X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sidetwo
    started a topic Community Interview with Remedy

Community Interview with Remedy

A week or so ago we gave the chance for our forum members to submit some questions for Remedy to answer, coupled with some questions on behalf of AWN we decided to sit down with Sam Lake and Petri Järvilehto to shine some light (excuse the bad pun! - ADM) on some much needed answers.

Sam Lake has been with Remedy since 1996, and is one of the key figures behind the company. Lake wrote the story and screenplay for both Max Payne games. His pioneering work in writing for the video game medium is recognized throughout the industry. Before his career as a writer, Lake studied the English language and literature at Helsinki University and screenwriting at the Theater Academy of Finland.

Sam is the Lead Writer on Alan Wake.

Petri Järvilehto is one of the founding members of Remedy (the company was founded in 1995). Järvilehto worked as the Project Lead on Max Payne, and as the Lead Game Designer on Max Payne 2. He is passionate about finding new ways of creating intense cinematic action in video games, something that became the trademark of the award-winning Max Payne series.

Petri is the Lead Game Designer on Alan Wake.

Without further ado heres the Interview!

AlanWake.Net: One of the things that many people asked for in the Max Payne series was Multiplayer. What was the reason for excluding it in Alan Wake? How will you be able to tackle replay issues?

Sam Lake: Just as we did with the Max Payne games, we are concentrating on building the best possible single player experience. For a small company, it’s very logical and necessary to concentrate on doing one thing really well, instead of dividing your resources. Also, the story is an important part of Alan Wake, and that is something that doesn’t translate well to a multiplayer game.

We have all kinds of ideas related to replayability, but we want to prototype them further before we’ll talk about them.

AWN: It has been said that there is quite alot of middleware in the game that the mod tools might not be released. Should fans be worried about this or will you pull out every stop to make sure mod tools get released? If they do get released will they be even more 'powerful' as the Max Payne tools?

Petri Järvilehto: We’ll do all we can (so don’t panic or anything yet :-). And yes, we’ve learned a lot from building the Max Payne tools, and even though the toolset for Alan Wake is pretty different, it’s certainly a very powerful and flexible set of editors.

AWN: Many people are wondering who Alan Wake is modelled after. Care to clear that up?

SL: We are using a professional Finnish actor as a model.

AWN: How interactive is the town Bright Falls, is Alan able to interact with NPC's or the buildings itself in some way?

SL: Yes, entering buildings, exploring the indoor locations and interacting with the NPCs are all important parts of the game.

AWN: Alot of people are comparing this game to Grand Theft Auto, what makes Alan Wake different?

SL: Alan Wake is more tightly character-driven and story-oriented. Meaning that the player’s goals and missions are closely focused around Alan Wake and his story. Also, the setting, the tone and the game being an action thriller all set it clearly apart from the GTA games.

AWN: Are you suprised at how many people from the Max Payne community have jumped ship to support you? Would you say those who did enjoy Max Payne would feel quite at home with Alan Wake?

SL: We’re thrilled about the positive response we’ve gotten for the game. And yes, Alan Wake is a Remedy game, and it will have many of the same qualities that the Max Payne games had.

noah: Will there be non-threatening wildlife around Pride Falls?

SL: Wildlife, yes; non-threatening, depends on who you ask .

Thermoptic: Max Payne's combat system with the third person view with bullettime dodges was something new and revolutionizing, and gave the players a new way to experience the game. I would like to know more about the combat system in Alan Wake, and what the character will be able to perform? And will there be something new that we haven't seen in a game before?

PJ: Yes, we believe that our approach with Alan Wake will provide the players with a new take with the combat style and gameplay. We’re not revealing any details yet though.

Zen: Since Alan Wake is a free-roaming game, will players have to complete a certain amount of missions in order to unlock more areas in the town, or is everything accessible right off the bat?

PJ: We’ll open more of the game world as the game progresses. The area is so large, that we want the players to become familiar with a smaller subset of the world, before we introduce new locations and new areas.

Zen: Will the order that you complete missions affect the way the story is told? Also will there be alternate solutions to solving missions?

SL: The basic idea with the free-roaming world is that we give the player goals, and then the player can go about achieving those goals in the way he chooses. There is also going to be some controlled branching in the story.

DEATH eVADER: I noticed that the Alan Wake environment seems to be very lush in terms of foliage use and I was wondering if the optimizing middleware program speedtree was being used to generate the trees and the grass?

