Old error, still glitchy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Old error, still glitchy

Okay, i've read trough a few forum posts, and i have tried to figure this out, but my problem is familiar.

I started gaming American Nightmare today, after finishing alan wake a week ago, and i played it for 3 hours, and quit the game to edit some footage, when i now try to launch it, the game shuts down after the "remedy" intro, and the error message "Could not read from file 'File residing in memory'"

Now, i've tried shutting down X-fire, skype and all other programs, i've also run into the "remedy" folder in my documents, only to find the "resolution.xml", no others.

I've also tried to create a own (empty) "config.xml" file with notepad, which made the screen stay progressing around 10 -20 seconds before shutting down after the remedy intro (also, black screen after the intro).

And last, but not least, i've tried verifying the files, which also files. As a attempt to fix this, i deleted some files from the steam/AWAN folder, and after re-downloading them (kept data files/videos), i still got this, so i'm down to asking here, as a last attempt (seeing it as re-installing didn't help any).

My setup is:
    System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64-bit
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
    Ram: 2 GB
    Graphic Card: GeForce GTX 460 v.306.97

That sums it all up to all i know, i hope someone are able to help me out there, and thanks for putting time and effort into this!

-Sincerely, h0tWalker
    Random let's play you say?
    Click me!

Re: Old error, still glitchy

With your video card drivers, have you tried updating / rolling back the version?
    Remedy's currently known projects:
    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Just updated my driver 30 mins ago, and it still gives me the error, i find it kind of strange that all that have helped others doesn't seem to fix my game :x

Well, thanks for putting off some time mate!
      Click me!

Comment

I kinda forgot to say this earlier, as i kinda gave up on the game, but seeing it as i have nothing to do now days, i really want to finish it.

I've updated my drivers twice and it still doesn't work, and i'm now lost for words to how it could take a turn like this :/
        Click me!

Comment

Are you running the GoG version?
          These people had the same message error. Trying running through some of their solutions:
          http://community.remedygames.com/showthread.php?t=8782
          Remedy's currently known projects:
          Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

I looked there before i opened this topic, and then seeming as non of them helped me, i started this topic in search for help.

I am running a Non-GOG version, the normal i would assume then.

I've tried to go to my remedy folder in documents, only to find a 'resolution.xml', and when the game crashes i'm unable to validate the files, it gives me the following message when i hit "Validate":
            "Please exit any running games or tools before attempting to verify your game cache", and looking at Windows Task Manager, it is no games or tools related to steam or the game :x

When i validate it after restarting steam, it says "All files successfully validated", and when i launch the game, i get the same error and become unable to verify again due to steam giving me this message after the crash.
            Click me!

Comment

Hmmm, it sounds similar to my problem I had earlier with another game. We have the same company, so try to do the following.

Because I think it's the PhysX doing this, try to delete it, and go download the version 9. I think Steam do provides it in the folder "redist" or something else. once you have done that, try playing it.(DON'T UPDATE THIS PhysX later);

It could be a problem regarding your own graphic card.

If it's not the PhysX, then you should contact NVidia to solve this weird problem.

edit: I forgot to add another solution for this. If your anti-virus is acting up in these files, try to deactivate it temporarily and go play it. It happened to me in the other game I had.
              Last edited by TannosukeGR; 01-14-2013, 07:34 AM.
              The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, tried all, so i assume i'll have to catch up with Nvidia, thanks for your time
                Click me!

Comment

Working...
                X