Worst Sequal Ever...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Sequal Ever...

I was a HUGE fan of the first Alan Wake game, the story was riviting, the visuals were impressive, the characters were interesting, and the game had an atmosphere.

Going into Alan Wakes American Nightmare, I WAS MASSIVELY disappointed. So disappointed, I feel I need to let the developers know just know bad this game is.

Things I hate:
    -This game has no atmosphere at all
    -The new narrator is really boring
    -Live action was really dumb.
    -The visuals are MUCH more cartoony.
    -There is no realism at all to this game
    -The new UI is terrible
    -There is no story at all

Really remedy, after the first one I expected a lot more...

Re: Worst Sequal Ever...

It's not a sequel.....
    Am I the only one who thought AN had a better atmosphere?
    And literally all of the things you posted are literally opposite or really good in most peoples eyes...
    If you hated it so much why did you decide to name your account after it?
    Mulligan's no.1 Fan

Steam ID

Comment

As previously said, it's not a sequel.

I believe it was stated from beginning, that this game was not going to be anything like the first game. I understand though if you were disappointed.

As for the story being bad, the devil is in the details. You need to see what is written, and also what is implied.
      There's also some extra info on how the Alan Wake universe works.
      How can you not love Mr Scratch!!

Don't worry, the Alan Wake sequel, will (knock on wood) continue the first games path, in terms of atmosphere.
      I don't wanna be buried in a pet cemetary

Comment

As you spell it,

Its not a sequal.

Comment

I think the game was more of an experiment then anything else tbh
          Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Originally posted by alanwakeAN View Post
            There is no realism at all to this game
            It seems like a lot of your problems stem from the fact that the game has a slightly different tone than AW. That's intentional. AW's story follows Alan's manuscript which is a horror novel. AWAN follows Alan's manuscript which is a TV episode à la The Twilight Zone. It's meant to come off as more pulpy. The narrator, setting, enemies, plot, and pretty much everything else reflects that.
            Fandomania.com // Raptr Profile

Comment

Just to get you to understand better, I figured I'd also let you know that this isn't a sequel.
              Awaiting Alan Wake 2 announcement... whenever it comes.

Comment

Sad but true - it's not a sequel and it's awesome!
                ...the magician longs to see, one chance out between two worlds, Fire Walk With Me
                Support Alan on Metacritic
                raptr friends are needed

Comment

AW had realism? I mean did we play the same game with a massive tornado chasing him? A women with a hole in her chest? A man in a divers suit floating around and talking to AW from the sky?
                  How about those Taken that just appear from nowhere and slowly vanish when Alan steps into the light?
                  Team Yu
                  https://twitter.com/#!/TeamYuNeedsYOU
                  http://facebook.com/TeamYu

Comment

Well, AWAN certainly would have been major dissapointment as a sequal (but it's not as many have pointed out). But it's great snack between full releases. I love Alan Wake more than Alan Wake's American Nightmare, that's for sure.
                    My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

Hey all. First time poster here. I recently finished both AW and AN and found them very good. But onto the current thread itself.

Why isn't American Nightmare considered a sequel? I thought they tied it very nicely to the original Alan Wake. I found the whole point of AN was so that Alan would stop Mr. Scratch from being at large and reeking havoc in his life.

And I remember Alan saying that the story in AN was only inspired by some episodes he wrote for the Night Springs TV show. But that what he was going through were actually things he wrote while still trapped in the Dark Place. I mean at the end of the credits we see that the name of the episode is "Return", the same name that we see at the end of the The Writer DLC.

So I'm of the opinion that all the events of American Nightmare very obviously following the events of the original. Mr Scratch was spawned at the end of the original, and in AN he sets out to stop him.

Maybe you guys mean as a full sequel, as in a full game? But story-wise I don't see why the events in AN aren't cannon.
                      Last edited by danutz_plusplus; 08-21-2012, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
                        Maybe you guys mean as a full sequel, as in a full game? But story-wise I don't see why the events in AN aren't cannon.
                        Of course it's a sequel as it continues AW's story but as you said it's not full-sized sequel and we can't judge it as one. I liked Awan though it wasn't as good as original but as arcade game it was good.

Comment

Yes, it is canon and a continuation of the story. It is a sequel in a narrative sense but not considered a full sequel because of the nature of it being a shorter arcade game. In other words, it would be unfair to compare it to AW because they are not of equal length or depth.
                          Fandomania.com // Raptr Profile

Comment

a 1gigabyte Hi res game, a short spin off, i must say it is beautifully handled in order to be an long game with low data. i dont like the arcade, but the story is truly awesome.

Comment

Best "spin-off" I could imagine! Can't wait to play it again (and again, and again..). Still going through (and loving every minute of) Alan Wake again and finding new stuff. Having fun. Being entertained. And that's what it's all about! Being entertained.

Comment

Working...
                              X