PJ: No, we are not using SpeedTree. All of the foliage and trees have been created by our art team.

jared14: What others things could happen at nightime in Alan Wake besides those robed figures that was shown already behind closed doors.

SL: Without revealing too much, I can say that night equals danger and action in the game, and that in turn contains a lot more than “those robed figures”. What’s more, Wake’s strange dreams play an important role in the game (much more so than Max Payne’s dreams did), and dreams, as we all know, are often seen during the night.

satan: Is Remedy still using the Lumigraph Radiosity Tech. for its respective purpose? Or has a modified tech been developed for more precision and which would be also compatible to huge outdoor environments. On second thought, since all lights are dynamic, has it been dumped?

PJ: It’s all completely new technology. Some of the initial tech targets that we set for ourselves (completely dynamic lighting, large outdoor areas, single seamless world) were things that made it very clear that the Max2 tech couldn’t be extended far enough. So we basically started this project from a clean slate and started building new tech, lighting and gameplay functionality for a completely new engine.

[HP]: How is the average day for a Remedy Employee?

SL: Lots of work, but in a good way . In all honesty, it’s very hard to describe an average day of a Remedy employee, partly because so much of that depends on the stage of the project, and even more so, because a company like Remedy contains a wide variety of people working on a wide variety of tasks, such as programming, graphics, gameplay, story, sounds and music. For each of us, an average day is quite different. I can tell you one thing, it’s never boring.

I would like to thank Sam, Petri and the rest of the Remedy staff for participating in this Interview. Big thanks goes to Mika Reini for organising it all as well

I would also like to thank those who submitted questions for this Interview, for those who submitted questions that weren't used I apologise but they'll be many more chances in the future!

• ||G||
    replied
    Re: Community Interview with Remedy

Iam so so so so happy to hear that it is a free-roam game. I find the non free roaming ones are way to short.

I can't really see this game (from what we know so far) online. Unless it's a Co-Op storline online type, then I guess that's a totaly differnt story...

Leave a comment:

• Morry
    replied
    Re: AlanWAKE.net Community Interview with Remedy

If you have any questions you would like answered in a future fan interview, leave them in the following thread and I will add them to the list.
    http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showpo...95&postcount=2

Leave a comment:

• wakefan
    replied

I am hoping for a 2nd fan interview very soon!

Leave a comment:

• satan
    replied

Damn, I curse Remedy for warming me up to get this game. Seriously, this is more than what I had even expected. WOOT WOOT.

Leave a comment:

• 1988anil
    replied

Very nice feature, thanks (:

Leave a comment:

• remade
    replied

Originally posted by Mariamus
    they all just left Mika to be the victim of my fangirlishness. mwahahaaaa!
    So,here Alan Wake Commynity is also girl fan!
    That is great

Leave a comment:

• Mariamus
    replied

Of course not.... much...
    they all just left Mika to be the victim of my fangirlishness. mwahahaaaa!

Leave a comment:

• billerr
    replied

oh, Mariamus, you seriously didn't thing they're avoiding you, right?
    some people...

Leave a comment:

• Mariamus
    replied

Originally posted by PetriRMD
    I'm sure we can arrange something along those lines once we start talking about the game again.
    I did say I would like to do a video interview, but you all had to run off on vacation the same week I go to Finland... it's almost like you knew I was coming.. hmmmmm
    Damage control?

Leave a comment:

• PetriRMD
    replied

Originally posted by remade
    I wondering can we do another interview,before game is out?
    I'm sure we can arrange something along those lines once we start talking about the game again.

Leave a comment:

• remade
    replied

I wondering can we do another interview,before game is out?
    I joined Alan Wake Community just a little too late to catch ask also something about the game.

Leave a comment:

• billerr
    replied

hey,great interview.RMD go all the way to fill in their fans on AW world, don't they?

And I'm happy to see that their answers are soo careful so that they do not spoil the surprise, too.

Leave a comment:

• freethy
    replied

Originally posted by Morry
    We don't know if the dreams will be interactive thus far, but we're assuming so.
    Maybe his dreams haunt him in the dark? That would be a cool touch

Leave a comment:

• Morry
    replied

Originally posted by hellsing
    hmm s does that mean that how you act in his dreams detirmines what areas open and what stuff like the rockslide in the trailer occur?
    We don't know if the dreams will be interactive thus far, but we're assuming so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X