Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice game concept, but TERRIBLE game design skills...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice game concept, but TERRIBLE game design skills...

I don't think that Remedy realizes that shaders are EXTREMELY processor intensive. Shaders are the biggest thing that eats up memory and processing time due to the math involved in calculating the vectors and translucency among other things. If a shader moves, it needs to be recalculated as it's position changed, for every frame that it moves within. Objects out of the FOV (field of view) do not need to be drawn, but they are cached so that the engine can pick up where it left off when the player looks in that direction again and it makes the game play more seamless.

Games that use shaders sparingly will perform well on most modern computers. (Modern in terms of when the game was made.) So, what does Remedy do? They stick moving shaders on every single character (the "darkness") and when you shine your light at the character you're light is a shader as well. Then they add a particle system to show the darkness being burned away and that particle system is pretty intensive as well. It hurts the game even more when you have to render shaders for environment objects and lights as well. They make everything happen in the dark and that's useful as it takes away much of the environment shaders they would have used if they rendered the place sunlit, though.

When you HAVE to look at the enemy characters to "light them up" and then light them up (lol) you have to have all kinds of shaders in your view. When there are multiple enemies, you have layered shaders that need to be calculated against each other as well as the environment. This means that the engine will start dropping frames to "play catch-up" with the processing lag and thus, in time critical environments like Arcade Mode, you find yourself bombed with enemies that you struggle with the lag in order to kill off. This makes the game nearly impossible and I'm surprised I'm actually able to beat the game and ace the arcade levels even though I can't get some of the Steam achievements. (I've come close, though.)

A MUCH more practical way of doing this as the "darkness" shaders are part of the plot line, would be to use a SMALL shader on the enemies' eyes and feet and not all over their body. If you add in whiter skin color on your skins for when they have the darkness on them, then drop it when the darkness is removed, it'll help identify that they're cloaked still. Also adding a small ember effect to their feet would help as well and that can be done by skinning and object based lighting. Have the object emit a small amount of light to make sure you can see it in the dark, but not enough so that they're glowing. Heck you could put them in the same skin and tell the engine to render a different place on the skin after they loose their cloak and this will save processing time instead of using separate skins.

Now for the record, I don't have the word's best graphics card, but it's not the bottom of the barrel either. So, here are my system specs that would be useful in seeing that it lags on even on custom high end systems.

Graphics card: ATI Radeon 4800 series with 512 RAM (Like I said, not the best, but not a throw away card or run off the MB. It has an upgraded cooling unit as well.)

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz quad core processor
    RAM: 8GB of DDR3 clocked at 1333MHz

I hope this suggestion will be used in future releases.

• Fixit
    replied
    Re: Nice game concept, but TERRIBLE game design skills...

Originally posted by LightworkerNave View Post

Well something makes the game lag heavily while I look at characters in American Nightmare. With the original game, it runs flawlessly.
    Oh, in that case, you should definitely jump right to insulting the game designers.

Leave a comment:

• LightworkerNave
    replied

Originally posted by djshauny1 View Post
    Not suprised its not running super great with that dozer and gpu lol
    The only thing low grade on my system is the graphics card, but keep in mind that it's not the worst card I could be using. It's less about my system and more about the way the game was designed. You said you weren't surprised that it's running poorly on bulldozer architecture as well. What's so bad about bulldozer?

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
    This is more a game design choice than a performance choice. We did many different tries for the taken effect, and really found that subtlety doesn't work. In the end we ended up with what we ended up with...

The shaders and particle effects on taken are not really that performance heavy. Lights and shadows are way more pixel bound. Flares and flare gun even more.
    Well something makes the game lag heavily while I look at characters in American Nightmare. With the original game, it runs flawlessly.

Leave a comment:

• MarkusRMD
    replied

This is more a game design choice than a performance choice. We did many different tries for the taken effect, and really found that subtlety doesn't work. In the end we ended up with what we ended up with...

The shaders and particle effects on taken are not really that performance heavy. Lights and shadows are way more pixel bound. Flares and flare gun even more.

Leave a comment:

• djshauny1
    replied

Not suprised its not running super great with that dozer and gpu lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X