the fans have to pay for it, and a developer can -- in theory -- just release a really crappy patch and then not fix the things they just broke, and there's very little anybody can do about it.

So the certification isn't a bad idea in itself, it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, the process is... I'm just gonna say "not very streamlined."
          Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
            ...they don't charge you for the right to release a patch, they charge you because the certification process is kind of complicated and time-consuming. ..
            And THATS what i simply can not believe.
            I've put the Imagination in its Place.

Comment

Well, that doesn't make it any less complicated and time-consuming. =) Their TCRs (technical certification requirements) are fairly extensive... and honestly, it's not that hard to understand why that is the case if you look at it from their point of view. For them, it's a really big priority to ensure that the games on their platform work properly, and a part of that is making sure that patches work properly, and really, the only way to ensure that is to have patched products go through extensive testing before a patch is approved, and and that's neither quick nor cheap to do.

(To be clear, I'm not saying that this is a flawless concept that should not be criticized. But it's not that hard to see where they're coming from with this.)

Comment

Aww :/ Welp I had to ask.

Thanks anyway guys.

Comment

Wow, I don't know why, but it actually never occurred to me that developers would have to pay to submit a patch. That's interesting. I understand MS's desire to maintain integrity, etc., but that still seems like an unnecessarily huge expense. Is there variation in the cost, like depending how extensive the patch is?
                  Fandomania.com // Raptr Profile

Comment

Drats....I was hoping that a difficulty patch had been released for the 360.....that was the only issue with American Nightmare for myself - too easy

Gonna upgrade my PC and play Alan Wake and American Nightmare the 'correct' way
                    QB looks NICE

Comment

Working...
                    X