Prototype releases?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype releases?

A while ago, I went back to look at my Collector's Edition extras for Alan Wake and can't say anything else, but holy crud the game changed during it's development. The trailer for 2005 doesn't even remind me of the final game. So I was wondering: Has Remedy had any plans about releasing old Alan Wake prototypes, those ones for PC from way back, 2006 I think. I know it probably won't happen, as there are plans for a sequel, but it isn't prohibited to ask, right?
    The "Alan Wake development history" fanatic strikes again!

Re: Prototype releases?

They probably won't release that stuff due to legal issues. But I know some fans that got a hold of the free-camera mode. They could freely roam the whole map using this. You might be interested in that.

Comment

Yes, I've looked into that already, but I was wondering more about the cut music pieces, early story ideas and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by CatoNator View Post
        Yes, I've looked into that already, but I was wondering more about the cut music pieces, early story ideas and so on.
        Early story ideas are presented in the Alan Wake illuminated book. But I am not sure about the early music and all that. You might want to ask that to Petri Alanko through twitter.

There are some interesting stuff in the book. For example Alan Wake was originally planned as a fantasy game with elemental enemies. Sarah Breaker wasn't originally a sheriff but a love interest for wake, and a sculptor.

Stucky and the kidnapper changed places. There was train level, right after the coal mine level. There was a massive forest fire level, and the cable lift was originally there.

There was a sea plane related to the train. There were agent Nightingale levels planned but got cut. He was also going to come with sheriff breaker and Alan Wake during chapter 5.

Barbara Jagger might not be the original face of darkness, and she was going to narrate the yellow writings around the Bright Falls.

There are more stuff in the commentaries, Alan Wake files, and the Alan Wake illuminated.

Comment

Hmm, I ordered Alan Wake: Illuminated. I'd really love to hear the original E3 2005 trailer music.

Comment

It's a wonderful book, my friend! I don't want to make spoilers, but it's amazing in perspective of the ideas that never came to the final game.

Comment

I still wish we could get some of the music used in early versions. I liked especially the racks used in the E3 2005 trailer, the calm one, and the one used in the IDF 2006 intro cutscene.

Comment

Double post. Does anyone happen to still have a clip of the gameplay tech demo from X06?

Comment

I hate to bump this old topic, but I since people have recently requested hq versions of the QB gameplay, I could post my request to the Remedy forums as well. I've been doing research about the long and convoluted development of Alan Wake (Here's a WIP version) and I'd like to request two video clips.

I know there's a video of the E3 2005 demo, I think it's courtesy of sidetwo. I have a bunch of screencaps of it already, but the original clip is always better .

The X06 Trailer and the Xbox 360 Montage seem to use one long gameplay footage of the demo, and I suspect Remedy never got rid of any old footage of the game because it could be useful in the future.

I was originally gonna e-mail this to Remedy, but the plan crashed because I was unsure of what address to use. It's very unlikely that I'll ever get my hands on either of these videos, but it's always worth a try, right?

Comment

Nice work on the cutting room floor page so far!

I've always been interested in the early development of Alan Wake too. I would like to see more about the prototype versions myself. I've never seen a game world in an open world game like Alan Wake's before.

Let me tell you, 80+ hours on steam running around the game environments (Outside the boundaries with trainers mostly) and taking screenshots with the aid of free camera really says something about how well designed the environments were.

My computer can barely run the game on low settings yet still it looks amazing.

The main thing that interests me about the early versions of the game is what the open world gameplay would have been like. The gameworld is still there in the game and can be fully explored with free camera on the PC version. However if you want to roam around as Alan with the aid of a trainer you will fall through the floor or freeze up if you venture too far. (If any Remedy employees are reading this, Could this be explained? The freezing up in one spot that is.) My theory behind it is that you left the episode's location range and the game doesn't know what to do if you are outside of the playable zone.

If you need any help with anything for the cutting room floor page regarding content in the final game that may have been leftover I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Sorry had a lot to say about the game over these years. Felt this was a good time to let it all out

Comment

PS: You can drive the police van outside the front of the Bright Falls sheriff station. One of the best things I've found so far.

Comment

Yeah, it's really strange how much there is to the world. If you own the Illuminated book, you can use the map to navigate through the world and find most places of interest in any mission.

I do wonder if the map was made for scenery or if it's a leftover from development. Judging by some early footage, it seems to be made for scenery.

It's kinda sad to hear that Remedy worked on Alan Wake for a long time as an open world game, just to end up with it no working. That's a huge amount of time and resources wasted. it was also kind of disappointing for us fans, who were eagerly waiting for it as an open world game. (The final game still blows my mind with its awesomeness though.) Hopefully Alan Wake 2 will be open world .

If you can open the models, that would be a huge help. A working texture viewer wouldn't hurt either .

Originally posted by deerfest View Post
                        PS: You can drive the police van outside the front of the Bright Falls sheriff station. One of the best things I've found so far.
                        Wait what, you can?

Comment

Oh man sorry it took me so long to reply. I actually forgot all about my post here

I would imagine that most of the map is a leftover from the open world design stage of the game although areas closer to the main mission locations were probably given a bit more polish and probably differ a lot from the earlier versions of the game. Especially the town.

And yes indeed you can. I think this may have just been a quick model drop though and not really a leftover from early development. With model swapping though it might be possible to drive around the town in Alan's car.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about model's and textures in this game (As much as I'd love to) so don't think I'd be the best help here Sorry.

Anything screenshot wise I could do though. Already have hundreds of them! At some point I'll probably end up getting The illuminated book too. That is probably the best source for early screenshots.

I'll need to start checking back here more frequently as well!

Comment

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=441519270

Comment

I really don't remember whether this really is a thing you can do (it's been a bunch of years!) and I don't have time to check, buuuuut I'm a little skeptical about this being a driveable vehicle. I wouldn't mind seeing a screenshot -- or video -- of Wake actually driving it. =)

As for the environments, those outside the actual playable area are generally quite unpolished, because there was no point in spending the work hours or the computing resources in making them look pretty up close -- the player was never intended to see them like that. From a distance, they look just fine. Of course, with the free camera you can take a much closer look at the world. The lack of polish is not just a question of textures, either; there's quite a bit of geometry there that we would have had to polish just because the player would have gotten stuck in the environment. Much of it isn't really playable; there are all sorts of gorges and whatnot you can fall down in, and then the angle is too steep for Wake to be able to climb back up. We would've fixed all that if the player was intended to go there, of course!

There are also areas where the environmental changes are very jarring if you look at things with the free camera -- there're stretched textures and spots where the countours of the environment clearly look very unnatural. This is because we sometimes had to make great changes to the existing environment to accommodate the actual levels we ended up with, but because the transition points between the polished areas and the original areas aren't visible to the player, it didn't matter at all and we could just leave them like that.

I don't know about the game freezing if you venture too far off the playable areas; I actually don't think I've heard about that before. What will happen is that you'll fall through the world, though, because there are supposed to be no collisions beyond a certain point -- so even though you can see the landscape, it has no physical presence. Again, it comes down to saving computing resources; there's no point in adding collisions (which eat up memory) to something the player is never meant to interact with.

I'm really glad we managed to get the free camera in there for the PC version; clearly, a lot of people have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that!
                              Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Working...
                              X